Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#555285 - 01/04/01 08:21 AM Flying other planes in Typhoon  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looking at what Rage is modelling in the actual plane, they could obviously take advantage of this and feature different flyable aircraft. There is no interactive 3D cockpit, so it should be easy to create new aircraft models with static interiors, give the plane it's characteristic flightmodel, set the limits of the weapons carried and on which stations, and voilla, a new flyable plane.

But they probably have already taken advantage of this. I remember the Typhoon movie clip featured some sort of "Super Typhoon" which resembles the early Eurofighter and German JFX (?) concept fighters. I suppose these would be flyable as well.

Now if Rage would decide to make the Harriers and Tornado's flyable, this could attract some major attention. Even if they don't, I hope that the game architecture will allow for the addition of new planes, or the editing of existing features by mod makers, skin makers etc.

Andy, do you have any comments on this "other flyable plane" remark?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#555286 - 01/04/01 08:28 AM Re: Flying other planes in Typhoon  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

So that was what that camouflaged beast was?!

When you say non-interactive, do you just mean the MFDs don't work, or do the avionics not work at all Hotdog? How would you use the MFD's then?

Actually, flying other aircraft in the game would be good. But I thought the flight model was made so it flew like a Typhoon, so if they wanted to model other aircraft they would have to creat different flight models. (The Harrier would have to be able to take off vertical)

What do you think Andy? Have they already got it in there? Or do you think they'll give that option in a patch?

#555287 - 01/04/01 08:50 AM Re: Flying other planes in Typhoon  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

From what I know, the only "working" object in the 3D cockpit is the artificial horison. The MFD's in the cockpit is static pics, and the MFD's are displayed as pop-up overlay windows at the bottom left and right of the screen. So the 3D cockpit itself is only there for orientation and eye-candy in the end, so it should be easy to make a nice 3D interior for a Tornado within the Tornado model. Each and every plane, flyable or non-flyable, should alreay have their own flight models. As AI FM's are usually a bit off for the sake of gameplay, it would be nice to be able to edit these, much like the guys are doing to some of the lousy USAF flight models.

#555288 - 01/04/01 01:10 PM Re: Flying other planes in Typhoon  
Kevler Offline
Kevler  Offline

UAE
take a look at this old screenshot, it seems that there may be other flyable aircrafts, may be in multi-player or somethin'. any Idea who are those guys (Nick, Steve etc..)

#555289 - 01/04/01 01:44 PM Re: Flying other planes in Typhoon  
Uroboros Offline
Uroboros  Offline

Brooklyn, NY
Steve is probably Steve Hunt..the rest might be Rage employees as well.

After seeing that screen shot the question was asked on the EF2000 list

"Does this mean we can fly other planes in multiplayer?"

The answer was given as

"Maybe..."

Which probably means "Yes..but we can't say more"

Of course we've all seen the screen shot now..so there's no going back.

#555290 - 01/04/01 04:06 PM Re: Flying other planes in Typhoon  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Interesting that it's called the "Su-27M" and not "Su-35." Harrier, eh? Well, we can dream!
The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#555291 - 01/04/01 06:46 PM Re: Flying other planes in Typhoon  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Man, I'd love a Gripen! (and I'm sure everyone else would too!)

#555292 - 01/04/01 08:51 PM Re: Flying other planes in Typhoon  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sure would be nice with a JAS but what the f is it doing on iceland?!

#555293 - 01/04/01 11:54 PM Re: Flying other planes in Typhoon  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Perhaps a Swede with bad nav skills?
The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#555294 - 01/05/01 03:33 AM Re: Flying other planes in Typhoon  
Badboy Offline
Badboy  Offline

UK
Quote:
Originally posted by -Hotdog-:
Andy, do you have any comments on this "other flyable plane" remark?

I don’t think there is a way to fly other aircraft in Typhoon. I may be wrong, but if a way exists, I haven’t been able to find it. One possibility is that there may be some features in the multiplayer set up that I haven’t discovered because I haven’t had an opportunity to check it with Andy yet.

------------------
Leon "Badboy" Smith

#555295 - 01/05/01 06:55 AM Re: Flying other planes in Typhoon  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hotdog,

Where did you get the fact that the MFDs are static? Was it in the video, or from Rage.
I do hope you're wrong, because static MFDs would not be a step forwards...

#555296 - 01/05/01 12:07 PM Re: Flying other planes in Typhoon  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by EF2000 crazy:
Hotdog,

Where did you get the fact that the MFDs are static? Was it in the video, or from Rage.
I do hope you're wrong, because static MFDs would not be a step forwards...

This was a major discussion at one stage, one of the major gripes people (including myself) have regarding Typhoon. It is a step backwards indeed, IMO, but Rage feels that they're shifting the focus of the game, and Typhoon shouldn't be seen as a sequel, but more of a new product. I'll take their word for it, but I can't hide the fact that I'm still disappointed about some of their design decisions. MFD pages will be manipulated from the keyboard.

One thing I think should be added in a patch, if at all possible, is release modes for weapons. I strongly feel that it is not a gameplay compromise, but more of an oversight.

Otherwise Typhoon should be a entertaining break from the hard-core stuff, I'm definately picking this one up.

#555297 - 01/11/01 10:41 PM Re: Flying other planes in Typhoon  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by jedimaster:
Perhaps a Swede with bad nav skills?
The Jedi Master

Or maybe a South-African, but that would be a little on the extreme...

------------------
Lead-Head's Simulation Site:
http://fly.to/lead-head

#555298 - 01/11/01 11:11 PM Re: Flying other planes in Typhoon  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Badboy:
I don’t think there is a way to fly other aircraft in Typhoon. I may be wrong, but if a way exists, I haven’t been able to find it. One possibility is that there may be some features in the multiplayer set up that I haven’t discovered because I haven’t had an opportunity to check it with Andy yet.

Well, what we have here is in fact showing Steve flying multiplayer against his colleagues in an Su-27M. That is, a plane other than the Typhoon.

As for Steve's cryptic responses, basically saying "maybe", I have two theories.

1) There are other planes normally flyable in multiplayer, he just can't tell us.
2) There is a way of flying those planes for testing purposes by perhaps, activating some development mode by a command line switch or something. - This could explain why BadBoy hasn't found this feature.

There is little question if Steve can fly the other planes, unless the picture is some kind of sick joke (like naming AI pilots after team members), it's obvious that he can.
The question is if we too can fly them...

Regarding those other people in who's names are at the aircraft symbols, I looked up the credits section in my TAW manual and found the following matches.
"Dave" - There was a Dave Armsby and a Dave Moore in QA and a Dave Putz (ret. USMC) in the manual team.

The rest are totally incognito though...

------------------
Lead-Head's Simulation Site:
http://fly.to/lead-head

#555299 - 01/12/01 09:29 AM Re: Flying other planes in Typhoon  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Warmer!

The answer is staring you in the face!

Wrong about the guys on the credits though.

Cheers,

Steve

#555300 - 01/12/01 10:36 AM Re: Flying other planes in Typhoon  
VolkerB Offline
VolkerB  Offline

Ilvesheim, Germany
Arrgh, Steve, you're a cruel guy. Please stop teasing us....

#555301 - 01/12/01 11:15 AM Re: Flying other planes in Typhoon  
GrahamD Offline
GrahamD  Offline

Loughton, Essex, UK
My guess would be entering a coded pilot name to enable a "select plane" option. The question is, if other planes are flyable, to what extent are they modelled? I'd love to think that there was a flight model for the Harrier, but doubt it (why waste development time). It would certainly be nice if this aspect of the game was opened up to third party developers, its this sort of thing that gives games longevity, and in some cases seems to make them immortal.

#555302 - 01/12/01 10:33 PM Re: Flying other planes in Typhoon  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

It also makes them sell more copies.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.