Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4624615 - 04/12/23 05:49 PM No visible Airfields.  
jnhoward Offline
jnhoward  Offline

somerset
You have done a nice job with the ground detail on the new expansion, I am impressed !.
But on BoB and BoF I have no airfields, just the hangers in ordinary fields. Which can hardly be seen from the air. Everything else seems to be in place, apart from maybe the Luftwaffe hardly ever showing up.
I've looked in the files, And there is a 'WW2 airfields' file in the assets folder, same location as Airfields in the B&H files. I do have the Airfields visible with B&H. All looks good.
So for some reason that file is not being read, I've not seen any other posts about it, so maybe just me getting problems again.
I got rid of Norton, using BitDefender now, but still excluding OBD from scans. B&H has been running well since then.
So is there anything I can do in the files to turn them on ?.
Thanks.

Last edited by jnhoward; 04/12/23 05:50 PM.
#4624649 - 04/12/23 11:04 PM Re: No visible Airfields. [Re: jnhoward]  
jnhoward Offline
jnhoward  Offline

somerset
I thought I'd reinstall hoping for some airfields, but still the same.
Is anyone else getting this problem ??.

#4624658 - 04/13/23 01:29 AM Re: No visible Airfields. [Re: jnhoward]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
I have never heard anyone report a similar problem. Strange. Suggest you post a screenshot to show what you are seeing and hopefully the developers will be along to help you out soon.

#4624695 - 04/13/23 06:45 PM Re: No visible Airfields. [Re: jnhoward]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

The airfields should not vanish, they are definitely there and no one has reported them to be "missing!" Are they there when you are on the airfield.

Where are you based? Squad /date ?

What workshop settings do you have?

Send your log file to support email address (Do not post it here!) I can probably see.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4624704 - 04/13/23 11:31 PM Re: No visible Airfields. [Re: jnhoward]  
jnhoward Offline
jnhoward  Offline

somerset
Here's some stuff. Not sure about Log Files & how & where to send them. Hopefully get back to you with that. I've only just seen where the attachments manager is.
My settings:
1920 x 1080. 2 Samples. Mode 21.
Driver settings. Music off.

Aircraft detail 5
Scenery 3
Effects 5
Cloud 5
Terrain 3

Aircraft shadows 5
Terrain shadows 3
Map 1
Cloud scale 9
Cloud density 8

Reflections 5
Glossiness 5
Lights 0
Render 3

Had 1 pilot in RAF 17. In August 1940. Started at Debden then on to Hawkinge.
And RAF 43. in July 1940 at Tangmere then to next door airfield
And the France map is the same.
But B&H is fine
The airfields don't disappear, there just not there at all.
With a bit of luck you should get some screen shots.
Thanks.

PS the files are to big to send. The nightmare continues.

Last edited by jnhoward; 04/13/23 11:34 PM.
#4624772 - 04/14/23 06:08 PM Re: No visible Airfields. [Re: jnhoward]  
jnhoward Offline
jnhoward  Offline

somerset
Hello again. Quick update on my feeble efforts.
The base game is running fine. I think I know now were a lot of my problems are coming from, I've been firing up the patches inside the main game folder up till now.
Patch seems to be working OK in the WOTR folder (if not a bit better). Runs smooth, the dark squares in the landscape are nearly gone and I have airfields.
But after running the expansion (in the WOTR folder), everything looks in order BoB/BoF screen, no apparent problems. But again no airfields.
Am I now using right folder?. It doesn't say in the PDF where to place the patches, so I thought , in the main game folder it should go!. not so sure now.
I just in time downloaded a fresh BoF zip. So I will have another go with that one soon.
Will let you know.
thanks.

#4624824 - 04/15/23 08:29 PM Re: No visible Airfields. [Re: jnhoward]  
jnhoward Offline
jnhoward  Offline

somerset
And it's done it again!
I had the base game working well. Better than it ever was with Norton. Out of about 10 attempts I got it running to a fashion twice with Norton. Now it's installing properly every time so far. And running better than I've seen in the 2+ years that I've had it.
But that comes to an end as soon as I install BoF expansion. All looks fine, BoF menu screen with all France options. But all of the airfields are gone, England and France, just the hangers hardly noticeable from the air lost in the field mat.
But now, I'm fed up with setting up pilots and joysticks every other day. I found the proper PDF for it now, I was using the WoFF as the reference before. And even with that I still managed to **** it up for the 4th time.
I was looking at the info for sending log files and the like. Bloody hell that looks a faff, beyond my savvy. I'm an old carpenter well out of my depth with computer stuff. And I literally don't have the time for messing about.
So I will just install the base game 'again' and leave it at that. I'm still happy that the base game is working properly now.
I will just keep an eye on this forum to see if someone not as daft as me can supply you with any info for this issue.
Thanks.
(has he really gone this time) ?????

#4624830 - 04/16/23 12:27 AM Re: No visible Airfields. [Re: jnhoward]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Hi Jnhoward im a bit confused regarding " It doesn't say in the PDF where to place the patches, so I thought , in the main game folder it should go!. not so sure now" ??

The patch comes as a zip download, once unzipped it'll show as a .exe file, you should then double click on the .exe and it should find the correct folder and update automatically.

Has you own BOF you need to download the BOF update only..
So..Install base game, install BOF addon then download BOF patch here BOF Patch 1.03 download as a zip,unzip it double click the exe and that should be good to go thumbsup

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4624881 - 04/16/23 10:26 PM Re: No visible Airfields. [Re: jnhoward]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Yeh, like Adger said, some of the things you are saying are confusing.

You don't have to worry about 'folders' at all .... if you let WOTR install in the default location it puts everything where it needs to be automatically. As Adger said above, the patches and BOF are executable files ... you download them to your computer (anywhere you like on your computer), unzip with an unzip program, and then 'run it' (double click the .exe file). The installer will take care of everything automatically. At no point do you have to tell it what folder to install to, at least not that I remember.

Hope you find the problem and get up an running soon!

#4624885 - 04/17/23 01:14 AM Re: No visible Airfields. [Re: 77_Scout]  
catch Offline
catch  Offline

QLD, Australia

Originally Posted by 77_Scout

You don't have to worry about 'folders' at all .... if you let WOTR install in the default location it puts everything where it needs to be automatically

Except when you move WOTR/WOFF to another drive as I have done. Then you have to point it to the created folder in that particular drive. But that's not important right now. What young Howard has is a really daft problem for which I have no answer. It could be a million things wot with all the installs and reinstalls and stuff. Registry can get screwed up. It probably still contains malicious Norton files lurking, lurking with evil intent. It must be driving the poor chap crazy.

#4624898 - 04/17/23 10:55 AM Re: No visible Airfields. [Re: jnhoward]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

I believe Pol,s mentioned some time back that moving the sims to another drive isn’t recommended Catch because of the registry issues that can occur etc..I always personally nuke it using the toolbox then reinstall if I want it on another drive I sincerely hope that JNH gets everything up and running,

me?? I’d nuke the WOTR install, then reinstall onto a drive of choice, add BOF then download the latest 1.03 patch for BOF JNH (you don’t need to install the WOTR 1.25 patch) the 1.03 BOF patch will do it all for you.

We will remember them.
#4624947 - 04/17/23 08:07 PM Re: No visible Airfields. [Re: jnhoward]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Nuke using section 17 of the FAQ, get reid of all installed WOTR folders. Clean nothing left (see that FAQ).
and reinstall following that section carefully.

At step 7 in that section, where you reinstall WOTR, you can follow section 2) which has some details to check and some help for that.

Install using the proper setup program - don't restore from a backup whatever. The sim just installs no weirdness normally.

The FAQ goes through that and installing patches.

Downloaded Patches must be unzipped/unpacked and then as the guys say, you must run/exectute the installer program and it will find the installation if it is installed properly. This is carefully explained in detail on the downloads page on our website below the download link.

Otherwise something is still interfering... other anti-virus or.... virus??

Again the last section of the FAQ goes through pretty much step-by-step how to find the log files and send them.

Last edited by Polovski; 04/17/23 08:09 PM.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4624954 - 04/17/23 10:23 PM Re: No visible Airfields. [Re: Adger]  
catch Offline
catch  Offline

QLD, Australia
Originally Posted by Adger
I believe Pol,s mentioned some time back that moving the sims to another drive isn’t recommended Catch because of the registry issues that can occur etc.

Sorry I didn't literally mean move or copy Adger, I installed WOFF in my second drive. The old "running out of space in C" problem I'm afraid. Then nuked it off C. Runs fine. smile

#4624957 - 04/17/23 11:26 PM Re: No visible Airfields. [Re: catch]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Originally Posted by catch
Originally Posted by Adger
I believe Pol,s mentioned some time back that moving the sims to another drive isn’t recommended Catch because of the registry issues that can occur etc.

Sorry I didn't literally mean move or copy Adger, I installed WOFF in my second drive. The old "running out of space in C" problem I'm afraid. Then nuked it off C. Runs fine. smile

Haha been there done that mate, ended up purchasing a 2tb ssd for all my OBD goodies thumbsup

We will remember them.
#4624982 - 04/18/23 08:44 AM Re: No visible Airfields. [Re: jnhoward]  
catch Offline
catch  Offline

QLD, Australia

Actually Adger when I think about it (it was a while ago) I nuked the C install first (using toolbox etc and cleaning up any remnants) ....so it was a clean uninstall ... and then I installed WOFF in the other drive. This was to avoid any possible registry conflicts. I guess my point is for jnhoward to do things right first time rather than constant installs/reinstalls which can really screw things up if not done right. I appreciate he's new to this sorta stuff though and wish him the best of luck. We've all been there. Computers move in mysterious ways as does Norton.

#4626026 - 05/04/23 08:31 PM Re: No visible Airfields. [Re: Adger]  
jnhoward Offline
jnhoward  Offline

somerset
Hi Adger. Thanks for the reply.
What I was doing because I was not sure where the patches got installed, I was going to WOTR (and I was doing the same on woff) then I would open up ''wings over the Reich', then drag the ZIP in there, and extract it in there. And it seamed to work.
But stopped going it that way, now I unpack to a temp folder and into WOTR.
And the PDF I was using was a really old WOFF one. I got the right PDF now (and read it for a change).
Had another 4 go's at it since last post, same result each time. The base game works fine (apart from a few nasty squares in the landscape). but as soon as BoF gets loaded I lose the airfields. Weird !.
I sent the Logs, before, after and B&H2 Logs for 'ref'. And a few screen shots to support a couple of days ago. So hopefully it's something that stands out like a sore thumb to someone with more comp' savvy than me.
If it's something easy (or probably stupid), I'll let you know.
Cheers.

#4626209 - 05/08/23 03:15 PM Re: No visible Airfields. [Re: jnhoward]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

There is no email in support jnhoward. Are you sure you are using the official website?
Check the email address in the FAQ last 2 pages (do not post it here please, and do not post logs here)

Support <at> overflandersfields.com

replace the <at> with the usual sign

Regards,

Polovski,
#4626230 - 05/08/23 07:39 PM Re: No visible Airfields. [Re: jnhoward]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted by jnhoward
I was going to WOTR (and I was doing the same on woff) then I would open up ''wings over the Reich', then drag the ZIP in there, and extract it in there. And it seamed to work.
But stopped going it that way, now I unpack to a temp folder and into WOTR.

I might be misunderstanding but this still sounds wrong to me. After you unpack (unzip) the patch files to a temp folder you have to RUN the patch (double click the .exe file) and it installs itself in the correct location. You don't MOVE (cut/paste) the files into WOTR. Maybe clarify the steps you are doing in more detail because the description above is a bit hard to understand.

#4626242 - 05/08/23 09:52 PM Re: No visible Airfields. [Re: 77_Scout]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Originally Posted by 77_Scout
I might be misunderstanding but this still sounds wrong to me. After you unpack (unzip) the patch files to a temp folder you have to RUN the patch (double click the .exe file) and it installs itself in the correct location. You don't MOVE (cut/paste) the files into WOTR. Maybe clarify the steps you are doing in more detail because the description above is a bit hard to understand.

+1 cheers Aye, entirely possible that jnhoward's various vexations over the months and years with WoFF/WoTR installation procedures are owing to what seems like a manual copy-over of installation files. That's a big no-no for any OBD installs -- recommended instead, once any patches/updates are downloaded to one's computer, is to unzip those patches into their own folder (usually a temporary one) -- then, double-click on the patch exe and let the patch open up. It will in turn, usually automatically, find your main WoFF (or WoTR) folder (that contains the base sim) -- and will update the base sim with relevant updates. When any new update comes out -- follow the same procedure (i.e., never manually copy files over).

Cheers all and good auto (not manual) patching,
smile2

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4626293 - 05/10/23 08:46 AM Re: No visible Airfields. [Re: jnhoward]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Also remember there's full instructions on how to use patches on the downloads page, just below the actual download link.
Literally takes you through unpacking, running it etc.

Regards,

Polovski,
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.