Page 76 of 79 1 2 74 75 76 77 78 79
#4642962 - 02/23/24 03:59 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
OK, good luck in the season. I hope to get a couple more players.

Testing has been interesting, and the reliability so far has been fantastic. The order is taking shape, but we won't really know until next Saturday I reckon.

I've switched my fantasy team around twenty times already. As always, the pricing is maddening, as the gaps are too big to fine tune your squad. I always feel like I am compromising and I guess that's the point.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4643034 - 02/24/24 04:18 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
It's time once again for DBond's Pre-Season State of the Grid Extravaganzapalooza!

My assessment having watched all three days of testing, and rummaging through the data, I present the current state of the grid

1. Red Bull. Based on data, lap times, deg and just the eye test, Red Bull are top of the table. They have both shocked and surprised me by not simply refining their superior design, but changing the concept, and perhaps most surprisingly of all, going with a design not unlike Merc's zero pods. Red Bull have pulled a blinder on the competition. That the entire grid was surprised was fun to see, and you can sense they are all thinking WTF? In-season development will be key as always, but when the lights go out in Bahrain it is Red Bull who are the team to beat. Car looks superb.

2. Ferrari. The data from the testing shows Fez are about two-tenths off Red Bull's pace. Of course we don't know all the details. Fuel loads, engine maps and the rest. But just interpreting the data it looks like Ferrari are a tick behind. Most encouragingly for the team, they look to have solved their massive deg problem that caused them to fall off so much over a stint last year. One of Sainz' long stints during the test showed negative deg, which occurs as the fuel burns, and his lap times actually got faster on the same set of shoes. Very promising indeed and I expect Ferrari to be a challenger on race days this season, not just on Saturday. Too much yellow in the livery for me. Last year's was better.

3. Mercedes. Hard to place them right now. The test showed great long run pace, but poor single lap pace. Which if true, would see them qualify farther down and be forced to fight their way forward, essentially the opposite of what we saw from Ferrari last season. They can run with Fez and MacLaren, but can they qualify alongside? That will be their focus. Too much black in the Silver Arrows

4. McLaren. What a shift from the last extravagapalooza! Data suggests they are another tenth adrift over a single lap, and a tenth again on long runs. But this is a much better starting position than 2023. I really like their driver pairing, and I expect Piastri to kick on from his excellent rookie campaign. If McLaren can duplicate their gains from last year, they will have a good shot to stand on the top step this season. Not enough Papaya in the car, and I still hate the wheel covers.

5. Aston Martin. It feels like a bit of a toss-up between them and Toro Rosso Visa Cash App Alpha Minardi (we'll just call them RB), but I am handing fifth place to Aston based on having faster race pace according to the data. RB look to be a hair faster over one lap, but Aston Martin look primed to have better long stints,and that's where the points are earned. But this is a slight regression from their position this time last year. Best looking car on the grid.

6. RB (call 'em what you will. VCARB?). About even with Aston over the test, which is a fair gain over the winter and the mood in the camp is good. Two drivers with a lot to prove. I can see RB making some noise, in the points every week. In-season dev will be key to their fortunes over the course of the season. But this is a promising start for a team who have struggled for points for years now. Livery is a mess, my least favorite of them all.

7. Alpine. This is even closer between Alpine and Kick than the last pair above, but the gap to the teams ahead is daunting at the moment. Remarkably, both their single lap and long run pace are identical to each other. It's a demoralizing test, as Alpine would have been hoping to take a step. But they have not and at the start they will be battling for the final point most weeks. Just can't get in to the blue/pink thing. Needs more pink. Bring back the Racing Point.

8. Sauber (Kick, Stake, whatever). It was a promising test as the car looks more competitive than a year ago. They are still in the bottom half, but not the slowest. Reason for optimism and they should be in and around the points more often than not. The neon green really stands out. Bold.

9. Williams. Disappointing to still be near the bottom (thanks Haas!). They had hoped to develop a car that married good corner pace to their good straight line speed, but the evidence suggest they have missed the mark. Points will be hard to come by. Blue on blue? Meh. Bring back the white Williams

10. Haas. Just sell to Andretti already. Haas' 2024 car is just not working. Data shows they are two tenths slower than the next slowest, Williams. They have it all to do. More black in the car and it works for me.

#4643074 - 02/25/24 11:29 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
My predictions are very much a shot in the dark, I wasn't able to follow closely enough the testing, but my take is:

1/Red Bull (what a surprise eh ?)
2/Fez/Mcl/Merc, in whatever order along the season
3/AM/Alp/RB, in whatever order along the season
4/Wil/Stak/Hass in whatever order along the season

Occasionally one of each group will appear in either the group above or below.

On liveries, not fond of Visa RB nor Stake, but I don't mind them looking bad since I don't support them. Much disappointed with Alpine's, I wish they'd get rid of any pink and black and stick to 95% Alpine blue with a touch of red and white. Not exactly fond of Fez's yellow either, but supporting them has always been a pain even when they look good so.... Other teams' liveries are ok to me.

#4643189 - 02/28/24 02:30 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Not long now boys. Getting psyched. For me, nothing in sports is better than the start of a F1 race. And the first start is the best of them all.

Get your fantasy sorted. We have a long season ahead of us. Buckle up!

#4643290 - 03/01/24 02:04 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
All the testing and practice is done. The grid looks much more competitive than a year ago. This should be fantastic. Qualifying next. Good luck!

#4643309 - 03/01/24 11:14 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
Quali very much as expected, bar poor Alpine drivers I hoped could get into the middle and ended last.

#4643320 - 03/02/24 01:11 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, only real surprise was Hulk's Q3 appearance. Alpine are in a bad spot, but these things aren't permanent necessarily and they need to dig themselves out.

All evidence points to a much more competitive field and I expect some stellar racing out there today

I'm already ten points off the pace in fantasy. need a good result!

#4643326 - 03/02/24 05:28 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
The Bulls they were sandbagging I reckon. What a dominant display. I expect to see Max out in front, but when Checo is too you know something is up!

Horrible race for fantasy. Another one where one of my drivers was taken out on the first lap. Stroll tagged by Hulk. If it weren't for bad luck...

#4643330 - 03/02/24 07:17 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
I was pretty certain they were.

Sadly for the championship.....

Only seen highlights, looks like it was a decent race bar red bulls. I love that Carlos is in a fighting mood, I thinks he's much understimated. Charles being so brilliant in quali masks how good Carlos can be over a race.

#4643335 - 03/02/24 08:41 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I told you this was your year. Good start.

#4643351 - 03/03/24 02:53 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
As a fantasy F1 player well, maybe.

As a Fez fan though.... dizzy

#4643380 - 03/04/24 01:34 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, well, priorities.

Back at it this week boys, Jeddah is the venue.

#4643396 - 03/04/24 04:57 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Rumours.

Verstappen to replace Hamilton?

Seems Verstappen Sr. is not happy with Horner at the moment.

“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
#4643398 - 03/04/24 05:04 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Jos needs to shut his pie hole. Boot the fooker right on out of the paddock.

I'm not assessing if he is right or wrong, but the team certainly do not need this clown stirring the pot. If he wants to do so, fine, his right, but not as a guest of the team. He'll be somewhere else this weekend.

I think max will just ignore it all. But yeah, he could swap seats, you never know.

#4643578 - 03/08/24 05:04 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
Hyped ?

For some reason, I am.

Street circuit so anything can happen. Fingers crossed for no life threatening drama though, this track is so dangerous.

#4643580 - 03/08/24 06:40 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah man, always.

This track is a dichotomy.

On one hand, it is thrilling to drive. But it is too narrow and blind for these cars. On the third hand the racing can be processional as it is difficult to overtake here. I was very much against it after the inaugural race, but I've warmed to it, especially as it is great to drive around. But I cannot escape the feeling we will see a tragedy here at some point.

Good quali for Max and Checo in third. Yuki in Q3. Good job by Bearman.

Looking forward to the race.

#4643582 - 03/08/24 07:27 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
A few interesting facts after qualifying

This was Verstappen's 34th pole, passing both Clark and Prost.

The average speed of Max's lap (254.097 KM/H / 157.886) is the fastest ever run in F1 outside of Monza.

This is the fifth straight race with Verstappen and Leclerc on the front row.

Leclerc is on the front row for the seventh consecutive race.

Checo starts in the top three for only the second time in the last 19 races.

#4643601 - 03/09/24 02:40 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Hoping for a good race, and some chaos if we can get it. Jeddah is low deg, so expect a one stopper, chaos aside. Medium-hard strategy is what I expect most will be on at the start. I've driven a lot of laps around here in the sim, and a number of races. It is great to drive, but it's continually turning, like a ship captain constant helming. Swing left, swing right and this makes it difficult to get by. The two main overtaking spots will be in to the final turn and in to turn one. DRS will be key, but like most high-speed tracks, DRS has less effect here. It still will be useful.

In fantasy it's funny because rollnloop, Sintax and I all have nearly identical teams at this point. Not much ability to make a move today. I didn't copy anyone, so it's interesting how we all sort of arrived at the same lineup given the pricing constraints. But with rollnloop out in front by 50 points it's on the rest of us to make up that gap. I made a mistake in week one going with a driver-heavy lineup, as rollnloop scored 90 points with Red Bull. The new scoring rules have increased the points possible by a constructor, so I had to make a change.

One correction to something I said a couple weeks ago.... that the three fastest pitstops are worth 18 points, 6 for each. But it is 10 for fastest, 5 for second fastest and 3 for third fastest.

Good luck boys!

#4643631 - 03/10/24 10:03 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
It was an OK race, grats to Bearman, and Haas had a good strat, however I'm fully against penalties that only are added at the end of the race, Pilots should have to serve them DURING the race, and if they already have had their scheduled pitstops then too bad for them, but Kmag blocking everyone to protect Hulk was not OK with the penalties he had.

I'm still ahead in fantasy, but given I will most likely miss a few races I think I'd need more of an advance to be really confident. Let's see what Australia gives !

#4643653 - 03/11/24 12:37 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I must have set some sort of record with four of my five drivers scoring negative points. That's an impressive feat.

Race was OK, about what I expected. This track needs some chaos, safety cars, crashes, retirements to come alive. We saw some overtakes in to one, but otherwise is was follow the leader. KMag blocked a whole bunch of cars for a long time to give Hulk a pitstop gap and they grabbed a point as a result. The problem with F1 right now is how faster cars cannot overtake. We are still too aero sensitive for really exceptional racing.

Bearman did a great job. That's about as difficult a debut as you can have. The only thing harder would have been no laps at all. But to only come in for FP3 and then do what he did is great. A spot on the grid beckons. The shots of his dad in the paddock were great, and I could understand what he was going through as another dad. He should be very proud.

Fantasy wasn't great, but we all had pretty much the same team, but I still managed to fall farther behind. Long season though!

Page 76 of 79 1 2 74 75 76 77 78 79

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.