Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#557285 - 05/06/01 01:20 AM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just don't understand how my graphics card can be insufficient for Typhoon when EVERY SINGLE OTHER SIM that I own works well with it (running DirectX 8.0a). This is doubly true considering that Typhoon was completed some time ago and is no more advanced graphically than other sims on my system. I have a few that do require DirectX 7.0, which has always worked well with my card. Does this mean that Rage intends on leaving Voodoo 3 owners out in the cold? Are you not going to help us at all? Steve, you promised me this wouldn't be another "Nations"-style fiasco. Please tell me this still holds true.

[This message has been edited by Fishbed77 (edited 05-05-2001).]

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#557286 - 05/06/01 01:30 AM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

This words "driver issue" is just not getting through to you is it?

#557287 - 05/06/01 01:40 AM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  
Gel214th Offline
Gel214th  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jema - SimHQ:
This words "driver issue" is just not getting through to you is it?

Nope..Fishbed's posts are bordering now on Trolling as far as I'm concerned.

^_^
To be so obtuse is unnatural.

I mean..how can one expect a card which does not have any official driver support anymore, to be compatible with the latest games that are now utilising a recent technology?
T&L and DirectX 8?

Even Nvidia with active driver development has a bit of trouble with the new DX8 specification.

*shrug*

Course if I could, I would take the game from Fishbed and send him a cheque just to end the senselessness

-Gel214th
#557288 - 05/06/01 01:40 AM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is a copy of what I posted somwhere else + I dont want to rub anyone up the wrong way here. But lets look at this sensibly!

I understand the issues involved with obselescent drivers but:

1) The game's "minumum spec" explicity indicates that DirectX-7 compatible graphics cards are sufficient.

2) 3dfx drivers + cards, that have been usable with DirectX7+, have been available for several months.

3) This game does not work on a large number of systems based around 3dfx chipsets

Intuitively, one might suggest that the onus is on Rage to, swiftly, provide compensation (refunds) or remediation (a patch).

I.E. Rather than Rage/ Rage-devotees trying to pin the blame on a bust company, surely it is better (for everyone) to solve the conflict.

But, of course, only an opinion...

#557289 - 05/06/01 01:48 AM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  
Smily Offline
Smily  Offline

Some small rural German villag...
"Driver Issue" is a bit hard to swallow if the only program that does not run because it uses such advanced features that the drivers can`t deliver looks... erm... well... not really great... but rather like something that came out 2 or 3 years ago... while other programms that look far better run flawless on the same system.

I know that this "driver issue" stuff is not Rage`s fault... but it is Rage`s fault that the landscape looks rather... erm... well... uhm... "If you can`t think of anything nice to say, then don`t say anything at all"

BTW... am I the only one that is amazed that some problems that already were in EF2000 like, 6 years ago are back in full glory in Typhoon (for example that nose whipping up & down stuff... even if it may be realistic with the "real" Typhoon, it`s a real showstopper for an action sim...)

A paranoid is simply someone in possession of all the facts.
#557290 - 05/06/01 01:50 AM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Chris

Excellent post.

You are right...let's stop trying to put the blame on anyone or anything. Instead, we should all work towards pinning down exactly what's going wrong here.

Thanks to all for keeping this civil and informative. Sims have had these kinds of problems before...let's fix ours!

Andy

#557291 - 05/06/01 04:16 AM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  
Decca Offline
Decca  Offline

Ottawa Canada
Well Andy, I'd like to know why this game
wont run smoothly on my Atari ST...

I'm not sure just what graphics card(if any) it has.
Please dont tell me to upgrade.

Nowhere on the box does it say it 'wont' run on my system.
Hopefully a patch is in the works?

ps...
Also,even with my dual external disk drives the diskette swaps (450) are taking away from the immersion factor.

Decca

Decca
#557292 - 05/06/01 09:03 AM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

well, at least i know not to get too excited.
Back to JFA18, later. lol this thread has given me a good laugh anyway.

#557293 - 05/06/01 12:24 PM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have just joined this forum, after buying and experiencing trouble with Typhoon, I have this to say:

I bought typhoon after a review and advertising campaign one of the adverts published listed the 3DFX logo plus shots saying "Takin with a Voddoo 3 3000" Now if the game doesn't work with a Voodoo 3 THAT is false advertisng and Illegal here in the UK, Wheter 3DFX have closed or not is a moot point the advert was run by Rage and they are legally bound to make sure the game supports it's advertisments. If this is not fixed ASAP then I plan on taking Legal action against Rage for False Advertisment.

------------------
Donald Marshall
http://deltaforcecommand.org.uk
For All Your Special Forces Game Needs.
http://flashpoint.deltaforcecommand.org.uk
For All Your Flashpoint Game Needs.

#557294 - 05/06/01 12:57 PM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  
Clark Offline
Clark  Offline

Vaxjo, Sweden
I don't have the game, but I do have a Voodoo3 2000 PCI.

Have anyone tried the Omega drivers?
Get them at http://www.omegacorner.com. They say to be DX8 compatible.

/Clark

Pentium 4 3,6GHz
2 Gb RAM
ATI Radeon
SB Live
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
Home of Clark
#557295 - 05/06/01 01:00 PM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by SAS:
I have just joined this forum, after buying and experiencing trouble with Typhoon, I have this to say:

I bought typhoon after a review and advertising campaign one of the adverts published listed the 3DFX logo plus shots saying "Takin with a Voddoo 3 3000" Now if the game doesn't work with a Voodoo 3 THAT is false advertisng and Illegal here in the UK, Wheter 3DFX have closed or not is a moot point the advert was run by Rage and they are legally bound to make sure the game supports it's advertisments. If this is not fixed ASAP then I plan on taking Legal action against Rage for False Advertisment.

You could try the Advertisng Standards Authority over the advert, they might issue a ruling, but I don't think it's a legal matter. Your contract exists for the purchase of the goods as actually presented, and clearly 3Dfx are NOT listed as a compatible chipset on that rather large label plastered across the end of the box (at least on my copy).

There are number of posts elsewhere from people in a similar predicament, I have a particular problem with the joystick for some reason. Just chill, I'm sure we'd all rather be part of the solution

#557296 - 05/06/01 01:51 PM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually my box has a 3DFX logo on it.
It is actually a crinimal offence punishable by a custodial sentance to make a false claim, there are numerous laws covering it, including "The Computer Missuse Act (1991)" "The Advertising Standards Act (1980)" and "The Sale of Goods Act" are just three of the acts.

The contract is between me and the shop acting on behalf of Rage Software Ltd. Rage have failed to comply with the relevent acts of Parliment releating to advertising and sale of Goods.This game is not fit for sale due to the amount of bugs/problems in it, and Trading Standards are starting to clamp down on unfinished/buggy software being released.

------------------
Donald Marshall

#557297 - 05/06/01 02:35 PM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Actually my box has a 3DFX logo on it.
Trading Standards are starting to clamp down on unfinished/buggy software being released.

Where did you buy your copy? I'm curious, I've double checked my copy from GAME UK and there's definitely no 3Dfx logo anywhere on the sleeve and it's certainly not listed under "compatible cards" on the box end. Perhaps you could see if anyone else has a box that specifically shows the 3Dfx logo?

If trading standards are going after buggy software I imagine they ought to start with Windoze

[This message has been edited by Vorlon (edited 05-06-2001).]

#557298 - 05/06/01 03:31 PM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  
Tracer[formerly of CS] Offline
Tracer[formerly of CS]  Offline

As per Vorlon,
Mine doesn't have a 3DFX logo?? It *does* have a "3D" On the side saying "3D Accelerator Card Required" But certainly no "3DFX" Logo which is pretty distinct to say the least..............

Since the game doesn't directly support a 3DFX product namely a Voodoo# it would be like putting a BMW badge on a Ford......?!

You sure you are not mistaking the side logo SAS? If not i would imagine Steve would want a word with you.

Tracer

------------------
"Flying is the second hardest thing known to man.........the first is landing!"

#557299 - 05/06/01 06:21 PM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

On the side of the Box I have 3 logo's the PC CDROM logo the 3D Card required Logo and the 3DFX logo this is on both sides of the box.

I purchased it yesterday in Electronics Boutique.

------------------
Donald Marshall

#557300 - 05/06/01 06:45 PM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  
valleyboy Offline
valleyboy  Offline

Aberdare, Wales, UK
Well, as far as I can remember, the 3Dfx logo denotes that the Glide API is used, and as 3Dfx are no longer with us, and don't offer drivers anymore, I don't think we will see a Glide based game for a while.....I am not too bright mind you, but as far as I know, Typhoon is strictly a Direct3D application, like Jane's F/A-18. Therefore the 3Dfx logo shouldn't, and isn't as far as I know on the box. Remember Jane's F-15 and Longbow 2?? they had 3Dfx logos on the box because they were for 3Dfx (on release) only, and software, though if you used software for Longbow 2 your eyes would go all funny (well my eyes did!)

------------------
If it aint bust, you haven't played with it enough!

"The engines are overheating, and so am I!!, we either make a move, or blow up!, So which is it to be?!"
----------------------------------
"It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
#557301 - 05/06/01 06:59 PM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

well I Must have a rare box and unless Rage can prove beyond resnoble doubt to a court of law that that is a mistake then they are still responsable.

As for Glide games "Operation Flashpoint Cold War Crisis" will support 3DFX and Glide, in fact it runs better under glide than D3D at least the demo does

I have Janes FA/18 It runs fine on the system.

------------------
Donald Marshall

#557302 - 05/06/01 08:27 PM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is interesting. SAS, have you got a scanner handy? Can you show us this version of the box, since no one else seems to have one.

------------------
Mike Rovardi
BAE Systems Warton
Please note opinions expressed in my posts are my own and not those of my employer

#557303 - 05/06/01 09:03 PM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
well I Must have a rare box and unless Rage can prove beyond resnoble doubt to a court of law that that is a mistake then they are still responsable.

Do you have a digicam or scanner handy?

There are no glide API routines in Typhoon so it would be pointless putting a 3Dfx sticker on it. BTW, do you mean sticker or actually printed on the box?

You're sure you haven't bought EF2000 v2 which had glide support?

Cheers,
Manteau

#557304 - 05/06/01 09:03 PM Re: TYPHOON Warning To USA & worldwide 3dfx owners  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Even if the box says nothing about 3dfx, what difference does that make?

You've all got it backwards. What it should indicate is that it does not support V3 cards.

It seems to me that Rage could do a service to customers by giving them information that they might find useful. Steve Hunt is technically correct when he says it's 3dfx's fault for not giving good drivers.

But my point is, if Rage knows its a problem, why not share it with the legions of V3 owners before they buy the product? Why should I have to be a hardware driver afficionado to know if the game is going to run on my system?

It would be much more reasonable for Rage to warn V3 owners off (and it's not an unusual card) rather than telling me, the customer, that I should have checked if my video card's drivers were Direct X 7. or 8 certified.

I appreciate what Steve is trying to do in solving the problem, but that sort of legalistic response rubs me the wrong way.

Ken

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Incredible historical ironies
by PanzerMeyer. 04/03/24 01:56 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.