Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#46448 - 02/04/06 02:55 PM Track IR and perspective  
jg27Delta Offline
jg27Delta  Offline

scotland
Andy,
I have enjoyed reading your articles on SimHQ, they have helped me a lot especially the "Its all a matter of perspective" articles.

However in the past year I have aquired a Trackir system and I have done a review for this on airwarfare
http://www.airwarfare.com/AWX/features/reviews/trackir4_review.htm

I am updating this and would like to know if you have used TIR and if so what are your impressions of this hardware in relation to traditional methods such as padlock and snap/pan viewing systems.

I play IL2FB online and the move there is predominantly to "closed " pits e.g. without externals so do you have any thoughts on this? and how to best use your viewing systems in this type of environment.

Im sure your input on this would help a lot of people and I will of course give you due credit should you agree to be quoted in my article.

thank you for any help

O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#46449 - 02/04/06 09:47 PM Re: Track IR and perspective  
Andy Bush Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator
Andy Bush  Offline
Site Emeritus
Air Combat Forum Moderator

Hotshot

St Charles, MO
I've come close to buying a TIR system a couple of times as I've only heard good things about them. I don't fly PC sims much anymore and could never justify the cost. If I were still as involved with sims as I used to be, I'd definitely get one.

TIR seems to be about as close to RL as we may get outside the day when we all can afford a multi-monitor set-up! Padlocks and snap views have always been a poor substitute for a real world ability to look around.

I haven't changed my point of view at all regarding the superiority of the player-to-target external view. Had I experience with TIR, I might tone down my enthusiasm for the external view, but I doubt if I would abandon it.

Having simming groups not permit externals is nothing new...I've encountered that line of thinking from my first entry into this hobby. I have yet to hear a persuasive argument from that side other than the one that says that the admin should be free to mandate any playing environment they desire. To that end, I agree...but there the debate ends, because once it gets into opinion about RL, those that make that argument are usually those without RL experience to draw from.

I get a laugh when this 'closed' argument comes from folks who fly the IL-2 series. I have found that many of the cockpits in these sims have overdone the appearance of the cockpit framing to the point where the restriction to vision is exceedingly pronounced and not at all representative of how a RL pilot 'sees'. It's funny to see these rule-makers denying the use of one technique based on what they think is RL when they turn around and insist on the use of another viewing type that is equally as unrealistic.

Good luck with the article!

#46450 - 02/05/06 05:56 AM Re: Track IR and perspective  
jg27Delta Offline
jg27Delta  Offline

scotland
thanks andy

O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us
#4419319 - 05/06/18 05:11 AM Re: Track IR and perspective [Re: Andy Bush]  
Moose1am Offline
Moose1am  Offline

SW Indiana
Hi Andy:
I read your comments on Tracker IR and the closed cockpit thing. I'm not sure if you know that the Tracker IR had 6 deg of freedom and you can lower or raise your head, lean forward or backward and actually see around the enclosed cockpit canopy obstructions with Tracker IR equipment setup right. I'm a fan of 3D cockpit view only and love it when I can use Tracker IR with those type of games. The games I play allow external views but I seldom use them. I prefer or use Padlock view in the Fight Sim games that I play. You should give Tracker IR a chance and it will open your eyes to using the enclosed cockpit only view. And I do agree the developers or programmers tend to make the cockpit structures way to wide and big. They should be thinner so you can see around them more easily. But Tracker IR helps a lot. And you can even move your head to the side and then back behind you to see around the pilot's seat which sometimes gets in the way when checking Six. Most of my experience using TrackerIR came in Simulation Battles with War Thunder. I don't like the setup with WT much but the graphics and the SB were nice for a while when I didn't have anything else to play.

Salute.

I bet that Tracker IR works great in Aces High and WarBirds too

Regards,

Moose1am
#4421053 - 05/16/18 04:42 PM Re: Track IR and perspective [Re: jg27Delta]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
Now you win the prize on the thread digup contest mate smile

I'm unsure if Tir already had 6dof back in 2006.

Nowadays, and unless you plan to use VR, Tir is still a must have for simming imho, I'm 100% with you on this.

#4425165 - 06/08/18 01:04 PM Re: Track IR and perspective [Re: jg27Delta]  
SAPPER Offline
SAPPER  Offline

Portugal
ROTFL

#4425336 - 06/09/18 06:28 PM Re: Track IR and perspective [Re: jg27Delta]  
MigBuster Offline
MigBuster  Offline

UK
I think with TIR 3 you had to buy a separate Vector expansion pack to actually get 6DOF, I did have one back in the day.

'Crashing and Burning since 1987'

Moderated by  Andy Bush, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.