Rate This Thread
Hop To
#560735 - 06/05/01 04:48 PM 1-0 for EFT  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yesterday night:

Annoyed by the long waits in the mess hall I decide to fire up the twin engines of my good ole F18 instead of the EFA, I successfully complete 2 missions (no waits in bethween! in the standard campaign coming back in one piece.
Sure it's odd to find yourself looking again thru that tiny HUD that with the 4XFSAA looks really blurry, well my GeForce's fault. I like the radar modes here, but geez ! I'm really busy in this cockpit !
After 2 missions it's not THAT late, so I decide to jump in the EFA before going to bed.
Hey wait a minute, the huge HUD is strange, but a lot less tiring than my F18's tiny one! I am also lucky, 2 missions are generated shortly after I enter the sim, pretty tough ones actually, they slam me down 2 times, I am missing my f18's AMRAAMs now, but nobody's perfect.
I look at my watch again and "what??" Almost 2?? I have to go to work tomorrow! Scramble to bed!

You know what? despite all the minor problems
I am really starting to like Typhoon. Sure is not perfect but still... I like it!

So yesterday night was 1-0 for EFT,
funny that the night before I was sure I would had shelved the sim waiting for the add-on.
speaking of wich, any news for us mortals Steve?

cheers

dot

Roll, lock, dive....survive.

-.-

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#560736 - 06/05/01 08:25 PM Re: 1-0 for EFT  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

lol Dot,

As a J-F18 player also, I kinda know what you mean, that's the reason I fly J-F18 in 8x6 mode.

However the major difference here is the word 'simulator', as opposed to 'game' or 'fun simulator'.

Both are good in their own ways.

P.S. valleyboy,

My first sim predated 'F-15 Strike Eagle II' on the Sinclair ZX81. I can't remember the name of it.. I don't think it could have been called 'F-15 Strike Eagle'.

I remember it had 2 runways in 2 diagonaly opposing corners. In the other 2 corners were hills, marked as 20000ft 30000ft on the map (you never saw then in the sim, but you crashed if you weren't higher than the value shown in that corner of the map when in that area).

Every now and then, something that looked like a Vulcan bomber would appear from the edge of the map and make a B-line' for one of your runways... You had to intercept this thing (it always reminded me of the saucer that appears in that old wire frame arcade game 'Asteroids'...lol)

*edit. P.P.S. I've flown sims since those days, continuously... and deep down, I've loved 'em all
------------------

Hengist.

Hengist's MiG Alley Site.
http://www.hengist.co.uk/MiGAlley

[This message has been edited by *Hengist* (edited 06-05-2001).]

#560737 - 06/05/01 09:17 PM Re: 1-0 for EFT  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

<<>>

*Hengist* ! Take cover!!! Incoooomiiiing!

see you in the bunker!!

-.-

#560738 - 06/05/01 09:37 PM Re: 1-0 for EFT  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

Did anyone else here ever have 'Phantom' on the Acorn Electron??

I remember playing it when I was about 7 or 8. I didn't really have a clue what was going on and can't say that I could ever really play the game.

In fact I remember that once I started to attack a plane and then crashed into it only to later realise that it was a runway

It was quite amusing really as the sky was black with white dots for stars and the ground was black with white dots for lights on the ground. Bit too confusing for me at the time!

Andy.

#560739 - 06/05/01 11:19 PM Re: 1-0 for EFT  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

<>

LOL!!!!

That was great Andy!

-.-

#560740 - 06/05/01 11:53 PM Re: 1-0 for EFT  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Quote:
Originally posted by -Dot-:
<<>>

*Hengist* ! Take cover!!! Incoooomiiiing!

see you in the bunker!!

-.-

Hengist has no worries in this regard.

We (Leon and I) have tried to use the term 'game' whenever possible. From early on, this was deliberate since we could easily foresee the nature of the posts that have subsequently appeared on this forum.

We thought then, and still do now, that it is crucial that people understand that Typhoon is not Falcon4, or even a sequel to EF2000.

Whether or not we were as aggressive in this as we should have been is for others to say.

Andy

#560741 - 06/06/01 12:09 AM Re: 1-0 for EFT  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Weeelll...

In my opinion with mission control, more effective weapons, and no waits bethween mission EFT IS a sim!

Now just to see how we define the world "sim" here

HC SIM
as real as it gets
SIM
looks real, easy to master
LITE SIM
Looks great, unrealistic, very easy to master
ARCADE SIM
an easy LITE SIM, almost completely detached from reality

EF2000 HC SIM (at the time)
F22 ADF SIM
TAW SIM
COMANCHE3 ARCADE SIM
AH64 HC SIM
F15 HC SIM
FALCON4 ARCADE LOL!
FLANKER HC SIM
FA18 HC SIM
USAF LITE SIM
EFT LITE SIM

Please answer according to your scale !

#560742 - 06/06/01 02:08 AM Re: 1-0 for EFT  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by -Dot-:
Yesterday night:

Annoyed by the long waits in the mess hall I decide to fire up the twin engines of my good ole F18 instead of the EFA, I successfully complete 2 missions (no waits in bethween! in the standard campaign coming back in one piece.
Sure it's odd to find yourself looking again thru that tiny HUD that with the 4XFSAA looks really blurry, well my GeForce's fault. I like the radar modes here, but geez ! I'm really busy in this cockpit !
After 2 missions it's not THAT late, so I decide to jump in the EFA before going to bed.
Hey wait a minute, the huge HUD is strange, but a lot less tiring than my F18's tiny one! I am also lucky, 2 missions are generated shortly after I enter the sim, pretty tough ones actually, they slam me down 2 times, I am missing my f18's AMRAAMs now, but nobody's perfect.
I look at my watch again and "what??" Almost 2?? I have to go to work tomorrow! Scramble to bed!

You know what? despite all the minor problems
I am really starting to like Typhoon. Sure is not perfect but still... I like it!

So yesterday night was 1-0 for EFT,
funny that the night before I was sure I would had shelved the sim waiting for the add-on.
speaking of wich, any news for us mortals Steve?

cheers

dot

Roll, lock, dive....survive.

-.-

Nice post Dot.

But what's this add on? Is it a patch or a free download? Or a repackaged game???? Or an add on to purchase? Should I wait before I buy EFT?

------------------
Neptune

Neptune - Strike! Your Signal is Divert! Acknowlege!

#560743 - 06/06/01 11:55 AM Re: 1-0 for EFT  
valleyboy Offline
valleyboy  Offline

Aberdare, Wales, UK
Hey...is it my fault i am so young and enthusiastic to stay in my house all day and play on my computer, then go out at night and get as drunk as Father Jack? I had the Amiga when I was 10...I wanted a R/C car, but my parents made up their minds....alas several thousand hours were spent on games such as cannon fodder, M1TP, MIG-29, F-15 Strike Eagle II, and the like.

Off topic a bit...but how the hell do I get Jane's F-18 off my damn HDD, I try doing the automatic uninstall.....and it says it cant because there is an error in one of the files....I manualy delete it but its still in the remove programme files, I try fiddling the registry and it keeps on coming back after I reboot. and to top it all off, when trying to reinstall it just dies half way through certain file types.....and its really pissing me off

------------------
If it aint bust, you haven't played with it enough!

"The engines are overheating, and so am I!!, we either make a move, or blow up!, So which is it to be?!"
----------------------------------
"It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
#560744 - 06/07/01 04:09 PM Re: 1-0 for EFT  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, here's my sims listing:

Super EF-2000
Sim.
F-22 ADF
Sim with lite elements.
TAW
Sim.
EFT
Extremely lite sim. Bordering on arcade.
Falcon 4
HC sim.
Flanker 2.5
Someday, if you train for centuries, you may find the button that starts the engines!!
Battle of Britain
When it works, Sim.
Janes FA-18E
HC sim.
EECH & EEAH
Sim, bordering on HC sim.
Jane's F-15
HC sim for it's day.
Harrier on the Acorn Electron
Sim for it's day. WHo remembers this game?

Cheers, Wulf.

------------------

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.