Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4638764 - 11/23/23 02:58 AM One Of The Many  
Boom Offline
Boom  Offline

Culcairn
I'm guessing most here like to get into the thick of things and see just how successful they can be regarding kills, leadership, medals etc. Gotta say that's been true of me.

But lately I've decided to take a different tack. I'm flying a career like most 'average' pilots would have done. Not at all gun ho, rather just trying to survive and do my bit.
And it's quite tough at times, given I consider myself quite a capable pilot with literally thousands of hours flying time over the last 20 odd years.

But it is fun! I'm three (3) months into a career with N26 based at La Bonnemaison Ferme in the Marne sector, it now being June 1917. I've dramatically toned down my skill level, make mistakes constantly in combat like not seeing the enemy until fired upon, panicking, terrible flying with cross controls, spins, firing from too great a distance, firing long bursts, react slowly to changing situations, losing sight of everyone, getting lost and so on.

Yet somehow I've managed to stay alive, although we have lost 3 killed and 4 wounded so far. I've had two aeroplanes written off due to damage sustained in combat, crashed one and have yet to even hit an enemy, let alone claim a kill. I've sure my CO hates the sight of me. smile

But it is an interesting exercise. It has really made me appreciate the true courage of any one pilot who flew in The Great War, especially those who didn't have that gift to live long enough to gain the skills necessary, or simply have the inate ability to become one of the hunters; rather htan the hunted.

Am really interested to see how long I can survive, it's surprisingly stressful smile

"Somewhere out there is page 6!"
"But Emillo you promised ....... it's postpone"
ASWWIAH Member
#4638765 - 11/23/23 03:12 AM Re: One Of The Many [Re: Boom]  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
Originally Posted by Boom
I'm guessing most here like to get into the thick of things and see just how successful they can be regarding kills, leadership, medals etc. Gotta say that's been true of me.

But lately I've decided to take a different tack. I'm flying a career like most 'average' pilots would have done. Not at all gun ho, rather just trying to survive and do my bit.
And it's quite tough at times, given I consider myself quite a capable pilot with literally thousands of hours flying time over the last 20 odd years.

But it is fun! I'm three (3) months into a career with N26 based at La Bonnemaison Ferme in the Marne sector, it now being June 1917. I've dramatically toned down my skill level, make mistakes constantly in combat like not seeing the enemy until fired upon, panicking, terrible flying with cross controls, spins, firing from too great a distance, firing long bursts, react slowly to changing situations, losing sight of everyone, getting lost and so on.

Yet somehow I've managed to stay alive, although we have lost 3 killed and 4 wounded so far. I've had two aeroplanes written off due to damage sustained in combat, crashed one and have yet to even hit an enemy, let alone claim a kill. I've sure my CO hates the sight of me. smile

But it is an interesting exercise. It has really made me appreciate the true courage of any one pilot who flew in The Great War, especially those who didn't have that gift to live long enough to gain the skills necessary, or simply have the inate ability to become one of the hunters; rather htan the hunted.

Am really interested to see how long I can survive, it's surprisingly stressful smile

I really like this idea, Boom. I've often thought about how many more years of practice I've had from the safety of my computer vs the actual aviators we model ourselves after when we take off in a sim. If I add it up, I started playing FWW flying games in 1995 with Wings of Glory. That's 28 years ago... If you served from day one of hostilities and took your last sortie just before 11AM on November 11, 1918, you'd have had 1563 days of potential flying.

If I pick a random date back in 1995, because I sure don't remember the exact date I grabbed the demo CD that had Wings of Glory on it... I've had roughly 10,194 days of potential flight time. Or better than 10x more time to figure this whole thing out. So I often try to pretend I'm more of a newcomer - before the red mist descends anyway... lol

You've hit on something very Buddhist, Boom - there's a lot of Beginner's Mind in your approach. I like that!

#4638792 - 11/23/23 08:07 PM Re: One Of The Many [Re: Boom]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
I have always played the 'survival' method in any flight sim game... coupled with of course the ability to complete the mission objective if possible.
Survival is paramount though because I always play 'dead is dead'... if I get killed that's it, career ended.

#4638818 - 11/24/23 09:45 AM Re: One Of The Many [Re: Boom]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

BTW it's also why we make the option in pilot creation, when you enter your name etc the last option allows you to set your player as Rookie, or Veteran. So if you use "Autopilot" it will behave accordingly.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4638894 - 11/25/23 09:16 PM Re: One Of The Many [Re: Boom]  
Becker01 Offline
Becker01  Offline

Yes, and as @Trooper has written, fly consistently with "Dead is Dead" - mode.

Greetings!

#4638911 - 11/26/23 12:06 AM Re: One Of The Many [Re: Polovski]  
Boom Offline
Boom  Offline

Culcairn
Oh I've always flown DID mode.

"Somewhere out there is page 6!"
"But Emillo you promised ....... it's postpone"
ASWWIAH Member
#4638922 - 11/26/23 03:46 PM Re: One Of The Many [Re: Boom]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
Originally Posted by Boom

Re: the way you are flying. Are you intentionally doing these things? I.e., pretending not to see the enemy until fired upon, intentionally cross controlling, intentionally entering disadvantageous spins, pretending to lose SA, intentionally getting lost, etc.? Seems that way. If so, purposefully screwing up isn't realistic because you decide where/when/how these things will happen, while a neophyte who has been poorly trained or has little experience does not. But, to be clear, the contentious nature of online social interaction forces me to clarify that I'm not saying you can't fly that way--of course you can fly any way you like. And if you are having a great time doing so, so much the better! smile2

Try this one: utilize all your thousands of hours and fly a BE2c career starting in April 1917. In fact, I think I will, too. I've done it before and it's #%&*$# hairy/scary/exciting.

EDIT: The above word edited by this site is delta alpha mike november. It's not as if I used the "f-bomb" or anything. rolleyes

Last edited by JFM; 11/26/23 03:49 PM.
#4638945 - 11/27/23 10:26 AM Re: One Of The Many [Re: Boom]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
I can't believe that word got dumbed out... it's not a swear word...

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus