Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#555212 - 12/30/00 08:57 PM Andy, what do you like so far?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am a jet jock by heart and love the avionics in jet sims. I have been eager to get my hands on Typhoon because it is the only jet sim that I see in the forseeable future. What I am concerned about is how the avionics have been drastically simplified.

The campaign and the control of the pilots in a very cool thing, but what about the flying experience? There is no ripple mode, no lasing of targets, and I suppose there are not any multiple modes of AA radar and AG radar.

How does it play for being a more mainstream sim?

Thanks

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#555213 - 12/31/00 03:30 AM Re: Andy, what do you like so far?  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
Overkill

Many people have already said it better than I. Every sim is a tradeoff in what features it provides the player. Some go for high fidelity avionics simulation (Janes F-15, for example). Others go for simplified action...Janes USAF comes to mind. Some try to do everything and have their share of problems in doing so...Falcon4 is maybe the best example.

Typhoon is accentuating the 'big picture' view of the air combat scenario. While you can fly your specific mission and have a great time at it...you will also have to make sure your other pilots can do the same. Otherwise you lose! It's just that simple! Typhoon's scope is so much broader than other sims. But...in order to achieve this 'big picture', some tradeoffs had to be made. For most of us, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Andy

#555214 - 12/31/00 04:57 AM Re: Andy, what do you like so far?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

So, it really isn't a flight sim so to speak? I don't mean that in any sort of negative manner. It seems to be a "Typhoon Command and Conquer sim" meaning that you are in charge of a battle and your main weapon is the Typhoon. Is that more of what this is? If I can change my thinking I think I can get into this.

#555215 - 12/31/00 12:48 PM Re: Andy, what do you like so far?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Seems like a promising concept, and maybe a bit like MiG Alley, where we could play as a squadron commander?

#555216 - 12/31/00 06:56 PM Re: Andy, what do you like so far?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Autoloader,

Yes, it has a squadron commander kinda feel but Mig Alley had the realism to go along with it. But I suppose, no, I know that realistic jet sims are much more difficult to code because of all the avionics. This is where it seems Typhoon took some liberties.

#555217 - 01/01/01 11:43 PM Re: Andy, what do you like so far?  
Badboy Offline
Badboy  Offline

UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Overkill:
So, it really isn't a flight sim so to speak?

Nope, it is a flight sim, C&C is way off base. The best analogy I could give you would be that old AV8B sim, remember that?

Leon "Badboy" Smith

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.