Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#561646 - 07/23/01 01:29 PM Re: You like the official Typhoon cockpit poster ?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's not just the interactive in cockpit button pushing I like to a certain extent
-easy handling is always nr. 1 ofcourse -on my list as with the real thing- but I also just like to LOOK at a nicely rendered cockpitpanel. Nothing wrong with that IMHO !?? Hell, take all those modders who dedicate days upon days fine tuning everything a real flight sim fan wants to see replicated.

I really don't get why some people -those who do the "positive" whining- get so upset from that, but that's really not my problem, (Tiger and all contrawhiners)

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#561647 - 07/23/01 01:41 PM Re: You like the official Typhoon cockpit poster ?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I appriciate the fact that Typhoon's systems are designed to ease workload on the pilot and that the HUD in the goggles will give the impression that Typhoon has (re popup MFDs), but the nagging thing that concerns me is having to cycle through lists of targets using Z and X.

I don't want 1000 buttons, either (hell, I don't even want 100), but ways to target LGBs using TIALD would be nice, rather than it being limited to vehicles.

Would be great if we could select targets them on the radar using the mouse cursor - in the real think pilots will be able to just look at the target and select it apparently!

Cheers,
Manteau

#561648 - 07/23/01 05:12 PM Re: You like the official Typhoon cockpit poster ?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was reading on that Eurofighter webpage about the Voice and HOTAS control system that the Typhoon uses other than the touch sensitive displays that the F-18E uses.

Well then. If RAGE were to put more functionality into the cockpit (hi-res graphic, MFDs embedded, and so on), a COOL thing would be to have proprietary support from MS Gamevoice. Yes, i know you could set up gamevoice with Typhoon, but have a disk come out with Gamevoice, for example, and a pre-made voice command file, featuring all the things controlled by the Typhoons voice command.

It would be neat, it would be clever, and it would again set Typhoon apart from the other sims out there. And it would actually be a realistic feature. Beat that.

Still, the cockpit interactivity in EF2000 represents one of the best balances between switchology and pointing your jet at a bad guy and shooting him down.

Gavin

#561649 - 07/23/01 05:38 PM Re: You like the official Typhoon cockpit poster ?  
valleyboy Offline
valleyboy  Offline

Aberdare, Wales, UK
Micro$$$$$$$$ Gamevoice?! Gamecommander will do me fine with Roger Wilko, half the damn price of Game$$voice, plus it needs only a P133 as a base line to run, unlike the microsofts eat all your CPU cycles up software
The VTAS system was prefered over touch screens due to the fact at 9G how the hell will you touch the screen? also the touch screen is far less reliable than the VTAS (Voice Throttle And Stick) and you can keep your hands on the controls to do things with, unless Boeing has invented a three arm pilot which can move 9 times his own body weight!?

------------------
If it aint bust, you haven't played with it enough!

"The engines are overheating, and so am I!!, we either make a move, or blow up!, So which is it to be?!"
----------------------------------
"It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
#561650 - 07/24/01 02:52 PM Re: You like the official Typhoon cockpit poster ?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, voice command is pretty cool. On the real EFT the computer does not even have to be trained to a particular pilot's dialect - alledgedly. Not sure how it works at 9g when the pilot is doing their anti-G breathing though

As far as HOTAS goes, I use an MS Force Feedback stick and the first thing I do with any new sim is program the joystick the way I want to. I almost never use the default joystick settings, but maybe that's just me being set in my ways! It only takes me about 5 mins anyway

I HATE mouse controls in flight sims. Even with a throttle control and a mouse-thumb button thingey (a technical term) I find it immensely cumbersome in the heat of battle. Even in Fly!, having to scroll around the aircraft panel with the mouse is painful. Although some people love it - maybe I'm just wierd

Cheers,
Kenji

#561651 - 07/24/01 03:25 PM Re: You like the official Typhoon cockpit poster ?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ktakeda:
I HATE mouse controls in flight sims. Even with a throttle control and a mouse-thumb button thingey (a technical term) I find it immensely cumbersome in the heat of battle. Kenji

A good pilot always anticipates. So, by the time you end up in the heat of battle, your systems should be set, and all necessary buttons already pushed. From then on it's HOTAS only, with maybe one or two buttons to push for adjustment.

So, again: no problem with a clickable cockpit in combat flightsims like EFT. And also it's just fun cycling radarmodes and seeing stuff light up and happen on MFD's during those long, quite boring stretches of flight to the danger zone

I'll keep critisizing OVERsimplification

#561652 - 07/24/01 04:29 PM Re: You like the official Typhoon cockpit poster ?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

A good pilot always anticipates. So, by the time you end up in the heat of battle, your systems should be set, and all necessary buttons already pushed. From then on it's HOTAS only, with maybe one or two buttons to push for adjustment.

Yeah, you're right on the money there Sixpack! Preparation is everything to a good fighter pilot. That's why I'm stuck in wind tunnels all day and not in a fighter plane

So, again: no problem with a clickable cockpit in combat flightsims like EFT. And also it's just fun cycling radarmodes and seeing stuff light up and happen on MFD's during those long, quite boring stretches of flight to the danger zone

Certainly does provide a good level of realism when you cycle the MFDs and radars. I'm just a bit impatient and want to be in the danger zone all the time!

I'll keep critisizing OVERsimplification

Go for it I'm all for realism, it's just my definition is different to yours. It's all subjective and we all like different things. That's what makes a game designer's job so difficult. You can't please all of the people all of the time.

If people don't express their opinions then nobody will be any the wiser. So keep those posts flying!!!

Cheers,
Kenji

#561653 - 07/24/01 09:01 PM Re: You like the official Typhoon cockpit poster ?  
Uroboros Offline
Uroboros  Offline

Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Manteau:

Would be great if we could select targets them on the radar using the mouse cursor - in the real think pilots will be able to just look at the target and select it apparently!

Cheers,
Manteau

I agree that would be nice. And we don't need in cockpit MFDs to do that either. It could easily work with the system as it is set up now. Heck there is a mouse pointer that pops up.

But pushing buttons really doesn't interest me. If a function can be easily done with a keyboard press (selecting targets being oen that's easier down with the mouse) I'd rather have it that way. As cool as it might be to press buttons in the real world..doing with the mouse is not that efficent when running a sim on a 17-19 inch monitor with limited viewing area.

In the real world the pilot can probably press a lot of his buttons without giving them a second glance. In the PC sim world you'd have to pan over to that panel that might be a screen or two away and then move your mouse over to click on it. Imagine creating a driving game where you had to use your mouse to press the door lock button or the window open/close button. Ugghh...not fun.

#561654 - 07/24/01 09:30 PM Re: You like the official Typhoon cockpit poster ?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Uroboros:

I agree that would be nice. And we don't need in cockpit MFDs to do that either. It could easily work with the system as it is set up now. Heck there is a mouse pointer that pops up.

But pushing buttons really doesn't interest me. If a function can be easily done with a keyboard press (selecting targets being oen that's easier down with the mouse) I'd rather have it that way. As cool as it might be to press buttons in the real world..doing with the mouse is not that efficent when running a sim on a 17-19 inch monitor with limited viewing area.

In the real world the pilot can probably press a lot of his buttons without giving them a second glance. In the PC sim world you'd have to pan over to that panel that might be a screen or two away and then move your mouse over to click on it. Imagine creating a driving game where you had to use your mouse to press the door lock button or the window open/close button. Ugghh...not fun.

I give up. Yeh, let's take it easy and go back to the basics: just the stick and 10 keys on the keyboard. And fake overlay MFD's. What a flight experience !

So long everybody.

#561655 - 07/24/01 09:31 PM Re: You like the official Typhoon cockpit poster ?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Uroboros:

Yeah, it should be easy - just hit test the MFD popups - they did it in EF2000 and TAW, and that was in the 3D cockpit, so it can't be THAT hard. (Admittedly, I wouldn't like to have a go at doing it, but )

Quote:

Yeah, good points.

I'd prefer it if you could do it with the keyboard and mouse, but as the popup MFDs only show the display, it would be easier to stick to the keyboard. There are quite a few key combinations to use up yet.

Just give a few more radar modes, possibly a DASS range like EF2000 had and TIALD targetting so we can target buildings (and fix the USB problems (and possibly weapons if you have time)) and I would be a very happy bunny

Cheers,
Manteau

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Incredible historical ironies
by PanzerMeyer. 04/03/24 01:56 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.