Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#558926 - 05/15/01 09:41 PM D3D/OpenGL update/patch for EF2000 ver.2/EF2000 graphics+ PETITION  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I figured this might as well be a little more organized.

Anyone who would like to see a D3D or OpenGL update for EF2000 Ver 2.0 (US) or SuperEF2000 Graphics+ (Europe), please voice your approval below!

Steve Hunt, any input would be welcome! I believe this would be very beneficial for the marketing of Typhoon. Perhaps you guys could insert an opening screen or banner into EF2000 advertising Typhoon as "the next generation of EF2000" or something like that!

It sounds like a win-win situation!! Heck, the graphics compatibility update is all you need to do for this brilliant sim to move it into the next century! And we all saw how quickly you guys accomplished this with the 3dfx fix for Typhoon!!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#558927 - 05/15/01 09:48 PM Re: D3D/OpenGL update/patch for EF2000 ver.2/EF2000 graphics+ PETITION  
Gel214th Offline
Gel214th  Offline

Ehmm..no..doesn't make much sense dude.

------------------
-Gel214th
CO 214th Annihilators

http://www.214th.com/flanker2

-Gel214th
#558928 - 05/15/01 09:51 PM Re: D3D/OpenGL update/patch for EF2000 ver.2/EF2000 graphics+ PETITION  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Fishbed77:
It sounds like a win-win situation!! Heck, the graphics compatibility update is all you need to do for this brilliant sim to move it into the next century! And we all saw how quickly you guys accomplished this with the 3dfx fix for Typhoon!!

I would like to see an updated EF2000 too, but I don't think it would a simple job to just re-write the graphics engine - it would probably be easier to start from scratch - things have changed a lot from 1995/6.

Sadly, I don't think it's going to happen, but if it does, I'd pay for it.

Cheers,
Manteau

#558929 - 05/15/01 10:00 PM Re: D3D/OpenGL update/patch for EF2000 ver.2/EF2000 graphics+ PETITION  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fishbed,

I know it sounds innocent enough as a request but this would be akin to admitting that Typhoon was insufficient for the hardcore elite or at least 'lacking something' (space, campaign control, individual missions, training, accurate systems modelling= sim everything:``(, overall.

Such is Slit-Your-Wrists-With-A-Rusty-
Butterknife _marketing suicide_ on such a new game, IMO.

You might have better luck asking Steve if it would be possible to speed up the expansion set options by incorporating elements (theatre maps etc.) of the old game into the new one.

If not, then make not simply an 'organized' plea but a logical one to the TSH or F4 hacker teams. Backed up by petitioners and
'this feature, that feature, the other feature' absence from not simply the new game but also whatever else they might be working on.

If the old game can be brought up to current graphical engine standards as was F4, as quickly as you say, then it may well be something worth doing for folks without a personal business interest in pushing the newer version.

But if you dump on Typhoon, for whatever good reason, don't expect SH to come in and explain to you why it's not fair to expect him to take a step back as a means of going forwards...

He won't do it and his disgust or fear may keep him from posting in future at all.

KP

#558930 - 05/15/01 10:02 PM Re: D3D/OpenGL update/patch for EF2000 ver.2/EF2000 graphics+ PETITION  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually, Gel 214th, it makes a lot of sense. This is exactly what Graphic Simulations is doing with Hornet: Korea Gold. They took a sim of similar vintage to EF2000 and updated it for D3D. SSI took an even larger leap with the free 2.5 add-on for Flanker 2.

Gel 214th, with this in mind, would you mind editing out your earlier post. I would love for this effort to get off on a positive note!

#558931 - 05/15/01 10:03 PM Re: D3D/OpenGL update/patch for EF2000 ver.2/EF2000 graphics+ PETITION  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Kurt

Good post.

Andy

#558932 - 05/15/01 10:08 PM Re: D3D/OpenGL update/patch for EF2000 ver.2/EF2000 graphics+ PETITION  
Uroboros Offline
Uroboros  Offline

Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
I figured this might as well be a little more organized.

Anyone who would like to see a D3D or OpenGL update for EF2000 Ver 2.0 (US) or SuperEF2000 Graphics+ (Europe), please voice your approval below!

Steve Hunt, any input would be welcome! I believe this would be very beneficial for the marketing of Typhoon. Perhaps you guys could insert an opening screen or banner into EF2000 advertising Typhoon as "the next generation of EF2000" or something like that!

As cool as this might be..I don't see this happening. Why would Rage release a graphics patch for EF-2000 that would basically make people then ignore Typhoon. No company is going to improve an old product just to effect sales of their current project.

Now I this would only be a problem if we're talking about FREE patch here. If Rage were to charge for this and perhaps repackage it)..I'd see no problem. And people WOULD pay for that.

(Of course we'd then get the bitch fest with people condeming Rage for not doing this in the first place rather then releasing Typhoon. Accusing them of just trying to milk the sim public..etc..etc..etc. They don't need that)

But I get the feeling that this is not doable for one reason or another. If is was just all just a simple matter of updating the graphics, Rage/DID would have done this already. Repackage it as a GOLD edition and you'd get instant sales.

Actually I got to wonder if Rage could even do this as they were not the publisher of EF-2000. Maybe they don't even have rights to the code.

Sorry to be so negative Fishbed77. I do think that it's a GREAT idea, but it might it not be feasable unfortunately.

[This message has been edited by Uroboros (edited 05-15-2001).]

#558933 - 05/15/01 10:16 PM Re: D3D/OpenGL update/patch for EF2000 ver.2/EF2000 graphics+ PETITION  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't think the rights or the source code would be available either - Steve mentioned about 6 months ago that he didn't think they'd be able to update TAW, so I highly doubt they'd be able to do that to EF2000.

In princible, as a possible future product, I wouldn't mind seeing such a product, but in the mean time, I just want to enjoy Typhoon, and I would really like some more theatres.

Cheers,
Manteau

#558934 - 05/15/01 10:18 PM Re: D3D/OpenGL update/patch for EF2000 ver.2/EF2000 graphics+ PETITION  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ofcause it would be a simple rewrite... a D3D call here... a D3D call there... and EF2000 should be W2K ready...

My sister is a real looker, and I have several times offered her in return for even a small snippet of EF2000 code..
Noone at the former DiD ever returned my phonecalls.... does this mean they are all homosexuals ??

I certainly think so !!

Bimo

#558935 - 05/15/01 10:19 PM Re: D3D/OpenGL update/patch for EF2000 ver.2/EF2000 graphics+ PETITION  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

For once a Kurt Plummer post that not only doesn't contain any acronyms but one that I also agree with

It would take far more effort to upgrade an out of date engine than to take the current Typhoon and build upon that. Plus if they did upgrade the old EF2000 no one would want to go out and buy Typhoon. You should look to building on our present not our past.

But hey, if DID/rage were to provide an upgrade patch for EF2000 I'd buy it.

------------------
Hell have no fury like a multiple sam launcher.

#558936 - 05/15/01 10:24 PM Re: D3D/OpenGL update/patch for EF2000 ver.2/EF2000 graphics+ PETITION  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Lars Birkemose:
Ofcause it would be a simple rewrite... a D3D call here... a D3D call there... and EF2000 should be W2K ready...

Super EF2000 was designed for 3DFx cards - the Glide API *COMPLETELY DIFFERENT* - it's not simply a case of D3D call here - you have to design the game from the ground up.

Cheers,
Manteau

#558937 - 05/15/01 10:31 PM Re: D3D/OpenGL update/patch for EF2000 ver.2/EF2000 graphics+ PETITION  
valleyboy Offline
valleyboy  Offline

Aberdare, Wales, UK
Super EF2000 with glide???? I thought it was DOS EF2000 with TATCOM that was 3Dfx enabled......or have I been playing super EF2000 without knowing that it supports glide???? THIS IS A CONFUSING WORLD!
On a different note;
Manteau your tweek has enabled me to play multiplayer by playing in a window I can actualy connect to someone without it dying on me I would buy you a drink....but by the time it would reach you it would be warm..........so I shall have a drink for you!

------------------
If it aint bust, you haven't played with it enough!

"The engines are overheating, and so am I!!, we either make a move, or blow up!, So which is it to be?!"
----------------------------------
"It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
#558938 - 05/15/01 10:34 PM Re: D3D/OpenGL update/patch for EF2000 ver.2/EF2000 graphics+ PETITION  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by valleyboy:
Super EF2000 with glide???? I thought it was DOS EF2000 with TATCOM that was 3Dfx enabled......or have I been playing super EF2000 without knowing that it supports glide???? THIS IS A CONFUSING WORLD!
On a different note;
Manteau your tweek has enabled me to play multiplayer by playing in a window I can actualy connect to someone without it dying on me I would buy you a drink....but by the time it would reach you it would be warm..........so I shall have a drink for you!

I thought it was one of the first 3D Accelerated games for the Voodoo1...

Perhaps I'm wrong - it was 5 years ago...

LOL - no problem

When using Windowed mode, can you move the mouse outside the Typhoon window? - I can't seem to, so it seems pointless to have this... - Perhaps it's just my drivers...

Cheers,
Manteau

#558939 - 05/15/01 10:48 PM Re: D3D/OpenGL update/patch for EF2000 ver.2/EF2000 graphics+ PETITION  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Manteau:
Super EF2000 was designed for 3DFx cards - the Glide API *COMPLETELY DIFFERENT* - it's not simply a case of D3D call here - you have to design the game from the ground up.

Cheers,
Manteau

Arghh.... is that a fact !!!
Then my life must end...
(taking out _real_ big knife and stabbing away on own torso)
Ydrkk... arghh... sigh... ahhsg..

Bimo
(it all ends here)

#558940 - 05/15/01 11:48 PM Re: D3D/OpenGL update/patch for EF2000 ver.2/EF2000 graphics+ PETITION  
otto2 Offline
otto2  Offline

Duesseldorf,Germany
Okay, ill pay 50 US $ for an upgrade.
i just have bought Typhoon, it s a good game,that s for sure. But i still love the atmosphere of the old Ef2000 GFX+. Maybe they can use the graphics engine of typhoon and upgrade the "Hardcore" elements, we re missing so hardly? Like sensitive settings for our sticks,mission editors, UR-Gear Support, etc.....
Also it could include a better manual. The german one was horrible boring. TAW manual was much better here.

#558941 - 05/16/01 02:22 AM Re: D3D/OpenGL update/patch for EF2000 ver.2/EF2000 graphics+ PETITION  
Gel214th Offline
Gel214th  Offline

Quote:
Actually, Gel 214th, it makes a lot of sense. This is exactly what Graphic Simulations is doing with Hornet: Korea Gold. They took a sim of similar vintage to EF2000 and updated it for D3D. SSI took an even larger leap with the free 2.5 add-on for Flanker 2.

Gel 214th, with this in mind, would you mind editing out your earlier post. I would love for this effort to get off on a positive note!

No I won't edit my post..because I still don't think it's a good idea.

You're analogy with Graphic Simulations does not apply, since they did not release a new title after Korea that was radically different from Korea, that they were trying to sell and market.

If you stop to logically consider the matter it would be marketing suicide to even mention a revamped EF2000 for Typhoon. People who are vacillating over buying or not buying would most probably hold off and wait.

The analogy with Flanker 2 and Flanker 2.5 is also flawed, as this was an Add-On which used the same graphics engine, same physics model etc. just tweaked it all a bit and added a new aircraft for us to fly.

Do you think after SSI releases LO:MAC..that it would make sense for them to go back and re-release Flanker 2 with a TnL graphics engine with full vertex shading etc. etc. ?

So I'll reiterate..
it doesn't make sense.

This is what everyone else in the thread has been telling you so far,just probably not so bluntly.

Wait for LO:MAC for your next Study - Sim, since this seems to be what you are looking for.

------------------
-Gel214th
CO 214th Annihilators

http://www.214th.com/flanker2

-Gel214th
#558942 - 05/16/01 02:59 AM Re: D3D/OpenGL update/patch for EF2000 ver.2/EF2000 graphics+ PETITION  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think we'd be better served with a new Typhoon expansion disk.

Typhoon graphics engine, sounds, AI, fm, aircraft, blah, blah + Norway = happy me, at the very least. Happy others too.

But one thing that might be very cool is if DID could use the same sounds for Comms and so on. (The thick norwegian accents, and so forth) That would ease EF2000 fans into the new Typhoon based iteration nicely.

Oh yeah, optional taxing would be nice ;-)

Gavin

#558943 - 05/16/01 03:33 AM Re: D3D/OpenGL update/patch for EF2000 ver.2/EF2000 graphics+ PETITION  
Uroboros Offline
Uroboros  Offline

Brooklyn, NY
This is what should happen in my opinion rather then Rage upgrading EF-2000

1. Rage release patch that fixes the most nagging of "bugs" and and quirks that Typhoon might have. If they can throw in an improvement or two with that first patch..then great.

2. There was mention that Rage was thinking about opening the campaign.and hopefully this will happen. The whole point of this would be too allow us to chose the opening factors of the campaign and what deciding would lead to a victory. etc.

3. What this also leads t of course of that possibility of 3rd party utilities perhaps. With TAW there was a third party utility that allowed one to create your own missions. Hopefully will see something like this either from Rage or they'll actively support interested third parties.

4. The supposed expansion for Typhoon would also be a welcome addition. Don't know how big an expansion this will be; but this would be the right time to improve some of the features of Typhoon.

Personally I don't think Rage has to do stray too far from the original concept of Typhoon to improve upon it. They don't have to feel like they have to turn the thing into a HARDCORE sim; they just have to improve and refine what's already there. IMHO.

5. Finally the my ultimate wish would be a Typhoon v.2. It would improve upon the campaign in the game we have know..but also add the same theater that was in the original EF2000. By then we'll all know what works in Typhoon and what needs improvement; and those things can be incorporated into version 2.

I think Typhoon is pretty good now and can be made great without being EF-2000.

And that folks has been my "I have a dream speech". With apologies to MLK.

[This message has been edited by Uroboros (edited 05-15-2001).]

#558944 - 05/16/01 04:19 AM Re: D3D/OpenGL update/patch for EF2000 ver.2/EF2000 graphics+ PETITION  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't want Typhoon to be EF2000.

;-)

I want it to be Typhoon with a few more bells and whistles. :-)

It's kinda like comparing uhm, lemons and limes, maybe, but I think if Typhoon were to get some features from EF2000 (cockpit, taxiing, Norway :-), drag modelling) then Typhoon would be a much more attractive thing, for me at least. It would mean that there would be more stuff to learn and enjoy within the realm of the established sim.

(I haven't talked to my dad, but i think I do currently own Typhoon!)

I want Typhoon to grow and grow, damnit!

;-)

Gavin

#558945 - 05/16/01 08:06 AM Re: D3D/OpenGL update/patch for EF2000 ver.2/EF2000 graphics+ PETITION  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with Gavin. We should look forwards, not back. Typhoon is a great base to build on, and if we can add things (and make changes) to typhoon to make it good, as in have the good qualities of its predecesors (spelling?), then isn't that what we want?

Think about it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Incredible historical ironies
by PanzerMeyer. 04/03/24 01:56 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.