Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4623393 - 03/23/23 01:43 PM Re: Issues and information with the GoG and Steam releases [Re: Bruce Canzoli]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Cape Charles, Virginia, USA
Yes that's true and I wouldn't have said anything except the OP seems to be open to trying other versions.

Originally Posted by Bruce Canzoli
.....I saw however that your expansions have some interesting theatres but they are all in the "non career complete sets" section. Since pilot career is my favourite mode I'm curious to know if any of them support pilot career

If a variety of careers is his main interest then the only option( as far as I know) other than the default EAW careers is SPAW.

One caveat for Bruce.

When produced SPAW had a set of planes that were historically correct and at certain points the player would get transferred to different planes, usually with better performance, such as switching from the F4F to the F4u's late in the Guadalcanal theater.(historically accurate)

With the latest exec (1.6) players have the ability to put in whatever planes they choose, in any theater they desire. While this is a great option, it is possible to screw up the historically accurate planes.

Not a big deal but something a career aficionado should be cognizant of.

Heck, even paranoids have enemies.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4623394 - 03/23/23 02:18 PM Re: Issues and information with the GoG and Steam releases [Re: Rotton50]  
Bruce Canzoli Offline
Bruce Canzoli  Offline

Yes, my main interest is generally offline playing, careers are my favourite but i like single missions also. The problem is that i can't find SPAW, i usually look in Tally-Ho but i can't find it there (there are, for the pacific theatre, some New Guinea campaings, Pacific Tide and Midway), and more in general every campaign i found is a huge pain to install (dozens and dozens of tiny files, many of them require DOS file managers that even with DosBox seem to have problems working). I've read about some campaign managers and .batch organizers (like ECA Control Panel) but every link i found doesn't work anymore and again, i can't find none of them in Tally-ho or EAWHS.

Some of the careers in this 128 GOG version though seem to work or at least function with minor bugs, like SpanishAirWar, BattleOfBritain and DesertAirWar, if there are minor historical inaccuracies i honestly don't mind much. I would be interested in trying to install the Poland Campaign, the AITW 1940 and Operation Torch ones for example, but as i said earlier i am in the search of some non-excruciating process since i have limited time to dedicate to this game and\or i'm a noob and i don't know what i'm doing.

I tried a bit the 1.60 version but it's clearly built for online playing, and even if somehow you can install campaigns\careers and make them run with both the 1.28 and 1.60 selectors, i don't know how to do it.

Thanks all of you for the info by the way

Last edited by Bruce Canzoli; 03/23/23 05:20 PM.
#4623402 - 03/23/23 06:10 PM Re: Issues and information with the GoG and Steam releases [Re: Bruce Canzoli]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Yes, my main interest is generally offline playing, careers are my favourite but i like single missions also. The problem is that i can't find SPAW,

Can't help you with Talley-ho but it is available when you install the 1.6 package.

i usually look in Tally-Ho but i can't find it there (there are, for the pacific theatre, some New Guinea campaings, Pacific Tide and Midway), and more in general every campaign i found is a huge pain to install (dozens and dozens of tiny files, many of them require DOS file managers that even with DosBox seem to have problems working). I've read about some campaign managers and .batch organizers (like ECA Control Panel) but every link i found doesn't work anymore and again, i can't find none of them in Tally-ho or EAWHS.

I feel your pain, but guess what? All of these issues and more are dealt with in the 1.6 package.

Some of the careers in this 128 GOG version though seem to work or at least function with minor bugs, like SpanishAirWar, BattleOfBritain and DesertAirWar, if there are minor historical inaccuracies i honestly don't mind much. I would be interested in trying to install the Poland Campaign, the AITW 1940 and Operation Torch ones for example, but as i said earlier i am in the search of some non-excruciating process since i have limited time to dedicate to this game and\or i'm a noob and i don't know what i'm doing

Again, these and plenty of other campaigns are built into the 1.6 package.

I tried a bit the 1.60 version but it's clearly built for online playing

Fake news. 1.6 is perfectly capable of running off line. In fact, with it's ability to switch plane sets with a couple of mouse clicks it's really a lot of fun. Plus there are a fantastic number of improvements, from aircraft carriers, to dam busting, to skip bombing, to a massive increase in targetable object and many, many more that are only available in this line.

That said, 1.6 seems to be daunting to install but it isn't as bad as some people assume. And Mr. Jelly, our one and only programmer, is EXTREMELY helpful getting folks up and running.

Bruce, there's something to remember for future posts.

There is a great divide in the EAW community with the two sides unable to overcome years and years of bad blood. Shame really because there's a lot of talent on both sides of the divide. So if you decide that 1.6 is the way you want to go, post questions and comments in the subforum at the top of the page. We can continue the conversation in there.

#4623404 - 03/23/23 06:18 PM Re: Issues and information with the GoG and Steam releases [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
I am considering making a 160 installation for careers with theatres that have associated career files, and the appropriate planesets.

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#4623435 - 03/24/23 08:38 AM Re: Issues and information with the GoG and Steam releases [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

I changed my mind smile

AFAIK no theatres with careers were written after 1.28c
So I have built an updated 1.28c package with several theatres and corresponding plane-sets.
If a theatre has an associated career then it is indicated.

I will post a link when the file is uploaded.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

#4623436 - 03/24/23 10:33 AM Re: Issues and information with the GoG and Steam releases [Re: Rotton50]  
Bruce Canzoli Offline
Bruce Canzoli  Offline

Ok, i clearly need to learn more about how exactly the 1.60 version works, i tried the UAW160 2020 version and it didn't seem to have that many more single player theatres than the 1.28 one, both made by MrJelly (i probably can't thank him enough) but now i see that the 1.60 has in fact SPAW in it, so you're right. I found also (finally) a decent download list from EAWHS so that is solved. I still have to learn to install campaign files in the correct way so that i can manage them with MrJelly's selectors and don't run into trouble running the game, but if i will need more info about 1.60 i will post in that forum and not here. Thanks

#4623437 - 03/24/23 10:36 AM Re: Issues and information with the GoG and Steam releases [Re: MrJelly]  
Bruce Canzoli Offline
Bruce Canzoli  Offline

That would be awesome. From a gameplay perspective i like both 1.28 and 1.60 so to me would be very cool

#4623439 - 03/24/23 11:58 AM Re: Issues and information with the GoG and Steam releases [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4623452 - 03/24/23 12:56 PM Re: Issues and information with the GoG and Steam releases [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Bruce:
I checked the " UAW160 2020 Downloads" thread and in the fist post there is a line which reads "The full download of my UAW160 folder:"
It is followed by links that allow you to build a full installation.

It leads to this picture which gives you an idea of the full installation:

[Linked Image]

There are 25 theatres and a heap of planesets.

The whole point of UAW160 is the separation of theatres from planes.
If you want to fly Pacific planes in a European theatre then UAW160 will let you do it.
It also lets you load a theatre and a plane-set with planes that belong to that theatre.

What is not in that installation is the original SPAW theatre which was superseded by "SPAW2019FinalCut".
I could add it if need be, but it is better to use the 1.28c version for career missions.

The multiplayer theatres can be used for offline fun too.
They are versions of the original with bases moved to different places, and a new front-line.
This was done because in multiplayer there is no time acceleration.
Their creation allows bases to be selected for enjoyable ground-started games in real time
An allied interception from HMS Victorious of planes coming to attack it from a Japanese carrier is a typical example.
You can fly multiplayer by yourself. We refer to it as "Host-only".
The advantage of this is that the friendly and enemy bases can be set as well as the target, and as it is not online then time acceleration is possible.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4623482 - 03/24/23 07:57 PM Re: Issues and information with the GoG and Steam releases [Re: MrJelly]  
Bruce Canzoli Offline
Bruce Canzoli  Offline

Thanks MrJelly, you are great.

Is it possible to use the theatres included in the 1.28 GOG package (like BoB or DAW for example) in the 1.28c version? i saw that the two versions have two different systems to handle file management.

Thanks again you've been extremely helpful smile

#4623498 - 03/25/23 07:48 AM Re: Issues and information with the GoG and Steam releases [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Just for information 1.28c was the first release that used the "dir.set" system. Before that mod files had to be moved into the root folder and removed from it when they were not needed. OAW was a utility that did this well, hence its use in the GoG1.28 patch.

The only thing that is copied into the root folder in 1.28c is the "Dir.set" file. This contains the path-names to the folders containing the files that the exe needs to read. The exe reads these files.
I may well have the GoG theatres that you would like in another 1.28c folder. If I can find them then I can make an expansion pack for you and other users.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4623500 - 03/25/23 09:35 AM Re: Issues and information with the GoG and Steam releases [Re: MrJelly]  
Bruce Canzoli Offline
Bruce Canzoli  Offline

Originally Posted by MrJelly
Just for information 1.28c was the first release that used the "dir.set" system.

Yes exactly i saw that the 1.28c uses dir.sets and 1.28 GOG simply uses folders with code letters that the utility reads and installs, very cool.

Originally Posted by MrJelly
I may well have the GoG theatres that you would like in another 1.28c folder. If I can find them then I can make an expansion pack for you and other users.

Again, that would be even more awesome, but i wouldn't want to bother you every time i want to install some theatre so that you would have to make yet another package, that doesn't seem entirely fair to me. That's why i've been interested to know how dir.sets work, so that maybe i can do that on my own, but again i'm not a programmer by any means so maybe that's impossible.

#4623518 - 03/25/23 12:52 PM Re: Issues and information with the GoG and Steam releases [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Here's a patch that adds more theatres and some other files: https://www.mediafire.com/file/eicf4hb6gsgrawn/128cPatch25March2023.exe/file.

Run the downloaded file in your "UAW128c 2020 May11th" folder

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4623537 - 03/26/23 05:55 AM Re: Issues and information with the GoG and Steam releases [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

There are some problems with the DAW and Malta skins. This is a readme from the original DAW:

//DAW Skinpack
//////////////

This file should list the origins of all skins appearing in the DAW-skinpack to give proper credit to all their creators.
A lot of these skins were enhanced and tweaked during the process of generating this skinpack, it was not possible to keep track with all enhancements which were included to all planes. To place the planes in their DAW-aircraft slots, Paulo Morais' utility SnapShot and hexediting have been used.
Special thanks to Col. Gibbon for the help with the hardpoints and Moggy for his great work on several shadow-files.

** Credits

Gladiator II (P51B slot) = skin and model by Woolfman
Huricane I (Tempest slot) = skin by Edward, model by Cpt. Kurt et al.
Hurricane IIB (Spit 9 slot) = skin by Mosi, model by Cpt. Kurt et al., cockpit by Migge
Hurricane IIC (Spit 14 slot) = skin by Mosi, model by Cpt. Kurt et al., cockpit by Migge
Spitfire V(Spit 2a slot) = model and skin by Flying Sheep
Tomahawk IIB (Typhoon slot) = skin by RedEyes et al., model by Cpt. Kurt
Kittyhawk IA (Hurricane slot) = skin, model and cockpit by Flying Sheep
Martlet III (P47C slot) = skin by Emil, model by Cpt. Kurt
Beaufighter IC (P38H slot) = skin by vonOben, model by Woolfman
Beaufighter VIC (P38J slot) = skin by vonOben, model by Woolfman
Blenheim IV (B26 slot) = skin by C. Wilches, model by Cpt. Kurt
Wellington I (Mosquito slot) = skin and model by Woolfman et al.
Halifax B.II (B17 slot) = skin by -E and RedEyes, model by Moggy
Liberator II (B24 slot) = skin by -E
Marauder I (Me410 slot) = skin by C. Wilches

CR-42 (P47D slot) = skin and model by Woolfman
MC-200 (P51D slot) = skin by HarryM et al., model by Cpt. Kurt, cockpit by C. Wilches
MC-202 (190A slot) = skin by F. Mele, model by Cpt. Kurt, cockpit by C. Wilches

Bf 109E-7 (109E slot) = skin by Mosi, model by Cpt. Manduca
Bf 109F-2 (109K slot) = skin by Mosi, model by Cpt. Manduca et al., cockpit by Migge
Bf 109F-4 (109G slot) = skin by Mosi, model by Cpt. Manduca et al., cockpit by Migge
Bf 109G-2 (190D slot) = skin by Migge, model by Cpt. Manduca et al.
Bf 110C-4 (110C slot) = skin and model by Serb
Bf 110E-1 (110G slot) = skin by Migge et al.
Me 210A-1 (Me262 slot) = skin and model by Serb
Ju 88A-10 (88A slot) = skin by Steve O'Leary
He 111H-6 (111 slot) = skin by J. Hamilton
Ju 52/3m (88C slot) = skin by Mosi, model by Cord
Ju 87D-3 (87 slot) = skin by Mosi, model by Paulo Morais & GhostBoy

German Droptank = skin by Mosi, model by Cpt. Manduca

** Problems and Bugs
- The cockpit of the Me 210A is created from pieces using different standard-cockpits. It was not possible due to the slot (262A) to add correct cockpit-gauches. As the 262a-slot does not support transparent propellors, the skin for the wingview is shared with the Bf 110C.

Note: This skinpack is far from being perfect!

------------------------------
Mosi, March 2002, for DAW
http://mosi.thrustmaster.com

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4623538 - 03/26/23 07:52 AM Re: Issues and information with the GoG and Steam releases [Re: MrJelly]  
Moggy Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Moggy  Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Hotshot

A slit trench at RAF Gravesend
I remember having this problem reusing the 262a slot in 128c times.

I'll check and see what I did in the original Dunkirk.

#4623543 - 03/26/23 01:54 PM Re: Issues and information with the GoG and Steam releases [Re: MrJelly]  
Moggy Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Moggy  Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Hotshot

It was basically slot-sharing. Here is Andy's email to me of 15th January 2003, nine months after that DAW readme:

Hi Moggy,

maybe I have something for you:
Chompy found out how to use the virtual cockpit transparencies in non
flyable slots also. So these can now completely be used within
campaigns. :o)
Greetings,
Andy.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 22:53:47 +1030
To: andy
Subject: 110 props for the 262

Hi Andy,
Here's the files I made up. The 262ay.3dz is the new twin props and uses the texture from the 110c.
The 262aU.3dz is the renamed 262 wingview (was Y) and still uses 262 textures. Just drop the files in and fly the 262 to check it out.

If you wanted to have, say the 110c wingview (or whatever aircraft suits best), just take the default 110cY.3dz from the CDF, convert to text and blank out the prop elements (which are E116 to E146), then save + convert it as the P****U.3dz of your particular slot. You will also have to rename the 262ay.3dz I made so that it suits your chosen slot, but I guess you already knew that!

Let me know if you have any questions. As I mentioned in the thread, you can shift the props to suit by adjusting the x y z values in the INSERT section. Hope this is some help to you. What aircraft are you planning to make flyable?

BTW, Mr J's method of using the 1st colour in the palette would be useful for doing the gunsight if you cannot access transparencies, but the only problem is that the textures will either be transparent or not - there are no in-betweens.

John.

Still, it worked very well:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Moggy; 03/26/23 01:55 PM.
#4623549 - 03/26/23 05:06 PM Re: Issues and information with the GoG and Steam releases [Re: MrJelly]  
Bruce Canzoli Offline
Bruce Canzoli  Offline

That's a great package, thank you very much.

I didn't notice any problems so far regarding the Malta skins. The only problem i encountered is that the Ardennes theatre seems to not load the winter terrain for me, doesn't matter the date or mode.

Thanks again you're awesome smile

#4625559 - 04/27/23 09:34 AM Re: Issues and information with the GoG and Steam releases [Re: MrJelly]  
Bruce Canzoli Offline
Bruce Canzoli  Offline

Hi again,
Is there a way to use tools like the Career Editor or Career linker in Win10? those don't run anymore because they are DOS programs.

#4625560 - 04/27/23 09:47 AM Re: Issues and information with the GoG and Steam releases [Re: MrJelly]  
Moggy Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Moggy  Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Hotshot

You could experiment with DosBox. I have successfully used it to run a number of EAW utilities thar W10 won't run.

#4625589 - 04/27/23 03:58 PM Re: Issues and information with the GoG and Steam releases [Re: Bruce Canzoli]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Hi again,
Is there a way to use tools like the Career Editor or Career linker in Win10? those don't run anymore because they are DOS programs.

If the main reason you want to use career editor is to switch planes, you can use an alternate method by utilizing the plane set maker program. It only takes a few clicks to edit a plane set to take out one plane and insert another. There are instructions around here somewhere but if not, I'd be happy to repost them for you.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.