Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#557345 - 05/07/01 05:42 PM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

a uk politiciAn once said that being questioned by an opposition member was

" like being savaged by a dead sheep ! "

I think i now know how he feels !

RALMAO

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#557346 - 05/08/01 12:27 AM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  
Gel214th Offline
Gel214th  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris_S:
Frankly I think it is appalling the way Rage cant support basic hardware. I cant get this sim to run on my system which is clearly shown as being supported (see link for scan).

http://www.geocities.com/typhoonstuff/boxscan.html

This message has been edited by Chris_S (edited 05-07-2001).]

ROFL!!

Oh! Oh! This is TOO RICH!
I'm actually..LOL..tears are in my eyes ..
hahahahahhahaah!

where's this little SAS guy for this one? lol lol!

-Gel214th
#557347 - 05/08/01 01:32 AM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  
Slappy Offline
Slappy  Offline

Santa Rosa, CA
Woohoo!!! FLAME WAR!

Been awhile. Figured I'd get my digs in before the topic is closed.

You folks gotta listen to SAS. He DID scan his box. You are all wrong and should apologize to him for your doubt.

Of course he grabbed a 3dfx logo off the net, printed it in all it's crappy 72dpi glory and then pasted it onto his box and THEN scanned his box.

Ingenious!

Sucks about the voodoo 3 cards, but think about it guys. Has there EVER been a computer product that lists specific incompatibilities on the box? Nope. Sure would have been nice to know that EECH didn't work with my USB joystick. Sure wasn't printed on the box. Just one example.

... I will admit that it is probably time for folks to update their voodoo 3 cards. But those folks who say update ALL voodoo cards don't realize something.

The voodoo 5 card is THE BEST card on the market right now at doing anti-aliasing, a feature that is a HUGE BENEFIT to flight sims. When and ONLY when a card comes out that does AA better, I will upgrade.

In other words, are you asking me to spend money to DOWNGRADE my card!?!

Are you a bunch of freaking idiots?

Break left... @#!$%^&% Your OTHER left!
#557348 - 05/08/01 01:38 AM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ooohhh Madame!

Dont get in a tiz...

[This message has been edited by Chris_S (edited 05-07-2001).]

#557349 - 05/08/01 01:49 AM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  
Gel214th Offline
Gel214th  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Slappy:
Woohoo!!! FLAME WAR!
The voodoo 5 card is THE BEST card on the market right now at doing anti-aliasing, a feature that is a HUGE BENEFIT to flight sims. When and ONLY when a card comes out that does AA better, I will upgrade.

In other words, are you asking me to spend money to DOWNGRADE my card!?!

Are you a bunch of freaking idiots?

You are incorrect.
The GeForce 3 is the best card on the market now for Antialiasing.
It can do Full screen FSAA 4x4 faster than the Voodoo 5, and it has its own version of Antialiasing..Quincun is it? That is even faster.

So..come again.

-Gel214th
#557350 - 05/08/01 02:01 AM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  
Slappy Offline
Slappy  Offline

Santa Rosa, CA
Bah!

It came out when? Today? Isn't that what the news page today on SimHQ says?

Is it really better? I need to do some research. Do you have links to reviews?

400 U.S. dollars man. Ouch.

So what you are saying is that the very TOP of the line graphics accelerator.... which became available for most people TODAY.... which costs upwards of $400, MAY be better than the voodoo 5 at antialiasing (doubt that as they haven't had time to incorportate 3dfx technology into new products).

*shrugs* Maybe I'll buy one. Have to check out real world tests. I have doubts about the AA on it though... specially when 4x4 in geforce terms means pure crap.

I don't think most people are suggesting upgrading to geforce 3's though. I think they are most likely suggesting geforce 2's of various flavors.

and so...

What? Spend money to downgrade my card?

What are you? A bunch of freaking idiots?

[This message has been edited by Slappy (edited 05-07-2001).]

Break left... @#!$%^&% Your OTHER left!
#557351 - 05/08/01 02:14 AM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  
Gel214th Offline
Gel214th  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Slappy:
Bah!

It came out when? Today? Isn't that what the news page today on SimHQ says?

Is it really better? I need to do some research. Do you have links to reviews?

400 U.S. dollars man. Ouch.

IT did not come out today.
A card by a specific manufacturer came out recently.

You stated that the Voodoo 5 was the best card at Anti Aliasing on the market...I informed you that it was not.

You are now quantifying your statement by saying that it is the best card at anti-aliasing within a particular price range.
Fair enough.

As to your notion of 'downgrading' your card, I believe it has already been said several times that there is no more official support for the Voodoo 5.

Therefore, game developers will slowly but surely stop supporting the card in future products.

If you are willing to buy a card now because of its FSAA, knowing full well the risk involved and that you are buying an already obsolete product with questionable driver support in the future, then be my guest.

I ,personally, don't think its a smart idea.

[This message has been edited by Gel214th (edited 05-07-2001).]

-Gel214th
#557352 - 05/08/01 06:44 AM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  
NipponDSM Offline
NipponDSM  Offline

VA
Quote:
Originally posted by Gel214th:
Originally posted by *Hengist*:
lol, 3dfx cards.

enuf said

Quote:

Hee hee hee..
indeed.

moaning and groaning that a game recently released does not work with a graphics card that has no vendor support or recent drivers released for it.

This is a "Duuuuh" moment

incredibly the game appears to be non 3dfx compatible

Get used to it dude. This is going to happen more and more, and there's nothing 'incedible' or 'unbelievable' about it.

Oh..and please explain how rebooting will ruin your hard drive?

Uhmmm...wasn't 3dfx still in business when Typhoon was being developed? I believe so.

The fact is that, even now, 3dfx cards have a strong presence. In fact, I just bought a V3 3500TV just so I could capture. All my prior sims work with this card. All my prior sims worked with my other card also, a TNT2. TNT2s are no longer manufacturered, just like V3s, but I'm betting Typhoon works with the TNT2 just fine. Strange marketing concept there.

A 3dfx owner with problems running Typhoon SHOULD post a warning to other 3dfx card owners. Nothing wrong with that at all. It wouldn't have helped my any though, since I already know that Typhoon ain't for me...

------------------
Ron aka NipponDSM http://members.tripod.com/~WIGGLIT/EECH.html

[This message has been edited by NipponDSM (edited 05-08-2001).]

Currently playing:
  • Arma 2 & 3
  • IL2 Sturmovik (BoK, BoB, & BoS)

Videos/Broadcasts
#557353 - 05/08/01 09:20 AM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  
Hunedog Offline
Hunedog  Offline

Vancouver BC Canada
Gel, You should read this article before you state the GF3 is the finest FSAA around. http://fullon3d.com/reports/fsaa/ Basically the GF3 uses its old GF2 OGSS Supersampling(Hello banded skies and blurry huds) for it's 2x and 4x and an even older edge antialiasing Multisampling technology for it's oh so sexy Quincunx. Wrong answer Doooooooood!

"It's not about the money Son, It's about rules. You see without rules we all might as well live in trees and fling our crap at each other."
Red Foreman on That 70's Show
#557354 - 05/08/01 09:42 AM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  
Uroboros Offline
Uroboros  Offline

Brooklyn, NY
Nevermind...wrong reply

[This message has been edited by Uroboros (edited 05-08-2001).]

#557355 - 05/08/01 10:08 AM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Voodoo 5 definitely still has the best 4x FSAA on the market, as it uses a nonordered grid, while the GeForce 3 uses an inferior ordered grid supersampling in the usual regimes.

The Quincunx FSAA of the GeForce 2, however, is most likely the best 2x FSAA out today, as it uses a nonordered grid and then shares the samples between the pixels.

Considering the performance hit, my guess is that the newest sims wouldn't use more than 2x FSAA anyway, so one could then say that the GeForce 3 does effectively offer the best FSAA currently.

-Gecko

#557356 - 05/08/01 12:45 PM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  
GrahamD Offline
GrahamD  Offline

Loughton, Essex, UK
I thought that this game was essentially finished long before 3DFX went under. I remember some time ago, when we were all wondering what had happened to Typhoon (could be as long as a year ago) I read through the release notes of the Voodoo 3 drivers and found that an some issue relating to Typhoon had been fixed. Clearly Rage were working with 3DFX at the time. Sorry I can't tell you what version it was. I think the release notes were posted seperately from the driver file, so I didn't download it. So if anyone has access to past release notes from 3DFX you might like to search for "Typhoon". This driver version obviously worked with the build of Typhoon that was current at the time.

#557357 - 05/08/01 01:04 PM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  
GrahamD Offline
GrahamD  Offline

Loughton, Essex, UK
Details of release notes are as follows:
Driver version 1.05.02 beta.
Copy available at:
http://www.gamers-ammo.com/3DFX/VOODOO3/2000-3000/BETA/Beta_Release_Notes_w9x.doc

Drivers also available here (I havn't tried this link and havn't tried this version with Typhoon either).

Clip from section 3.11 of release notes:

3.11 Know Issues Addressed Since Last Official Release
The following issues have been addressed in this release:
Texture Warping in DX7
Texture corruption and z-buffer problems on Eurofighter Typhoon
Rage's Typhoon: Extreme Landscape texture distortion

So 3DFX have worked with Typhoon, or part of it.

Dated 17th August 2000.

#557358 - 05/08/01 01:58 PM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  
Gel214th Offline
Gel214th  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by GrahamD:
Details of release notes are as follows:
Driver version 1.05.02 beta.

Copy available at ated 17th August 2000.

I hardly think that a release dated August 2000 is applicable for a game that was released May 2001.

Please..

Also, 3dfxboy's post was a bit more than just "pointing out the game doesn't work with his 3DFX card" don't ya think?
Read it..

-Gel214th
#557359 - 05/08/01 03:24 PM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  
GrahamD Offline
GrahamD  Offline

Loughton, Essex, UK
Typhoon was "finished" at that time, whatever that means. It has no doubt been tweaked a little since then, but the delay has been due to change of publishers. The fact that these drivers worked with Typhoon at the time might help find the problem.

#557360 - 05/09/01 09:53 AM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello everyone, Let me just say sorry for the trouble that "SAS" Caused, Let me assure you that that person is not me!
In the past month some little twerp has been pretending to be me on a lot of
forums/groups. He also managed to hack my web site recently, I deleted all his crap from the server so the Photo he posted here (And the other crap he used my site for) is no longer there.
I will hopefully catch him/her soon.

Sorry for that crap you had to put up with.

The Real Donald Marshall.

------------------
Donald Marshall
http://deltaforcecommand.org.uk
For All Your Special Forces Game Needs.
http://flashpoint.deltaforcecommand.org.uk
For All Your Flashpoint Game Needs.

#557361 - 05/09/01 12:38 PM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I hate to burst everyones bubble here but there is definately no 3dfx label on the box as it was removed after 3dfx were contacted by rage about compatability problems with their cards. They were looking into the matter and then they were bought out by Nvidia. A lot of good friends lost their jobs thanks to that little take over. As far as I understand things, there are still some unofficial drivers about on the net as some of the original 3dfx team are looking to set up a company by themselves. The Voodoo 4&5 were rushed out. I know as I did a lot of testing for the Voodoo 5. There unofficial beta drivers before they got took over where there best bet, but there were still major compatability problems. As for the Voodoo 3 it suffered from not being able to support certain colour palletes and resolutions. Since 3dfx's demise I think you will find similar problems arising with later games.

#557362 - 05/09/01 08:03 PM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow, siverswift...
You really do have issues.

But the good news is that Rage has found a problem with the HUD code and is issuing a fix for 3dfx users.

Maybe it does help to have faith.

#557363 - 05/09/01 08:12 PM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fishbed, if the way you've been going on is "having faith", I'd *hate* to see what happens when you're being doubtful... [g]

------------------
Mike Rovardi
BAE Systems Warton
Please note opinions expressed in my posts are my own and not those of my employer

#557364 - 05/10/01 03:28 AM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Magnet, what does that mean? I don't know what you think, but Steve and Rage should really be commended for pulling through for there customers. They haved really proved their commitment to this sim. Now if they could just get it on US shelves.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Incredible historical ironies
by PanzerMeyer. 04/03/24 01:56 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.