Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#556233 - 04/21/01 12:08 AM Re: Reliable opinion on Typhoon  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't fly with the handycam view. Cat and myself had this same conversation some time back when she did a preview for Typhoon.

I'm a sucker for buttons. I loved the various settings for the autopilot, the procedure to deliver LGB's etc. I'm currently having a blast with eFalcon 109 with the added panels, and nearly 28 steps before one can start taxying. That is my idea of fun. Managing the aircraft whilst maintaining situational awareness is a real challenge, and pays off after a succesfull mission.

I will be playing Typhoon for the campaign, which sounds quite good. Still the number one item on my wish list would be the ability to set bombing modes, so that I can rush up to a target at tree top height, get into a 20-30 degree climb, roll inverted, pull the nose to the ground, roll upright, line up with target and release two Mk 84's with a single pickle. Break away hard, hit the deck, chasing the ep. Currently, a single pickle will release a single weapon, and I hope this can be addressed in a patch later on.

Otherwise Typhoon may be a refreshing change, I'm looking forward to it.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#556234 - 04/21/01 12:43 AM Re: Reliable opinion on Typhoon  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just goes to show each to his own im a serious aviation enthusiast (why else would i hang about here?) but things like pre-flight checklists and miscellanious functions dont insterest me much. When i installed eF4 1.09 last week i looked at the new instruction panels and thought "nice panels" then went back to cockpit-less view and virtual cockpit.

#556235 - 04/21/01 10:10 PM Re: Reliable opinion on Typhoon  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Hotdog

I agree with your desire to fly a 'realistic' weapons delivery. I'd like to do it too.

But, the simple fact is that no sim is going to that degree in replicating the real world of A2G.

Not that it can't be done...the computations are not that difficult. But, it isn't going to happen...not in Typhoon or anything else.

My view is that only a very small number of simmers would be interested (or academically capable) of getting into advanced weapons delivery techniques. I don't mean that as being negative to anyone...but math is math...and if we have simmers in our group that have not gotten that far in school, then it is unrealistic to expect them to grasp the math concepts involved in these events.

Add to that the required precise navigation (and the fact that sims do not provide this) and we have a problem that we cannot duplicate in our sims.

My feeling still remains that if we cannot realistically expect simmers to be able to fly a real world maneuver, then we should not make such an event the benchmark of our 'want' list in a new sim or game.

Andy

#556236 - 04/22/01 02:53 AM Re: Reliable opinion on Typhoon  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, I played EF2000 before and the MFD overlay worked very well and didn't obstruct you.

Just curious to know will these two pretty features from EF2000 still be in Typhoon:

1. Exhausted gas effect

remember when you hit afterburner in EF2000 you really can feel the hot gas coming out from the nozzle? I admit that may be due to at that time the technology of alhpa-blending and translucent effect is not mature, but the exhaust gas was cool and realistic.

2. Pilot "eject to death"

When you fly close to the ground, invert your
multi-millions plane and eject, the pilot (you) will hit the ground directly. And you will hear him moan and a splash of blood seem when he hit the ground. (Don't believe me? Try load up your old EF2000 and try out!)

But I'm not very optimistic seeing these in Typhoon.

#556237 - 04/23/01 03:54 AM Re: Reliable opinion on Typhoon  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

To Andy Bush,

Does Typhoon have a similiar external switching padlock like Mig Alley. I love the foresaid feature because I feel it simulates the best SA for the limitations of the Monitor....Cheers.

Boxcar

#556238 - 04/23/01 04:31 AM Re: Reliable opinion on Typhoon  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Prince

You are right...I don't think you'll see this in the game!

Boxcar

Typhoon has three padlocks...target, threat, and wingman. Each has both an internal and external view. The external is a traditional 'player-to-target' view and is an excellent aid in three dimensional maneuvering.

The padlocks toggle between the internal and external perspectives. For example, press the F2 key once and you get the internal target padlock. Press it a second time and you get the external view.

Andy

[This message has been edited by Andy Bush (edited 04-22-2001).]

#556239 - 04/23/01 05:45 AM Re: Reliable opinion on Typhoon  
Uroboros Offline
Uroboros  Offline

Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by -Hotdog-:
I don't fly with the handycam view. Cat and myself had this same conversation some time back when she did a preview for Typhoon.

I'm a sucker for buttons. I loved the various settings for the autopilot, the procedure to deliver LGB's etc. I'm currently having a blast with eFalcon 109 with the added panels, and nearly 28 steps before one can start taxying. That is my idea of fun. Managing the aircraft whilst maintaining situational awareness is a real challenge, and pays off after a succesfull mission.

Damn..28 steps?! Sounds like fun..not!

Funny thing though, I'm sure that REAL pilots probably would love if their workload was reduced. I'm sure they didn't get into flying for the 28 steps required before taxing. Thankfully in the real world the trend it toward less button pushing I'm sure.

#556240 - 04/23/01 07:13 AM Re: Reliable opinion on Typhoon  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

;-)

I have been playing with EFalcon, but i always start on the runway or taxiway. Staying the hell away from the start up sequence. That looks scary.

Andy is right - even the smartest people don't want to be worrying about the academic calculations. I have an IQ of oh... someplace around 145, but never, ever, ask me to start working out maths. Cos i suck at maths. Badly. I am a math dunce. Stephen Hawking kicks sand in my face.

I think the benchmark for complexity should be where 109 is now... and no further should it go. Well not much further. Well not unless its for something cool.

The Typhoon is meant, after all, to be a far simpler bird to fly. The cockpit automation is far in advance of anything else currently in the sky.

That being said, I would like to see, at some time in the future, Typhoon developing to the same sort of standards of complexity that EF2000 displayed...

Gavin

#556241 - 04/25/01 08:16 AM Re: Reliable opinion on Typhoon  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

To Andy

O.K., Andy thanks. I sort of liked MA/BoB`s automatic feature.....but oh well I`ll settle...Cheers.

Boxcar

#556242 - 04/25/01 10:22 AM Re: Reliable opinion on Typhoon  
GrahamD Offline
GrahamD  Offline

Loughton, Essex, UK
Uroboros, what I was describing is what you see on the screen when you pan down in a virtual cockpit. This is my justification for using a HUD only view. I'm quite happy with Rage's approach personally. Actually, the real reason I prefer HUD only is that I think it gives the best sensation of flight, especially at low altitudes, and is the most enjoyable for me (which is what it's all about as far as I am concerned).

#556243 - 04/25/01 10:51 AM Re: Reliable opinion on Typhoon  
Uroboros Offline
Uroboros  Offline

Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by GrahamD:
Uroboros, what I was describing is what you see on the screen when you pan down in a virtual cockpit. This is my justification for using a HUD only view. I'm quite happy with Rage's approach personally. Actually, the real reason I prefer HUD only is that I think it gives the best sensation of flight, especially at low altitudes, and is the most enjoyable for me (which is what it's all about as far as I am concerned).

Ahh..I see what you are saying. Had to go back and look at what you said though.

But I have no problem with the HUD only view at all. I flew TAW that way a lot myself. Truth is Typhoon lends itself to flying that way all the time since the floating MFDs in Typhoon provide more info than they did in TAW. (one of the main reasons to panning down in TAW and look at the cockpit MFDs)

Now it is cool that DID still lets us pan the cockpit around though when it's on. It was always silky smooth panning around in TAW.

[This message has been edited by Uroboros (edited 04-25-2001).]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Incredible historical ironies
by PanzerMeyer. 04/03/24 01:56 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.