Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#464841 - 05/18/03 07:06 PM Need info on WW2 Europe airfields and industrial centres (for a game I'm writing)  
Drawde Offline
Drawde  Offline

Cookham,Berkshire,UK
(I originally posted this on the general flightsim forum, but BUFF suggested I posted it here also.)

This is for the WW2 strategy/sim game I'm currently working on. (I'll post more information on the game in future). Recently
I've added a lot of features to the game including towns and cities, roads, airfields and industrial centres. However I need information
on the historical locations and types of airfields and industrial centres.
I've been searching for books on these subjects for a while, and have also tried searching on the Net for information, but haven't found much
yet. Does anyone here know any links to sites with useful information, or the names of any books that would be useful?

The main things I need to know are:

1. The names, locations and approximate sizes of the major military airfields in the UK, Europe (including western USSR) and
North Africa, along with what types of squadron (fighter, bomber, etc.) operated from them. I only need info on major airfields,
not every minor training field etc. (there wouldn't be room for every single field on my scaled-down Europe map anyway)

2. The locations (i.e the towns they were based in) of the main aircraft, ground vehicle and components (engines etc.) factories,
again in the UK and Europe. Also naval shipyards, and major steel production and oil refining centres.

What I need most is the locations and names of the airfields and industries - a map would be the most helpful thing.
I also need info on the locations of the British coastal radar stations.

Currently the lack of reference material is holding up development of the game a lot - I've created models for about two-thirds
of the buildings in the game, I just need to know where to put them - and I can't really get to work finishing the AI and strategy
system until there's a decent environment for it to operate in.

BTW this game is not a commercial project, creating games is just a hobby of mine! And I'm on a very limited budget so
can't go out and spend a fortune on reference material (though I would certainly be prepared to "shell out" for a good reference
book or map!) so please don't get the impression I'm a commercial game developer trying to save money \:\)

(Update: I've found some info in a book, "Air Warfare", which has the locations of most major airfields in the UK and northern France, as well as German industrial sites and British coastal radar. However, I still need info on airfields and industries for the rest of Europe, as well as industries in the UK)

Another thing - anyone interested in wireframe pictures of some of the game models? I'll post some pics here if anyone
wants. I've created a lot recently, both buildings and vehicles (mostly early-war stuff; recently I added a Matilda Mk. I and II,
two different Cruiser tank models, and a Universal Carrier)

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#464842 - 05/18/03 07:49 PM Re: Need info on WW2 Europe airfields and industrial centres (for a game I'm writing)  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

hi
just an idea to help you , i think...
try to get battle of britain and twelve o' clock high (TOH) strategy sims from talon soft...maps and information like you want , are in its...

#464843 - 05/19/03 10:58 AM Re: Need info on WW2 Europe airfields and industrial centres (for a game I'm writing)  
3D. Offline
3D.  Offline

Northampton England

"They are nowhere near the airport ..they are lost in the desert...they can not read a compass...they are retarded."
Bagdad Bob.
#464844 - 05/19/03 11:09 AM Re: Need info on WW2 Europe airfields and industrial centres (for a game I'm writing)  
the soupdragon Offline
Sexy Beast
the soupdragon  Offline
Sexy Beast
Hotshot

Cardiff South Wales UK
Hiya mate
There is a pretty good book for reference on WWII airfields. I have it in my collection \:\)

Its called World War 2 Airfields
by Philip Birtles
ISBN 0-7110-2681-5

Its not an all encompassing title but it gives a little info on every airfield in Britain. You should be able to pick it up at a good bookshop for a few quid, but if you have any difficulty finding it I would be happy to lend it to you until you finish your project
Heres a sample scan of the type of info you get.

As I said it doesn't give you every detail but it gives you some, as well as where it is/was situated.
Let me know if would like to borrow the book.

SD

From the hills rebounding
Let this war cry sounding
Summon all at Cambria's call
The mighty force surrounding

Men of Harlech onto glory
This shall ever be your story
Keep these fighting words before ye
Welshmen never yield
#464845 - 05/19/03 11:31 AM Re: Need info on WW2 Europe airfields and industrial centres (for a game I'm writing)  
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
PV1  Offline
sometime mudslinger

Ladner, Wet Coast, Canada
Of course, one handy way of seeing a lot of pretty accurate representations of English airfields, and radar sites, including a high res map which can be switched to highlight just the fields or sites, to boot, is to shell out a modest amount for a certain combat flight sim about the Battle of Britain. And you get the sim to play as well, what a bargain!

#464846 - 05/19/03 01:28 PM Re: Need info on WW2 Europe airfields and industrial centres (for a game I'm writing)  
Drawde Offline
Drawde  Offline

Cookham,Berkshire,UK
I do have BoB, as well as CFS3, IL-2:FB and WW2OL, all of which have much useful information of this sort - however somehow it seems a bit "dishonest" just to take the info from another sim, even if it is just historical data, and my game isn't a commercial project.
(BTW thanks for the link to the website)

#464847 - 05/19/03 11:21 PM Re: Need info on WW2 Europe airfields and industrial centres (for a game I'm writing)  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Careful, I think he's a Nazi spy who just happens to have come across a time machine. Just think of the results if he hops back to '39 with all this info!!

"Keep Mum, She's not so dumb."

#464848 - 05/20/03 05:25 PM Re: Need info on WW2 Europe airfields and industrial centres (for a game I'm writing)  
Bader Offline
Veteran
Bader  Offline
Veteran

Bletchingley, Surrey, UK
..well exactly. Can I see your security pass please Sir?

From all the background info I have seen BoB would be a very good reference point to much of this as Rowan really did their research. In fact their historical modelling is unbelievable. The deeper you look the more they got right, even down to the individual buildings at the airfields. "Battle of Britain- Then and Now" is the reference bible for much of their work on the airfields. Not cheap though.

"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

BDG BoB Developers Group: Eleven! years of passion for historical recreation of the Battle of Britain.
#464849 - 05/20/03 06:54 PM Re: Need info on WW2 Europe airfields and industrial centres (for a game I'm writing)  
U-96 Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
U-96  Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot

And that is why God gave us public libraries \:D

You can normally order any book in the county system from your local library, and if you contact your local university, they can often be very helpful too, though you may not be able to borrow.

There is a good series of little softback books on individual airfields. Called "Airfield Focus" they are superb little histories and well illustrated. They are exceptionally good at covering minor airfields that often just played a support role but were vital nonetheless.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/202-9007926-6223840

As for German stuff, German Aircraft Industry and Production: 1933-1945 is an exceptionally good starting place, but good luck in finding (or affording) it! \:\)

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.