Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#557155 - 05/05/01 09:47 PM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Steve

I use a V5 5500 and it runs the game with no problems. I use Dx7a.

When these reports started coming in about the V3, I loaded the game on another computer that has the V3 3000 in it just to see what was going on. Initially I did not see any problems, but after letting the game run for a while I did get the same lock ups that others have reported.

Andy

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#557156 - 05/05/01 09:47 PM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  
Uroboros Offline
Uroboros  Offline

Brooklyn, NY
And of course as has been stated before the demo readme clearly states

** Graphics cards known issues **

3DFX
----
Voodoo 2 - 3DFX has ceased support for DirectX7 Transform and Lighting applications for this card
Voodoo 3 - Drivers not yet fully DirectX7 compliant
Voodoo 5 - Drivers not yet fully DirectX7 compliant

Which I guess should be interpeted as.."We can not guarentee compatibility with these cards"

Hopefully this can be fixed so everyone can be happy.

[This message has been edited by Uroboros (edited 05-05-2001).]

#557157 - 05/05/01 09:51 PM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by stephenwhite:
Jesus Christ. Give Rage/DID a chance. Either wait for a patch or take it back, but don't sulk at your computers - there are far more important things in life.
This always happens, with every sim and yet you still erupt like this is the first time this sort of thing has ever happened.

Saxon

Ok so how long do you need then to make a sim compatible with the most popular and widely held video card - 3dfx ???

Was not the development cycle long enough ! ?????

Of course people are upset about this situation - as for getting a life - if you read these forums - people even took days off work / uni / college , sick days etc just to buy this product and fly it !

You have a point , yes this is only a computer game / sim , but NO don't be so naieve or heartless in your condemnation !

Frankly the buying public are NOT any publishers or developers BETA testers !

And YES taking it back for a refund is a real possibility , i'll give it a few days then whammo - back to EB , no threats , just facts , the clock is ticking !

The sim looks great , i want to fly and enjoy it , i can't , i have plenty of other sims / games to play & fly !

I purchased Hostile Waters with Typhoon on the same day , so i like Rage products , liked Incoming alot too , and i intend to buy Incoming Forces !

Funny though that and all my other games run fine with Voodoo3 , DX8 etc !

To Rage , suggest you request a refund from that external testing company you used !!

#557158 - 05/05/01 09:53 PM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

... and of course buyers to do not learn this until after they have purchased the game, whose system requirements clearly state that it will work with 3dfx Voodoo3 cards.

#557159 - 05/05/01 09:53 PM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  
stephenwhite Offline
stephenwhite  Offline

Macclesfield, Cheshire, Englan...
I recently bought Tribes 2 - it states on the box that the minimum system requirement is a PII300 - I have a PII400. But guess what? The game is so slow it's unplayable. So what am I going to do? Am I going to sit on the Tribes 2 forum and whine on and on about how this game is crap and the publisher has commited fraud? No!

I'm going to save up and upgrade my processor because I know that a 400 just doesn't cut the mustard anymore - just like know 3Dfx doesn't cut the mustard anymore.

Saxon

#557160 - 05/05/01 09:57 PM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  
stephenwhite Offline
stephenwhite  Offline

Fishbed - it's up to you to make sure your PC hardware and drivers support the game. Did you ever check the 3Dfx site to see if the drivers were compliant? Did you know your card has problems with DirectX?

And my box doesn't mention compatibility with any of the mentioned 3Dfx cards.

Saxon

#557161 - 05/05/01 09:58 PM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  
Uroboros Offline
Uroboros  Offline

Brooklyn, NY
Speaking of which..I want to clarify something. For those who have the game, what are the video card requirements on the box? Does it mention Voodoo3 as supported?

#557162 - 05/05/01 09:59 PM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by stephenwhite:
I recently bought Tribes 2 - it states on the box that the minimum system requirement is a PII300 - I have a PII400. But guess what? The game is so slow it's unplayable. So what am I going to do? Am I going to sit on the Tribes 2 forum and whine on and on about how this game is crap and the publisher has commited fraud? No!

I'm going to save up and upgrade my processor because I know that a 400 just doesn't cut the mustard anymore - just like know 3Dfx doesn't cut the mustard anymore.

Saxon

ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS !!

so voodoo 3/5 is a shit card ?? NOT !!!

and the V5 don't run it either ,
AND ALL THE WEB SITES THAT PR'D typhoon USED v5 PICS ????

If you read these forums , various sims , you will find postS from 3d cards owners with gfx problems , drivers problems , sim instability etc etc

Voodoo - 3dfx owners , post and experience the least problems , becoz the 3dfx cards are so good fast and stable - something TYPHOON appears not to be for the majority !

man you might have once worked for D.I.D , but you are showing yourself up to be a total jerk off !

#557163 - 05/05/01 10:02 PM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ouroborous (sp) - no, nowhere on the box does the game claim to support any 3dfx product. *NOWHERE*.

The closest it comes is to state that it supports specifically *Creative Labs 3D Blaster Banshee*. That, last time I checked, is not a Voodoo 3 card.

------------------
Mike Rovardi
BAE Systems Warton
Please note opinions expressed in my posts are my own and not those of my employer

#557164 - 05/05/01 10:05 PM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  
stephenwhite Offline
stephenwhite  Offline

3DfxBoy - you're missing the point here. It doesn't matter how long the development process is or the testing period - problems with computer games and hardware drivers will always occur. And the fact that your other games work on your 3Dfx card means nothing. I think Steve Hunt has covered that.

All my games work with my TNT2 except for Shogun Total War which I love. But I realise it's a driver issue because this game works fine with older drivers (but other games do not).

But this is the way it's always been and it will never change. Do yourself a favour and get a more uptodate graphics card because it's going to get a lot worse for you 3dfx users.

Don't forget, I also have a 3dfx Voodoo2 card but I realised I needed to get a more modern card quite some time ago. Now I never use the 3Dfx because it's crap in comparison to my TNT2.

Saxon

#557165 - 05/05/01 10:09 PM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  
stephenwhite Offline
stephenwhite  Offline

3DfxBoy - I'm a jerk off? Hey, you're the one with the 3Dfx card mate. I'm having great fun with Typhoon. You obviously have some kind of perverse devotion to 3Dfx. Well good luck mate. I used to really like 3Dfx once but PCs constantly evolve and 3Dfx have been left in the dust.

Be a die hard for all I care. Anyone who calls himself 3DfxBoy must have a problem.

Steve White

#557166 - 05/05/01 10:10 PM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Folks, let's cool down a bit.

We have a problem with this game. We don't need more here on this forum.

What we do need are clearly written posts that are as specific as possible with the nature of the problem. Only in that way are we likely to get to the fix that we all so dearly want.

Andy

#557167 - 05/05/01 10:11 PM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  
Uroboros Offline
Uroboros  Offline

Brooklyn, NY
Andy states a couple of posts up that he ran the sim on a V5 without a problem.

And let's not let passions get in the way for a minute. As good as the Voodoo cards might be, at some point you're going to run into a game that won't work on them as long as the drivers at not updated. DirectX will move on to version 9, games will start to use specific DirectX8 calls and you'll still be stuck with old drivers. Is it the game company's fault if their lastest graphic heavy game suddenly doesn't work on your card? And this isn't meant to insult any Voodoo card owners.

Hopefully Rage can make a fix for this and hopefully I don't have any problems running the game on my Geforce2 GTS card. Knock on wood!

#557168 - 05/05/01 10:18 PM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  
Uroboros Offline
Uroboros  Offline

Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Magnet:
Ouroborous (sp) - no, nowhere on the box does the game claim to support any 3dfx product. *NOWHERE*.

The closest it comes is to state that it supports specifically *Creative Labs 3D Blaster Banshee*. That, last time I checked, is not a Voodoo 3 card.

Thanx Magnet. I guess Rage does not advertise that the game would work with older Voodoo cards.

And yes it should be "Ouroboros", but I found that the nick was already being used with my provider. It can also be spelled "Uroboros" though.

#557169 - 05/05/01 10:19 PM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Steve White , OK SORRY MAN , i withdraw the jerk off comment unreservedly - i got mad , prefer to be adult , so here goes

i have a 3dfx v1 card still in my house , had a v2 , got a v3 now , have sold my v3 3dfx , have a v5 3dfx in post to me now !

Now that aside , the 3dfx v5 card is a simmers card - i read up widely on it before deciding to grab it !

Now we dont all want gforces or nvidia etc etc , and i believe voodoo 5 should run typhoon , see my previous comment !

But c'mon man , even V5 owners here today are posting lock up problems , one guy has not even seen the 3d game engine run !!

As for a lover of 3dfx , hell im proud to be , i have a very large back collection of pc games - and i will always keep both a v1 and a v5 3dfx card in my hands to be able to replay my old classics - sensible i think !

#557170 - 05/05/01 10:27 PM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  
stephenwhite Offline
stephenwhite  Offline

3DfxBoy, I can understand that you're mad about Typhoon not working on your card. There's nothing worse than waiting for a game, buying it and then rushing home to find it won't work for some reason or another. We've all been there and doubtless it will happen again - perhaps with my TNT2 (eek!).

But be prepared that Typhoon might not work on your V5. Andy says it works fine but the box has no mention of any 3Dfx cards apart from the Banshee. I really hope it does work for you. But it is amazing how often it is that drivers are the problem - believe me, it does happen with my TNT2. In fact, I think NVidia drivers are the worst.

Steve White

#557171 - 05/05/01 10:43 PM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
There seem to be three main potential problem areas:

1. The type of card itself (3dfx).

2. Drivers.

3. Version of Dx (7 or 8).

Or combinations of these. Let's hope we can get to the bottom of this quickly.

Andy

#557172 - 05/05/01 11:27 PM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok I had read the readme that comes with the demo and to me these are the facts:
Problems with ATI cards, with 3dfx cards, with Nvidia, the game does not support these cards:
G100A Productiva
Permedia II
Stealth II G460
SIS 6326

Comeon!!!!!, wich card does this game has no problems with???

Tha fact that I dont understand is why the demo has no problems and now the game does???

For me I dont think it is a VidCard problem, it is the game.

#557173 - 05/05/01 11:36 PM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Hawk

I use a 3dfx V5 5500, an AWE64 sound card, Win98, and Dx7a.

I have no problems at all.

Andy

#557174 - 05/06/01 12:18 AM Re: WTF - 3dfx Voodoo 3 don't work ???  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Bush:
Hawk

I use a 3dfx V5 5500, an AWE64 sound card, Win98, and Dx7a.

I have no problems at all.

Andy

Andy ,
i have win98 ,
awe64 value sfx ,
dx8 , just downloaded dx8a - gonna try in a few mins ,
voodoo3 2000 pci
and i get lock ups after a few mins while flying !

ill report back on dx8a shortly !

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Incredible historical ironies
by PanzerMeyer. 04/03/24 01:56 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.