Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#560464 - 06/02/01 07:37 PM Re: RANT WARNING*** I FEEL SICK !!!!!!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi guys
Hmmmm got a few comments to make.
First some of the comments in my original post are ment to be yes, pointed but also humourous particulary the "EFT cheerleaders"
comment.
After i had post my initial rant i posted 2 more msgs to add a little extra balance to my comments, some ppl need to read them carefully.
Anyone carefully reading my 3 post will notice that at NO TIME did i make petty personal attacks on ANYONE as an individual.
( am a friendly Yorkshire lad, thats not my mode. American translation: Yorkshire = Hick )
I do wish however that everyone who gets involved in these exchanges would do the same.
I just spent friday evening in the pub then stayed at my Girls flat ( Which i hope goes some way to setting PRUNES mind to rest on the issue of me having a life, yes Prune and a very varied and rewarding one )
arriving home sat evening, am horrified at the way a lot of the later posts in this thread have descended into petty personal attacks or squabbles.
PLEASE CHILL GUYS, KEEP COMMENTS, VITRIOL OR PRAISE FOCUSED ON THE ISSES.

Later
Zeb

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#560465 - 06/02/01 08:16 PM Re: RANT WARNING*** I FEEL SICK !!!!!!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Typhoon is how it is and we knew before.

If you spoil-ban-exclude people like Hengist,
a person of most honourable heart, you are
gonna spoil your whole site.

Since I play Flightsims on the net I have not met many people like Hengist.
He might have his own words on some ideas but that is his way and how he is but I never saw him insulting someone.

How many people actually spend so much time and effort to support sims ?

I think that Andy should re-think his point here if he doesnt want to exclude not only Hengist but all of similar kind since we do not know how to express ourselves so that others may also have a laugh and not only straight pilot talk, avoiding to get banned.

anyway, by looking at the names of the replies I guess its too late already and you have lost a valuable source.

That is very very sad since no one was harmed, just your ego Andy.

my 2 cents

Tb 214th

#560466 - 06/02/01 08:26 PM Re: RANT WARNING*** I FEEL SICK !!!!!!  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Cnebba

I think your questions about the meaning of 'troll' and 'flame war' have already been answered.

I suppose the meaning of 'rant' is open to interpretation. With regard to Typhoon and this board, I see critical posts as coming in three forms: suggested changes, opinions, and rants. Discounting the first, I'm left with opinion and rant.

For me, a critical opinion is an unemotional, factual, dissection of the game. A rant, on the other hand, is an emotional outcry against some perceived wrong. The rant may be factual or not, wholly or in part.

The posting of an opinion seems to beg a reasoned response. The ranter could care less about getting a response since the objective is to spew invective, not engage in debate.

That should do it.

Andy

#560467 - 06/02/01 08:41 PM Re: RANT WARNING*** I FEEL SICK !!!!!!  
Badboy Offline
Badboy  Offline

UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Cnebba:
Badboy,
I think you have to concede that these are pretty fair and recurrent points.

Hi Cnebba

Those points are indeed being made fairly frequently, and sadly repetitively, I concede that. However, I dont agree that they are pretty fair, allow me to explain. I dont think anyone would argue about the benefit to be gained from post release enhancement of simulation software. The developer has the longevity of their simulation increased, along with additional sales, and the game player has an enhanced gaming experience. However, the most successful examples Ive seen have all been driven by the simulation community. In some cases they have been unsupported labours of love created by devoted game players, the Aces series and original Red Baron spring to mind. In other cases they have been commercial ventures, like Strategic Falcon for Falcon3, or even SimTechs add-on disc for F22, and later the Falcon4 enhancements. I dont believe anyone ever expected such things to be included as part of the original price. Support and patches are one thing, but I dont think it is fair to expect any more than that. My opinion may be unpopular, but I dont think anyone should purchase a flight sim with the notion that they are buying into a development chain, its almost certain to lead to disappointment. Fortunately that isnt an issue at the moment because Im delighted at the level of support already shown by Rage, their speedy patches and level of involvement in this forum is already above and beyond the call of duty! Those guys arent just game developers out for a quick return, they love flight sims every bit as much as we do I know this for a fact! Let's cut some slack here guys?

Leon "Badboy" Smith

[This message has been edited by Badboy (edited 06-02-2001).]

#560468 - 06/02/01 08:58 PM Re: RANT WARNING*** I FEEL SICK !!!!!!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Andy/Badboy,
Thanks for the replies. I won't add further repetition to this thread then... See what comes up next?

#560469 - 06/03/01 01:17 AM Re: RANT WARNING*** I FEEL SICK !!!!!!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I disagree with some of what has been posted. Even with all the talk before the release of EFT, you don't know completely what your getting till you get it. And some of what is written in the manual, and printed on the box is a little suspect. We all knew a little going into the purchase, but some of the small things like no closure speed is something that was expected by me anyway.

[This message has been edited by Coffee1 (edited 06-02-2001).]

#560470 - 06/03/01 01:32 AM Re: RANT WARNING*** I FEEL SICK !!!!!!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

speaking personally , apart from my feedback which i feel is legitimate , i think that generally today , we do as a community expect more from our sims , i will elaborate

- we have better cpus , more ram and faster 3d gfx cards , so i expect a more diverse and lively virtual world and better AI and terrain on any new sim !

- certain sims are more mod friendly , and also we have come to expect rightly or wrongly , more !

be that free www mods or developer support , be that purely helpful info to open up a sim , or
take microsofts support for its fs2000 sim for example , all the free planes and scenery you can download !

sims of note are fs2000 , falcon4 , janes f18 , and sims to come like IL2 etc

also it is frankly bizarre beyond belief to ship a sim without a mission builder in todays age , even janes atf series had these !

i don't know if any of you guys follow / read the falcon4 terrain group via email ?

but once you read these , and see the modding stuff that is being done , and buy into this culture , its hard to go back , purely on a mental level !

I suffer from this , maybe its mental delusion and too much dowmloading of free planes and missions and stuff for a plethora of sims , as well as mission building tinkering with TAW !!

but once the genie is out of the bottle , its hard to go back mentally , and accept or comprehend a sim that is feature capped or lacking !

thats my take and outlook on sims generally , and hence why i am vocal into please can we have some fixes and a mission builder !

becoz i feel that it is not unreasonable to request such items , it is a necessity to keep Typhoon alive for the future , and also a de facto standard for sims to have these , which has ben set by developers of nearly every sim over preceding years !

i still feel that like most pc games that are released of all genres , that we here in the uk , are also the unofficial beta testers for so called final gold master products , and hence why alot of games get released to the USA months later , with fixes and patches applied ,

i notice this will happen to Flashpoint , and Typhoon is not out in the USA !

Developers know that the usa games buying public are harsh and not forgiving , if you screw up a product release to the numerically larger USA market and all those big dollars you have really blown it !

Im not making accusations , and im not looking for an answer or a debate , lets just say i am X files fan , and i trust no one , and you would not catch me driving past the grassy knowle in dallas in my cabriolet sports car , catch my drift !

Enough said !

#560471 - 06/03/01 09:45 AM Re: RANT WARNING*** I FEEL SICK !!!!!!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

To Andy and anyone else who I've offended in this thread.

I sincerely apologise.

The things mentioned in my post were supposed to be a joke.

I just wanted everyone to get along. To be fair to others, reading it back, I can now see how people could have taken it as a personal 'dig' at them. This wasn't my intention. I was attempting to calm the situation down, but it seems to have gone the opposite way (Homer style)... DOH!

I wont say much more, as I'm a bit unsure as to what qualifies as an acceptable boundary and I don't want to be banned from these forums. So I'll say once again, I apologise. I just want everyone to get along.

Rememeber guys I'm a sim fanatic, just like the rest of you. Like any 'family' we've had a falling out. Let's put it behind us and continue in the spirit of a flight sim community; i.e. helping each other, discussing various aspects of sims, and mutually enjoying our hobby.

------------------
\:\)

Hengist.

Hengist's MiG Alley Site.
http://www.hengist.co.uk/MiGAlley

#560472 - 06/03/01 12:09 PM Re: RANT WARNING*** I FEEL SICK !!!!!!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by *Hengist*:
To Andy and anyone else who I've offended in this thread.

I sincerely apologise.

The things mentioned in my post were supposed to be a joke.

I just wanted everyone to get along. To be fair to others, reading it back, I can now see how people could have taken it as a personal 'dig' at them. This wasn't my intention. I was attempting to calm the situation down, but it seems to have gone the opposite way (Homer style)... DOH!

I wont say much more, as I'm a bit unsure as to what qualifies as an acceptable boundary and I don't want to be banned from these forums. So I'll say once again, I apologise. I just want everyone to get along.

Rememeber guys I'm a sim fanatic, just like the rest of you. Like any 'family' we've had a falling out. Let's put it behind us and continue in the spirit of a flight sim community; i.e. helping each other, discussing various aspects of sims, and mutually enjoying our hobby.

rgr H, well said.

#560473 - 06/03/01 01:13 PM Re: RANT WARNING*** I FEEL SICK !!!!!!  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Hengist

Thanks very much for your post.

I'll put my two cents in and apologize for my thin skin!

This game needs your's and other's input to make it as good as possible. Let's put aside the past and work for Typhoon's future.

Andy

#560474 - 06/04/01 01:09 PM Re: RANT WARNING*** I FEEL SICK !!!!!!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Andy,

you make me happy

*we are in one boat*

Tb214th

#560475 - 06/04/01 02:34 PM Re: RANT WARNING*** I FEEL SICK !!!!!!  
valleyboy Offline
valleyboy  Offline

Aberdare, Wales, UK
As long as the boat isn't called Titanic I shall stay aboard Unless someone buys me a real Typhoon...then I will jump ship....but the probability of that is very slim.....Oiii Bill Gates!?

------------------
If it aint bust, you haven't played with it enough!

"The engines are overheating, and so am I!!, we either make a move, or blow up!, So which is it to be?!"
----------------------------------
"It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Incredible historical ironies
by PanzerMeyer. 04/03/24 01:56 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.