Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#49532 - 12/28/04 03:48 PM Question to Xambrium about "Operation Tiger Hunt"  
Drawde Offline
Drawde  Offline

Cookham,Berkshire,UK
Do you still have the tank game "Operation Tiger Hunt"?
If so, I have a couple of questions about modding for this game.
I've recently purchased the online-downloadable version from www.fusiongames.com and am
having great fun playing it, but want to ask your advice about modding and mission
customisation.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#49533 - 12/28/04 10:18 PM Re: Question to Xambrium about "Operation Tiger Hunt"  
Kraut Offline
Kraut  Offline

Kit. Ont. Canada
We just DLd it & what a neat little surprise. Will play some more & 'test' it out. Thanks for the site!
FWIW,
Good Hunting!

#49534 - 12/29/04 02:52 PM Re: Question to Xambrium about "Operation Tiger Hunt"  
Drawde Offline
Drawde  Offline

Cookham,Berkshire,UK
The reason I wanted to talk to Xambrium, is that he has the European shop-bought
version on a CD, which has non-compressed data files (missions, skins etc).

The online downloaded version (demo or full) has compressed data to save space, which means
it cannot be manually edited.

I've succeeded in de-compressing the vehicle skin .TGAs (I'll post them for download later if anyone is interested) by using the program "ImageMagick Display" (can't remember the exact URL, search for it on Google), and have confirmed that modified skins work in the game (by replacing the P-47 insignia with smileys :p )

However, for mission editing (all of the mission files are in .txt format) I would need Xambrium, or anyone else
with the shop-purchased version of OTH, to post or e-mail the uncompressed files for download.

This should not cause any legality problems relating to being able to play all the missions with the demo version - from my experience, the demo version will refuse to run if the demo mission files are the wrong size (presumably to prevent this)

#49535 - 12/29/04 06:58 PM Re: Question to Xambrium about "Operation Tiger Hunt"  
Drawde Offline
Drawde  Offline

Cookham,Berkshire,UK
Just made a VERY interesting discovery -
In the directory "miscelanea" there are various files with the extension ".xcf" - these
are uncompressed text files containing all the data for the various vehicles and objects
in the game.
All the comments are in Spanish but (with some help from Babelfish) I should eventually be able to work out which
values are which!

Needless to say I've already got started on creating a basic "realism mod" with things like
slower turret rotation and gun reload speed, more accurate vehicle speeds and armour data, etc.!
Will let you know when I've made more progress.

#49536 - 12/30/04 03:49 AM Re: Question to Xambrium about "Operation Tiger Hunt"  
Porkchop Offline
Porkchop  Offline

Parma, OH, USA
Very interesting. I like this new trend in "smartening up", "dumbed down" arcade titles. People were trying to do the same with a recent WWI flight game. Good luck, hope it pays off.

I love it when a plan comes together. ~ H. Smith "The A-Team".
#49537 - 12/30/04 01:00 PM Re: Question to Xambrium about "Operation Tiger Hunt"  
Drawde Offline
Drawde  Offline

Cookham,Berkshire,UK
So far I've succeeded in making a number of small tweaks which significantly increase realism -
mainly reduced turret rotation speed, and increased main gun reload time. I've also given the AI
tanks the same reload time as the player (originally, it was higher, giving the player an artificial advantage)
and will adjust the turret rotation speeds for each tank so that the Tiger's turret is slower than the Sherman's, for example.

I'll also look at the vehicle armour and shell armour penetration values. Surprisingly, the game actually does have quite
accurate armour thickness values for each vehicle, but possibly the weapon values need changing.

The trend for smartening-up dumbed-down titles isn't too surprising considering the lack of decent sims at the minute, (particularly with WW1 and tank sims!)

One advantage Tiger Hunt has over Wings of War realism-wise (IMHO) is that the actual missions in the game are quite realistic in feel. Even if you are sometimes facing unrealistic odds, the actual combat feels quite convincing.
Whilst WoW is currently quite good from a MP gaming perspective, and the "instant action" SP missions are fun, in the single-player campaign game, however much you improve the FMs and repaint the aircraft and terrain, the missions still
have ridiculous odds and silly storyline objectives.

Anyway; if there is ANYONE out there who has the off-the-shelf CD version of "Operation Tiger Hunt", I'd really appreciate their help!

#49538 - 12/30/04 06:07 PM Re: Question to Xambrium about "Operation Tiger Hunt"  
WEASEL DRIVING HILLBILLY Offline
WEASEL DRIVING HILLBILLY  Offline

JACKSONVILLE,TEXAS
Glad to hear that you are working to make this game more realistic. It's not a bad little game as it is (off the shelf) IMHO; one thing though, mine is simply called "Tiger Hunt", by infogrames. Same game? If so, I have the CD and if I can be of any help, let me know. Regards, H.

"It comes when your always afraid...step out of line!They'll com'in to take you away!It's time we STOP...."Revised by OZZY's Undercover album Orgin by Buffalo Springfield song "For what it's worth.."
#49539 - 12/30/04 06:31 PM Re: Question to Xambrium about "Operation Tiger Hunt"  
Drawde Offline
Drawde  Offline

Cookham,Berkshire,UK
What I'm mainly interested in is the mission .txt and .dat files, these
are in the DATA subdirectory of the game directory. With the online purchased version I have,
most of these files are compressed and unreadable. There are two files for each mission, one
with just the mission name (e.g mission1.txt) and the other with "-mission" after it (e.g mission1-mission.txt)

The first file contains basic data such as weather and player ammo loadout, and is uncompressed. The second one (presumably) contains the actual mission data, such as vehicle types and placement. This file is compressed with my version.

I believe the .dat files contain information for buildings, trees etc; not sure if these are uncompressed in the CD version, or if they are just binary files.

I'd be interested to know whether the mission .txt files for your version are compressed or not.

#49540 - 12/30/04 10:13 PM Re: Question to Xambrium about "Operation Tiger Hunt"  

JACKSONVILLE,TEXAS
OK, First understand that I have never dabled in modding games. I have used plenty of mods made by others including yourself. By-the-way, what happened to Soldiers-Heroes of WWII? You give up on it? I thought/think the game has potential, but I got tired of the micromanaging. Anyway, I looked in the data folder and found 182 files. Each mission seems to have 3 files: a mission text, a mission-mission text, and a mission DAT. I can open the text files, but apparently I don't have a program that can open the DAT files. Do you have any suggestions? Happy to help out . . . H.

"It comes when your always afraid...step out of line!They'll com'in to take you away!It's time we STOP...."Revised by OZZY's Undercover album Orgin by Buffalo Springfield song "For what it's worth.."
#49541 - 12/31/04 02:50 PM Re: Question to Xambrium about "Operation Tiger Hunt"  
Drawde Offline
Drawde  Offline

Cookham,Berkshire,UK
It's the .txt files I'm mainly interested in. Can you open all of them, or are some of them binary gibberish?
I found that the ones with -mission after their name (e.g level04-mission.txt) were like this, and unreadable.
If all your .txt files are readable, would you mind zipping them up and either posting them for download and e-mailing
them? I'll then try out some modifications to see if it is possible to edit the missions.

As for my Soldiers:Heroes of WW2 mod, it's just that I have so many games and modding projects to work on at the minute, it's hard to find the time to finish them all; I'll hopefully try and finish it soon though.

#49542 - 12/31/04 04:11 PM Re: Question to Xambrium about "Operation Tiger Hunt"  

JACKSONVILLE,TEXAS
Looks like they are all readable. I copied them to an external folder which I will email to you ASAP, if that's OK . . . H.

Need your address, however . . .

#49543 - 12/31/04 07:40 PM Re: Question to Xambrium about "Operation Tiger Hunt"  
Drawde Offline
Drawde  Offline

Cookham,Berkshire,UK
Address is edward@pinniger.fsworld.co.uk. I'll look at those files as soon as I get the chance
(don't have any more time today)

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.