Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#555322 - 01/08/01 04:09 PM Hello from Rage.....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi guys,

I've been asked to drop by and help Andy and Badboy answer your more in-depth Typhoon questions....

Should be fun!

Steve

Rage Warrington

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#555323 - 01/08/01 04:36 PM Re: Hello from Rage.....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi there!

Q1 - Release date.
Q2 - How will the cockpit/instruments work with the MFDs gone?
Q3 - What is that Gripen doing on iceland? (found in a screen shot).
Q4 - (passing id at blazing speed...) How advanced is the pilot managment bit? Ie what do I have to do.
Q5 - Do the pilots have personal traits and how much will you be able to controll thier actions?
Q6 - Will pilots gain skill?

Will be back with more

------------------
J "jema" Malm
Contributing Editor SimHQ.com
jema@SimHQ.com

[This message has been edited by jema (edited January 08, 2001).]

#555324 - 01/08/01 05:02 PM Re: Hello from Rage.....  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Hi Steve

Welcome to SimHQ! Thanks very much for helping out here.

Hope to be talking to you soon!

Andy
alfakilo@doitnow.com

#555325 - 01/08/01 05:30 PM Re: Hello from Rage.....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Steve: "I've been asked to drop by and help Andy and Badboy answer your more in-depth Typhoon questions....

Should be fun!"

jema: "...Will be back with more".

There is a lot of interest in this sim...be prepared for a deluge Steve.

#555326 - 01/08/01 07:56 PM Re: Hello from Rage.....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I`ve got a few questions for Steve

1. Are there any naval strike missions in Typhoon i.e attacking / defending carrier battle groups.

2. What enemy and friendly aircraft are featured in the game, the ones i`ve seen in shots are.

Typhoon ,Rafaele, Harrier, Tornado, SR71 for Allies.

MIG 29, MIG 1-42, SU27M, S37 Berkut, Six Engined Antonov Cargo plane, Three engined stealth bomber, KA50 for Russians.

Are there any other notable additions to the list (like any american jets or older Russian jets like MIG 23/27 or SU24).

3.How realistic is the missile performance modelling. Personally this is more important than the stuff thats been left out like A2A refueling, ATC, clickable cockpit and stuff. If the planes and missiles behave something like their real life counterparts (or what we have been told they behave like) It`ll go much further towards the feeling of "Being there" than a clickable cockpit anyday.

5.Is damage to the campaign world persistent, if you blast an enem SAM site will it still be blasted next time you fly that way. Persistent damage like this really makes you feel like your actions have an affect on the game world.

4. Does it support Hardware T&L for us GeForce owners out there.

#555327 - 01/09/01 01:47 PM Re: Hello from Rage.....  
Hatch Offline
Hatch  Offline

Orlando, FL USA
Steve,
Looks like it's going to be a fun one. Like everyone else, I want to know when.

#555328 - 01/10/01 12:25 AM Re: Hello from Rage.....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great to see you here also Steven Hunt - I have been reading your posts on the EF2000 mailing list also.

Questions:

1 - Is there going to be a demo for Typhoon
2 - If there is going to be a demo for Typhoon then when? - before the release or after?
3 - How open are you going to make Typhoon? - im thinking of the posibility of community made addons.
4 - Will you make a seperate website for Typhoon when its launched other than the one you have on http://www.rage.com?
5 - I know there will be a strategy manual for Typhoon - will that come with Typhoon or will it be bought aside like the one for TAW.
6 - Im not sure if this is answered before but what sound systems does Typhoon support? - EAX?
7 - Has there been added or fixed anything to Typhoon after Infogrames ran away?

Thanks for answering in advance - Im looking forward to getting this simulation.

amp

#555329 - 01/10/01 06:51 AM Re: Hello from Rage.....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Unless there have been major changes since our conversations last spring, the campaign is an advanced version of WARGEN and should be beyond even that seen in Total Air War.

Here is a chart I made for the interview at the time..

#555330 - 01/10/01 06:56 AM Re: Hello from Rage.....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Those dying for the detail on the real McCoy should visit http://www.eurofighter.com

#555331 - 01/10/01 08:36 AM Re: Hello from Rage.....  
Lastchance Offline
Lastchance  Offline

Reseda,Calif,USA
This looks like fun!!!

------------------
Don't eat lunch pack a
chute!!

Don't eat lunch pack a
chute!!
#555332 - 01/10/01 09:32 AM Re: Hello from Rage.....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Im back

Since there is constant benchmarking in the world of computing could you put in a "time demo" in Thypoon? Would be nice to have one for sims.

#555333 - 01/10/01 10:39 AM Re: Hello from Rage.....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, here we go....

Jema,

Q1 - Release date: Hopefully end of Q1
Q2 - MFDs: Some of the cockpit instruments work, e.g. status lights, horizon ball. But the 3D MFDs are static - this is due to the expense of dynamic texture etc... If you look down you can see the pilots hands moving the stick and throttle though.
Q3 - Gripen on Iceland: It's there because we like it - we've taken some liberties with the plot!
Q4 - Pilot management: Mainly you have to keep them alive. You will be able to edit the missions and fly whichever pilot you want (or non if you want). You can transfer the pilots to different bases which has various different effects on the length, type and risk levels of the missions assigned to them.
Q5 - Pilot traits: Yes, each pilot has different skill levels, each pilot has a bias as to the sort of missions that will be assign to them. They also have different survival skill etc - these come in to play when they are waiting for rescue, or being interrogated etc...
Q6 - pilots gain skill: No, the pilots stats are not effect by time.

Joelhume,

1 - There will be naval missions, both offensive and defensive - there are will be no carriers in release version (but maybe something will come after - ho ho)
2 - There's loads of different types of planes in the game, most of the standard ones on your list. But there are quite a few extra aircraft not normally seen in flight sims that come in later on. Most are real aircraft with a few experimental ones - but I won't give the game away!
3 - Missile modeling is very similar to TAW and ADF. We've changed the types and updated the data for them.
4 - T&L is supported
5 - Damage to structures is slowly repaired over time, for example a hanger may take 5 hours to go from dead to operational. We did intended to have damage permanent, but the problem is that the campaign uses the damage to the buildings at each site to determine its level of operation, if things aren't repaired slowly the game could grind to a halt. The main thing is though that this takes place over a number of hours, you won't find a hanger intact when you only bombed it 10 minutes ago. Mobile SAMs move in the slowly replenish dead ones on both sides, but again in hours rather than minutes - same here also, of you don't replenish them (which is realistic anyway), all the SAMs are gone within the first few hours and things get boring.

Amp,

Q1 - I think we'll do a demo for Typhoon - not 100% on this though, and I'm not sure if it'll be a rolling one or not...
Q2 - If we do a demo it'll be around Feb.
Q3 - We are thinking of opening up the campaign so uses can define their our scenarios etc... not sure when this will happen yet.
Q4 - Yep, a Typhoon web site is under development.
Q5 - Yes, but no!
Q6 - Will have to ask the sound guy this one.
Q7 - Not really, except bug fixing

Hope this all helps,

Steve

#555334 - 01/10/01 11:06 AM Re: Hello from Rage.....  
GrahamD Offline
GrahamD  Offline

Loughton, Essex, UK
Steve, if you're still around, can you tell us what the terrain resolution is (i.e., metres per pixel) and how this compares with TAW. Do you use "noise" textures to give a greater sense of detail and speed at low altitudes? (probably not necessary if the resolution is high enough in the first place).

#555335 - 01/10/01 12:10 PM Re: Hello from Rage.....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm not sure I like the plot...

#555336 - 01/10/01 04:23 PM Re: Hello from Rage.....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks steve sounds really good. i`m still really looking forward to this one, hope to see more info soon.

#555337 - 01/10/01 04:31 PM Re: Hello from Rage.....  
Datajack Offline
Datajack  Offline

Pembroke Pines, FL, USA
Steve,

Q1. What are the chances of seeing coop campaign multiplay in the future? This feature is a MUST.

Q2. How many planes are flyable in the game?

Thanks,
Datajack

#555338 - 01/10/01 07:41 PM Re: Hello from Rage.....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Steve, it's great to have you here!

2 more questions:

1) In TAW I loved the possibility to fly AWACS missions, and using the little trick of setting up missions, take off and then exit the game I was able to launch user created multiple missions ( up to 7) and then once in the AWACS fly them (The whole process was invented by PARADOX and was called "The Paradox tactic"). Is it going to be possible then to set up and launch different flights from different airbases in Typhoon?

2) Are you planning to add an AWACS multiplayer option? Where a player can choose to fly the AWACS in the campaign?

I started my simulation experience with TFX (well actually with F117A Stealth Fighter, Microprose 1991) So I am really looking forward for TYPHOON.

Dot_25th

#555339 - 01/10/01 09:08 PM Re: Hello from Rage.....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Steve,

Q1: Is any form of ground war between the two forces simulated ?

Q2: How much of the "world" is present or is it just Iceland ?

Q3: Does the game work with DirectX 7.0a ?

Thanks,
Sean.

#555340 - 01/10/01 10:13 PM Re: Hello from Rage.....  
Uroboros Offline
Uroboros  Offline

Brooklyn, NY
I think I can answer some of those questions.

-Dot-

I believe you can only modify the mission that your 6 pilots are flying; if and when they are flying at the time. With no AWACS in the game the Paradox technique is not possible. Thankfully Steve has mentioned on the EF-2000 list that the campaign engine is not as daft as the one in TAW was. It will do a much better job of setting missions this time around.

Sean Tudor

Yes there is a ground war this time around. The front line will change throughout the campaign and tanks will capture bases by destroying any defending ground units. hardware at the base will be destroyed by the enemy and therefore effect the resources
of the campaign. This according to Steve's comments on the EF-2000 list.

I don't know if bases can be recaptured though; but it seems possible if the front line changes. Steve will have to give us more info on that one.

#555341 - 01/11/01 12:16 AM Re: Hello from Rage.....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, here's another begging letter for coop campaign...

Even if it's implemented the same way as the original EF2000 game where the client machines are just slaved to the server and all campaign functions are handled by the server with the clients in a "Waiting for Server" screen when not flying. Hell, even if you only allow one client - your wingman. Anything!

I really am not bothered by the lack of headcore elements, even the MFD's - though I would have prefered them to be active. But the ability to play in a team (even a team of 2) in campaign mode is one of the things that really sets (some) sims apart from and above a lot of other games of all types.

Please remember that it was the coop campaign that set EF2000 apart from the rest back in 96(?), it would be a shame to loost that descriminating factor today...

I also remember that the coop campaign functionality was added in the version 2 patches (2.01, 2.02 and 2.04 if I remember correctly), and wasn't in the original retail release in the UK, so I'm hoping!

Beg, beg, beg....

Mike.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Incredible historical ironies
by PanzerMeyer. 04/03/24 01:56 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.