Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#561374 - 06/26/01 04:08 PM Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Check it out here :

http://www.pcarena.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000159.html

Sorry for the shameless plug.

De Janitor

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#561375 - 06/26/01 04:41 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Blond_Knight Offline
Blond_Knight  Offline

This is off the press release that Bob's link above points to, you gotta love some of these quotes:

...Eurofighter Typhoon raises the bar for combat flight games...

...The aircraft has ability to gain air superiority beyond visual range (BVR)...

...Including one of the most advanced campaign systems ever seen on a PC based simulation...

ROFLMAO! [wipes tear from eye] Oh Man! that is some funny stuff...and who said the Brits had a dry sense of humor?

------------------
See-Decide-Attack-Reverse

#561376 - 06/26/01 04:46 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great,

1. Will it come 'before or after the patch' V1.xx? Is 'the patch' coming at all? Or will we hear words of 'TyAW!' 'TyAW!'
(pucker lips and make sounds like donkey laughing it's 'ass' off...)

2. Will they offer money back guarantees and/or free shipping given the mixed bag reviews here?

3. Including shipping, _How Much_ and which retail outlets, when?

EB-I-hereby-return-thee?

Or 'Store Credit Please' Flo(m)pUSA?

Typical publicity stunt, plug systems like PIRATE (which is actually 'half TIALD' only less...) and Meteor (Ballast Ahoy Avast Yee!) and the almighty 'Mauser 27mm' cannon (aka 'The Phantom Menace'...snicker) without giving us much hard data to 'worry our poor little heads' over.

Kurt Plummer

P.S. Is it just me or does 'Hot Swap' sound like a title one would find decorating the boxtop of something in the naughty and nasty section of the local video store? Such masterly phrase turners these PR folk...

#561377 - 06/26/01 10:20 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah it's advertised as a sim, but as soon as someone complains it aint, people say it's a fun game.

"Paul Finnegan, Managing Director of Rage, commented: Eurofighter Typhoon is one of the most advanced military flight simulation games available today

Err, are we talking about the same game here?

Sorry, but ads like this are just creating a rod for Typhoons back.

------------------
\:\)

Hengist.

Hengist's MiG Alley Site.
http://www.hengist.co.uk/MiGAlley

#561378 - 06/26/01 10:55 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Hengist

You know, bandwidth is becoming expensive here at SimHQ. Rather than using your share and then some with your repeated complaints, why don't you give Mr Finnegan a call and tell him what you think? In fact, given the short distances in the UK, why don't you, Tracer, and the rest of the Typhoon gang just pay him a visit?

I'm sure he would be very receptive to your constructive feedback.

Andy

#561379 - 06/27/01 12:42 AM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Uroboros Offline
Uroboros  Offline

Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Bush:
Hengist

You know, bandwidth is becoming expensive here at SimHQ. Rather than using your share and then some with your repeated complaints, why don't you give Mr Finnegan a call and tell him what you think? In fact, given the short distances in the UK, why don't you, Tracer, and the rest of the Typhoon gang just pay him a visit?

Andy

Agreed!

At this point you either hate Typhoon, or you like it (while admiting it has flaws). If you fall into the former catagory; what exactly is the point of bitching and complaining here? If Typhoon isn't for you, move on to a sim you like. What exactly does the complaining for the sake of complaining acomplish ?

#561380 - 06/27/01 01:56 AM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Blond_Knight Offline
Blond_Knight  Offline

I believe that many people continue to complain in the hope that they can drive their point(s) home to the developer and thereby improve the game.

BTW when you do stop by to see Steve, make sure you take enough Brimstones to knock on the door.
------------------

[This message has been edited by Blond_Knight (edited 06-26-2001).]

#561381 - 06/27/01 02:19 AM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
BK

I see you list your occupation as 'tech support'.

Have you ever had someone keep calling you back with the same complaints...long after you have done everything you can for them?

What do you say to them? "Keep calling...maybe we'll get the message eventually." Or do you finally reach the point where you want to say "Enough already!!"?

Seriously...don't you think the Rage people have gotten the point? This continued reposting of complaints has become like picking off scabs...and is just about as productive.

Andy

#561382 - 06/27/01 03:22 AM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh my... I thought I was harsh. All in all, I agree with Andy. I know it's about free speech and all but you know, it's counterproductive...

Let those who enjoy it look forward to it instead of spoiling it for others yeah? One man's food is another man's poison...

De Janitor

#561383 - 06/27/01 03:23 AM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Blond_Knight Offline
Blond_Knight  Offline

I certainly see your point, but I dont think it really applies here. We're all for making a less technical sim to bring new blood into the hobby, but to dumb it down to where USAF looks like a study sim is just ridiculous. Because of the excessive lite nature many of us are not happy with it 'as-is'. As I see it there are two distinct differences in this case and your analogy Andy:

1. Did/Rage CAN make significant changes to the game if they choose to.

2 Money talks and bullsh!t walks : Ie If you want us to buy this product and the proposed addon, AND recommend it to our friends your going to have to give us what WE want.

------------------

#561384 - 06/27/01 03:53 AM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
BK

I can't justify what someone else says about Typhoon...but here, we have never said Typhoon was a sim. From day one, Leon and I have used the word "game" and have said why in any number of posts.

The current movie "Pearl Harbor" has been pounded in the reviews...people are screaming bloody murder about its historical inaccuracies, despite the fact that the storyline has been known for some time. It's a love story, not the History Channel! People looking for a history lesson should go elsewhere.

Same for Typhoon. It's a game, not a sim in the strict sense of the word...and certainly not like the hardcore crowd sees that term. It does no good for people to continue to demand that the game become something it was never supposed to be.

Don't get me wrong. When Leon and I first saw the game, we were really put off. It was nothing like we had imagined. But, after playing it...and realizing what Rage was aiming at...we decided that there was something to the game after all.

Am I happy with all of the problems that have come up? Absolutely not.

Do I understand how the game could have been released with these problems? Quite frankly, no.

But, unfortunately, it did get released with a number of problems. I'm glad to see Steve Hunt taking the active interest that he is...and I'm equally happy to see some folks attempting some aftermarket improvements. I hope they are successful.

Lastly, please be careful when you use the word "you". I'm not a Rage employee. I have no control over this product and was not involved in its development. All I have to give you is a decent forum and eventually a Strategy Guide that you might find of value.

Andy

#561385 - 06/27/01 03:55 AM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Uroboros Offline
Uroboros  Offline

Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Blond_Knight:
I certainly see your point, but I dont think it really applies here. We're all for making a less technical sim to bring new blood into the hobby, but to dumb it down to where USAF looks like a study sim is just ridiculous. Because of the excessive lite nature many of us are not happy with it 'as-is'. As I see it there are two distinct differences in this case and your analogy Andy:

1. Did/Rage CAN make significant changes to the game if they choose to.

True..but Typhoon is probably never going to be (or ever was) what some people here want it to be...period. Those people are best served by looking elsewhere.

No amount of complaining is going to get you served caviar at Wendy's or Burger King.

#561386 - 06/27/01 11:14 AM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have an idea Andy, why don't you let people be honest and comment on Typhoon the way they see it unfolding. Good or bad. I don't mean to be harsh, but whenever someone says anything negative about Typhoon, you seem to take it personally. I think that's why people get confused about you not working for Rage. I happen to like Typhoon myself, but this forum is really starting to get stuffy. I feel I have made some friends when I started reading and commenting on this forum, but get the feeling from your posts that negitive comment just aren't welcome here. One thing you have to understand is thgere are new people coming aboard all the time. That's why these same topics keep coming up from time to time.

One other thing, Steve commented a short time ago that openning up the campaign could take as long as 3-4 months. This I feel is a big mistake. Making this sim re-playable and fixing the obvious problems should be given top priority to keep everyone on board while they have them. People are dropping like flies over these problems and even though we hear something may be in the works, it seems to be taken longer than it should. This is just my observation and how I see things unfolding.

So please give people they're say, good or bad. After all, isn't that what these forums are all about.

#561387 - 06/27/01 11:38 AM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Blond_Knight Offline
Blond_Knight  Offline

Quote:
Lastly, please be careful when you use the word "you". I'm not a Rage employee.

I know that your not, I meant "you" strictly in the figurative sense. We value the objective, impartial impressions and reviews from SimHQ. Some other sites have been known to heavily edit or sit on a unflattering review of a product, those sites sit nearly abandoned, we are here.

------------------

#561388 - 06/27/01 12:06 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Andy,

It's just our fear of Typhoon creating a precedent, a tendency/development that no producer will want or feels the need (!) to deal with the trouble of making a "realistic" sim anymore. The fear of Typhoon creating a new benchmark for producers !

I know what you are going to say back: No sim is fully realistic (agreed) and: what about IL-2, Lock on and TW ? Well sure, HC Flight sims are still commercially alive to this date it appears (and will always be).
THIS IS THANX TO THE HC-CROWD who is buying and testing/playing every new sim avalable, not the people who buy Typhoon as their only "FS" (ever), play it for 5 hours over a course of six months and leave it then, post some basic questions in this forum and play other genres the rest of the time !

#561389 - 06/27/01 12:39 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Uroboros Offline
Uroboros  Offline

Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by sixpack:
Andy,

It's just our fear of Typhoon creating a precedent, a tendency/development that no producer will want or feels the need (!) to deal with the trouble of making a "realistic" sim anymore. The fear of Typhoon creating a new benchmark for producers !

Do simmers really have this fear?! Come on folks, the kind of sim that's produced, is purely based on the kind of sim that sells.
Producers will feel the desire to go through the trouble (the time, effort and money required) of making a realistic sim if the market demands it.

Typhoon isn't going to influence the market beyond Rage/DID and whether they make another sim or not.

#561390 - 06/27/01 01:11 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey guys, we've heard all these arguments before......you know .... 'Game v Sim'!? , 'marketing propaganda' , 'I want this', 'I want that', 'this is crap , 'this is amazing', 'Steve should do this', 'Realistic ? ROFLAO ', ' EF2000 is much better', Give us a Clickable cockpit .... blah blah blah blah blah.....

Ive got an idea....

Why dont we have a dedicated forum , not for complaining (as it gets p*ss*d on !) , but where we can constructively VOTE on what us Typhoon pilots want !? you know like a live survey .....with results graphs...

Sounds easy to me......

Then that way, RAGE & the Typhoon team , Mr Steve Hunt ,3rd part modifiers etc.. can stand back and look at the big picture , and say ...this is what our customers want, lets give it to 'em....

That way we can see the wood from the trees....

Andy , what do you rekon ???

[This message has been edited by Cool_1 (edited 06-27-2001).]

#561391 - 06/27/01 01:56 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Andy

I (very stupidly) bought my copy of Typhoon from PCWorld - that means no refunds.

I was quite happy to accept the game as 'a game'.

But the product is essentially flawed (technically) and I, like many others, am fed up with having to put up with buying faulty goods. To name one example; USB is not exactly cutting edge technology is it? Why on Earth are USB joysticks having so many problems with this game? This game was put on the market with known faults/problems, and in any other industry this is criminal.

On my new computer I can't get past the ecranoplan missions because the game always crashes, and nothing I do seems to fix it - I've now given up. Is it right for me to spend hours of my valuable time trying to fix someone else's mistakes?

I've paid good money for what is basicaly junk - I think I have a right to complain. And to complain and complain and complain, until something is done.

Die Hard

#561392 - 06/27/01 02:06 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Coffee, Cool, and all

I've got no problem with complaints...these forums are an equal opportunity avenue for folks to express their feeling anyway they want (well...within the bounds of civility!).

For the most part, the complaints about Typhoon have been legitimate...and express many of my own feelings.

But, here at SimHQ, there is a limit. People come here to get reliable info, good or bad. I think this has been the case with this forum. While most posts fall into the middle, some have ended up on the fringes, both of them. These are the posts that do a disservice to you readers. They are neither objective or, in some cases, even factual.

Then there are the posters that seem to be like a broken record, and, like trying to listen to a broken record, reading their posts gets irritating over time. The broken record never gets past the bad spot, and neither do these people. You know who they are. Use our search function and call up one of their names. Read their posts...and then ask yourself if these posts are productive in the larger view.

Coffee1, you ask me to let people have their say. I think we have, within the bounds of SimHQ 'policy'. If posts need to go past that, then there are other places to go.

Cool_1...I think forums such as this one give the developers all the feedback they can handle! Regardless of the sim (or game), we, as a group, are not shy in posting our demands. The problem is that developers may not be too inclined to listen once the sim has been released. Particularly when the outcry is for modifications that would essentially remake the entire focus of the sim. Patches to fix specific problems are fine...but a major shift in gameplay objectives is just not going to happen.

For complaints on this level, the marketplace is going to have the final say, for better or worse.

Here's my position regarding this forum. Sugar catches more flies than salt. Let's keep it clean and the criticisms productive.

Andy

#561393 - 06/27/01 02:56 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Coffee, Cool, and all

Cool_1...I think forums such as this one give the developers all the feedback they can handle! Regardless of the sim (or game), we, as a group, are not shy in posting our demands. The problem is that developers may not be too inclined to listen once the sim has been released. Particularly when the outcry is for modifications that would essentially remake the entire focus of the sim. Patches to fix specific problems are fine...but a major shift in gameplay objectives is just not going to happen.

For complaints on this level, the marketplace is going to have the final say, for better or worse.

Here's my position regarding this forum. Sugar catches more flies than salt. Let's keep it clean and the criticisms productive.

Andy

and sticky buns and fly swatters catch more flys than sugar....so lets get these problems sorted !!!

I thought a Typhoon pilots poll would be a popular idea ....(even if its ignored !!!

#561394 - 06/27/01 03:39 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Definately a good idea - whatever the results.

Die Hard

#561395 - 06/27/01 04:39 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Hengist

Andy

Andy,

I never said I was complaining about the game Typhoon???

What I was attempting to point out was the marketing line being put out. Typhoon is a great entry level sim as I've consistently said.

My point is that people complain about Typhoon not having X,Y and Z features once they buy it after seeing ads/quotes like the one I posted above.

I think you may have slightly misjudged the whole point of my post. I'll put it down to your American understanding of our English language (that bit's joke - please don't get upset and ban me ).

Regards,

------------------
\:\)

Hengist.

#561396 - 06/27/01 05:08 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Uroboros:
[B] Do simmers really have this fear?! Come on folks, the kind of sim that's produced, is purely based on the kind of sim that sells.
Producers will feel the desire to go through the trouble (the time, effort and money required) of making a realistic sim if the market demands it.

Exactly my point That's why complaining in these boards and posting requests for developers to read is just right; over and over again.

#561397 - 06/27/01 05:32 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

>

Andy,

Exactly! The point is that if this community has any power, that is to (marginally) influence sales! I end up buying almost all sims anyway (I'm sick) but before that I was relying on people's opinions on combatsim.com forums and on SimHQ now A LOT MORE than any review made by any (biased)magazine!

So the hope here is to force companies to make good sims! Saying the truth about a bad product (that did not met the community expectations) is a way to protest against a "don't worry if it is crap, they will buy it anyway " policy.
Or at least I want to believe that that is the intention of the simmers here.

for a non-globalization of all sims

-.-

#561398 - 06/27/01 07:17 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Tracer[formerly of CS] Offline
Tracer[formerly of CS]  Offline

Quote:
Hengist

Andy

Andy, i *paid* for the sim....my money is gone!
I put valid question's to Steve and he doesn't answer them!! No i'm not being a moaning arse. Rather i'm putting forward constructive criticism and glaring fault's in the game/gameplay.

ie:
"When you engage the Motherland, your wingman is as much use as a chocolate fireguard!.....why? Because the **only** way to win is by using an air-to-ground weapon (CRV-7) on an Aircraft!!"

Yes that's bloody logical Andy?

It's broken, because if you have one pilot left ok, the CPU load's out the CAP plane's that will "help" huh! you with A/A weapon's.

Now since the Motherland **can't** be engaged by anyform of A/A weapon other than gun's!!! You tell me what form of logic then applies to that equation?

They first use their BVR's then use their ASRAAM's and then all get shot down...finito
Gun's is last on their list and by then the Motherland has turned them into sive's!

My reaction; it wasn't tested with one pilot?
how do i know?.........well let's say 10-15 attempt's with the above screwed up equation with not one answer as to how to complete it!

I can carry 80CRV-7 for the Motherland i need to carry A/A for it's 8 escort ok?
I'm **ONE** pilot remember!

I hit it with the 80CRV-7 from about 2miles out...it still flies!?
I empty my gun's into it it still flzzzzzzzzz......

You wonder why i have a problem!?

I wouldn't waste my time with Mr Finnegan.
If Typhoon's problem's aren't addressed in a patch then i'll do my talking with my wallet *and* never buy another One of their products again. Simple as that.
I'm slightly more mature than to go "banging" on his door when he's probably about elusive as Sadam.

Hell, the American's sue anything at the drop of a hat!
I'm trying to be a bit more productive?
Instead it's all to simple to go "blind" on the internet and read what you want to read eh?
et all at Rage.......................ah well their loss.

Tracer

------------------
"Flying is the second hardest thing known to man.........the first is landing!"

#561399 - 06/27/01 08:30 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

If it helps any - I have completed with one pilot (Villain)

Loadout: 120 CRV-7,Centre Fuel
(Remove wingtip ASRAAMs and conformal meteors)

After takeoff head straight for waypoint at 180% throttle until motherland appears in HUD, then aim off to LHS and instruct wingman to fly attack formation. Round the motherland at 4 miles separation and line up at the rear. IGNORE THE DRONES. At 3 miles separation on its six, brake and set throttle autopilot when at 450 knots. zoom in and fire all CRVs below/to the right of the motherland - when all crvs are gone the UCAVs appear to peel off (maybe the pilots are all concussed aboard the motherland Move into gun range and set throttle autopilot again to 450 - instruct wingie to engage motherland - I find I can avoid most of the flak by jinking in a vertical axis (pitch only) then cannons until the motherland drops out of the sky

Hope this helps

Norb

p.s. - throttle not functioning on a gameport stick running win2k - crash to desktop when trying to view EBC news (GeForce3) detonator 12.4 drivers - anyone with any ideas - btw latest patch applied

#561400 - 06/28/01 08:55 AM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Andy[/B][/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm having a bad week or something, I don't know, but here's my take on what most message board limits are, and you can correct me if SimHQ's boards are different.

I have always been of the understanding that as long as you keep things clean, and not flame anyone, you can basically say what you want concerning the topic at hand. That's the way all other board operate that I visit. I agree that doing searches on certain topics is a good idea if you are looking for something specific, have the time to do the searches, or are a recluse and don't want to talk to anyone, but given the limit that this game has as far as game complexity and re-playability, you can make the point that just about everything that can be said about this game has already been discussed. Hell, the most recent post on many boards have been talked about over and over again. OK, so what? If you don't dare to continue to challenge Rage and other game/sims produces how does one go about changing anything?

When I started visiting this board and asking a few questions, you remarked that I should do a search and find my answer that way. That's all good, but maybe I just want to talk to someone about my problem or concerns and have someone respond to me.

As complex as F4 is, I find that most F4 boards cover the same things over and over too. New ideas always seem to come from the topics that have been repeated many times over. That's the beauty of it.

As far as I'm concerned, productivity in someone comments are relative. I would hate to think that people are holding back on commenting because they might not think it's productive enough, or deserving of the cost of bandwidth.

Anyway, I'm not going to beat a dead horse, just had to comment on what's bothering me.
Thanks for the time.
Coffee

PS. If someone know's of any other Typhoon boards that are more "open" can you please send me the addy to:
JFULLER2@mn.rr.com
Thanks

[This message has been edited by Coffee1 (edited 06-28-2001).]

#561401 - 06/28/01 09:33 AM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
valleyboy Offline
valleyboy  Offline

Aberdare, Wales, UK
I think what they mean is, that people are moaning at the rate that they want to change Typhoon into something it wasn't and isn't meant to be.....like geting clickable cockpits, 100000 buttons that do trivial things as far as combat goes, I have to agree with Andy, as people are going around moaning as if they advertised Falcon, and gove us Fighters Anthology.....when what they advertised was Typhoon, and they gave us Typhoon..... You will only be dissapointed if you expect to much.

Yes Typhoon does have it's problems...but people are moaning as if no other game ever did.....look at the USB problem, EECH had it, they fixed it eventually, and I have no doubt that Rage/DID will fix this too.
But some people have moaned and blamed Typhoon when it is a driver problem they need to look into... If Rage made Typhoon to look at the output of DirectX for its controls.....and DirectX doesn't give the right output......whos fault is it???? The joystick maker? Rage/DID??? or microsoft for giving us one of the most bug ridden pieces of software in history......apart from any of my atempts at software engineering at uni! I know which one I shall blame for the time being.....

Now I dont wish to P!SS any one off, so I appologise for any offence that may be taken, be it implied or otherwise...

Now I know things have hit the fan, when I need to put a disclaimer at the end of a post!

------------------
If it aint bust, you haven't played with it enough!

"The engines are overheating, and so am I!!, we either make a move, or blow up!, So which is it to be?!"
----------------------------------
"It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
#561402 - 06/28/01 09:57 AM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Uroboros Offline
Uroboros  Offline

Brooklyn, NY
No need for a disclaimer valleyboy; and I doubt there is any offense taken. I think you hit the nail right on the head. And I could've not said better myself.

#561403 - 06/28/01 12:03 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Uboros

Well, he (valleyboy) has NOT in fact 'hit the nail on the head'. He has simply voiced his own opinion - an opinion which you (predictably maybe) subsribe to. Many others will not.

[Insert relevant disclaimer/apology here]

Die Hard

#561404 - 06/28/01 12:35 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Uroboros Offline
Uroboros  Offline

Brooklyn, NY
OK..In My Honest Opinion, he hit the nail on the head. Better?

#561405 - 06/28/01 02:02 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Coffee

That post is fair enough, but one small clarification, if I could.

Our SimHQ boards are not like many of the others. People are not free to say anything they want when it is to the detriment of the overall purpose of the forum.

This forum was set up to answer questions about Typhoon and to pass along any help that was needed.

It was not set up to be a "I hate Rage/Typhoon" forum. Angry, spiteful posts may have their place...but not a big one. Once a point has been made, then we should leave it there...particularly when the same small group of dissatisfied players are making repeated complaints about the same problems.

I have to ask myself, "What's the point?" Do these people think we need to be reminded weekly on how angry they are? Do they think the developers are being encouraged to greater efforts when they read the continuing spew of angry complaints?

Note the use of the word "angry". These posts are not simple "This doesn't work and needs to be fixed" posts. As we all have seen, these posts have gone far beyond that. When this happens..as it has here..then this web site steps in and says "enough!".

Why? First of all, it's our site and we make the rules. It's as simple as that.

But more important, we know that most of our readers don't come here to read bitching and moaning, especially when nothing new is being said. They know that all sides of an issue will get a fair airing. From that, they can decide one way or the other.

The crux of the issue is the "fair airing" question. Someone has to decide when something goes too far.

On our boards, the SimHQ staff makes that call. Not to clamp down on anyone...but to keep these boards as open and as informative as possible without providing an open venue to anyone of any point of view who just wants to mouth off.

Andy

#561406 - 06/28/01 02:28 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

Quote:
Originally posted by Norb:
If it helps any - I have completed with one pilot (Villain)

Loadout: 120 CRV-7,Centre Fuel
(Remove wingtip ASRAAMs and conformal meteors)

After takeoff head straight for waypoint at 180% throttle until motherland appears in HUD, then aim off to LHS and instruct wingman to fly attack formation. Round the motherland at 4 miles separation and line up at the rear. IGNORE THE DRONES. At 3 miles separation on its six, brake and set throttle autopilot when at 450 knots. zoom in and fire all CRVs below/to the right of the motherland - when all crvs are gone the UCAVs appear to peel off (maybe the pilots are all concussed aboard the motherland Move into gun range and set throttle autopilot again to 450 - instruct wingie to engage motherland - I find I can avoid most of the flak by jinking in a vertical axis (pitch only) then cannons until the motherland drops out of the sky

Hope this helps

Norb

p.s. - throttle not functioning on a gameport stick running win2k - crash to desktop when trying to view EBC news (GeForce3) detonator 12.4 drivers - anyone with any ideas - btw latest patch applied

Thankyou Norb, Now you are the first post that i have read that *actualy* completed this mission with one pilot. -in other words it's a rare day indeed!
I will try your method and see how i get on.

It's such a pity that the method to destroy the Motherland was a boring CRV-7 since it's 2015...you would have thought that Rage could have used our own "future weapon"? Then our wingman would look cool in a last stand dogfight -sky full of contrails etc....NATO in the game, is still in the dark ages, forget 2015. More like 1915!

Tracer

------------------

#561407 - 06/29/01 10:05 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Uroboros:
Agreed!

At this point you either hate Typhoon, or you like it (while admiting it has flaws). If you fall into the former catagory; what exactly is the point of bitching and complaining here? If Typhoon isn't for you, move on to a sim you like. What exactly does the complaining for the sake of complaining acomplish ?

Uroboros,

I have nothing against you personally (*I'll get back to that later), but it seems that whenever Andy says something, five minutes later you come along and kinda say the samething. It's almost like your waiting for Andy to give you the green light and you hide behind his statements.

Now because some people have replied 'off topic/the subject I was referring to', and implied that I was attacking the game Typhoon (which wasn't the case, I was referring to the marketing ploy being put around), it smacks slightly of a personal attack. So I feel I also have to become personal (which is something I hate) and defend myself, seeing as nobody has had the decency to acknowledge my point, (I don't expect an apology from this BBS by the way).

So I have to say...
'If Typhoon isn't for you, move on to a sim you like. What exactly does the complaining for the sake of complaining acomplish ?'...

If other points of view aren't for you, move on to a thread you like. What exactly does complaining for the sake of complaining acomplish? If you fall into the former catagory; what exactly is the point of bitching and complaining here?

Hell I have been spending a lot of time creating an editor based on the files Steve Hunt sent me (and also through my own Hex editing efforts). I'm now in a position where Typhoon plays more like the game I was lead to believe it was from reading the ads about it. If I can't say what's on my mind without people personally attacking me and misquoting my statements, then it just leaves a nasty taste in my mouse (*edit: mouse? lol, even my mouth as well )... so much so, that I may just release my editor without official backing. I could go on to comment about the strategy guide, and say what strategy? or more to the point... what tactical level is going to be explained, but I think I've already said enough on this.

All I want to say, is please think about your replies before you post.

Like I said, I have nothing against you personally or others for that matter...

------------------

Hengist.

[This message has been edited by *Hengist* (edited 06-29-2001).]

#561408 - 06/30/01 12:34 AM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Uroboros Offline
Uroboros  Offline

Brooklyn, NY
Trust me, I'm not hiding behind Andy or anything like that; we're actually the same person. Just kidding.

Looking back at my post; it really wasn't directed at anything you said; even though it did come after a post by Andy directed to you. Sorry if it seemed that way; I was responding to Andy's statement and you just got caught in the crossfire. Actually your comments regarding this quote..

"Eurofighter Typhoon is one of the most advanced military flight simulation games available today

was valid and I agree with you. My comment was directed more at the level of SOME of the complaints directed towards the game. I say "some" because I'll be the first to admit that Typhoon has a little more than a few things worth complaining about.

Again..no offense or insult intended towards you.

BTW..great to editor you are working in an editor. Sounds good.

[This message has been edited by Uroboros (edited 06-29-2001).]

#561409 - 07/01/01 10:29 AM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

haven't been to this board for a while

and the same shit is till going on
repetitive bickering from certain posters
and endless replies from the moderator going nowhere

fact is the game isn't what most users wanted it to be.. so this board will never become what the
moderator wants it to be.... nuff said

anyway i like typhoon for what it is
and if steve fullfills the promesis he made
for the supported addon and the unsupported patch all is fine for me..

well i will skip my comments on this game .. this because the moderator wont like it and probably will pet me like a dog.. or little child

nor will i bring up the outstanding points of this sim (i am calling this a lite (sugar/fat free) sim) as i probably get flamed be the dissapointed buyers department

anyways Steve in generally Typhoon is a very good piece of software and i enjoy it alot
..good luck with your addon and ofcoarse the unsupported patch you mentioned...

------------------
Metalhead aka Widowmaker

#561410 - 07/01/01 04:25 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think this is a case of "too many chiefs and not enough Indians" with management and PR/Advertising not knowing a thing about the game.

The fact that there seem to be so few developers who were involved with the Typhoon team (as opposed to the number who made TAW and Wargasm) just shows (IMO anyway) what's going on.

I think this is probably the main reason that the game isn't what a lot of people thought it could have been.

Steve himself has said that multiplayer campaign would take ages to develop.

The number of times I've seen products advertised as something they are obviously not is amazing. I've seen graphics software advertised as "database" software (because you could store images as files... ???).

I've left Typhoon now (off my HD too) because replaying it isn't interesting or worth it IMO, and it's so tedious (waiting for missions).

I don't think I'll be going for the carrier ops addon either. I may have a play around with the unofficial opening up patch, but I doubt it because the game would still be based with "fly six pilots and wait for them to have a mission" - this IMO is the biggest flaw.

What would get me back to it, would be a TAW style game, as I've said many times before (and so have other people), without the "fly six pilots", "wait for a mission", and "toned down weapons". But I can't see this ever happening, due to financial reasons, number of developers and other things.

It's sad really, the game technically had so much potential, it has to be one of the best looking games graphically, but I'd prefer content over appearance.

RIP Typhoon.

Cheers,
Manteau

#561411 - 07/01/01 08:23 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Die Hard:
Andy

I (very stupidly) bought my copy of Typhoon from PCWorld - that means no refunds.

I was quite happy to accept the game as 'a game'.

But the product is essentially flawed (technically) and I, like many others, am fed up with having to put up with buying faulty goods. To name one example; USB is not exactly cutting edge technology is it? Why on Earth are USB joysticks having so many problems with this game? This game was put on the market with known faults/problems, and in any other industry this is criminal.

On my new computer I can't get past the ecranoplan missions because the game always crashes, and nothing I do seems to fix it - I've now given up. Is it right for me to spend hours of my valuable time trying to fix someone else's mistakes?

I've paid good money for what is basicaly junk - I think I have a right to complain. And to complain and complain and complain, until something is done.

Die Hard

As Die Hard says, Buggy software is something that is indeed at the borders to criminality. This has to be dealt with. If complaining is the correct way to do it, I don't know. But at least it is something.

For the "Typhoon is not a sim" part, I think it indeed has been advertised as a 'lite' sim; not a FPS as I think it should. TAW is a lite sim!

I just have to share this as it is related to buggy software:

Typhoon is not the buggiest thing I ever saw, not even Falcon 4! I played through Fallout Tactics, it took me quite a while since it crashed every ten or twenty minutes. The developers even JOKED about it in the end scene!

The bad guy said something like this in the end:

-bad guy (a computer): You have crashed my systems over and over again. But you have been stubborn and not given up... bla bla bla...

------------------
Best Regards - Cain

#561412 - 07/01/01 09:24 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Uroboros Offline
Uroboros  Offline

Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Manteau:
I've left Typhoon now (off my HD too) because replaying it isn't interesting or worth it IMO, and it's so tedious (waiting for missions).

I don't think I'll be going for the carrier ops addon either. I may have a play around with the unofficial opening up patch, but I doubt it because the game would still be based with "fly six pilots and wait for them to have a mission" - this IMO is the biggest flaw.

What would get me back to it, would be a TAW style game, as I've said many times before (and so have other people), without the "fly six pilots", "wait for a mission", and "toned down weapons". But I can't see this ever happening, due to financial reasons, number of developers and other things.

Cheers,
Manteau

Personally I don't have a problem with the six pilots, and I'm getting use to the toned down weapons (you just have to learn how to use them); it's the waiting that needs to be fixed above ANYTHING else IMHO.

There has to be a way to make sure that one of your pilots is always involved in a mission. Hopefully Steve can come up with an elegant solution to this.

MY solution would be to simply scrap the whole notion of JUST 6 pilots. I would have it set up like TAW giving you access to ANY mission involving Typhoons. BUT, as a compromise I would limit that amount of pilot losses that you'd be allowed. You lose 6 pilots and the game is over for you.

That probably isn't doable..so I'll leave it for Steve to figure it out.

[This message has been edited by Uroboros (edited 07-01-2001).]

#561413 - 07/01/01 09:45 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Uroboros:
Personally I don't have a problem with the six pilots, and I'm getting use to the toned down weapons (you just have to learn how to use them); it's the waiting that needs to be fixed above ANYTHING else IMHO.

I wouldn't mind the fly six pilots thing if I could trust the AI do fight when I was doing other things. From my experience they don't - they get into trouble and the pilot bar pops up flashing red.

I agree the waiting is the main problem.

Quote:
There has to be a way to make sure that one of your pilots is always involved in a mission. Hopefully Steve can come up with an elegant solution to this.

MY solution would be to simply scrap the whole notion of JUST 6 pilots. I would have it set up like TAW giving you access to ANY mission involving Typhoons. BUT, as a compromise I would limit that amount of pilot losses that you'd be allowed. You lose 6 pilots and the game is over for you.

That probably isn't doable..so I'll leave it for Steve to figure it out.

I think the easiest way would be to just open up some of the missions. I've clicked on the smart view button loads of times when I didn't have any missions to fly to find an Typhoon doing a mission. Admittedly, I see more Apaches doing Airfield denial and Lynx's flying around.

Surely I'd be better at airfield denial in a Typhoon than an Apache???

Another thing that would be easier is to just allow weapons in ferry flights. Then when there are no missions, we just swap bases, take off, and fly around doing a custom mission to our choosing

Cheers,
Manteau

#561414 - 07/02/01 01:27 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Psycho Offline
Psycho  Offline

NY, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by valleyboy:
...look at the USB problem, EECH had it, they fixed it eventually

They keyword here being "eventually". That was a very long drawn out "eventually". Something on the order of a 9 month "eventually" if I recall correctly. I'd like to think that a function so critical to product usability would be able to be dealt with in a more timely fashion. I know it's an apples to oranges comparison, but imagine if you had a new car and found out the the steering wheel wouldn't do anything. Then imagine them taking 9 months to fix it. Then imagine further that you bought it at dealership that wouldn't give your money back.

Jon

#561415 - 07/02/01 11:38 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
valleyboy Offline
valleyboy  Offline

Aberdare, Wales, UK
Well, we are talking about the world of PC's......there was a little joke going around a while ago about microsoft and some vehicle manufacturer..... Bill Gates said for a laugh that they should build cars like microsoft makes it's software......they took this as an insult, and replied if we make cars like you make software, they will break down without warning, all the flashing lights will go off for no reason, it will randomly loose all its petrol, when you put the right key in the door it still wont open.
It would never start under any weather conditions.........and if they were to make cars like computers they would make them like Apple Macs....

Or something simular to the above, I shall try and dig it out from somewhere......
Anyhow, what I am saying is that most problems seem to be with microsoft products.....so why isn't any one moaning to them? The rate that some people go on about things, it's like Typhoon is all evil and should be sent to hell......I don't belive in god, so that method can shove itself where it belongs! People keep on going on like Typhoon is the only buggy piece of software ever made.......the truth is, it isn't. USB's aren't the newest things on this planet........anyhow this is what I am saying.....

IF TYPHOON WORKS WITH SOME USB JOYSTICKS (which it does) AND NOT OTHERS, THEN WHO IS TO BLAME!!???

IF IT WERE TYPHOON, THEN NO USB JOYSTICK WOULD WORK WHAT SO EVER, BUT SOME DO, SO IMHO GO BUG BILL GATES AND TELL HIM THAT DIRECTX SUCKS, NOW GET IT TO WORK PROPERLY....

Now, if you can't tell from the above, I am geting stressed, I am going on my holidays in a weeks time....and my boss has decided to pile evry piece of work possible for me to do before I go.......Then when I get back, my parents are likely to know I need to resit the year at uni.....

I bid you good night......for I am in need of alcohol.....NOW!!!!!

------------------

"The engines are overheating, and so am I!!, we either make a move, or blow up!, So which is it to be?!"
"It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
#561416 - 07/03/01 08:18 AM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Manteau,

You say tom-ay-toe...

I say- "Arme Propulsee Antipiste A Charges Ejectables"....;-)

As long as you are doing direct attack, you should have perhaps a 30-50% chance of survival, especially all on your lonesome.

And the Hellfire-L's should be able to kill airplanes 'at least as well' (snicker) as Brimstone does tanks, sitting on the ground in open revetments or indeed in closed HAS where available. Individually delivered shaped charges and an MMW metallic-mass MMR cue are 'nice' that way.

How deep the defenses around the AB are and how active the overhead CAP before you get there will decide much but other than pure ranged-repeat, if they want to send in the Army, by all means, grab yer Longbow errr Squanto?!

Better you than 'Cluster' (****)-me.

I'll be 'comforting' your wife when they bring you back on your shield.

KP

LINK-
Smart Munitions, The Next Gen
http://vectorsite.tripod.com/avbomb9.html#m4

#561417 - 07/03/01 08:33 AM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurt Plummer:
Manteau,

You say tom-ay-toe...

I say- "Arme Propulsee Antipiste A Charges Ejectables"....;-)

As long as you are doing direct attack, you should have perhaps a 30-50% chance of survival, especially all on your lonesome.

And the Hellfire-L's should be able to kill airplanes 'at least as well' (snicker) as Brimstone does tanks, sitting on the ground in open revetments or indeed in closed HAS where available. Individually delivered shaped charges and an MMW metallic-mass MMR cue are 'nice' that way.

How deep the defenses around the AB are and how active the overhead CAP before you get there will decide much but other than pure ranged-repeat, if they want to send in the Army, by all means, grab yer Longbow errr Squanto?!

Better you than 'Cluster' (****)-me.

I'll be 'comforting' your wife when they bring you back on your shield.

En Anglais, s'il vous plait???????!?!?!!?!?

Cheers,
Manteau

#561418 - 07/03/01 09:57 AM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
valleyboy Offline
valleyboy  Offline

Aberdare, Wales, UK
Maen rhaid i chi lot stopio siarad bollocks. A Kurt, beth ydy o gyda eich munitions this a munitions that, os oedd yr Americanwyr mor dda, pam wnaeth nhw colli yn Nam!

There, I shall buy a pint to someone that can read that!

Wales......home of the second longest name place on Earth.....

Llanfairpwllgwyrngychgogeryllwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

------------------

#561419 - 07/03/01 01:57 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
There, I shall buy a pint to someone that can read that!

Wales......home of the second longest name place on Earth.....

Llanfairpwllgwyrngychgogeryllwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

How rude is it?

I could get my boss to translate it.

On second thoughts - wouldn't give a very good impression of me reading these boards

Cheers,
Manteau

#561420 - 07/03/01 03:12 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

That....welsh thing...

was the secret password in Barbarella...

:-)

Gavin

#561421 - 07/03/01 03:50 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Vaider-Raider Offline
Vaider-Raider  Offline

Quote:

Anyhow, what I am saying is that most problems seem to be with microsoft products.....so why isn't any one moaning to them?

Why don't people moan at Microsoft?
I think your previous comment answered that for itself and reinforces why there are so many 'constructive' comments in this forum. Microsoft DOES NOT LISTEN Bill Gates DOES NOT LISTEN see a pattern? *G* There is no point moaning at a brick wall.. and Microsofts new subscriber shit idea will, I hope knock them down a peg or two when they realise that not everyone uses Microsoft software on their pc for a start. The US defence Dept has just ordered 25,000 Sunmicrosystems Os's with StarOffice.. thats what happens when a company DOES NOT LISTEN Razorworks DID NOT LISTEN and look what happened to them?

The point is... people wouldn't state problems in a game unless they thought it could be improved and Typhoon CAN be an amazing game... Any company that thinks they can manufacture any shit and force it down a consumers throat will find themselves out of customers VERY quickly.

But then... it does appear to be the age of the fast buck (
take care,

------------------
Vaider-Raider

"I'm right here,
because I'm not all there"

#561422 - 07/03/01 03:58 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Vaider-Raider Offline
Vaider-Raider  Offline

*smile*

we all know how much DirectX suxs.. *lol*

you just need to look at the quake3 benchmarks running OpenGL and DirectX to see where the performance is.

but the lemmings will always go for the most marketed..and Microsoft is going to spend $1 billion dollers on marketing Windoze Xp alone...
Thats more than a lot of 3rd world countries GNP... says a lot.

How well marketed is the fact that 70% of the backbone of the internet runs Un*x servers? Don't you think that Demon.net (who operate the spine down the UK and into Europe) know what is the best O/S to use? Why are they using Unix? because it gets blasted over the TV that you should buy it? I doubt it *s*.

"Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!"

Linux plug over...*g* you can go back to your nirvana now :-)

------------------
Vaider-Raider

"I'm right here,

[This message has been edited by Vaider-Raider (edited 07-03-2001).]

#561423 - 07/03/01 04:05 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

What's all this about Q3 and DX?

Cheers,
Manteau

#561424 - 07/03/01 04:11 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Vaider-Raider Offline
Vaider-Raider  Offline

Quote:
What's all this about Q3 and DX?

Cheers,
Manteau

Quote:
Originally posted by ValleyBoy:

IF IT WERE TYPHOON, THEN NO USB JOYSTICK WOULD WORK WHAT SO EVER, BUT SOME DO, SO IMHO GO BUG BILL GATES AND TELL HIM THAT DIRECTX SUCKS, NOW GET IT TO WORK PROPERLY....

My excuse for a Linux plug *g*
ok.. I pwomise no more *lol*

------------------
Vaider-Raider

"I'm right here,

#561425 - 07/03/01 04:16 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaider-Raider:
Why don't people moan at Microsoft?
I think your previous comment answered that for itself and reinforces why there are so many 'constructive' comments in this forum. Microsoft DOES NOT LISTEN Bill Gates DOES NOT LISTEN see a pattern? *G* There is no point moaning at a brick wall.. and Microsofts new subscriber shit idea will, I hope knock them down a peg or two when they realise that not everyone uses Microsoft software on their pc for a start. The US defence Dept has just ordered 25,000 Sunmicrosystems Os's with StarOffice.. thats what happens when a company DOES NOT LISTEN Razorworks DID NOT LISTEN and look what happened to them?

Ermmm..

Since when does MS not listen? From my experience it does:

* People complained about the file format change from Word 95 to 97 - Word 2000 didn't do this (or at least had the option to save word 2000 files in a format that word 97 could read)

* FrontPage <= 97 HTML compatibility - although still not excellent, 2000 had much better support and didn't screw up code

* Outlook Express's and Outlook's MIME RFC compliancy - this was bad previously, but has been fixed in OE 6 and Outlook XP.

* Support for "compatibility mode" in Windows 2000 - MS originally said they wouldn't add this to 2000, it would be in XP - SP2 has this

* DX's API - lots of code needed to do simple stuff - DX8 makes this much more simpler

* VC++ 6's latest processor optimisations (P4, Athlon) - MS originally said VS.Net - they made it available as a small free download

---

All these are examples of people in the newsgroups moaning about things and MS eventually changing things.

Another recent example is MS taking out smart tags from Windows XP.

Cheers,
Manteau

#561426 - 07/03/01 04:29 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Vaider-Raider Offline
Vaider-Raider  Offline

Quote:
Ermmm..

Since when does MS not listen? From my experience it does:

All these are examples of people in the newsgroups moaning about things and MS eventually changing things.

Another recent example is MS taking out smart tags from Windows XP.

Cheers,
Manteau

I have to admit Manteau, I love Office Xp
But you just need to look at Windows Me to see Microsofts intentions...
(http://www.emulators.com/secrets.htm#winme)

Or intel putting a 4 infront of Pentium just so they could sell it originally more than the PIII even if it was just the clock that had been upped... still wondering why the P4 has slumped in Price?

Biggest question is... why does Microsoft keep trying to put in such things as smartags SPWA and subscriptions?

*shakes his head*
tis a strange world :-)

------------------
Vaider-Raider

"I'm right here,

[This message has been edited by Vaider-Raider (edited 07-03-2001).]

#561427 - 07/03/01 04:37 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay, admittedly MS takes no notice at all about the courts, monopoly and stuff like that, and that's stupid - I'm not saying they're right - I don't think they should bundle all that stuff with Windows myself.

I'll actually give you one example contradicting my previous example where they have ignored people - Windows Media Player 7 and 8 - they are so utterly bloated and crap, and you can't get the window any smaller than half the screen size (well, almost). Loads of people have moaned about this.

Also the including a crap quality mp3 codec with it to make wma (windows media audio) seem better quality sucks as well.

Cheers,
Manteau

#561428 - 07/03/01 04:47 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Vaider-Raider Offline
Vaider-Raider  Offline

Quote:

Also the including a crap quality mp3 codec with it to make wma (windows media audio) seem better quality sucks as well.

Cheers,
Manteau

I was wondering... I heard that Microsoft was only going to put a dodgy mp3 compression software thingy in Xp that didnt support 128k because they didnt want to pay the extra cash... is this still the case? Its seems pretty stupid since all my mp3s are atleast 128kps

not a dig, just a honest Question...

take care,

------------------
Vaider-Raider

"I'm right here,

#561429 - 07/03/01 04:50 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaider-Raider:
I was wondering... I heard that Microsoft was only going to put a dodgy mp3 compression software thingy in Xp that didnt support 128k because they didnt want to pay the extra cash... is this still the case? Its seems pretty stupid since all my mp3s are atleast 128kps

not a dig, just a honest Question...

take care,

From what I heard of it, they would have had to pay Fraunhoufer (sp?) quite a royalty charge for the mp3 codec (even though MP6 has it????), so they decided to use a crap quality one that can't really support over 128 kbs.

Cheers,
Manteau

#561430 - 07/03/01 04:58 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
DanW Offline
DanW  Offline

Austin, TX
Is this the same Hengist that raised all kinds of hell in the Fighter Squadron Extreme board soon after SDOE was released?

Hook'em Horns
#561431 - 07/03/01 11:01 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
valleyboy Offline
valleyboy  Offline

Aberdare, Wales, UK
Beleive it or not.......that Welsh name is a railway station in North Wales.....I cant translate all of it....but its something about:
StMarys Church by the whight hollow.....blah blah whirpool red..... Welsh isn't the best thing to change into english

------------------

#561432 - 07/04/01 04:03 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I knew that Valleyboy. I'm Irish. I'm not from the little bit where they get cable. I'm from the bit that get's HTV and S4C and we were meant to like it!

Humph!

Gavin

#561433 - 07/07/01 12:01 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Slappy Offline
Slappy  Offline

Santa Rosa, CA
In response to bandwidth concerns at Sim-Hq.

Don't know where I heard this, maybe in regards to a BOB patch, but some developer stated that they don't consider fixes and patches until x number of complaints show up.

It's a sad state of affairs when the consumer gets shafted unless he turns ugly and starts ranting and raving about his sacred $50 and right to a functioning product.

I believe that everybody would prefer logic and cool heads to prevail, friendly "constructive" criticism that no developer could ignore. A developer who would then correct his product with an apology and smiles all around.

It was sad to see a Comp USA customer get a refund for Anarchy Online, a game that was unplayable upon release, only after screaming at the manager, abusing him with language and threats of fraud and lawsuit.

It is unfortunate that unrelenting, unforgiving bad press from the consumer is practically the only power he or she has in getting a company to see a "threat" to their bottom line, correcting problems only to eliminate this threat.

But that's the way it usually is, especially when it comes to games.

Sim-Hq is by nature the perfect vehicle for the consumer to exercise this unpleasant but necessary power. Lots of links out there to Sim-Hq from popular gaming sites like Voodoo Extreme.

Sim-Hq embodies a certain amount of real power. Up to them to decide what to do with it.

Break left... @#!$%^&% Your OTHER left!
#561434 - 07/09/01 01:12 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

In my view, software is no different than any other purchase. If you don't like it, no matter where you buy it, you should be able to return it, no questions asked. The developer should do anything he can to protect themselves with the pirating issue, like having to have the original CD in the drive. This would stop most of the complaints that come up regarding expectations vs. advertisements.

I just don't understand why software is different in this respect. I know there are some places that allow you to return software inside 7 days or so, but this isn't the norm. And 7 days isn't long enough sometimes.

[This message has been edited by Coffee1 (edited 07-09-2001).]

#561435 - 07/10/01 02:30 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

Quote:
Originally posted by Coffee1:
In my view, software is no different than any other purchase. If you don't like it, no matter where you buy it, you should be able to return it, no questions asked. The developer should do anything he can to protect themselves with the pirating issue, like having to have the original CD in the drive. This would stop most of the complaints that come up regarding expectations vs. advertisements.

I just don't understand why software is different in this respect. I know there are some places that allow you to return software inside 7 days or so, but this isn't the norm. And 7 days isn't long enough sometimes.

[This message has been edited by Coffee1 (edited 07-09-2001).]

I totaly agree, flight sim's take week's to get into properly(the majority) Only after that time and gaining confidence in flying the thing, do the problems materialise.

It's a sort of "Security Hole" in the fsim world....it can't be found untill you've put in hour's and hour's of flying before the penny drops! Then you (as in EFT) go WTF!! "a space ship-thing that need's CRV-7's to shoot it down.....yeah right!"
It's tooo late by then, as it's at the end of the campaign and in this case -the game ending is bollocks(IF you can complete it!!) and not worth replaying.
The money is gone....

The A/G weapon's was another issue with "your not launching under proper parameter's etc" being tossed about, when in effect it was the *game* all along having dumbed-down weapon's.
These pointer's alienate player's as they feel "used/taken advantage of/made mugs of"

The only way companies will learn, is with the old "Once bitten twice shy" moto. Whereby simmers will talk with their money.

I would rather buy a product that is worth it, than pay for some old crap to keep an "old -past- favourite" company afloat.

I look at OFP as a major example; it *may* have released it's Editor as an add-on, with quite a few mission disc's sold aswell and it probably would have made a fortune!?

Instead they sold it complete with the mission editor that enables the user to make complete campaigns etc -look at the mods on the go 1944/Vietnam complete with different models etc.
Sure it's got some bug's, but there are workarounds for them.

Why couldn't Rage/DID have done the same with EFT instead of alway's going down the explotation market and make the simmer pay for *what* should have been there from the beginning! I'm talking about basic's here.
Ability to attack/plan your own target.
Mission builder.

No it's the "same old" with DID, i thought they had learned from the TAW fiasco when they went tit's up after claiming TAW *would* be an add-on for ADF.

Well, they've lost a customer that has everything from them since Retaliator.

Dog-eat-dog

Tracer

------------------

#561436 - 07/10/01 02:57 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Last time I get anything from them as well - except TAW II.

Last time I get games on the day they come out as well - next time, I'm waiting a month or so to see what they're like - even if that means missing out on some fun if the game is good.

Cheers,
Manteau

#561437 - 07/10/01 03:14 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Blond_Knight Offline
Blond_Knight  Offline

Wisest words Ive heard today guys.

No more money to DID, and no more buying games on the day they come out.

Or in this case, no more buying games before they are available in the US.
If its so bad that it doesnt sell well enough to the Brits to warrent a quick pickup here in the US, then it probably is a stinker.

------------------

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Incredible historical ironies
by PanzerMeyer. 04/03/24 01:56 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.