Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4623475 - 03/24/23 06:08 PM Amazon Is Shutting Down DPReview  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
I don't know how many here have an interest in cameras and photography, but for anyone with any interest at all, DPReview was a must-visit site for all kinds of information. They had in-depth equipment reviews, great image comparison tools, and a robust forums community for people to interact and exchange ideas and information. I'm not sure when Amazon got involved, but it was just announced that they are shutting it down as of April 10, 2023.

All of that information, photo tools, and shared knowledge from the forums will be lost when that happens, which will leave a big hole for anyone looking to learn more about digital photography and videography, and wanting to research new equipment to find what's best for them. Yes, there are other sources, but the historical information, tools and user community made it a really valuable place to go to find a lot of information, so it's going to be missed. I don't know the reasoning behind shutting it down, but I'm assuming it's some kind of financial decision, as I doubt it was a money-maker.

Decisions like that are making me use Amazon less and less. I'm looking at getting a new mirrorless camera, and possibly a new drone, and I am not planning on going through Amazon for those things at this time. I know that sounds kind of whiny, but if they're not supporting those fields, it just feels wrong to buy that sort of equipment through them.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4623479 - 03/24/23 07:25 PM Re: Amazon Is Shutting Down DPReview [Re: Arthonon]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Hotshot

brasil
cant they sell it to someone else ? never heard of it before, but lost knowledge is never a good thing.

#4623485 - 03/24/23 08:48 PM Re: Amazon Is Shutting Down DPReview [Re: Arthonon]  
RedToo Offline
RedToo  Offline

Bolton UK
An extremely useful site I visit regularly. Not only are they shutting it down, they are not leaving the dead site up as a repository of information up to the closure point. Keeping the site up and read only wouldn't exactly cost Bezos much of his wealth. Agree with Arthonon about Amazon.

DPReview:

https://www.dpreview.com

My 'Waiting for Clod' thread: http://tinyurl.com/bqxc9ee

Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
Elie Wiesel. Romanian born Jewish writer, professor, political activist, Nobel Laureate, Holocaust survivor. 1928 - 2016.

Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts. C.S. Lewis, 1898 - 1963.
#4623489 - 03/24/23 10:42 PM Re: Amazon Is Shutting Down DPReview [Re: Arthonon]  
BUFF Offline
Hotshot
BUFF  Offline
Hotshot

Glasgow, Scotland
Originally Posted by Arthonon
I don't know how many here have an interest in cameras and photography, but for anyone with any interest at all, DPReview was a must-visit site for all kinds of information. They had in-depth equipment reviews, great image comparison tools, and a robust forums community for people to interact and exchange ideas and information. I'm not sure when Amazon got involved, but it was just announced that they are shutting it down as of April 10, 2023.

All of that information, photo tools, and shared knowledge from the forums will be lost when that happens, which will leave a big hole for anyone looking to learn more about digital photography and videography, and wanting to research new equipment to find what's best for them. Yes, there are other sources, but the historical information, tools and user community made it a really valuable place to go to find a lot of information, so it's going to be missed. I don't know the reasoning behind shutting it down, but I'm assuming it's some kind of financial decision, as I doubt it was a money-maker.

Decisions like that are making me use Amazon less and less. I'm looking at getting a new mirrorless camera, and possibly a new drone, and I am not planning on going through Amazon for those things at this time. I know that sounds kind of whiny, but if they're not supporting those fields, it just feels wrong to buy that sort of equipment through them.

Apparently there are various people looking at various ways to archive information/have substitute forums.
Might be worth a read of https://bythom.com/newsviews/dpreview-to-close-after-25.html
& https://bythom.com/newsviews/followup-on-dpreview-closur.html

"Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"

www.CombatACE.com SF P1/WOV/WOE/First Eagles flunky

abit forums
#4623601 - 03/27/23 02:20 PM Re: Amazon Is Shutting Down DPReview [Re: Arthonon]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Oh... that is truly sad. In my active years as photographer I visited that site on a near daily basis. Amazon at it's best.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.