Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#561414 - 07/02/01 01:27 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Psycho Offline
Psycho  Offline

NY, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by valleyboy:
...look at the USB problem, EECH had it, they fixed it eventually

They keyword here being "eventually". That was a very long drawn out "eventually". Something on the order of a 9 month "eventually" if I recall correctly. I'd like to think that a function so critical to product usability would be able to be dealt with in a more timely fashion. I know it's an apples to oranges comparison, but imagine if you had a new car and found out the the steering wheel wouldn't do anything. Then imagine them taking 9 months to fix it. Then imagine further that you bought it at dealership that wouldn't give your money back.

Jon

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#561415 - 07/02/01 11:38 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
valleyboy Offline
valleyboy  Offline

Aberdare, Wales, UK
Well, we are talking about the world of PC's......there was a little joke going around a while ago about microsoft and some vehicle manufacturer..... Bill Gates said for a laugh that they should build cars like microsoft makes it's software......they took this as an insult, and replied if we make cars like you make software, they will break down without warning, all the flashing lights will go off for no reason, it will randomly loose all its petrol, when you put the right key in the door it still wont open.
It would never start under any weather conditions.........and if they were to make cars like computers they would make them like Apple Macs....

Or something simular to the above, I shall try and dig it out from somewhere......
Anyhow, what I am saying is that most problems seem to be with microsoft products.....so why isn't any one moaning to them? The rate that some people go on about things, it's like Typhoon is all evil and should be sent to hell......I don't belive in god, so that method can shove itself where it belongs! People keep on going on like Typhoon is the only buggy piece of software ever made.......the truth is, it isn't. USB's aren't the newest things on this planet........anyhow this is what I am saying.....

IF TYPHOON WORKS WITH SOME USB JOYSTICKS (which it does) AND NOT OTHERS, THEN WHO IS TO BLAME!!???

IF IT WERE TYPHOON, THEN NO USB JOYSTICK WOULD WORK WHAT SO EVER, BUT SOME DO, SO IMHO GO BUG BILL GATES AND TELL HIM THAT DIRECTX SUCKS, NOW GET IT TO WORK PROPERLY....

Now, if you can't tell from the above, I am geting stressed, I am going on my holidays in a weeks time....and my boss has decided to pile evry piece of work possible for me to do before I go.......Then when I get back, my parents are likely to know I need to resit the year at uni.....

I bid you good night......for I am in need of alcohol.....NOW!!!!!

------------------
If it aint bust, you haven't played with it enough!

"The engines are overheating, and so am I!!, we either make a move, or blow up!, So which is it to be?!"
----------------------------------
"It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
#561416 - 07/03/01 08:18 AM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Manteau,

You say tom-ay-toe...

I say- "Arme Propulsee Antipiste A Charges Ejectables"....;-)

As long as you are doing direct attack, you should have perhaps a 30-50% chance of survival, especially all on your lonesome.

And the Hellfire-L's should be able to kill airplanes 'at least as well' (snicker) as Brimstone does tanks, sitting on the ground in open revetments or indeed in closed HAS where available. Individually delivered shaped charges and an MMW metallic-mass MMR cue are 'nice' that way.

How deep the defenses around the AB are and how active the overhead CAP before you get there will decide much but other than pure ranged-repeat, if they want to send in the Army, by all means, grab yer Longbow errr Squanto?!

Better you than 'Cluster' (****)-me.

I'll be 'comforting' your wife when they bring you back on your shield.

KP

LINK-
Smart Munitions, The Next Gen
http://vectorsite.tripod.com/avbomb9.html#m4

#561417 - 07/03/01 08:33 AM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurt Plummer:
Manteau,

You say tom-ay-toe...

I say- "Arme Propulsee Antipiste A Charges Ejectables"....;-)

As long as you are doing direct attack, you should have perhaps a 30-50% chance of survival, especially all on your lonesome.

And the Hellfire-L's should be able to kill airplanes 'at least as well' (snicker) as Brimstone does tanks, sitting on the ground in open revetments or indeed in closed HAS where available. Individually delivered shaped charges and an MMW metallic-mass MMR cue are 'nice' that way.

How deep the defenses around the AB are and how active the overhead CAP before you get there will decide much but other than pure ranged-repeat, if they want to send in the Army, by all means, grab yer Longbow errr Squanto?!

Better you than 'Cluster' (****)-me.

I'll be 'comforting' your wife when they bring you back on your shield.

En Anglais, s'il vous plait???????!?!?!!?!?

Cheers,
Manteau

#561418 - 07/03/01 09:57 AM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
valleyboy Offline
valleyboy  Offline

Aberdare, Wales, UK
Maen rhaid i chi lot stopio siarad bollocks. A Kurt, beth ydy o gyda eich munitions this a munitions that, os oedd yr Americanwyr mor dda, pam wnaeth nhw colli yn Nam!

There, I shall buy a pint to someone that can read that!

Wales......home of the second longest name place on Earth.....

Llanfairpwllgwyrngychgogeryllwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

------------------

"The engines are overheating, and so am I!!, we either make a move, or blow up!, So which is it to be?!"
"It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
#561419 - 07/03/01 01:57 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
There, I shall buy a pint to someone that can read that!

Wales......home of the second longest name place on Earth.....

Llanfairpwllgwyrngychgogeryllwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

How rude is it?

I could get my boss to translate it.

On second thoughts - wouldn't give a very good impression of me reading these boards

Cheers,
Manteau

#561420 - 07/03/01 03:12 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

That....welsh thing...

was the secret password in Barbarella...

:-)

Gavin

#561421 - 07/03/01 03:50 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Vaider-Raider Offline
Vaider-Raider  Offline

Quote:

Anyhow, what I am saying is that most problems seem to be with microsoft products.....so why isn't any one moaning to them?

Why don't people moan at Microsoft?
I think your previous comment answered that for itself and reinforces why there are so many 'constructive' comments in this forum. Microsoft DOES NOT LISTEN Bill Gates DOES NOT LISTEN see a pattern? *G* There is no point moaning at a brick wall.. and Microsofts new subscriber shit idea will, I hope knock them down a peg or two when they realise that not everyone uses Microsoft software on their pc for a start. The US defence Dept has just ordered 25,000 Sunmicrosystems Os's with StarOffice.. thats what happens when a company DOES NOT LISTEN Razorworks DID NOT LISTEN and look what happened to them?

The point is... people wouldn't state problems in a game unless they thought it could be improved and Typhoon CAN be an amazing game... Any company that thinks they can manufacture any shit and force it down a consumers throat will find themselves out of customers VERY quickly.

But then... it does appear to be the age of the fast buck (
take care,

------------------
Vaider-Raider

"I'm right here,
because I'm not all there"

#561422 - 07/03/01 03:58 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Vaider-Raider Offline
Vaider-Raider  Offline

*smile*

we all know how much DirectX suxs.. *lol*

you just need to look at the quake3 benchmarks running OpenGL and DirectX to see where the performance is.

but the lemmings will always go for the most marketed..and Microsoft is going to spend $1 billion dollers on marketing Windoze Xp alone...
Thats more than a lot of 3rd world countries GNP... says a lot.

How well marketed is the fact that 70% of the backbone of the internet runs Un*x servers? Don't you think that Demon.net (who operate the spine down the UK and into Europe) know what is the best O/S to use? Why are they using Unix? because it gets blasted over the TV that you should buy it? I doubt it *s*.

"Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!"

Linux plug over...*g* you can go back to your nirvana now :-)

------------------
Vaider-Raider

"I'm right here,

[This message has been edited by Vaider-Raider (edited 07-03-2001).]

#561423 - 07/03/01 04:05 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

What's all this about Q3 and DX?

Cheers,
Manteau

#561424 - 07/03/01 04:11 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Vaider-Raider Offline
Vaider-Raider  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Manteau:
What's all this about Q3 and DX?

Cheers,
Manteau

Quote:
Originally posted by ValleyBoy:

IF IT WERE TYPHOON, THEN NO USB JOYSTICK WOULD WORK WHAT SO EVER, BUT SOME DO, SO IMHO GO BUG BILL GATES AND TELL HIM THAT DIRECTX SUCKS, NOW GET IT TO WORK PROPERLY....

My excuse for a Linux plug *g*
ok.. I pwomise no more *lol*

------------------
Vaider-Raider

"I'm right here,

#561425 - 07/03/01 04:16 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaider-Raider:
Why don't people moan at Microsoft?
I think your previous comment answered that for itself and reinforces why there are so many 'constructive' comments in this forum. Microsoft DOES NOT LISTEN Bill Gates DOES NOT LISTEN see a pattern? *G* There is no point moaning at a brick wall.. and Microsofts new subscriber shit idea will, I hope knock them down a peg or two when they realise that not everyone uses Microsoft software on their pc for a start. The US defence Dept has just ordered 25,000 Sunmicrosystems Os's with StarOffice.. thats what happens when a company DOES NOT LISTEN Razorworks DID NOT LISTEN and look what happened to them?

Ermmm..

Since when does MS not listen? From my experience it does:

* People complained about the file format change from Word 95 to 97 - Word 2000 didn't do this (or at least had the option to save word 2000 files in a format that word 97 could read)

* FrontPage <= 97 HTML compatibility - although still not excellent, 2000 had much better support and didn't screw up code

* Outlook Express's and Outlook's MIME RFC compliancy - this was bad previously, but has been fixed in OE 6 and Outlook XP.

* Support for "compatibility mode" in Windows 2000 - MS originally said they wouldn't add this to 2000, it would be in XP - SP2 has this

* DX's API - lots of code needed to do simple stuff - DX8 makes this much more simpler

* VC++ 6's latest processor optimisations (P4, Athlon) - MS originally said VS.Net - they made it available as a small free download

---

All these are examples of people in the newsgroups moaning about things and MS eventually changing things.

Another recent example is MS taking out smart tags from Windows XP.

Cheers,
Manteau

#561426 - 07/03/01 04:29 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Vaider-Raider Offline
Vaider-Raider  Offline

Quote:
Ermmm..

Since when does MS not listen? From my experience it does:

All these are examples of people in the newsgroups moaning about things and MS eventually changing things.

Another recent example is MS taking out smart tags from Windows XP.

Cheers,
Manteau

I have to admit Manteau, I love Office Xp
But you just need to look at Windows Me to see Microsofts intentions...
(http://www.emulators.com/secrets.htm#winme)

Or intel putting a 4 infront of Pentium just so they could sell it originally more than the PIII even if it was just the clock that had been upped... still wondering why the P4 has slumped in Price?

Biggest question is... why does Microsoft keep trying to put in such things as smartags SPWA and subscriptions?

*shakes his head*
tis a strange world :-)

------------------
Vaider-Raider

"I'm right here,

[This message has been edited by Vaider-Raider (edited 07-03-2001).]

#561427 - 07/03/01 04:37 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay, admittedly MS takes no notice at all about the courts, monopoly and stuff like that, and that's stupid - I'm not saying they're right - I don't think they should bundle all that stuff with Windows myself.

I'll actually give you one example contradicting my previous example where they have ignored people - Windows Media Player 7 and 8 - they are so utterly bloated and crap, and you can't get the window any smaller than half the screen size (well, almost). Loads of people have moaned about this.

Also the including a crap quality mp3 codec with it to make wma (windows media audio) seem better quality sucks as well.

Cheers,
Manteau

#561428 - 07/03/01 04:47 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Vaider-Raider Offline
Vaider-Raider  Offline

Quote:

Also the including a crap quality mp3 codec with it to make wma (windows media audio) seem better quality sucks as well.

Cheers,
Manteau

I was wondering... I heard that Microsoft was only going to put a dodgy mp3 compression software thingy in Xp that didnt support 128k because they didnt want to pay the extra cash... is this still the case? Its seems pretty stupid since all my mp3s are atleast 128kps

not a dig, just a honest Question...

take care,

------------------
Vaider-Raider

"I'm right here,

#561429 - 07/03/01 04:50 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaider-Raider:
I was wondering... I heard that Microsoft was only going to put a dodgy mp3 compression software thingy in Xp that didnt support 128k because they didnt want to pay the extra cash... is this still the case? Its seems pretty stupid since all my mp3s are atleast 128kps

not a dig, just a honest Question...

take care,

From what I heard of it, they would have had to pay Fraunhoufer (sp?) quite a royalty charge for the mp3 codec (even though MP6 has it????), so they decided to use a crap quality one that can't really support over 128 kbs.

Cheers,
Manteau

#561430 - 07/03/01 04:58 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
DanW Offline
DanW  Offline

Austin, TX
Is this the same Hengist that raised all kinds of hell in the Fighter Squadron Extreme board soon after SDOE was released?

Hook'em Horns
#561431 - 07/03/01 11:01 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
valleyboy Offline
valleyboy  Offline

Aberdare, Wales, UK
Beleive it or not.......that Welsh name is a railway station in North Wales.....I cant translate all of it....but its something about:
StMarys Church by the whight hollow.....blah blah whirpool red..... Welsh isn't the best thing to change into english

------------------

#561432 - 07/04/01 04:03 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I knew that Valleyboy. I'm Irish. I'm not from the little bit where they get cable. I'm from the bit that get's HTV and S4C and we were meant to like it!

Humph!

Gavin

#561433 - 07/07/01 12:01 PM Re: Take 2 Publishes Typhoon!  
Slappy Offline
Slappy  Offline

Santa Rosa, CA
In response to bandwidth concerns at Sim-Hq.

Don't know where I heard this, maybe in regards to a BOB patch, but some developer stated that they don't consider fixes and patches until x number of complaints show up.

It's a sad state of affairs when the consumer gets shafted unless he turns ugly and starts ranting and raving about his sacred $50 and right to a functioning product.

I believe that everybody would prefer logic and cool heads to prevail, friendly "constructive" criticism that no developer could ignore. A developer who would then correct his product with an apology and smiles all around.

It was sad to see a Comp USA customer get a refund for Anarchy Online, a game that was unplayable upon release, only after screaming at the manager, abusing him with language and threats of fraud and lawsuit.

It is unfortunate that unrelenting, unforgiving bad press from the consumer is practically the only power he or she has in getting a company to see a "threat" to their bottom line, correcting problems only to eliminate this threat.

But that's the way it usually is, especially when it comes to games.

Sim-Hq is by nature the perfect vehicle for the consumer to exercise this unpleasant but necessary power. Lots of links out there to Sim-Hq from popular gaming sites like Voodoo Extreme.

Sim-Hq embodies a certain amount of real power. Up to them to decide what to do with it.

Break left... @#!$%^&% Your OTHER left!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Incredible historical ironies
by PanzerMeyer. 04/03/24 01:56 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.