Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#50237 - 01/05/06 11:16 PM Dynamic campains  
fearlesslds Offline
fearlesslds  Offline

fayetteville
If the developers have the time,energy and money it is fine. But feel MP is what most people are interested in .(And don't think it cost as much but may be wrong there.) Esp if you are trying to bring younger people into the hobby. Have one brother that liked Campain in
RB and also MP but the other 3 of us were MP only. Like the human rec when I get a kill from a human player . Don' want to get HAL mad . If both can be done great but don't want to bogg down this project before it can get out of the gate.There are no tank sims out as of late and I'm a Tank nut . WW2 only.

scott hill
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#50238 - 01/06/06 04:12 AM Re: Dynamic campains  
akdavis Offline
akdavis  Offline

Fort Worth, Texas
Who the hell is this addressed to?

--AKD

"I hope and I need." -Oleg Maddox
#50239 - 01/06/06 07:03 AM Re: Dynamic campains  
Wilko Offline
Wilko  Offline

Australia
Well I for one are only interested in SP so a dynamic campaign is important to me and the MP part can come later... SO THERE

LOL... seriously, I know poeple enjoy MP but please don't go dissing the SP part just cause you feel it is unimportant to you, different strokes for different folks cool

AK, I presume he is talking about this new sim being developed and directing his comments to the devs smile

You take it easy.. And have a nice day smile

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body
but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting "Holy sh!t...What a Ride!!"
#50240 - 01/06/06 12:16 PM Re: Dynamic campains  
Hengist Offline
Hengist  Offline

Balsa Munitions R&D Institutio...
Yup singleplayer is the most important aspect for me also. Multiplayer is something that should be attached at the end, if the developers have the time (unless the title is specifically developed as a mutliplayer title, like BF2 or Guild Wars, etc).

I feel that far too many developers, these days, use multiplayer as a cheap excuse for not designing an immersive, entertaining amount of single player content. This, unfortunately, is a trend that we see more and more with the release of new titles.

Often it's a very short singleplayer campaign, with a handful of missions that you can complete in 10 hours. When people complain that the game was too short, there's always someone around who will say, "Hey, now it's time to try multiplay". Loads of hours of gameplay... hmmm?

Give me a good singleplayer experience anyday over multiplay content. I enjoy multiplay, but not as much as I enjoy the singleplayer experience.

Hengist.
#50241 - 01/06/06 04:58 PM Re: Dynamic campains  
fearlesslds Offline
fearlesslds  Offline

fayetteville
In the perfect world would be nice to have both . And not dissing anyone cause as I said my brother likes SP . But with limited resources in an area that doesn't get much attention (WW2 armor) a bird in the hand ... . Can't bog down a project with so many requests that it never gets made . Better to have the MP than nothing at all.

scott hill
#50242 - 01/06/06 05:02 PM Re: Dynamic campains  
fearlesslds Offline
fearlesslds  Offline

fayetteville
This was supposed to be a reply not a new topic that's why it seems out of place.

scott hill
#50243 - 01/06/06 07:47 PM Re: Dynamic campains  
Python.au Offline
Python.au  Offline

Australia
I have sent to Rainer and he has forwarded it to the developers of the upcoming tank sim, a concept that allows for both singleplayer and multiplayer online dynamic campaigns. Also the concept allows for both singleplayer and multiplayer randomly generated missions. Plus, historic battles.

But it has a big problem, the need for either an extremely large battlefield or theatre of war, ie one enormous continuous combat area. This is clearly technically possible, because WWIIOL has it, and has had it for a few years now. If the developers are willing and able to create such a battlefield and incorporate my dynamic campaign concept, all your dreams will come true.

Python.au

#50244 - 01/07/06 02:35 AM Re: Dynamic campains  
fearlesslds Offline
fearlesslds  Offline

fayetteville
Would be nice . But might need to start small and work our way up . Otherwise it again gets bogged down.

scott hill
#50246 - 01/07/06 09:11 PM Re: Dynamic campains  
Python.au Offline
Python.au  Offline

Australia
Devil M,

I am not going to give details of my dynamic campaign concept. But I believe that it address many of your concerns regarding previous efforts in this area.

Every 'dynamic' wargame I've seen in particular had severe limitations and especially in the attack phase, typically giving an absurd advantage in numbers to the attacker to provide any sort of challenge.
You realise that historically, the majority of commanders would wait till they had numerical superiority before attacking. They did this because the attacker can generally expect greater losses than the defender.

Tanks and armored vehicles would behave like pillboxes, they would meander about aimlessly, bottleneck in terrain features, get caught in endless decision loops, or they would send themselves into the attack piecemeal and get slaughtered in killsacks, incapable of extracting themselves and reversing the situation.
Most of what you say above seems to me to be related to the AI programming of the units. I think that my concept will help units with their decisions, at least regarding where to move. The rest is up to the AI programmers.

Moreover, all missions would have a canned, generic feel that didn't really capture the tension and feel of a dynamic atmosphere-'dynamic campaign' is always a bit of a misnomer; a computer can only behave in the manner it has been programmed to behave. Think of the impossible difficulty for a programmer to conceive in advance a complex and doctrinally sound jack of all trades strategy for every occasion in any terrain against a human player who can think and react in real time.
I think that my concept will overcome most, if not all of the difficulties you have outlined above.

I can't give details, as I don't want to lose my intellectual property. Because if it is as good as I think it is, it is very valuable.

Python.au

#50247 - 01/07/06 10:14 PM Re: Dynamic campains  
fearlesslds Offline
fearlesslds  Offline

fayetteville
Yes if it can overcome what Devil M said you may have something .

It's best to have the numbers advantage but humans don't always think that way.

Germans at Battle of Kursk

Gen Lee at Gettysburg and just about the whole war

Destroyers at Phillipines attacking the Japanese fleet.

This all again goes back to human element which I mentioned before and Devil M explained so well .

Hope it works for you. I just prefer MP myself.
Like the Germans said during WW2 . "It's impossible to attack the americans by knowing their docturine cause they don't follow their own doctrine.
That helps to win battles if your enemy can't predict what you will do . And what is more unpredictable than the human mind. Moods etc.
"Rommel you SOB I read your book." Gen Patton.

scott hill
#50249 - 01/08/06 12:45 AM Re: Dynamic campains  
Lemon Offline
Lemon  Offline

Operation Flashpoint 2 will have a Dynamic Campaign (with a narrative spliced in.) From the previews Bohemia seems to be making good use of the system to generate interesting situations. Ambushes... patrols whatnot.

#50251 - 01/08/06 09:15 AM Re: Dynamic campains  
Python.au Offline
Python.au  Offline

Australia
Demon M,

This is a general principle of blitzkreig
You mentioned Blitzkreig, and you made a terrible mistake, as you have overlooked the very first planned action of a blitzkreig battle. The use of an overwhelmingly superior force, at the point of an attack. Bigger force attacking little force.

The defender may overall have superior numbers, but generally does not know where the enemy intends to attack their lines. Think Ardennes 1940. Therefore they spread their forces thinly. So the superior force penetrates the enemy's lines by defeating an inferior force. Then other tactics mentioned in your paragraph come into play, such as spreading panic, breaking lines of communication, etc.

OOPS!

it doesn't win because of its military strategy per se, which usually just feeds an endless stream of attacking units into the player- until the player can no longer sustain his own production and he cannot kill more than the computer can create.
How do you think WWII was won? Overall it was a numbers game, the Allies outnumbered and outproduced the Axis. There are very few cases in WWII where the Allies won on strategy alone. Mostly it was weight of numbers.

Clearly the AI needed to run units in a battle is very complex. But my concept will help in many ways. Again I can't elaborate, but I am sure my concept will greatly assist in overcoming many of the problems encountered in creating a dynamic campaign.

Python.au

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.