Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4642808 - 02/20/24 02:43 PM AI never engages  
parazaine Offline
parazaine  Offline

I have read the threads about the active status of the squadron so im aware of that, but even when active and on a scramble mission AND with a call out by the ai for enemy contact...they ignore the enemy? i have flown both a 'standard' career and a battle of france career and only spotted the enemy twice. The ai ignored them until i actively engaged leading to my squadron spread all over the battlefield and picked off by 109's. I am attempting to fly as realistically as possible with minimal to no labels but even so with dots on, i have never seen the enemy...i only spotted them once by using labels....needless to say the ai didnt.

Either this is expected behaviour and im unlucky or i need to work on my tactical awareness, but what is the ai's excuse?

Even with all the explanations i have read about the possible reasons for lack of action....something still seems off imo.

#4642813 - 02/20/24 04:13 PM Re: AI never engages [Re: parazaine]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Well firstly install the latest update for BoF V1.04 you will engage a lot more in BoB at least. No it's not normal that they "never" engage. Not sure why that is, but maybe switch to being leader more, and you can order an attack yourself, using the TAC briefly.
Instructions in the WOTR FAQ on the support page of the WOTR website. Section 20B goes over using RDF and setting yourself as leader etc. BTW there is morale involved too, but if you want them to engage no matter what you can also set "AI always engages" in Workshops settings - provided they see the enemy (less cloud etc, even thin cloud can block the AI vision sometimes).

BTW when you say you didn't spot the enemy often, without labels etc, and the AI didn't - that's good -- the AI mimic you somewhat then smile. Better than robot laser eyed AI in most sims. We are aiming for more lifelike behaviour with AI where possible.

If you want to see more enemy more easily, then remember you are on a limited view, limited resolution computer screen so to help do you use Head tracking? If not a TrackIR compatible device is VERY highly recommended it will make spotting much better. Also, you can zoom in and out with mouse quickly in different spots in the sky if you do not.

The squadron will get spread as it was in RL when you engage, many real life pilots mention looking around after a few seconds of action and finding an empty sky. Putting labels onto "activity" mode will show more distant enemies, which may help. You can cycle the label modes (shift+L).

If you are playing with no TAC or labels, yes it will be tough. You can easily fly past someone and not see them. I even have seen WW2 Battle of Britain interviews with pilots that say they often couldn't even see a whole bomber formation until the flak started on them to point out where they were. To more easily find them, you should use the RDF feature we added since V1.19. Best to be the leader then you can use the RDF call in a Vector to the enemy - on longer missions you can call for vector updates then change your heading accordingly (don't use autopilot).

Last edited by Polovski; 02/20/24 04:26 PM. Reason: Added more stuff..

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4642819 - 02/20/24 04:46 PM Re: AI never engages [Re: parazaine]  
parazaine Offline
parazaine  Offline

Many thanks for the reply and the advice....i should have specified i am using Track IR 5, but i did think the AI always engages referred to the enemy AI. I am using a HOTAS with zoom bound to two buttons with the advanced option for multiple button presses so it behaves like mouse zoom. I think basically its my own skill level BUT im not completely new to flight simming, i was active in J2 squad in Rise of Flight for a few years, although its been many since i played and my eyes have not aged well.

I would also like to add what a superb series of games (i also own WOFF) this is. Yes i knew no TAC labels/just dots would be difficult, just was wondering if everything was working as intended....from your reply, and as i suspected, it is....i also see you addressed an issue in the latest patch that led to more inactive patrols and havent played yet since applying the patch.

Update : Since the patch things seem to have improved

Last edited by parazaine; 02/20/24 06:53 PM.
#4642838 - 02/21/24 09:37 AM Re: AI never engages [Re: parazaine]  
RedOneAlpha Online content
RedOneAlpha  Online Content

LEGE
Is this Improvement (patch) available to those who don´t have the France expansion? Or does the basic WOTR module not have theses Issues? Sorry for asking but haven't played WOTR enough to tell yet.

Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, Sapphire Pulse AMD RX 6700 12GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB, 447GB SSD´s, Samsung G6 32" , Logitech G13, G502, Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Simagic Alpha Mini, and Formula Extreme FX, DC Simracing DC1 pedals, GT Omega ART cockpit, TrackIR 5.0.
AUDIO: Aiyima A07 Max, Topping E50 and L50 stack, Polk Audio Signature Elite ES20 , and Shennheiser HD 560s. DAP: Hiby R3, Hiby Seeds, and iBasso IT01, Sharp MD-MT 80H Minidisc.
#4642843 - 02/21/24 11:52 AM Re: AI never engages [Re: parazaine]  
parazaine Offline
parazaine  Offline

Its for the Battle of France only i believe but its a question the devs can answer better than me

#4642875 - 02/21/24 09:57 PM Re: AI never engages [Re: parazaine]  

LEGE
Originally Posted by parazaine
Its for the Battle of France only i believe but its a question the devs can answer better than me

Thanks anyway thumbsup

Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, Sapphire Pulse AMD RX 6700 12GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB, 447GB SSD´s, Samsung G6 32" , Logitech G13, G502, Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Simagic Alpha Mini, and Formula Extreme FX, DC Simracing DC1 pedals, GT Omega ART cockpit, TrackIR 5.0.
AUDIO: Aiyima A07 Max, Topping E50 and L50 stack, Polk Audio Signature Elite ES20 , and Shennheiser HD 560s. DAP: Hiby R3, Hiby Seeds, and iBasso IT01, Sharp MD-MT 80H Minidisc.
#4642881 - 02/21/24 10:57 PM Re: AI never engages [Re: parazaine]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

@Red, patch 1.04 is for BoF only (i.e., for WoTR Phase Two) - the original WoTR (Phase One) is no longer being patched beyond the last patch that was released for it (patch 1.25).

Good patching to all,
smile2

Last edited by VonS; 02/21/24 10:58 PM. Reason: Fixed info. regarding patch nos.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4642888 - 02/22/24 08:00 AM Re: AI never engages [Re: VonS]  

LEGE
Originally Posted by VonS
@Red, patch 1.04 is for BoF only (i.e., for WoTR Phase Two) - the original WoTR (Phase One) is no longer being patched beyond the last patch that was released for it (patch 1.25).

Good patching to all,
smile2

Ok thank you.

Cheers

#4642900 - 02/22/24 01:05 PM Re: AI never engages [Re: RedOneAlpha]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Originally Posted by RedOneAlpha
Is this Improvement (patch) available to those who don´t have the France expansion? Or does the basic WOTR module not have theses Issues? Sorry for asking but haven't played WOTR enough to tell yet.

Battle of France only, it's not needed for WOTR anyway, the issue was introduced with the massive changes needed to include BoF features.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4642901 - 02/22/24 01:10 PM Re: AI never engages [Re: parazaine]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Originally Posted by parazaine
Many thanks for the reply and the advice....i should have specified i am using Track IR 5, but i did think the AI always engages referred to the enemy AI. I am using a HOTAS with zoom bound to two buttons with the advanced option for multiple button presses so it behaves like mouse zoom. I think basically its my own skill level BUT im not completely new to flight simming, i was active in J2 squad in Rise of Flight for a few years, although its been many since i played and my eyes have not aged well.

I would also like to add what a superb series of games (i also own WOFF) this is. Yes i knew no TAC labels/just dots would be difficult, just was wondering if everything was working as intended....from your reply, and as i suspected, it is....i also see you addressed an issue in the latest patch that led to more inactive patrols and havent played yet since applying the patch.

Update : Since the patch things seem to have improved

Thanks parazaine for the comments, glad you enjoy the series. The "AI always engages" will apply to all, and it also means they ignore morale issues, ignore their own safety, ignore the fact they may be damaged etc. It will also apply to YOUR aircraft if you switch to Autopilot. Basically you will remove (some) of the features of the AI, and make them a little more robotic like in most other sims. They will still be smart in many other aspects.. Vision is a big part too, that will still apply. There are ways to make their vision better, but usually not a great idea.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4642926 - 02/22/24 11:19 PM Re: AI never engages [Re: parazaine]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
You can increase the distance that the 'dot' labels show up in the workshop. I am not sure what is realistic but I just increased mine from 5000 metres to 6000 metres, hoping to get a bit more awareness of aircraft in my vicinity.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Incredible historical ironies
by PanzerMeyer. 04/03/24 01:56 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.