Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#557135 - 05/05/01 03:12 AM WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well to cut a long story short i am too getting the following error , after flying the plane for a few mins , the game freezes , have to reboot the pc - can't even get back to desktop !
this is not doing my pc or hds any good

error is - c:\cvsmil\3dream.win\ etc etc

now that dir does not even exist on my c:drive - im installed on d:\typhoon

im running 500 cpu , 128 ram , dx8 , sb live sfx - 3dfx voodoo 3 pci 2000 gfx !!
dec 2000 whql 3dfx drivers

Andy Bush posted this in another thresd
=========================================
3DFX
----
Voodoo 2 - 3DFX has ceased support for DirectX7 Transform and Lighting applications for this card
Voodoo 3 - Drivers not yet fully DirectX7 compliant
Voodoo 5 - Drivers not yet fully DirectX7 compliant

so what does all this mean are we saying that Typhoon is not 3dfx compatible ??????
- most advertising pics were done on v5 3dfx i believe

voodoo 3 cards are the most numerous with gamers out there !

i checked the credits of the product an extensive testing team existed - and an outside testing company too !

It beggars belief that Rage does not know that this occurs - a voodoo 3 card with dx 8 drivers is not the lost ark of the covenant for gods sake !

All my other games & sims in my extensive collection work fine !

Sorry to be negative but i am sooo angry i have waited for this for years paid my money - for crashes / lock ups - your product is knackering my pc!

Sorry but if this is not fixed quickly over this long weekend here in UK , my copy will be going back to the shop too !

Disgruntled customer and 3dfx boy !

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#557136 - 05/05/01 03:23 AM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  
Silverswift Offline
Silverswift  Offline

Milwaukee WI
While I can definately understand your dissappointment and frustration, (I still don't know why it so hard for developers for one game to work perfect and another not, on a given system!), I think you should be pointing that angry finger at 3dfx where it belongs, versus Rage. Mind you, I don't have the game yet, but those 3dfx drivers were for crap when they came out, let alone now, when there is no more 3dfx. 3dfx, however great it once was, hasn't gave a damn about customer support since buying the S3 company and going off on their own. And now that they shot themselve square in the head, I don't feel sorry for them. However, it's their loyal customers who ultimately bore the burden. I haven't had a 3dfx card since my dual V2s (had a V1 before that). I saw the writing on the wall when that crappy Banshee/Voodoo 3 came out, and went GeForce.

Quad 9650 *
2 WD 160GB SATA, Raid 0 *
Two GTX 295, in quad *
*all water cooled by Koolance
8GB Corsair DDR3 @1600mhz
ASUS Striker 790i NSE
28" HannsG LCD
Audigy X Fi Fatal1ty Edition
1000kw Enermax PSU
Klipsch 5.1 Ultra
#557137 - 05/05/01 03:24 AM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

just had a thought is this
c:\cvsmil\3dream.win

a developers directory ?

eg is this a set of dev tools on rage machines , not included on shop cd , that the game / 3dfx card is calling too ??

??????????

#557138 - 05/05/01 03:36 AM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
I have the game installed on a PII 266 using a V3 3000. It runs OK. Slow, because of the CPU, but no graphics problems to date.

I let the game install Dx7.

Andy

#557139 - 05/05/01 03:43 AM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok , please how does one deinstall dx8

you cant just back date/over write , other posters have also stated they tried all drivers and all dx's and still having same prob ?

ill give it a go - but i cant rid my pc of dx8 in favour of 7 !!

Help please

#557140 - 05/05/01 03:58 AM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
3dfxboy

I'm no expert on Dx7/8, but you may not be able to 'go back' to Dx7. Maybe someone else in the know can answer.

If not here, try the SimHQ Tech forum...I'm sure you will get a good answer there.

Andy

#557141 - 05/05/01 04:01 AM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

mmmmmmmm found my answer here

microsoft quote
===============

Q. How do I uninstall DirectX?

A. DirectX 8.0a is a system component and cannot be uninstalled. If there is a problem with the DirectX install, it can normally be resolved by shutting down all running applications and reinstalling. As mentioned previously, DirectX 8.0a is fully backward-compatible with titles written for previous versions of DirectX. If you are having other problems after installing DirectX 8, these can often be resolved by installing updated drivers for your display card, audio card, or input device.

so i can't backdate to dx7 , without reinstalling the whole operating system !

And no way am i doing that for one game / sim !

if Typhoon is not back compatible thru DX , and 3dfx v3 stable then frankly its going back to the shop !

Its just not acceptable - i note the read me file with game does not say -

Oh BTW 3dfx owners reformat your hard drive and install DX7 ?????

?????????????????

#557142 - 05/05/01 04:11 AM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Andy Bro , dont get humpy man !

Im posting here in the official Typhoon forum about problems, about trying to fly the flaming thing after i've supported Rage , and purchased their product with my hard earned cash !

Until today - i had never even see it fly , i have now flown it for 2 mins then lock ups - im frustrated ,desperate , tired & pissed off , i'm not a thicky when it comes to games tinkering , patches , editing ,cracks , reg edits etc etc !

But im not Moses man , i can't part the red sea , me and alot of other posters are reporting this game is broke on v3 3dfx , just want a fix , or my money back !

After what i have seen i want to keep this sim and fly it , so excuse my tone , im a little abrasive in view of the above !!

#557143 - 05/05/01 09:30 AM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  
SilentKnight Offline
SilentKnight  Offline

England
I agree with 3DFX boy. I too want this sim to work. I've tried everything I can think of, for about 6 hours last night and the only "support" voodoo 3 owners seem to have received is through the read me file ie, that basically, the game won't work with that card. So unless there is a breakthrough by this afternoon, I'm afraid it's going back

#557144 - 05/05/01 12:59 PM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  
SilentKnight Offline
SilentKnight  Offline

England
Well, to me it now seems clear that Typhoon doesn't work with a 3dfx Voodoo 3 card, nor will it in the near future, so sadly it's boxed up and on its way back.

#557145 - 05/05/01 01:20 PM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a 3dfx Voodoo3 and the demo runs fine. Will the final version then run fine also?

#557146 - 05/05/01 01:46 PM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fishbed,

I also have voodoo3 card that worked fine with demo but not with game. So if you want my advice: either wait for a patch or make sure you keep hold of your receipt if you do buy!

I know its been said before but I just cant beleive that DID could ignore 3dfx its got to be one of the more common setups people have.

From the 2 minutes I usually get in the game it looks very promising, which only makes it more annoying really ..rant....rant...rant

#557147 - 05/05/01 02:14 PM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Update on Typhoon and the V3 problem...

I'm joining the crowd. I got 32 minutes into the game (wartime scenario) when the game locked up. I played a co-op scenario and it locked up at about the 5 minute point. Had to reboot both times.

Bummer. Let's hope there is a fix.

Andy

#557148 - 05/05/01 09:08 PM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

THERE DAMN WELL BETTER BE A FIX!!! I JUST DROPPED ABOUT $50 ON PREORDERING THIS SIM THAT WAS ADVERTISED TO WORK WELL WITH 3DFX CARDS!!!!!

Geez, the news just keeps getting worse and worse. I had second thoughts when I ordered this game. I should have listened to my gut.

#557149 - 05/05/01 09:23 PM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  
stephenwhite Offline
stephenwhite  Offline

Macclesfield, Cheshire, Englan...
Jesus Christ. Give Rage/DID a chance. Either wait for a patch or take it back, but don't sulk at your computers - there are far more important things in life.

I would imagine that Rage realise there is now a problem with 3Dfx and will attempt to sort it out. But for goodness sake stop ranting and raving like a bunch of spoilt brats.

This always happens, with every sim and yet you still erupt like this is the first time this sort of thing has ever happened.

Saxon

#557150 - 05/05/01 09:23 PM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Andy,

Have you changed cards then? - you've been playing Typhoon for months with no probs - if not, is there anything else that you've changed?

Cheers,

Steve

#557151 - 05/05/01 09:35 PM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

stevenwhite, If you purchased a car that was advertised to run on petrol, fueled it up with petrol only to have the engine explode because it really ran on diesel fuel, you mean to tell me you wouldn't feel angry and betrayed? Then you have some prick tell you to get over it and just buy a diesel engine at your own expense because nobody drives a petrol-fueled car anymore. Get a life.

[This message has been edited by Fishbed77 (edited 05-05-2001).]

#557152 - 05/05/01 09:42 PM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  
stephenwhite Offline
stephenwhite  Offline

Macclesfield, Cheshire, Englan...
Fishbed - that argument is as old as the hills and I've heard it so many times before. They said it on the B17 forum - on the BoB forum. Games have bugs, drivers have bugs, hardware can be crap.

This is the computer industry, not the automobile industry and if you haven't realised that yet then you need help. Ever since the advent of computers there have been problems of this kind and this will continue.

If you find this situation intolerable then buy a console because it's never going to change. Alernatively, give up computer games altogether and get yourself a Ferrari.

Saxon

#557153 - 05/05/01 09:44 PM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fish,

Your right, you should feel angry, but not at us but at your card manufacturer.

Typhoon is DX7 complient - their drivers are not - the responsiblity to update their drivers inline with DX is theirs.

Bet you paid more than 30quid for that card - but how many mails have you sent them?

Not having a go - just trying to show the real picture here.

Steve

#557154 - 05/05/01 09:46 PM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well Steve, all I can say is that you better change what is listed on your web site, and quickly recall every unit of Typhoon that is shipped thus far, and offer a full refund to each consumer. You should then paste a label on each and every Typhhon box that is placed back on the market clearly indicating that it will not run on 3DFX cards. That is the only ethical thing you can do at this point other than fixing the game. I can give you my address so you can send me the check if you need it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Incredible historical ironies
by PanzerMeyer. 04/03/24 01:56 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.