Rate This Thread
Hop To
#555482 - 01/18/01 10:13 PM Letter to Steve Hunt/Rage  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Steve Hunt,
On the question of source code for EF2000 and TAW.
1. Would it be possible to release the code publicly, or even for compensation, if there is a license agreement that any modifications and improvements would belong to Rage, and could be used by rage in a future release of a EF2000/TAW product.

2.Even though TAW is a long and complex code, you are probably underestimating the resources of the serious flight sim community. Case in point, Falcon4. If Microprose had such an agreement Falcon5 would be on the store shelf with next to nothing development cost by now.

3. Rage could set up a server/website to store and catalog all mods such as artwork, Realism Patches, etc... This would help Rage monitor and even help to administer/support the development efforts.

4. Would the flight sim community care if Rage makes a profit from the work. I personally would not, nor do I think the vast majority would. Face it, Rage produces sims for a profit. We are not licensed to be altering sims any way. As it is, because of the cost to have a paid staff develop TAW V2.0, or for that matter Falcon5, its not likely to happen, but under such an agreement it would be very likely that there would be a TAW V2.0 that would reset the military flight sim standards.

Any other thoughts from anyone?

[This message has been edited by Junglegeorge (edited January 18, 2001).]

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#555483 - 01/19/01 10:57 AM Re: Letter to Steve Hunt/Rage  
Uroboros Offline
Uroboros  Offline

Brooklyn, NY
I look at it this way..if Rage/DID ever decide to get out of the sim business altogether (I would hope this wouldn't happen; but too many sim makers have dropped out of the business); then I really do hope something like what you suggest happens. A tweaked version of TAW would be a great thing.

Also I have no problem with Rage/DID making a profit off this. If the modifications are such that they're worth some extra money; why not? Sims, let alone good ones, are becoming rather scarce.

On a similar note..hopefully Rage do decide to open up Typhoon to some users modification. Whether it's something as simple as allowing us to modify skins, to opening up the campaign system. The latter I know has been hinted at.

#555484 - 01/21/01 04:36 PM Re: Letter to Steve Hunt/Rage  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi i would just like to voice my support and feelings to this thread -

Re EF2000 - I want to get the 3dfx version of this up and running under my voodoo 3 card - i last played it on my voodoo2 card over 1 year ago !

Re Taw - as u know i like to fun mission build using AGE 214

I like to see Taw modded to allow all planes to be flyable stablely , maybe with cockpits , but i would like to see a proper ground war implemented , with ships as well .

I would like to see a landable upon aircraft carrier .

It would also be great to create new theatres of the world as well !

The terrain tiles in TAW vary from grass , to rocks , moutains , water etc , so a diverse set of earth exists !!

Its a shame the area modelled did not include say SAUDI , THE PERSIAN GULF , IRAN , IRAQ , ISRAEL - maybe that would be a starting point for a new theatre in the same way that new theatres are being modded and created by the net community for free for F4 !! ??

I would also like to see an ice / islands theatre for taw - say kurile or aleution islands , or falklands islands / argentina / antartic !!

Whatever happens count me in to help :-)

I am an Ex Argonaut Software & NTS / XXCAL employee and am not a stranger to NDA agreements .

Troff :-)

Troffmeister's Simulation Zone
http://www.daviesr.freeserve.co.uk

Roger " Troffmeister " Davies
Roger@Daviesr.freeserve.co.uk
Icq 58124596

#555485 - 02/02/01 06:16 PM Re: Letter to Steve Hunt/Rage  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Steve Hunt
Any news on the questions of source code and development ideals for EF2000 and TAW?
gwarren1@airmail.net
http://www.fightersim.com

REF:
Quote:
Originally posted by Junglegeorge:
Steve Hunt,
On the question of source code for EF2000 and TAW.
1. Would it be possible to release the code publicly, or even for compensation, if there is a license agreement that stated any modifications and improvements would belong to Rage, and could be used by rage in a future release of a EF2000/TAW product.

2.Even though TAW is a long and complex code, you are probably underestimating the resources of the serious flight sim community. Case in point, Falcon4. If Microprose had such an agreement Falcon5 would be on the store shelf with next to nothing development cost by now.

3. Rage could set up a server/website to store and catalog all mods such as artwork, Realism Patches, etc... This would help rage monitor and even help to administer/support the development efforts.

4. Would the flight sim community care if Rage makes a profit from the work. I personally would not, nor do I think the vast majority would. Face it, Rage produces sims for a profit. We are not licensed to be altering sims any way. As it is, because of the cost to have a paid staff develop TAW V2.0, or the matter Falcon5, its not likely to happen, but under such an agreement it would be very likely that there would be a TAW V2.0 that would reset the military flight sim standards.

[This message has been edited by Junglegeorge (edited February 02, 2001).]

#555486 - 02/04/01 12:53 AM Re: Letter to Steve Hunt/Rage  
Cat Offline
Egyptian Mau
Cat  Offline
Egyptian Mau
Hotshot

Somewhere....over the Rainbow
My guess is that Mr. Hunt and team can't put the code out there, it being protected by corporate copyrights. Renewed interest in Total Air War or EF-2000-ESPECIALLY EF-2000-might detract from Typhoon, in the eyes of the corporate suits. Thus, we are told "Can't do it. Too complicated," in the hope we won't go 'way mad. That's life in the big city.

Miao, Cat

Miao, Cat

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.