#4627693 - 05/30/23 04:53 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
A worthy choice.

Checo not only didn't manage to score any points for the team, he also gave everyone in the paddock a look at his floor when they hoisted it 771 feet in the air.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4627717 - 05/30/23 08:07 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
A truly well deserved and overdue win for Newgarden. Ferruchi was also strong all day.

Watching the amount of weaving, introduced last year by Ericsson, does give me a coldsweat chill though. It seems like tempting fate and a dreadful, horrible accident right up against the wall separating pit-entry from race track.

It is probably a consequence of everyone in the field being so closely matched when running the same chassis and aero specs, and when everyone can max the speed thus leaving blocking as the last effective tactic against drafting past.

Three red flags is also a symptom of an underlying problem. Why do drivers go absolutely mental for the last 50 laps? I think the reason is the same that I just mentioned in the previous paragraph. That, and desperation.

While the last restart certainly added to the drama and offered a green-flag finish I’m not sure the race shouldn’t just have ended under yellow.

While introducing and policing regulations that would prohibit more that the two customary lane changes; exiting the last corner cutting down on the straight and going high further down the straight preparing for corner entry, and absolutely making the utilisation of the area of the race track right in front of the pit entry a no-go area would initially rob the race of some drama and spectacle, in the long run I think it might just entice or incite just that little extra common sense and reasonable driver behavior possibly saving a life somewhere down the line.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4627725 - 05/30/23 11:49 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
The weaving also breaks up the draft.

Last edited by KraziKanuK; 05/30/23 11:50 PM.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4627756 - 05/31/23 12:25 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Back at it this week boys. Catalunya is the venue. I keep talking about it, but the elimination of the final chicane should make for much better racing. Turn 1 will be a better overtaking spot than it's been in 20 years as a result. Finally we get away from temporary street circuits and on to a proper road course. Of course Imola would have been, but alas.

Get your fantasy sorted.

#4627840 - 06/01/23 10:31 AM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
Really curious of the new overtaking possibility, if there is that is.

I still expect a RB 1/2 and Alo a distant 3rd, at best a contest between Alo and Per.

Perhaps midfield will prevent the usual snooze fest that Spain is ?

#4627897 - 06/02/23 12:38 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
So much better without that final chicane, isn't it?

Max looked untouchable in FP1, but there's still time for the others to close that gap. But he threw down a marker here. Ferrari and Merc both look off the pace. Alpine continue to improve. Aston Martin a bit of a regression to the mean, but it's only first practice and this will change. I want to mix up my fantasy lineup but the pricing makes it difficult. I need to start clawing back some of Sintax's lead.

#4627947 - 06/02/23 05:31 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
FP2 is done and dusted and I think this is shaping up to a good race. it never rains here right? But the order appears shifted a bit. Merc and Ferrari still not quite getting it together. Alpine still look better. Hulk flatters to deceive once again. Don't get fooled again DBond! But he is so fast and so cheap!

#4627963 - 06/02/23 09:16 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
Possible rain on saturday, but don't hope too much.

#4627994 - 06/03/23 01:03 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
A spot of rain to mix things up in FP3. Quali should be dry?

Max again on the top of the timesheets, all three sessions. But that guarantees nothing. Red Bull look hooked up though.

I made three changes to my fantasy team in an effort to claw some of that gap back, but it's risky. Out went Checo, Stroll and Yuki, replaced by Lando, Ocon and Gasly. That leaves 2.2 million on the floor, but I gotta try something. Come on boys! I need Hulk and Perez to bottle it.

#4628000 - 06/03/23 03:18 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
Very interesting quali, I'm curious about the race now.

It seems to kinda validate your fantasy choices, let's see what tomorrow brings cheers

Last edited by rollnloop.; 06/03/23 03:21 PM.
#4628003 - 06/03/23 04:09 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah man! All five of my alternate lineup drivers got in to Q3. That part couldn't have gone better really, but they don't award points on Saturday (aside from six races ahem).

That was a wonderful quali session, really enjoyed that. Perez and Leclerc must be quite put out. I said Checo would be out of the title race by Spa, but maybe sooner than that.

Hamilton impressed me too, he was on fire at one point. His clash with Russell will not improve the team dynamic I don't think.

#4628026 - 06/04/23 09:25 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
Ah well race didn't serve you as much.

Intersting step ahead from Mercedes, something probably broken on Leclerc's car. Reminds me of Ocon's problems during a few races last year.

I just love the new Fernando, looks like he intends to stay long term with Aston driving

#4628042 - 06/05/23 12:26 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
No, if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. Lando bottled it in turn 2 and Gasly lost another five places at the start, to go with the six from the penalties and it all rather fell apart. That's sports. Congrats on your overtake smile Clean pass.

That was a good race. The removal of the final chicane was transformative. I said this for years, and after the announcement of the change too, But so many pundits, and even some drivers, were saying it wouldn't encourage more overtaking, but they were stoned or something. It made a massive difference in to turn 1. Matter of fact, it made the complex from 1 to 4 as much of a battleground as any on the schedule. Like the same turns in hungary. Superb change and a much better race than it would have been with the chicane.

Congrats to Max who is just on another level. even his haters are forced to admit it. We're watching one of the best ever I think. He's always fast out of the box and his racecraft, pace and consistency are simply superb.

Merc again looked great. They're now in second in the constructors. And there's a certain humility to them now after their recent struggles. A fantastic result for the team.

Ferrari just don't have a good race car. They can't match the tire wear of their competitors. Single lap pace is good. Race pace falls off a cliff.

That was another race with few cautions, no safety cars and no red flags. No retirements either. F1 needs more chaos, but it's impressive all the same. The ability of the drivers to keep it going, and the reliability of the machines.

#4628043 - 06/05/23 12:29 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Oh yeah, and the Detroit grand prix was really good too. What a terrible track I think it must be said. But the racing was superb. Rossi bottled the final restart. Too bad, I was pulling for him. Palou was just too good yesterday. Gutted for Grosjean, who deserves a win.

#4628621 - 06/12/23 12:57 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Back at it this week boys. Canada is the place. It's one of my least favorite tracks. The first few corners are good, through to about turn 7, then its all straights and chicanes with a hairpin. Not a bad racing circuit really, but not fun to drive either.

Indy Car is coming to two great tracks, Road America and Mid-Ohio over the next few weeks. Conor Daly lost his seat to Ryan Hunter-Reay. Writing was on the wall, but an interesting development all the same. Then its off to Toronto before a string of ovals.

Also, congrats to Ferrari and our old mate Antonio Giovinazzi for winning Le Mans yesterday. The 499P is just one year along and has now won Le Mans. Amazing. That's Ferrari's first win there in fifty years. Of course that's mostly because they didn't participate. But to give it another go and win at the first time of asking is remarkable.

#4628626 - 06/12/23 01:37 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
Yeah,

for once Ferrari impressed copter

Let's hope they catch up in F1 too somehow wacky

So, since Canada is mostly straights and chicanes, Perez has hopes, has he ?

I wonder if Merc will confirm their come back, and if Nando still can contest for 2nd. Sure hope so, if 1st is undisputed, it's nice to at least have a contest for 2nd !

#4628647 - 06/12/23 04:36 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Perez has last year to make up for when be binned it in quali. This track should be suited to the Bulls. But there are many upgrades coming down the pipe for every team so we will see. Even Ferrari could be good here, as it should be fairly low deg compared to most tracks we've run so far. Of course I don't know yet which compound range we will see this weekend.

#4628861 - 06/14/23 10:57 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
I was taxiing behind Max's jet this afternoon in Nice. Wanted to wish him good luck, but didn't recognize his voice on the radio. I think he flies it himself at times, I may have another occasion. Dunno if he shares with other pilots of his generation.

#4628877 - 06/15/23 12:51 AM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Hey that's cool. Some good luck is always welcome.

So I was thinking about this race and how it may play out. Red Bull have been fast in a straight line and with DRS open which will be good here. But their other strength is high speed and medium speed corners, which there are none of here, at least in the traditional sense. The chicanes are fairly high speed as far as chicanes go, but having a good car in high speed corners isn't going to benefit anyone here. It should also mean less deg over a stint, but that depends too on how abrasive the surface is. Anyway, I think its the sort of track that might bring out a few surprises in the pace order. We'll see about that. A team like Ferrari could have improved fortunes if the deg is lower and it's a one stop. I wouldn't count them out of a podium.

By the same token I'm not quite sold on Mercedes. Much of the punditry have declared Mercedes fixed. The car is better now, no doubt. And it should be since it's mostly an entirely new car aside from the core of it. That has to slash in to the cap, doesn't it? But I wonder if this was as much a situation where the track suited the car, like we saw with Merc last year at Hungaroring and Interlagos. I think the reality is going to be in the middle somewhere. A better car now that they've essentially thrown out their zero-pod concept, but probably some track suitability reflected in their good result at Catalunya. The unique nature of Montreal may not suit them as well.

Every team is in the process of rolling out upgrades since the loss of Imola fouled it all up and then Monaco isn't where you want to be doing that stuff. So the development battle should be fully in swing now.

This is a fairly dull track to drive I think. But it does tend to produce pretty good racing. The final chicane usually catches out one or two as they slap the wall. The braking zone going in to it is a good overtaking spot after the long DRS zone. The hairpin and funky decreasing radius exit get cars out of shape and makes them vulnerable down the backstraight. The first few turns though are good ones to drive, but overtaking through here always ends in disaster. From turn 1 through the first DRS line it is a dangerous track. Some wet weather would turn it up a notch or two and rain is in the forecast all three days..

Get your fantasy sorted. Good luck!

#4628883 - 06/15/23 02:32 AM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Nice video on aerodynamics of RedBull if you are on FaceBook, https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=601198475440867

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
Page 63 of 78 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 77 78

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.