Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4647439 - 06/03/24 02:59 PM Ghost of Tsushima (Director's Cut)  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Anyone pick this up? It's out on PC now. I had read good things, so decided to give it a go. I've not been a big fan of Assassin's Creed games, but I like them enough to play a few of them (Odyssey probably my favorite). And Ghost is often described as Assassin's Creed in Japan, I guess that's true in a sense, game loops are similar.

The combat is third person, which is another mark against, but works well. Good swordfighting system, the fights feel good. Over time you get better in the same sort of way as Kingdom Come, learning new moves and combos, and stances, which are a key mechanic, requiring the player to match his stance to the enemy's armament. Stone stance is good against swordfighters, Water against sword and board, Wind against staff weapons and Moon against heavies. You get a bow, a katana and short blade for stealth kills and assassinations. Over all the combat works well, and is fun, and will get better as I do, and as I learn new techniques.

Graphics are nice, but even with the enhancements for the Director's Cut it's still a four-year old game, which means it runs smoothly, but is no longer cutting edge in the graphics department. The art style really appeals to me though. The gameworld looks fantastic, with nice lighting, changing weather, grass and trees affected by the wind

Everything I read ahead of purchasing recommended I run the game with Japanese voices and English subtitles, and I get the appeal of this, the authenticity mojo it imparts, but after an hour I had already changed it to English voice. Yeah it's cool, but I spent all the time looking at the bottom of the screen trying to figure out what is being said and missing what was going on on the screen.

Horses are a little disappointing, and for only one reason really -- lack of variable gaits. It's either slow or fast unless I am missing something. RDR2's system of hitting shift to step up the horse from trot to canter to gallop, etc was so perfect and I really wish there was at least one intermediate speed to ride in Ghost.

Minimal HUD elements is a nice touch. No mini-map for example, and the game uses the wind to show course and direction. Just follow the wind. Pretty neat.

I've dropped about six hours so far, enough to get a feel, but not enough for a proper assessment. Let's see what I think after twenty hours. I think it will get better as I expand my combat repertoire.

Ghost of Tsushima @ Steam

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4647441 - 06/03/24 03:27 PM Re: Ghost of Tsushima (Director's Cut) [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DBond

The combat is third person, which is another mark against, but works well.

I used to look down my nose at third person combat until I played Elden Ring. That game completely changed my perspective.

I'm absolutely interested in the historical time and setting of Ghost of Tsushima but I'm not in a rush to play it right now since I have other games taking my time AND the Elden Ring DLC will be out on the 20th. That I'll be playing on release date. smile

There's a good chance though I'll buy Ghost of Tsushima down the road after it's been patched a few times and when it may be on sale.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 06/03/24 04:16 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4647442 - 06/03/24 03:38 PM Re: Ghost of Tsushima (Director's Cut) [Re: DBond]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
I played it on the Playstation and can't recommend it enough. Story is OK, gameplay is great and the world is beautiful.

There's also two different bows, and a lot more tools like smoke, windchimes, bombs, throwing knives, ect.

There's also several different types of armor with their own bonuses, some are good at standoffs, some for swordfighting, some are tanky, some for stealth, others archery. On top of that they can be further customized with charms that grant further bonuses to various stats. Add in the several color customizations to that and you have a wide variety of ways to customize your character's stats and look. it gives you some variety of how to play the game with all those tools and armor combinations.

They added for the directors cut edition the ability to have sets of armor, weapons and charms allowing you to switch all of those out on the fly. So you can have one getup for sniping people with bows, another for straight up fighting and another for sneaking around like an assassin. Originally you had to swap each piece of gear and each charm. It's a very handy quality of life feature. I usually roam around in a traveling outfit that heals out of combat and adds bonuses to picking up supplies/materials. Then swap to armor to fight with for the missions or when attacking an outpost.

There's a Kurosawa mode which switches the game to black and white and causes the breeze to be much stronger and almost always blowing. Kinda cool, but the he did do several color movies and this game looks like those anyway.

#4647445 - 06/03/24 04:19 PM Re: Ghost of Tsushima (Director's Cut) [Re: wormfood]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by wormfood

There's a Kurosawa mode which switches the game to black and white and causes the breeze to be much stronger and almost always blowing. Kinda cool, but the he did do several color movies and this game looks like those anyway.

If I buy the game I will most definitely give that a try.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4647449 - 06/03/24 05:02 PM Re: Ghost of Tsushima (Director's Cut) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I've only just obtained my first two sets of armor. I know I should be swapping according to what I'm engaged in. I'll have to see if there's a hot key to do this. Seems like wormfood is saying yes. I saw I have loadouts, but haven't fooled with this yet.,

I like the music score. Usually --no, virtually always -- I turn music off in my games. But so far I've left it on here and like it.

Story seems OK. The premise is your homeland, the Island of Tsushima, has been invaded by Mongol fleets who have come to kill and enslave your people. As the last remaining samurai, it falls to you to lead the counter attack. Gather allies, and tools and skills to fight back, is how the game starts off. It's open world and you can go off in any direction and explore.

So far so good I reckon. Certainly worth a go once it goes on sale, but even at full price it is worth it for some gamers who like this sort of game I think.

#4647450 - 06/03/24 05:11 PM Re: Ghost of Tsushima (Director's Cut) [Re: DBond]  
Trooper117 Online smile
Hotshot
Trooper117  Online Smile
Hotshot

UK
I'm playing the game to death at the moment... I love the setting and the time frame anyway.
Had it since day one, and I'm 43 hours in.

#4647451 - 06/03/24 05:16 PM Re: Ghost of Tsushima (Director's Cut) [Re: DBond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Story seems OK. The premise is your homeland, the Island of Tsushima, has been invaded by Mongol fleets who have come to kill and enslave your people. As the last remaining samurai, it falls to you to lead the counter attack. Gather allies, and tools and skills to fight back, is how the game starts off. It's open world and you can go off in any direction and explore.

Nice to hear it takes place during the 13th century Mongol invasions so it's samurai vs. mongol instead of the usual Sengoku Jidai period where most past games have been set where it's samurai vs. samurai and ashigaru vs. ashigaru.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 06/03/24 05:17 PM.

#4647454 - 06/03/24 06:49 PM Re: Ghost of Tsushima (Director's Cut) [Re: DBond]  
Trooper117 Online smile
Hotshot
Trooper117  Online Smile
Hotshot

UK
It took me awhile to realise that different stances are pretty important... as you get into the game more, you get to release and use those stances for different types of enemies.
Press 'T' and use the mouse wheel to scroll to the stance you should adopt to fight against an enemy with a shield, change the stance to fight a spear man and so on... if you don't use the correct stance, it is harder to kill that particular opponent.

#4647466 - 06/04/24 07:43 AM Re: Ghost of Tsushima (Director's Cut) [Re: DBond]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
I was just looking at this in the PlayStation Store the other day. Will have to pick it up soon, it looks like a great game.

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4647485 - 06/04/24 01:07 PM Re: Ghost of Tsushima (Director's Cut) [Re: DBond]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
I've only just obtained my first two sets of armor. I know I should be swapping according to what I'm engaged in. I'll have to see if there's a hot key to do this. Seems like wormfood is saying yes. I saw I have loadouts, but haven't fooled with this yet.,

For changing stances, yes, there should be a hotkey for that.
For changing equipment, there's not a hot key, but everything is tied to a piece of armor. So if you equip a set of armor, then the weapons, mask, and charms, the next time you switch to that piece of armor, it'll change everything at once. Before you had to switch out everything every single time. It made it so I just wore one piece of armor the whole time. Now it's just a couple clicks in the menu and everything is swapped out. here's 10 sets of armor in the game.

Now that everything swaps out, I run around in the Traveler's Attire, then switch to actual armor before a mission or attacking an outpost. Which one depends on how I want to take them out. Ronin attire is good for stealth. Gosaku and Sekai Clan armors were good for fighting. Tadayori's armor was good for archery. Ghost armor is awesome, but you don't get it until the end of act 2.

Some of the duels in the game are tough, so I'd use an armor that increases health or damage and then stack the charms to increase both. For missions and attacking Mongols and Ronin I'll want things like heal on kill, increase stagger and focus gains.

#4647502 - 06/04/24 04:23 PM Re: Ghost of Tsushima (Director's Cut) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks, I've started switching armor now that I have options. And you're right about the stealth. The AI is easy to exploit since you can evade their searches and pick them off one by one. Attacking from stealth works well, and doing fall assassinations is fun. Mechanically it feels sound, the trouble being the limited AI. It's good to have the option, and following along in the story it struck me how the devs could have excluded stealth, in honor of the samurai's code. But obviously they made the decision to allow Jin to stray, and anyway, this sort of conflict makes for good story telling I suppose, and in fact the whole 'ghost' thing depends on it. I like to mix up some stealth takedowns and swordfighting. Both are satisfying, at least in my early stage of the game. But the shine will come off when you've done the hundredth camp I reckon.

This game is often called Assassin's Creed in Japan as noted above, but having dropped more time in to it I find it feels more like MGS Phantom Pain, at least the way I am going about it. It shares things with both games, and more.

#4647517 - 06/04/24 06:32 PM Re: Ghost of Tsushima (Director's Cut) [Re: DBond]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
The assassinations are fun and effective, and yes the AI is a bit underwhelming, it usually is in most of these games though.

Once I got the hang of the combat, I had more fun just walking into the front door and challenging them to a fight to be the most fun. Lets you take out 3-5, depending on your armor, one on one via standoffs. Then I'd just mop up in regular combat any others. If you have the ghost armor, a bunch of them usually get scared and run away. It's a real power trip.

The other cool things with doing a ton of assassinations, the weather generally is much worse with storms and fog being more frequent. Also, when you go into towns people are a bit more scared of you. Likewise, if you avoid assassinations it's often more sunny with less storms and fog and people in towns are happy to see you and will usually greet you and bow.

#4647573 - 06/05/24 12:43 PM Re: Ghost of Tsushima (Director's Cut) [Re: wormfood]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by wormfood

Once I got the hang of the combat, I had more fun just walking into the front door and challenging them to a fight to be the most fun. Lets you take out 3-5, depending on your armor, one on one via standoffs. Then I'd just mop up in regular combat any others. If you have the ghost armor, a bunch of them usually get scared and run away. It's a real power trip.

Standoffs are cool. I grabbed the improved standoff perk so I can take out the first three in quick succession. Usually I'll pick off a few guards around the perimeter and whittle down the garrison a bit and then standoff to finish up. I can mostly handle the mobs, but the whole concept of switching stances is beyond me when fighting big groups. Honestly I feel awkward still with the combat system. New moves are added before I've mastered the previous ones. I find alt awkward too, which controls dodge. Can I set it up to double tap A and D instead to execute a dodge? I should fool around with the key mapping and maybe I'll get more proficient with the combat system. Against one or two foes I have the time to think about what I am doing and I can do it well, parrying and dodging at the right time, countering the enemies' moves. But when there's a mob, and especially indoors I lose control and start mashing, jumping, dodging, rolling, swinging at everything. Chaos. Essentially I think I'm just good enough at the combat to get through it, but I want to feel like I've mastered it. It's such a cool system, great animations and moves. But you need to have it down and I'm not there yet.

I'm having fun with Ghost. I enjoy the combat, the mix between stealth and stand up. The story is pretty good, I have a motivation. Voice acting is good, game world looks great and runs fine on my modest box. My feeling now is I prefer this over something like AC Odyssey, but I also know I was loving that game until I hit a wall of repetition and the shine wore off. So we'll see how it is at 50 hours. But so far I like it.

#4647582 - 06/05/24 03:06 PM Re: Ghost of Tsushima (Director's Cut) [Re: DBond]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
I played it on the PS, so it was all controller for me. I can't really help with the keyboard binds in the PC version.

For groups, do you have any mythic techniques yet? They're helpful at doing significant damage to an opponent and helps to whittle them down when surrounded. Also you can throw a kunai at one guy then to throw him off and then attack another one. No matter the stance the dodges and perfect parries still work, so you can sit back and play defensively if you're good at timing those. Even the wrong stance will do damage to a wide open opponent who was thrown off by a perfect dodge or parry. Or, if you have smoke, just toss it at your feet and then cut them down in the confusion. Or just play the whole thing by assassinating all the opponents. You have a few ways to play and a load of tools at your disposal. Granted, not all of them are available right away, but you should still start out with a few.

#4647705 - 06/07/24 02:21 PM Re: Ghost of Tsushima (Director's Cut) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Hey wormfood thanks for the reply. I have no mythics yet but last night I started down the Heavenly Strike path. Is this one?

Combat has gotten a lot better for me as I get used to it. Honestly it's a muscle memory thing because so many moves on PC use right and left mouse buttons, in various orders. One might be hold right and click left twice. Another might be three times. Another might be the opposite so it takes a while to get it down, find which moves work best. Sort of the same way that I have to run down each press on the bamboo strikes until I've gotten it down to cut them all. Three is easy, all of them takes some repetition.

Getting more stances helps a lot. Mobs were my problem since I could be being attacked by a staff weapon, a sword and board and a sword fighter all at the same time and attempting to change stances for each is too much. So instead I've settled on water as the defacto mob stance since shields are the hardest one to open up and counter. Since getting this stance and using it like this my mob control has gotten a lot better. Weapons are upgraded, outfits improved and it's all falling in to place quite nicely and I'm starting to feel badass, in control. Thanks for the help.

#4648451 - 06/24/24 01:36 PM Re: Ghost of Tsushima (Director's Cut) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I said, let's see what I think after 50 hours and I've crossed that line. I like it. Don't love it, but I like it enough to keep playing

I had been having frequent crashes, which were surely video related. I updated my driver but that didn't seem to make a difference, so I experimented with turning down or off some graphics settings and that seems to have done the trick, haven't had a crash in some time now.

In time I got a handle on the combat, so that I now look forward to every fight, the bigger the mob the better. I can dodge and dance, parry and counter and oftentimes come out with nary a scratch.

The outfit and stance swapping I don't care for. So I really don't do it much, to my cost, but meh. I can still get by.

The mantling for shrines is kinda cool I guess. I adore the foxes. Not sure why exactly, but they are so cute and navigate the path so easily, not getting stuck even if they have to climb up cliffs.

Crafting is too simple, but at the same time it doesn't bog you down. Each step of upgrading your katana says simply "kill enemies faster". Not +2 to slash, or more bleeding, or faster attack speed. Just kill faster lol

The story side is pretty good I guess. It's all well-crafted, with clear homage paid to the traditions and history of Japan.

Ghost of Tsushima though does kind of suffer from the same sort of thing I found in AC games. Everything works well mechanically, and it's fun to play. But it is so dense, and I start to feel like this thing is the same as the last thing. Clear a camp, eliminate a patrol, clear a camp, clear another camp, another patrol. Not much variety to what I am doing, so I play in short bursts, 30 minutes here, 45 there. I like the combat enough to want to do another one, but once its cleared I've had enough for now, which doesn't bode all that well for getting all the way through the game, but there ya go. I'm about halfway through Act 2, and thinking of going to Iki. I just unlocked the boat ride and saved while standing on the shore.

Ghost is a good game. Looks great, plays well, no big mis-steps as far as I am concerned.

#4648977 - 07/06/24 01:41 PM Re: Ghost of Tsushima (Director's Cut) [Re: DBond]  
grumble Offline
grumble  Offline

Japan
Did some work related to the development of this game. It looked good at the time...glad you guys like it!

#4649016 - 07/06/24 10:19 PM Re: Ghost of Tsushima (Director's Cut) [Re: grumble]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by grumble
Did some work related to the development of this game. It looked good at the time...glad you guys like it!

Did you also happen to be involved with Elden Ring? smile

#4649031 - 07/07/24 12:05 PM Re: Ghost of Tsushima (Director's Cut) [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
grumble Offline
grumble  Offline

Japan
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by grumble

Did you also happen to be involved with Elden Ring? smile

Heh... nope!

#4649052 - 07/07/24 06:52 PM Re: Ghost of Tsushima (Director's Cut) [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
It turned out well, nice work.

I did Iki Island and liked it. Haven't been to every POI, but I liberated it and defeated the Eagle, who has to be the hardest yet. No, actually the hardest opponent yet is the woman at the tournament ring who lies about how many kids she has. I left her for later after she hit me with every attack and it was over in about ten seconds lol.

The combat on Iki is fun, the enemies challenging. It looks superb too. A fine addition to the base campaign I think.

I find the combat a lot of fun in this game. KCD has held the title of my favorite melee system for a few years now, but this is more fun. It's nice and fluid. It's like a dance, timing is critical, and the options are many, once you start to get it all unlocked. 50 hours in you have such a versatile arsenal of moves and weapons, to counter and exploit any situation. Tools like the hallucination darts and upgraded throwables make you pretty unstoppable, at least outside of the duels. Those take me a number of tries to win usually, and I'm just on normal I think.

The game looks and runs great, but I did have to kill a few graphics settings to deal with the many crashes I had been having. I did too many changes to pinpoint any culprits.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Yahoo Dynasty football league
by WangoTango. 07/17/24 02:12 PM
The Last of "The Few" Turns 105
by F4UDash4. 07/17/24 11:48 AM
Dear Amazon... What Is The Deal?
by F4UDash4. 07/17/24 02:20 AM
This is getting bad....
by WangoTango. 07/15/24 08:35 PM
The only F-15E credited with an air-to-air kill
by CyBerkut. 07/13/24 04:25 PM
Actress Shelley Duvall dies at 75
by NoFlyBoy. 07/11/24 06:02 PM
Joe Engle was 91
by F4UDash4. 07/11/24 09:55 AM
BeamNG
by wormfood. 07/06/24 03:06 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.