Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#555442 - 02/11/01 01:08 PM Re: Hello from Rage.....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I'm a real F4 freak
I love the way it can be improved by the mod-makers
and I love the level of realism
and I myself am a bit envolved in terrainmaking for F4.

Nevertheless i will take Typhoon for what it is and I'll buy it as soon as it hits the shelves.
I trust DID to make good game
and I was totally hooked on EF2000 and ADF/TAW till Falcon4 came around
I still play those two titles ones in a while
for there good quality gameplay

I know Typhoon will not be an EF2000 succesor
in the real sense of the world
Yet considering the guys who made it (DID/Rage) I am 100% confident that it will be a good (if not the best) adition on my HD besides Falcon4

And for all I know from DID quality games, they dont need additions.........
although I would welcome any if released.

(I only have one wish...don't forget to put they DID label on the box......LOL)

Widowmaker aka Metalhead

[This message has been edited by Metalhead (edited February 11, 2001).]

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#555443 - 02/11/01 04:32 PM Re: Hello from Rage.....  
Uroboros Offline
Uroboros  Offline

Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by 186 Airbag:
I put my foot into this debate with some trepidation (for obvious reasons...) Maybe I am rehashing old ground aswell.
IMHO there are two issues
1. will I buy it?
2. Will I enjoy it/will it stay on the HD?
To most simmers the answer to 1 will of course be yes,for no other reason than its a flight sim (How many copies of underplayed games are there on your shelf? Lots I suspect...)
2. Is amore complex issue,but i suspect that the "mid-core" realism approach will be a turn off for most of the existing sim community
There`s no call for an "unrealism" patch for F4 nor will Flanker 2.5 by simplifying the FM etcetc...
Putting gameplay over realistic avionics,real world force levels etcetc will only pay off if they are able to attract a significant number of "non-simmers" to purchase the game,which they obviously feel they can.
Fair play to them,Software publishers exist to make money and the current state of the Hardcore Sim Market (particularly complex Jet Simms indicates how difficult that currently is.
However by targeting that segment of the market they are assuming that a significant portion of existing simmers-that`s us by the way :-) will purchase it anyway regardless,which to me smacks a little of arrogance...
Sales figures will show in the long run whether it was a succesful approach,but in terms of poularity you only haveto look at the number of posts on the forum for different sims:- Wheres USAF of FA compared to Flanker/F4/JF18?
Being english,when I first heard about Typhoon i was excited,hoping for an RAF plane in an F4 type package mixed with the hi-tech weaponry of JF18 & more...
The truth is dissapointing,will I buy? Yes even if only to read the manual,will it become a "legend" like F4 I doubt it but then only one of thos puts bread on the table for the developers....
Ho-hum

In the end the game will be judged on it's OWN merits. Will exsisting simmers buy it? Of course they will..if it's a good game. I don't think it's arrogrant of DID/Rage to believe that. So far the opinion of those who have it has been positive. Personally I think it can be a good game and a good sim WITHOUT being Falcon4, JF18, or Flanker2.0.

BTW..has Falcon 4 really obtained legend status? When did this happen? I must have missed the memo

[This message has been edited by Uroboros (edited February 11, 2001).]

#555444 - 02/12/01 09:46 AM Re: Hello from Rage.....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Troff,

Your questions have already been answered in one of my previous posts.
Further development of Typhoon will depend on sales (which is only sensible)... it's far to early at this point to decide what we will do. (We got plenty of ideas though)

Simple....

Cheers,

Steve

#555445 - 02/12/01 03:02 PM Re: Hello from Rage.....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Question, will I buy. Well like every thing in life, depends. If I could, I would purchase most all of the flights sims available, but my financial resources don't allow such. I have a priority list that is revised from time to time. I like the old prop sims. So, right now the top of the list is IL-Stormvick. I would guess this on on your list also!
Second is x-plane because I'm a avionics mechanic for an major airline, it's entertaining and educational (note the training department uses a more expensive version of this software at work, very real-life). Plus I like playing with all the bells and whistles
As far as typhoon is concerned it's 4 or maybe 5 on my list because of the above reasons.

But, IF YOU ARE NEW to flight sim, or are not into learning somewhat about real aircraft avionics/systems (high learning curve), as long as this products ships clean (few bugs) then I believe Typhoon will be a good entertainment purchase.

And Steve,
if it's passable, through in the Source Code of EF2000, or a recompiled version of EF2000 Graphics + that will run on a VooDoo5 and I'll definitely move Tyhoon up to no.2 spot (bribe ) on my list.
Sorry, about no.2 spot, I'm a WWII prop fan . As far as X-Plane, it could wait.
Have a good day and hope to see some good reviews on your work!

#555446 - 02/12/01 07:42 PM Re: Hello from Rage.....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Junglegeorge:
Question, will I buy. Well like every As

But, IF YOU ARE NEW to flight sim, or are not into learning somewhat about real aircraft avionics/systems (high learning curve), as long as this products ships clean (few bugs) then I believe Typhoon will be a good entertainment purchase.

[b]And Steve,

if it's passable, through in the Source Code of EF2000, or a recompiled version of EF2000 Graphics + that will run on a VooDoo5 and I'll definitely move Tyhoon up to no.2 spot (bribe ) on my list.
B]

a. Well DID considering there wont be many bugs and I'll be the first to buy it and to warn other people if it is on all forum
and for more I'm really into realism, hence Falcon4 is my top Sim.
Yet I just want too say Typhoon is number one on my wishlist because I have high anticipation for it's flightmodel and feel.
not for the MFD's and so on.

b. I myself would really welcome an upgraded
Ef2000
Idea make terrain smooth as with 3dfx
for direct 3d
incorparate the new flightmodel and releas it again (or better on the Typhoon disc)
STEVE HUNT really consider this......

Yet we are talking typhoon here.......
and I wish you good luck

#555447 - 02/12/01 09:00 PM Re: Hello from Rage.....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I must say that I'm looking foreward to Typhoon, but I do have some reservations:

1) The campaign dynamic- one thing that really annoyed be about TAW was that my side was absolutely piss poor without my constant intervention. The best feling from Falcon 4 is that you are a small but significant part of a larger war machine, rather than some superhero pilot. I hope that Rage have not overly emphasised the role of the player in what would after all be a large and extremely complex military campaign.

0) A release date. Wy have we herd absolutely nothing with respect to adverts, a web site etc? This does not bode well.

1) The focus on the "pilot experience". If I have to spend time instructing my squadron members when to eat, sleep, take a pee etc. I shall not be at all amused.

2) The weapons were not exactly top notch realistic in TAW. Can we please have HARM with a proper range, instead of 15nm?

3) Hopefully there will be variation of weapons effective range with altitude.

4) The lack of AWACS worries me slightly. What am I supposeed to do- fly slowly towards the enemy S-300 site at 30K feet lit up like an Christmas tree (electronically of course).

5) I feel that the way MFDs were done in TAW was perfect. Why do we need these sticky popup MFD things? If it works, fixing it mainly leads to more problems.

6) The Euofighter is an European aircraft, so this time can we not have USAF roundels on them?

Anyway, thre's my $0.02 worth. Hopefully Typhoon will be sufficiently realistic to be interesting, but will be fun to play as well. If it manages to blend the right aspects of F2, F4 and JFA-18 then it will surely be a wnner and will revitalise the jet sim market!

Cheers, Wulf.

[This message has been edited by Wulfrick (edited February 12, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Wulfrick (edited February 12, 2001).]

#555448 - 02/13/01 08:31 PM Re: Hello from Rage.....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

That always annoyed me too. Why did EF2000 V 2.0 have US insignia on the plane? That was just stupid. V 1.0 had British insignia; why change it? I still have V 2.0 on my hard drive, so if anyone knows of a hack to fix the emblems, I'd still love to hear it. That was my only gripe with EF2000 (well, that and the fact that it won't run accelerated on my Voodoo 3).

#555449 - 02/13/01 08:55 PM Re: Hello from Rage.....  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
RAF roundels...no USAF insignia.

Andy

#555450 - 02/13/01 11:31 PM Re: Hello from Rage.....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hiya.

I think the reason the V2 version had US roundels went as follows. The Germany EF2000 release had Iron Crosses on it. The French release, had, for some reason, French roundels. So, it followed that V2, the US release, should have US roundels.

No snickering in the cheap seats.

Of course i have seen complaints on this board at the poor American market having to settle for a "British" version of the game...
Gavin

#555451 - 02/14/01 08:03 PM Re: Hello from Rage.....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well that was still just plain stupid.

#555452 - 02/15/01 07:33 AM Re: Hello from Rage.....  
NipponDSM Offline
NipponDSM  Offline

VA
Well, I hadn't noticed until it was mentioned here. I bought the game when it first came out (v 2.0). It's currently on the hard drive and I've played it as recently as 3 days ago.

I don't see how this can hurt someone's game. It certainly didn't affect my gameplay once I found out.

Seems more of a nitpick!

------------------
Ron aka NipponDSM http://members.tripod.com/~WIGGLIT/EECH.html

Currently playing:
  • Arma 2 & 3
  • IL2 Sturmovik (BoK, BoB, & BoS)

Videos/Broadcasts
#555453 - 02/15/01 08:41 AM Re: Hello from Rage.....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maaaan, it drove me insane. No kidding, it irritated so much. It was just...WRONG!
I'm a geek, yeah i know.

Gavin

#555454 - 02/15/01 03:07 PM Re: Hello from Rage.....  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Gavin

Put away your pills and straight-jacket!! Typhoon's Eurofighter is RAF.

Andy

#555455 - 02/15/01 09:14 PM Re: Hello from Rage.....  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

;-)

Still, it was such an irritant that I went back to the original Tactcom. I still play SEF2k, a lot.

Love it.

Love them proper RAF roundels too.

Gavin

#555456 - 02/15/01 09:59 PM Re: Hello from Rage.....  
tony draper Offline
Hotshot
tony draper  Offline
Hotshot

newcastle/united kingdom
Well when the war in Iceland is half over perhaps we will see aircraft with American insignia come in to the conflict, he he he.

oh boy!your in trouble now draper.

[This message has been edited by tony draper (edited February 15, 2001).]

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Incredible historical ironies
by PanzerMeyer. 04/03/24 01:56 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.