Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 47 of 49 1 2 45 46 47 48 49
#4641842 - 01/31/24 02:00 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by JohnnyChemo
#%&*$# Ottos.

You got that right. I'm gearing up to hit them later in this Ethiopia run. We are allies now, but they've been useless to me. Well not entirely, as their inclusion in my alliance has probably made rivals think twice about jumping me. But they are always in such high debt that they will not agree to join my offensive wars. How often do I say this regardless of which nation I am playing? I really need them in order to take on Mamluks. It's nearly 1600 now and I have yet to fight the mammies. Time is ticking. My goals are to own Antioch, Constantinople and Alexandria as part of the achievement I am hunting. Still plenty of time left, but can't wait too long either.

The Ethiopia run is going very well, indeed. Economy is robust, religious unity is under control, unrest is too. I can't field a force limit yet to match Mamluks and take them on mano v mano. But they are now rather boxed in while I can continue expanding, so hopefully I can reach parity so I can consider a war even if Ottos are hampered by their debt. Ethiopia starts in good shape,as you have a FL of like 18 whilst all your neighbors have 6. So you can quickly consolidate your starting lands, grow your power fast, and hit all the smaller nations south of you. That's what I did and took all of the horn, most of the east African coast as well as all of Madagascar. I have a beachhead in Arabia as well, as I wanted to capture Aden to gain more control of the node.

Religion s a massive challenge as Ethiopia. We are Coptic, and no one else is. So right off the bat you have heathen and heretic maluses against everyone. Every province you capture is wrong religion. There are a few tiny Coptic nations that start near you, but you eat these in the first ten or twenty years. After that, you are the sole Coptic nation. Makes it easy to be Defender of the Faith haha

We are number 6 on the great powers list at the mo, which is quite good considering the competition.

Trade is really good here, what a shift from that Kitara run just a little south of where I am now. I essentially own all of Ethiopia, Aden and Zanzibar nodes. This will explode in value as the euros colonize the east indies and attempt to ship that trade home. But it has to go through me and we aim to steal it.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4641882 - 01/31/24 11:25 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I kinda remember Mamluks being a thorn in my side when I played Ottos. Do me a favor and give 'em a good pasting for me.
Sounds like the run is going well!

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4641910 - 02/01/24 12:45 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Happy birthday JC!

As 1600 approached I was feeling like we had done well, and the strategy was sound. But we had yet to war Mamluks, and this needed to be done. They were stronger than Ethiopia, and their alliance extended this advantage, if Ottomans would not join me. And no, they would not. It's so frustrating, they won't agree because of their debt. But we are long-time allies with high trust and favors, and Mamluks are their rival too. OK I get it, massive debt is a problem, and potentially the war will make it worse for you. But then, off they go launching their own offensive war a few days later. Yeah, must be crippling, that debt. The thing is, war can be expensive, but the payoff is more income which in turn can reduce that debt. Whatever.

Mamluks had Morocco, Tunis, a big Persian nation Transoxiana, and a small Aden vassal as allies. We had Portugal, Castile (who it must be said are as weak as I've seen them, having lost half of their starting lands to Aragon and France) and my small Coptic vassal, Medri Bahri. Ottomans too, but they have better things to do. Overall, their alliance was stronger. Not by much, but enough to swing the result.

I staged my armies on the border. In an earlier war I had established a bridgehead in Arabia. partly the reason was to grab more trade power in Aden, and partly to deny these lands to my rivals. But the strategical reason was to control both sides of the Bab-el-Mandeb, the Gate of Tears, at the mouth of the Red Sea. By controlling this, I can block the strait with a navy, preventing the enemy from entering Ethiopia here, while I am sieging down Egypt.

Mamluks' big Persian ally was in a war with Russia. So I waited until they would no longer agree to answer Mamluks' call and we struck. I said to myself, it is now or never. This is always a nail-biting moment. My four field armies ranged north in to Egypt, sieging our way to Cairo and Alexandria. The operational plan was for Portugal and Castile to handle Morocco, we would both go for Tunis and I would handle Mamluks. But those silly Iberians had their armies everywhere but where they were needed, and their North Africa holdings were quickly occupied by the enemy. You had one job! Not good.

In the east, Mamluks went for the Arabian east coast and sieged it down, but were blocked at the strait by my navy. We occupied everything around Cairo, which was the goal. The Red Sea was a big help, as we now had it blocked in the south as described, and there's just a narrow neck at the northern end, between the Red Sea and the Med, where we could place our armies abreast and in echelon. We now held everything we wanted to possibly take. It was a matter of reaching the sort of warscore we needed. Mamluks were not coming at me, but they still had 70,000 troops somewhere in Arabia, and if I left my positions and ranged in the vast expanses there, we could be defeated in detail.

Then Ottomans declared on Mamluks. I cheered out loud, threw up my arms in triumph. I mean for real though. Ottos then swept through Arabia, re-occupied my provinces there, which reversed that warscore. I peaced out Morrocco by giving them one of Portugal's provinces. Yeah, sorry about that, but you were useless. Peaced out Tunis for war reps. With warscore now around 80 we sat down at the table and hammered out a treaty. I took the western Red Sea coast, Cairo, Alexandria and other bits and bobs. Superb!

This essentially puts us as a road block in Ottoman's expansion. Honestly I've been lucky. The geo-political situation has broken nicely for me. In most runs, by 1600 Ottomans have taken most or all of Egypt and Arabia. Only a small percentage of the time do they focus to the north and east early. But lucky for me, this is one of those runs. Ottos have only declared on Mamluks twice, the second of which was during my war. Most of Arabia is still up for grabs, and in 1610 that is fortune of the first order, that I'm not faced (right now) with fighting Ottomans for it all. That could change.

Later, a second war took more of Egypt, but not all as it is high warscore around here. But the heavy lifting is done against Mamluks. We have eclipsed them.

Here's the situation soon after peacing out the first Mamlukian war. Ottos are still at it. Alexandria is an important goal for Ethiopia. As a Coptic nation there are five holy sites we can hold, each of which grants a bonus, like -10% core cost or +1% missionary strength. After the second war we hold three of these. The final two are held by Ottomans.

[Linked Image]

So it's all still in the balance, considering we will eventually have to battle a very strong Ottomans. But these first wars with Mamluks were essential. That we were able to grab such vital provinces in the first war was beautiful. The map, maybe not so much. Lots of map gore here. But we are filling this in.

Attached Files Ethiopia1605.jpg

#4641959 - 02/02/24 12:49 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Here's the situation 65 years after the last screenshot. Ottomans took coastal provinces near Gazza and that must have been the trigger to get claims on Egypt. They broke our alliance and we went from allies to -500 in a flash.

Portugal and Castile are like the Keystone Cops and cannot get out of their own way. Just embarrassing. In any other run they would be dominating, fielding 500k troops. Here they have a third of that. France is also an ally. The green nation inside my borders is Medri Bahri, my vassal that is currently being integrated. Everything looks good. Economy, army, alliance, religious unity. It's all under control. But Ottomans have 500k army dammit and just keep growing.

In one of my runs, maybe the Spain one recently, Ottomans exploded in the Age of Revolutions and I am hoping to make that happen again. It would help a lot!

It's my best Ethiopia run yet anyway, but my targets are out of reach at the mo. Need an intervention, of the divine sort.

One interesting thing here. Ethiopia just screams Religious idea group. You start with significant disunity and every province you'll take is wrong religion. But I chose not to and it has not been a problem. I rock four missionaries and have better missionary strength than I ever had as a Catholic nation without the Religious idea group. A cool strength for Ethiopia as not taking Religious means you can take Administrative, Economic or Humanist instead (I took Admin)

[Linked Image]

Attached Files Ethiopia1670.jpg

#4642025 - 02/03/24 01:22 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
17 years later and Ethiopia has expanded again, and Medri Bahri is integrated. Another war with Mamluks secured more of Arabia, denying it to my rivals and bringing us closer to India, overcoming the distance malus and allowing me to ally Gujarat. I had dismissed Gujarat at first, since they were the least powerful among the choices. But I chose them because they were the only one to have two of the others as allies. So even if they might bring the least potential to my wars, they might be the most likely to be able to answer when needed. Not as likely to be occupied and in big debt. Or so I hope.

Our biggest weakness is manpower I'd say. I've been able to create a big standing army, 300k strong and increasing every month. But our manpower is about a third of that. Makes our army brittle. Our troops are good, but I won't be able to sustain losses in a protracted war. I have acquired all regions required to form the nation of Aksum, and I'm debating doing this. Aksum has some good ideas. -15% AE and war score versus other religions is great and with rising absolutism and admin efficiency it would let me take more land if we are able win a war versus Ottomans. And I really need the manpower (+25%). Trade efficiency would be a nice boost as Ethiopia makes good money there. Additional governing capacity too. I like Ethiopia's ideas just fine, and I'd lose core cost, autonomy and war exhaustion reduction, a missionary, attrition bonus, fort defense and army tradition. Not sure what to do honestly. I'll probably make the switch since I may never have the chance to do so again.

Overall, we are in good shape at the moment, but we still need to carve up Ottomans, and that is a very tall order.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files Ethiopia1687.jpg

#4642080 - 02/04/24 06:24 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted by DBond
Happy birthday JC!

Thanks DB!

Love the borders - looks like you've got a good chunk of Africa firmly in your grip. Ottos can definitely be a strong threat, but they can also implode. Hoping for the best there!
Can you still get the achievements you are chasing if you for Aksum?

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4642097 - 02/05/24 12:38 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
It used to be no, you could not switch tags and get these. But it was changed in 1.32 I think.

77 years after the last shot, and we have struck Ottos twice, and essentially carved them up in to three pieces. We had been in limbo for fifty years, as all of my allies showed red Xs due to debt. Ottomans would not declare on me, which is what I needed, in order to make it a defensive war. My allies were Gujarat, France, Portugal and Russia. I went over the dip limit and added Commonwealth later. I had ditched Castile earlier. They were cursed this run. And as you can see they are nearly gone from Europe. A far cry from the dominant Spain they usually become. Shows how variable this game can be. I felt bad to cast them out, but they were an anchor on my plans and had to go.

The first war against Ottos was a proxy war through Tunis. I could get Gujarat to join this war, but they would not join a direct war on Ottomans due to opinion of enemies. This war was massive, and risky, but by 1730 I was thinking I had better get a move on, now or never, if I was to hit my objectives before time ran out. From this Tunisian war we were able to take the Syrian coast and Antioch (objective), and just kept going, occupying Anatolia and sniping Constantinople (objective)! I had not expected to be able to get this in the first war, and that is a huge hit to Ottomans, to lose their capital, and probably the finest city in the world. Constantinople is an obsession of mine in EU IV. In any run I think of how I might grab it, but usually it's unwise. But as Aksum, it is ours smile

Starting as Ethiopia and holding cores on Alexandria, Antioch and Constantinople gets the Prestor John achievement.

Hey, the grenade that brother Maynard brought to use against the killer rabbit in Monty Python was the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, wasn't it?

"O Lord, bless this Thy Hand Grenade that, with it, Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits in Thy mercy." And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and large chu—

MAYNARD: Skip a bit, Brother.

SECOND BROTHER: And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shalt be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."

MAYNARD: Amen.

KNIGHTS: Amen.

ARTHUR: Right! One... two... five!
GALAHAD: Three, sir!

ARTHUR: Three!

What was I on about? Oh yeah...

When the truce ticked off, we struck again, this time with France on our side and ripped them apart. Cut a swath to the Black Sea, grabbing the final holy site to get the Blessed Nation achievement for being Coptic and holding all five sites.

Idea groups are Quality, Maritime, Administrative, Quantity, Espionage, Economic and Offensive so far.

Quality first since Ethiopia starts with both a strong army and navy, and this group buffs both. Quantity was needed to expand our force limits and give me a boost to manpower, which was a weakness. Admin was great to cut expansion costs. Espionage was great too, allowing faster claims, cheaper covert actions and conducting counter-espionage on Ottomans. We kept discovering their agents and preventing them from sowing discontent, slandering merchants and all the little ways they can undermine you on the sly. Economic helped keep inflation in check, as we make a lot of money from gold mines. Offensive dovetailed nicely with the late game, as this combined with high tradition is popping three-star generals left and right.

Here's the geo-political in 1764. Usually I'd call time with all objectives in the bag but I'll keep going for a bit and see if we can clean up some of the gore and make Aksum a truly glorious empire.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files Aksum1764.jpg

#4642137 - 02/06/24 06:16 AM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
After that war with Ottomans, I filled the time with a couple of regional wars, including Zimbabwe, who had taken over Castile's cape colony there as Castile fell apart. Together with allies France and Portugal we have a good grip on the continent of Africa.

In the wake of our war with Ottomans, Great Britain of all nations decided to hit them during our peace. They also hit Tunisia in the wake of my war with them. We crushed both so completely that they were easy marks. GB got territory in Greece and Tunisia, as well as some of the islands in the Med dammit. Very opportunistic and I cannot say I've ever seen them taking territory in the Med unless it was a subject integration. They were still at it with Ottomans when my truce ended, so we struck again and between our alliances we carpeted everything. But now neither of us had enough warscore to get what we wanted and an occupation staring contest happened and for a decade we both sat on Ottos, waiting for the other to peace out. I finally did as it was rather silly.

In the previous peace deal with ottos I had wanted to take all of Arabia and Anatolia to clean up my map gore, but of course that's too much warscore for one war. So I took all the coast and borderlands, landlocking these regions inside my borders. That was a good move, as when England hit them they could not also siege down these lands, taking them and fouling my borders and frankly ticking me off. I had ringed Ottos capital so GB couldn't reach it, and since their CB was Imperialism they couldn't actually reach their war goal. After I peaced out Ottos capital would have moved and I guess they got it in the end.

This was a superb run. Ethiopia into Aksum is super strong. Everything is in place right from the off to snowball. Ottomans and Mamluks loom large on the horizon, and I know many players like to take on Mamluks as early as possible, during their first Ottomans war to take advantage. I took a different route. Ethiopia isn't very big at the start, just a few provinces, and have two small vassals. But they have a good force limit, and are significantly stronger than the regional rivals. So my plan was to take the horn, and down the east coast to the gold mines there. Each of these enemies were no match. By moving quickly none could get too big before we got there. Taking over the Zanzibar trade node was the strategic priority here, as eventually I would make it my collecting trade port.

With east Africa under control, we crossed the Gate of Tears to start chipping away at the Arabia coast. By now we had more or less matched Mamluks in strength and we hit them with the goal of taking over Egypt. Gotta beat Ottos to it, and honestly they were dragging their heels and I was lucky to get it rather easily, but not really, but easier than taking it from ottomans at that point. Reaching the Med Sea and capturing Cairo and Alexandria were key objectives and now were becoming a player on the world stage, on the great powers list. We finished third, behind France and Great Britain.

Once we had Egypt locked down it was matter of alternating expansion wars on different fronts to control the AE. We slowly moved in to west Africa, took more of the Arabian and red sea coasts, moved on Tunisia. Then hit Ottos and that was the do or die moment, but we won that war and eclipsed them. I extensively used the Espionage options against them. Espionage is way better than it used to be. we kept them from undermining us with counter-espionage, you get 33% from the idea group, and I ran a diplomat doing it full time too for a total of 66% and that worked perfectly., and we hit them with sabotage reputation, sow discontent, sabotage recruitment, slander merchants. Hard to say what effect this has in the end, but it must add up over time.

Our troops were a little better than average. I maxed professionalism, which I always try to do as it's free. Had good tradition and high discipline, but average morale even with max prestige and running a morale advisor. But we had enough bonuses to win most field battles. In the end we had force limits of 800k troops and 800 ships. A superior economy due to the gold, the excellent configuration of regional trade nodes and a very strong production game. You gotta build this with buildings, light ships and dev, but money was no problem past the first few years.

This was my second attempt with Ethiopia and I talked before about how I quit the first one. This time I took a little different approach and it worked out well. Here's the geo-political situation in 1810 and the glorious Aksumite Empire

[Linked Image]

Attached Files Aksum1810.jpg

#4642211 - 02/07/24 01:54 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
For my next act, I am switching it up and started a run as Bohemia. Many years ago I did an Emperor run as Austria, and you might recall it JC as I posted a shot of a unified HRE, and you said something like "in other words, Europe". Haha, yes it was.

I don't have such grand plans this time around, but let's see where it leads. I am going for the Czechs and Balances achievement, which requires being Bohemia and granting two privileges to every estate and having at least 50% crown land. That should be fairly easy honestly as long as I don't get run over. A couple others are in my sights if possible. Black Jack, which requires having 21 subjects, and there's one for Bohemia to own Dublin, but we will see about that one.

Bohemia starts in a good position, astride the HRE and Polish lands. Austria is the big dog at the start, and is Emperor. But we want to depose them and ascend. By 1470 I had been elected. The best way to do this is to ally electors, so that's what I did, bringing aboard Palatinate, Trier and Mainz. Raise relations and before too long they will vote for you. I also cast a vote for me. Then just wait for the Habsburg on the throne to kick the bucket. With four votes the elections are locked up and can only be fouled by a regency. At this point, in 1510, all electors are on board. Nice.

I have managed to get a Habsburg on my own throne too, so this run should be fertile fields for personal unions. Let us pray.

As Emperor I get several strong bonuses, including force limit and manpower. So I don't really need to expand to have a strong army. When coronated we had a force limit of about 24 which instantly doubled, making us the most powerful nation in Europe, even stronger than France. Conversely, the opposite happened to Austria when they lost the position, and suddenly they were looking very pedestrian indeed.

Opening move was to be declaring on Hungary, as owning the state of Slovakia would in turn grant a restore union CB over them from the mission tree. But literally on the eve of the war they fell under a PU with Austria. That was the worst possible thing to happen, and as Austria was currently my ally, this had to be put on the back burner. We would return to this in a bit.

Mission trees are central to gameplay now. For me, it's a love-hate sort of thing. I love what they give me, often permanent claims over regions I want, and subjugation and restore union CBs on potential targets among other rewards. But I don't like the AI having these, as it further railroads the AI path to expansion and conquest. I saw that I could get a restore union CB on Poland once I had integrated my two starting vassals in Silesia. So I did that, and then struck Poland/Lithuania, forcing them in to a union. They did not like this. At all. But they've now come around.

So before 1500 we had become Emperor and had PLC as a junior subject. This is how we do it. We also took some of Saxony, who were now a former elector, which I gave instead to Wurttenburg.

After gaining the union over PLC, Austria got her panties in a bunch and broke the alliance. After waiting for the truce to expire, we struck them with our powerful alliance, annexing Slovakia and taking one Austrian province. The mission tree requirements are now met, but if Hungary is a subject, claiming the mission would only grant permanent claims. If I wait until Hungary are independent, then it turns in to a restore union CB. So we will look to make that happen, Austria will be keen to integrate before then.

The Reformation has now appeared, and this is the biggest challenge I will face I think. How to stamp it out, keep a unified Catholic HRE and maybe even prevent the league war. I must be the Crusader King. Plans are already afoot.

#4642236 - 02/07/24 10:14 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
You're on fire here DB! Looks like you've got a real EUIV thing going.
Thanks for the AARs (is it a DAR when the game is still going on?), they are good reads!

-Robert Heinlein
#4642259 - 02/08/24 12:48 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
En fuego. Yeah, I got bit bad, but I'm having a blast with it. This game engages my brain in a way others do not. It's honestly like a drug. Like a dopamine hit. When I fire it up and am faced with a hundred choices and decisions and things to consider it just suits me so well. Hard to describe, but I like it.

The Reformation hit around 1505 with the first Protestant center of reformation popping up in Wolgast on the southern Baltic Coast. How I approach it depends on which nation I am playing, and whether I have a vested interest in the outcome of the league war. As Brandenburg for example I am looking to form Prussia, and will want to see a successful reformation and flip religion. As France, I can go either way. If it hits me, I'll flip.If not, stay Catholic. Each run is different, and my goals change so I usually take it as it comes.

As Emperor, there is no choice. Well there is, but if I want to stay Emperor I must oppose it and attempt to stamp out the heresies. Easier said than done. As Emperor I have a special mechanic called Imperial Authority. This is what can be spent to pass Imperial reforms, which I want to do. If successful, I can eventually unite the HRE under my banner, and all princes swear fealty to me. This is the goal, revoking the Privilegia. When the reformation begins to convert nations I begin to lose Imperial Authority due to having heretical princes in the HRE. The more there are, the faster it decays and can delay or prevent me from passing more reforms. So therefore it is in Bohemia's interests to attempt to force religion on these heretics and call them back to the flock.

Additionally, I can attempt to forestall the league wars indefinitely, but this is tricky. In order for the leagues to begin forming, there must be at least one Protestant elector. It used to be (and I will attempt to confirm if it still works this way so I don't base plans on obsolete mechanics) that Reformed princes cannot lead the league. So if I can prevent any electors from flipping to Protestant, the leagues will never form, and the Diet of Wien will fire in 1635, with Catholicism the official religion of the HRE. Now usually I want a league war. It really spices up the game, as the whole of Europe erupts in flame. But as Emperor I see it all a little differently. A massive religious struggle, and probably with Ottomans, France and Russia on the other side, is not in my best interests. It would set me back decades, even if we won, and would lead to a fractured HRE. So my aim has to be to prevent it.

So much depends on where the Centers of Reformation spawn. We have no control over this, and must react accordingly when they appear. In this run, I got very, very lucky. The first Protestant center was in Wolgast, as noted above, owned by Lubeck. The second popped in Stockholm owned by Sweden and the third in Østjylland, Denmark. Later, the Reformation branches out and then three Reformed CoRs spawn. these popped up in Riga, Switzerland and Scotland. Only the Swiss CoR is a big problem. The rest were within reach.

In order to be the Crusader King I had to take Religious idea group. CoRs get a -5% malus to missionary strength, and without the additional 3% you get from Religious, I doubt it would be possible to convert these provinces, and even if you could scratch out enough to get it started it would take many years. And in that time it would convert alot more provinces. So you gotta take Religious. In addition it also grants Deus Vult as the final idea, which gives a Holy War CB on all neighboring heretics and heathens. Yes, please.

The best possible CoR spawn is in a OPM. By forcing religion in the peace deal, the target will convert, and since the CoR is in their capital it is destroyed. Sweden was a tougher nut to crack. The CoR was in their capital, but as a large nation I could not get enough warscore to force religion, which sucked. I had them 100% occupied with no army left and still couldn't do it. So I had no choice but to take Stockholm and convert it myself. The Danish CoR required taking Jutland and again converting the province myself after the zeal expired. All the while I am chaining wars against heretic princes, forcing religion in the peace deals, and forcing them to release nations, which I then hit tin turn, enforcing religion in the peace treaty.

And by 1550 we had destroyed all Protestant CoRs and the Reformed one in Riga, leaving two Reformed CoRs in Switzerland and Scotland. Superb!

I suppose there's always a chance one of the electors can become Protestant by event, but it is no longer possible for them to be flipped by a CoR. Currently, all electors are Catholic,and if this remains, then I will have prevented the formation of the religious leagues for the first time in nearly 4,000 hours of playing EU IV.

Here's the geo-political in 1556. We have needed to expand near the Baltic to get borders with as many heretics as possible, and kill the centers. I took Gotland to be my naval base. Because the Protestant centers were all fairly close and to my north the entire matter was simplified, and I feel super fortunate with how it played out. Poland and Lithuania are my junior subjects. Allies are England, Spain, Mainz, Trier, Palatinate and the Pope.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files Bohemia1555.jpg

#4642451 - 02/12/24 01:56 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
We ended up revoking in 1670, which means all princes who agree to it become my vassals. All but three did, and the three rebellious nations were quickly gobbled up and split between the nations who stuck with us. Revoking is extremely strong, probably the most powerful button press in the game. With the Influence idea group I get bonus force limit and money bonuses from vassals and when I flipped the switch my own force limit went from 120 to 600+. Amazing. Just super strong. I then started declaring wars on huge nations like Ottomans, France and Russia and my vassal swarm just picked the carcass clean like piranhas. Overall, this gave me about 2 million troops not counting allies. Just ridiculous.

And I am the Crusader King. Not a single province in Europe (and beyond) are not Catholic. I crushed the Reformation and prevented the evangelical league from even forming. First time I have ever seen this. What a great run.

#4642517 - 02/13/24 10:54 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Not bad! Got a map picture? Kinda wonder what the borders look like. I imagine Bohemia pretty much owns the map?
With that kind of force, and being able to take on Ottos etc, you should pretty much own Europe right?
So is the national anthem in fact "Bohemian Rhapsody?"

-Robert Heinlein
#4642529 - 02/14/24 12:55 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thunderbolt and lightning, very, very frightening

I do have screenshots

This is my Bohemia in the 1700s. Maybe not all that impressive to look at, but the empire stretches from Stockholm to Constantinople. Croatia is my released and fed vassal. Poland and Lithuania are junior partners. And all small nations between Bohemia and France are my vassals. We had just invaded northern Italy in the last war.

[Linked Image]

The Pope he would be so pleased. There are two islands, Bornholm in the Baltic and the Isle of Mann, which are still Protestant and Reformed, respectively. We will build memorials, Remembering the Reformation, in these locations so that future generations can see the folly of defying the Crusader King.

[Linked Image]

My current run is as Delhi. It's an interesting start. We had about four provinces near the D in Delhi. We had a larger and disloyal vassal, Sirhind. Three months after the start, Sirhind declared war on me! And they have a nasty three-star general and I lost the first start and did it again, this time securing a couple allies and the second war we won, with me having been stack wiped and I just watched it all unfold,as my allies won the war and sieged down all of the vassal's provinces, which just happen to be my cores and some of the richest land in the world. Farmlands, silk, monuments.A supercharged start if you win that first war.

And from there we have expanded quite a bit. We've been very aggressive, nearly always at war on one front or the other. I am gunning for the Emperor of Hindustan achievement, which requires starting as Delhi and forming that nation. So far so good. We've managed to isolate Vijayanagar, cut them off from further expansion, and an invasion is imminent. Baluchistan is my released and fed vassal, a buffer state against threats from the west..

[Linked Image]

Attached Files Bohemia.jpgCatholic.jpgDelhi1647.jpg

#4642689 - 02/17/24 12:32 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
That led to this. A really good run, one of the rare ones where everything I attempted came off according to plan. No dramas, no disasters. Just steady expansion until all of India fell under our rule. India is super rich, and has fantastic trade goods. Lots of monuments around. Starting so small (as Delhi) is the biggest challenge since there are a number of stronger nations around you, so you have to tread lightly. But once you are able to essentially match the biggest rivals in power it can begin to snowball.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files Hindustan.jpg

#4642778 - 02/19/24 01:53 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
The Bohemia run looked interesting. Amazing how those borders become. It's looking like the Hindustan run is going to be epic! Ottos looks like they are on a bit of a roll - are they a threat, or are you in good standing with them?

-Robert Heinlein
#4642781 - 02/19/24 03:17 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Ottomans were an ally at this point. They were most of the game, but never helped me once in my wars due to distance war modifier. I helped them a few times.

For a long time Ottomans had a malus as they desired my vassal Baluchistan's provinces, and broke our alliance at one point over this. I was hesitant to integrate the vassal as now I would directly own the same provinces. But I did so anyway and as soon as I did the modifier went away. That was unexpected.

That Hindustan run is done, and that shot is the final state. Nothing more I want to do with this one. All objectives were met.

For my next act I have started a run as Kilwa. I'm playing them like an east African Portugal. Going very well so far. My goal is to close off the Indian ocean and the spice islands to European scoundrels. Still quite a few openings yet to close, but we are getting there. I doubt I can do it entirely, and they can always come around the other way via the new world. But our position gives us a head start.

#4642848 - 02/21/24 01:20 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
That Kilwa run is done. Managed to grab Queen of Mercury for starting as Kilwa and having cores on Zanzibar (owned at start) and Thana (in India). Also got Hard Bargaining for spreading my religion to five provinces through trading. There's one more I can get, Swahili Persuasion for converting all of Indonesia and Moluccas, but that would take a long time, so I moved on for now. But it was a super run. Didn't manage to shut the Euros out of the Indian Ocean completely. Portugal got in around the Cape. But Spain had to come round by Hawaii, and the rest never got in at all. pretty cool. Owned all of Australia, all of Sumatra and lots more. All done by 1575.

The next run I did was one of the easiest I have attempted. To the Bone requires starting as Bone (two-province minor on Sulawesi in Indonesia) and using the pillage capital mechanic seven times. I flipped to a pirate republic, which is super fun, and first time since I did so in the Caribbean many years ago, which you commented on JC at the time. In this run I never even left my starting island, just beating up on my neighbors over a series of wars until I pillaged seven times. Done in 1478. Yarr

#4642961 - 02/23/24 03:54 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Did another run, and a different sort for me. Something came over me and I had this urge to play Aragon and form Spain. I didn't pick the achievement first, and frankly I've played Spain so often that there aren't many left to get.

Most players seem to prefer Castile, but I like Aragon better. You don't have Castile's disasters to deal with, and can still get the Iberian Wedding. You start with a PU over Naples, and get a PU over Navarra from the mission tree, and a Restore Union CB over Portugal too, so by 1470 I had all four. That's a supercharged start, and we were number one Great Power by this stage and never lost it. Eventually we integrated Portugal since they were rebellious at times, which gave me control over all of their CNs.

I was angling for Spain is the Emperor and nearly got it, but an heir was born. I did manage to grab the Power of Three achievement for having crown, private enterprise and self governing colonies. I just changed type after integrating Portugal.

Now we are attempting For the Emperor for the third time. This requires forming Prussia, reaching empire rank and having 40k marines. Got a great start but things are not looking all that great at the mo. My position is precarious.

#4643100 - 02/26/24 02:39 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Third time's a charm!

My third attempt at For the Emperor worked out well. This achievement requires you to form Prussia, reach empire rank and have 40,000 marines.

I played as Brandenburg, but you can start as several nations and form Prussia. Poland, Teutonic Order and probably more. Got off to a very good start, gobbling up the Wolgast/Pomeranian lands in short order and allying Emperor Austria, which is key since you won't need to worry about unlawful territory when allied to the emperor. In a chain of wars we expanded east to Konigsberg as quickly as possible since you need this province to form Prussia.

When the Reformation hit we quickly flipped to Protestant. As an elector this made me eligible to lead the evangelical union, but I waited to see who joined. France was my ally and I wanted to see which side they joined. I had a vested interest in a heretic victory but the war kicked off before France joined, so I was out too. Ottomans were on the Protestant side, but leader Bohemia kicked it off while Ottos were finishing up a quick war against a beylik, so Ottos were out. If Bohemia has just waited a week...

So the heretics were crushed and Catholic was official. Not a big deal I thought, as I didn't want to be emperor anyway. But this meant I lost elector status. Didn't care about that either. But as a stinking lowly prince I was reverted to duchy rank (from kingdom). This was a killer since Prussia has heavy penalties with governing capacity. Before the league war I was sitting at 299/300. After, it was 299/200 and massive penalties to costs. I hadn't thought about this beforehand and it was painful.

I need to reach empire rank for the achievement and now I've been busted to duchy! Wrong direction

The governing capacity really put the brakes on expansion, so I got around it by forcing some vassals. Denmark, Magdeburg and Mozovia were all vassalized and I could plan to integrate them later after I fixed my government rank issue.

To do that I had to eventually leave the HRE, which restored kingdom, and then it was just a matter of reaching 1000 dev through expansion, development and integration of my vassals. Fired the achievement around 1700. To raise marines you need to take either Maritime or Naval or both. Each idea set gives +25% marine force limit. So to recruit 40k you need a force limit of 160k if you take one of those idea groups (25%) or 80k if you take both idea groups (50%). I took Maritime so need to hit 160k force limit.

Having done this now I see there are two ways to do it. My slow way, or the express route which would require becoming Emperor (which gives you the empire rank early), and taking both Maritime and Naval. Doing it this way you could hit the achievement in the mid 1500s, but who takes Maritime AND Naval as freakin' Prussia? I mean right?

In all a super run and I am Prussia. Superior troops, but the Prussian Monarchy government form is one of the few that don't just encourage tall-ish play, but demand it. For the Emperor isn't all that difficult, but there are a number of pitfalls along the way, and you have to rise while surrounded by larger and hostile nations, not to mention the challenges of expanding in the HRE. It's a long-play, seeing things a hundred years in advance and having the patience to let it come to you. Just .7% of players have this one.

For my next act I have started a run as Adal, a sultanate in the African horn going for the Golden Horn achievement. Off to a good start, but I've said that before....

(Actually, if you look at the last screen shot posted, I have carved out nearly an identical Adal as the AI did there, by 1470)

Page 47 of 49 1 2 45 46 47 48 49

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.