Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#467666 - 07/23/03 10:41 AM Yet more info on my WW2 game - also, anyone interested in a tech demo?  
Drawde Offline
Drawde  Offline

Cookham,Berkshire,UK
(for anyone who didn't see it, the older post on my game is here - http://oldsite.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=40;t=006248 )
In the last few weeks I've been implementing a number of new features into my game, one of which is that airfields (and
military bases/barracks, when I add them in the future) can now have aircraft/vehicles assigned to them individually.
Eventually I will try and assign all aircraft types to the same airfields that historically used them.
I've managed to find enough reference material to get started on adding airfields, military bases, radar stations etc.,
and so far have added most major airfields in the UK and northern France. I still need info for the rest of Europe including
Germany and the USSR, but have at least made a start!
I've also greatly improved the damage modelling system. Previously, the game simply used a combination of armour thickness
and hitpoints. When a projectile hit a vehicle, the damage inflicted was calculated from the weapon's armour penetration and the
target's armour thickness; weapons with an armour penetration much lower than the thickness would inflict negligible damage or none
at all. I've retained this model, but have also added "critical systems" to each vehicle. These are the engine, fuel, crew, weapon
and control/drive system (wheels/tracks/suspension on vehicles, control surfaces on aircraft). Each system has its own hitpoint level
and armour thickness. Some systems (weapons, suspension) are considered to be outside the main structure and vulnerable to damage from
weapons that can't penetrate the main armour (though as I said they have their own armour thickness), others (engine, fuel, crew) are inside
the main armour. With AFVs, the main hull armour is the most important thing, but with aircraft, the main structure has no armour (except in some
cases such as the Il-2 and Hs129) so the protection (if any) for the crew, fuel tanks etc. is the most important thing.
Whilst I haven't fine-tuned this system enough for it to work 100% correctly yet, this should result in much more realistic combat, with vehicles
likely to be knocked out by engine damage, ammo detonation, etc. or immobilised/incapacitated by suspension or gun damage, rather than just being blown to bits by "hitpoint loss"
(it was very rare for this to happen as far as I know, except with very light vehicles) Whilst aircraft may be destroyed by hitpoint loss (i.e having a wing or the tail section shot off)
but can just as likely be shot down by the fuel tanks igniting or damaged control surfaces making them unflyable.
I also plan to add the ability to capture and repair AFVs that have been knocked out but not destroyed, and the ability for crews to bail out
of vehicles and aircraft.

Another thing I'm currently working on is re-doing all the camouflage textures for both aircraft and vehicles, to represent
all the major colour schemes used by each country. The current camo textures are rather crude and inaccurate.
Vehicle-wise, I've recently added some Polish AFVs - three tankette types (TK, TKS and TK3) and the 7TP medium tank.
Ones I'll create in the near future are the RAF Wellington bomber (already started this), Polish 7TP-dw MG-armed tank, German Pz. III and IV (all
major versions) and MGs, AT guns, howitzers etc. both for stationary emplacements and towable field guns. (also I need to add
some "prime movers", so far I've only created the Bedford and Matador British trucks and have not textured them yet).

My game was originally more of a Battlezone-type RTS with WW2 units, but in the last couple of months I've been rewriting
the strategy system and world generation to make it much more detailed, realistic and sim-like.
I originally started work on the game about a year and a half ago, late 2001, stopped work on it for a while then last autumn
I rewrote the game and redesigned most of the 3D models from scratch. Apart from the 3D engine and some of the textures and graphics,
it's basically a totally new game.

Anyway, about the tech demo; if anyone is interested, I'll upload the game in its current state to my web page for people to download.
It is very incomplete and "glitchy" but should give people an idea of what the game will be like. (First however I need to create a basic
readme with a list of control keys)
It's about 3.6MB zipped. Anyone interested in trying it out?

Another thing I've asked before; are there any other sim-related forums (not just SimHQ) that might be a good place to post information about
my game on?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#467667 - 07/23/03 12:56 PM Re: Yet more info on my WW2 game - also, anyone interested in a tech demo?  
the soupdragon Offline
Sexy Beast
the soupdragon  Offline
Sexy Beast
Hotshot

Cardiff South Wales UK
I'll take a copy mate.
send it to
the_soupdragon@btinternet.com

Cheers

SD

From the hills rebounding
Let this war cry sounding
Summon all at Cambria's call
The mighty force surrounding

Men of Harlech onto glory
This shall ever be your story
Keep these fighting words before ye
Welshmen never yield
#467668 - 07/23/03 01:31 PM Re: Yet more info on my WW2 game - also, anyone interested in a tech demo?  
BennyTJorgensen Offline
BennyTJorgensen  Offline

Copenhagen, Denmark
Hi'
It sounds interesting, so many Sim's so little time ;\) Catch you later \:D
Happy landings
Benny

#467669 - 07/23/03 02:34 PM Re: Yet more info on my WW2 game - also, anyone interested in a tech demo?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I´m interested to.

About others sites i know others but they are Flight sims, this one have FS, CFS, RTS, etc.

#467670 - 07/23/03 03:03 PM Re: Yet more info on my WW2 game - also, anyone interested in a tech demo?  
Madaboutsims Offline
old time
Madaboutsims  Offline
old time
Hotshot

UK
S!
i can remember this! \:\)

love to give it a look, i can also offer anyhelp i can give on 3d models and textures?

#467671 - 07/23/03 08:20 PM Re: Yet more info on my WW2 game - also, anyone interested in a tech demo?  
Drawde Offline
Drawde  Offline

Cookham,Berkshire,UK
I'll upload it tomorrow (easier than e-mailing it to several people). I've written a readme file with plenty of information on the game, how to play it, and what's missing/not working properly (the latter section is rather large as you might expect).

#467672 - 07/23/03 09:18 PM Re: Yet more info on my WW2 game - also, anyone interested in a tech demo?  
Osram Offline
Hotshot
Osram  Offline
Hotshot

Bielefeld, Germany
Interesting stuff! Unfortunately I am too busy with BoB.

#467673 - 07/23/03 11:15 PM Re: Yet more info on my WW2 game - also, anyone interested in a tech demo?  
Zellot Offline
Zellot  Offline

Porto Alegre, RS, Brasil
I am interested aswell, but i don't know your website adress \:\(

#467674 - 07/23/03 11:30 PM Re: Yet more info on my WW2 game - also, anyone interested in a tech demo?  
Bader Offline
Veteran
Bader  Offline
Veteran

Bletchingley, Surrey, UK
Happy to have a constructive poke around.

"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

BDG BoB Developers Group: Eleven! years of passion for historical recreation of the Battle of Britain.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.