Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#558660 - 05/13/01 01:09 AM A couple of questions  
grover Offline
grover  Offline

New Zealand
Hi all.
Typhoon is just about on my doorstep, so I have a couple of questions i'm hoping could be answered for me before then.

Firstly, I have a Saitek X36 usb, and through the posts around, this seems to be the most problematic stick with this game, so I was wondering if anyone had got it working to an acceptable standard, and if so, what versions of DX and SGE are being used. Also, is there anywhere I can find the Key Commands to pre-programme my stick? (I did buy it from software first - and I doubt if there are pirate copies in New Zealand yet and even if there were I don't buy pirate stuff)

2nd, has anyone been using Gamecommander with typhoon, and is there any scope for this kind of voice coms? If so, has anyone made a profile I can use?

3rd, The 3Dfx problems don't affect V5's is that correct?

4th, Is there any version of DX that is preferable to use, currently I am using DX8

5th, (i dont ask much do I), not having flown a DID sim before, can someone explain the views, particularly the 'Smart Views'? I keep hearing about them but have no understanding.

How do you take screenshots, I dare say I will be doing a review here in NZ, so if I need something like HyperSnap or somethhing, I can get that in advance, and if I do need a specific programme to take shots, what is your preferance.

Thanks heaps, I do appreciate any help I can get. Looking forward to this a bit too much I think

grover

------------------
New Zealand Simulations Forum

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#558661 - 05/13/01 02:41 PM Re: A couple of questions  
Tracer[formerly of CS] Offline
Tracer[formerly of CS]  Offline

This will be short and sweet!
I can't answer 1) as i don't have a Saitek
2) i *do* have Game Commander but do not have it installed and most certainly it's uses in EFT would be pretty gimmicky and limited as there are pretty few key's as it is in the sim.
3)don't have one
4)using DX8 myself with no prob's
5)DID patented the SmartView system away back in EF2000. It work's like watching hundred's of camera's placed all over the theatre: in plane's,ground vehicle's and weapon's. When you press F9 the smart view sytem kick's in and will switch view's *totaly Dynamicaly* to action hotspot's all around the theatre of war!
For instance you could be riding with a Harrier(in a virtual camera mode) attacking AAA with CRV-7's then the camera will jump to the weapon's view then finaly to the AAA's view while the rocket's are homing in on it!!
Or you could be watching a C-130 dropping supplies to frontline forces.
It's like watching a Gulf War new's report! and i just sit and watch the action like a TV set when i have landed at base. Quite riveting it is to.

HyperSnapDX is what i use because it's simplicity it's self! One press of "Scroll Lock" take's a pic! The only downside is that it leave's a watermark at the top left saying that it's unregistered(so what eh?)
It also downsize's pic's without much res loss but at a huge saving in MB's!!
that and you can save in load's of format's
http://www.hyperionics.com

Tracer

------------------
"Flying is the second hardest thing known to man.........the first is landing!"

[This message has been edited by Tracer[formerly of CS] (edited 05-13-2001).]

#558662 - 05/13/01 04:14 PM Re: A couple of questions  
Tracer[formerly of CS] Offline
Tracer[formerly of CS]  Offline

Deleted

[This message has been edited by Tracer[formerly of CS] (edited 05-13-2001).]

#558663 - 05/13/01 05:32 PM Re: A couple of questions  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Grover,

As to your question about Saiteks.
I have a Saitek X35/36, and this is working without problems. As far as I can see, I'm using the SGE v. 3 beta. Downloaded it from http://www.saitek.com. I'm using DX 8.0a.

My only problem with this game is still graphic related.

Plov

#558664 - 05/13/01 05:40 PM Re: A couple of questions  
Platypus Offline
Platypus  Offline

Clayton, CA, USA
I'm using Game Commander and it works great! I did have to mess with the "delay duration" between keystrokes a bit. I have it set to 1000.

#558665 - 05/13/01 06:08 PM Re: A couple of questions  
EAF92 Cop Offline
EAF92 Cop  Offline

Chester Cheshire United Kingdo...
If you send me your E-mail address i`ll send you the profile I`ve made. The only problem i seemed to have encountered is the throttle, well its a bit odd. The first 25% of its movement is very sensetive as is the last 25%. But the midrange is lacking. I`m running DX7 at the moment after a complete reinstall (see the thread about major probs. LOL), but plan to reload DX8a tonight to see if that cures the problem. Other than that its fine.

AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ processor.MSI K9N Platinum motherboard. 2 gig ram. Nvidia 1gig 7950 GTX.Track IR 3pro with VE & Track Clip Pro. TM Cougar Hotas.
#558666 - 05/13/01 08:57 PM Re: A couple of questions  
grover Offline
grover  Offline

New Zealand
Thanks for the replies all.

Cop, my email is grover@clover-park.school.nz
and much appreciated.

Platypus, would it be too much of me to ask for your game commander profile?
Thanks for the heads up about the smart views tracer and Hyper Snap.

regards grover

------------------
New Zealand Simulations Forum

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.