#4623171 - 03/20/23 12:23 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Good call rollnloop.

I didn't expect Max to win unless Checo had a problem, or like last year, got caught out by an ill-timed safety car. This time the safety car came before Checo pitted so it worked out for him. Still, Max's drive was impressive with that safety car erasing a 20 second deficit. Finding the right balance for DRS has been a challenge for race control,with detection lines and zones needing tweaking here and there. It felt like it was just right at Jeddah,except for the Red Bulls. Their DRS advantage looked insane. Max's pass on Russell was madness how he blew past. Perez ran a great race. Poor start, but the Red Bull could make up for that. They need him to pick it up when the other side of the garage is off song, and they need him to be better on Saturdays, so that he starts near the front to give himself better chances and the team more strategy options during the race. Job done on both accounts.

Good race for Alonso. He couldn't hold his start, but another podium, his 100th in F1, is good reward. Losing it, then getting it back after the race is something I hope we don't see much of. I'm critical of race control. And the explanation I read essentially said that it probably should have been a penalty, but it wasn't clear everyone had agreed it would be (jack touching car while counting off 5-second penalty) so therefore we won't penalize him after all. How there are any grey areas like this in F1 rules is a mystery. Get it together. Tough luck for Stroll.

Merc had a good race, but will be dismayed how far off the front they are. I think it was expected they could have a good race with Jeddah not putting much of a premium on down force, and so it proved. Really nice run out of Russell, who once again livened up the race with his "but Fernando has a 5-second penalty so we need to hold station. Oh **** " comment. Then he turned it up and pulled away from Lewis who was on softer rubber.Merc will be disappointed not to be further up the road, but that was a good points haul all the same. Especially because....

Ferrari are in crisis. They had nothing at all and morale must be low. Their cars had no chance to do anything yesterday and they just sort of drifted backwards.They would have been hoping to take the fight to Red Bull this year from the off, but aren't even the third fastest car at the moment, although I expect they'll outpace Merc at Austraila, but we shall see about that. Heads will be down, and Vasseur's job is much bigger than he would have bargained for I think.

Alpine maximized their result, both cars scored, and KMag nicked the final point to turn Haas's season around a bit. There's pace in that car, but the midfield is so tight. I was disappointed to see Sargeant go backwards in the end. Curious to know if the car just didn't have it on those mediums or if he was struggling to put it all together. Williams were right around the points, but finished far from any. This is the sort of track that should favor them so they'll be disappointed no to capitalize.

Tsunoda had a super drive and that was gutting to lose out on the points.

McLaren. What the hell McLaren? To be this slow at two very dissimilar tracks is an ominous sign. Easily the most dispiriting team on the grid so far.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4623180 - 03/20/23 01:12 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
McLaren performance is dissapointing.

The Red Bulls speed is amazing. They need to be throttled down! biggrin

My focus was more on F2 yesterday. Our norwegian hope started 15th and ended up 5th.
There was a red flag in the qualifying that gave him no chance. Lessoned learned: Get out early and do a good lap.

My Fantacy is a disaster. I was hoping someone could be more competetive. Still early, but someone has to do something fast.
I`ll see if I will do some changes before Australia. Either they improve or I`ll change my team.
Think after that I will use my head more than my heart. smile

“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
#4623185 - 03/20/23 01:29 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, there's plenty of season left. My fantasy week was a good one. First time I've ever topped 300 points I think. Stroll's retirement didn't help, but other wise it was good. I'd like to replace Hulk, but there's just no good option right now for that sort of money. I need to diversify my lineup from Sintax's so we don't end up level at the end.

#4623455 - 03/24/23 02:08 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Big shakeup at McLaren as James Key is out and being replaced by David Sanchez who had just left Ferrari.

No race this week boys, but Australia the following week.

#4623466 - 03/24/23 04:04 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Cast your vote in the Overtake of the Month award.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...-month-award.4NSk8Aciia1hOZ9QEmmSjq.html

For me it was Alonso's pass of Hamilton in turn 10 at Bahrain. No one ever makes a move there.

#4623502 - 03/25/23 10:40 AM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
It was a difficult one, they're all nice.

I did vote for Kmag though, the fight between those two was fantastic and lasted quite a bit.

#4623517 - 03/25/23 12:50 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah over 20 laps KMag was pressuring Tsunoda. Stroll's pass around the outside of Sainz was it? That was good too.

#4623546 - 03/26/23 02:33 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
No points for guessing who I voted for!

I do wonder if McLaren is headed for a long lasting decline, in Formula 1 at least. We must not forget that they are close to becoming a force in IndyCar.

While there is no race this weekend, I found an excellent Formula One fix on .

Last edited by McGonigle; 03/26/23 02:34 PM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4623591 - 03/27/23 12:04 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Two votes for KMag!

That video has been pulled down?

#4623595 - 03/27/23 12:56 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
Sintax Offline
Sintax  Offline

My vote is Nando on Hamilton. Was so epic watching Nando get aggressive and getting the back end loose!

#4623602 - 03/27/23 02:53 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, well, you've got it right smile

Back at it this week boys, down under. Albert Park has undergone some revision in the past two years, especially the back stretch section, sector 2 which had a chicane or two removed and is now faster and straighter.

Australia always seems to be the scene of mayhem and some of the most spectacular crashes occur here. I usually watch a couple races from whichever track we are going to this week to get warmed up for it. Last night it was Australia 2019, when Ricciardo went just a touch wide at the start and his whole front wing came off. The gasp from the crowd was so loud it could easily be heard over the cars.

Not my favorite track if I'm honest, but then that's usually the case with temporary street circuits. But it is usually a nice spectacle, especially the dive in to turn 4.

#4623765 - 03/28/23 05:11 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
Australia doesn't always produce great races, but for some reason it appeals to me every year, and I love its flow when simracing it.

Let's hope this year gets spectacular, and Checo ruffles Max's feathers a bit, if not the other teams.

#4623839 - 03/29/23 01:23 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Every race appeals to me haha. And I'm getting excited now for this one.

Australia has tended to be processional in recent times. But the revamped backstretch along Lakeside Drive -- and I think they added a DRS zone there -- might help. I think it's turn 9 now (used to be turn 11), the lefthander before the final DRS line should see some overtaking I think and there was rarely any action there in the old layout. Some turns have been widened too. The lap time should be faster by as much as 4 or 5 seconds. Whether any of this translates to better racing remains to be seen.

Bring it on!

#4624001 - 03/31/23 02:55 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Red Bull look quick once again, not that we doubted it. I predicted a better race for Ferrari this week and so far they also look good. Alonso quick.

Have not seen a weather forecast, but rain hit FP2. A little weather could really mix things up.

Race start is 1 AM my time and I plan to watch it live.

Sort your fantasy boys. Good luck!

#4624045 - 04/01/23 12:57 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Well done to Max who fought it a bit but still did enough to snatch pole, his first in Melbourne. Excellent result for Merc. Ferrari are still a bit at sea aren't they? Leclerc won't be happy with seventh.

Williams again look quick. I won't keep reminding everyone, but there was one person I know who saw this in Williams during testing biggrin Sargeant struggled, but Albon earned his keep to slot in eighth. Nice result. Good result as well for Alpine, who are right there. A few more tenths and they are right in the mix for a podium I think.

Aston Martin continue their improved form and pace. McLaren again disappointing.

For fantasy I made some bold calls this week. I had to diverge from Sintax, the season would suck if we scored the same points every week. So I made some changes. Out went Hulk and Perez. Hulk has flattered to deceive so far, looking quick but then stuffing the race. But his price is hard to beat. And thankfully I watched Q3, where Checo really struggled. I don't think he managed to put together one clean lap. I felt like I was seeing the writing on the wall, so I dropped him. That looks good after qualifying, but he should move forward and there are plenty of overtake points on offer starting at the back, so he could yet redeem his weekend.

In came Stroll and Ocon. I nearly had every driver in Q3, but Ocon missed it by the slimmest margins.

So my current team is

Red Bull & Aston Martin

Verstappen
Alonso
Stroll
Gasly
Ocon

Lots of eggs in few baskets. And this team leaves 6 million on the table. That feels wrong.

Good luck boys!

#4624047 - 04/01/23 01:33 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
And one more thing.... they did indeed add a fourth DRS zone. It's even more interesting because there are just two detection lines for those four zones, meaning whoever gets DRS gets a double dose.

#4624054 - 04/01/23 04:42 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Umm, guys, it's like qualifying and race day.

Come on, where's the analysis and banter, hopes and dreams, slander and reckless speculation?

Oi vey. And I don't even speak yiddish!

#4624070 - 04/01/23 09:37 PM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
A few misplaced cars on the grid, but I wonder if Perez will have his brakes sorted by race time. If yes, could be a great race to watch, bar Verstappen who'll be ahead by a minute, unless his gearbox breaks. Second place race might be fun to watch, but Mercs can play taffic jam with one of their cars and then it's only third place that gets exciting, mmmmmmmmh. I hope it rains, then the fun can start.

#4624077 - 04/02/23 12:52 AM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
It all feels a bit unsorted for me. The fastest cars have problems, the midfield maybe less so, and Merc is right in the mix. Max's gremlins are the sort that always seem to bite in the end. And even if the downshift issues don't knock him out of the race, it's the sort of thing that can become some snap oversteer diving in to corners. Electrical gremlins are the worst sort, battery issues as well for him. And with Checo at the back, and not seemingly having a good car at the mo (rear suspension/ARB issues) Red Bull have a lot of jeopardy in this one. They're fast alright, but I've got some bad juju.

The next four teams, , Aston, Merc, Ferrari and Alpine are all right there and it should be dicey I think. The weather is supposed to be dry and a little warmer. Usually I'm hoping for a bit of rain to mix things up too, but here I hope it's dry. If it's dry then we get DRS and with those double doses it could be a much better race here with those cars all so close. I want to see it in action regardless of its effect. We see at other tracks like Jeddah how back to back DRS zone heat things up. And Williams will be hard to overtake, so Albon has a real chance to put a spanner in.

If it's cooler than expected the start could be spicy since it's been hard to get the tires up. Low grip, low deg and some graining issues popping up. If the temp is sort of in between it could be a massive call with which tire to start on. I think they'll go soft-hard so to bring them up as fast as possible when the lights go out. Should be a one-stopper either way.

I think Mercedes have a shot to be more than traffic jam. They look faster than those behind, but of course we didn't see much race pace data from practice. This is a really good chance for them. I think their car is going to be rather occasionally suited to the circuit. Albert Park is one. Which is interesting because getting enough downforce while still getting good top end has been their issue and this track would seem to put a bit of a premium on both. Some slow stuff and high speed. The final two turns here are some of the most difficult to get right on the schedule. I reckon we'll see some lock ups, spins and offs here, and the Merc is the car that seems most on edge so it will be interesting to watch them through that final section.

And as we saw, a temporary street circuit like this doesn't have much in the way of run off. I expect cautions and safety cars. But then who knows.

Good luck in fantasy

Lights out and away we go!

#4624084 - 04/02/23 07:15 AM Re: Formula 1 [Re: DBond]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
What a mess !

Page 58 of 78 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 77 78

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.