Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4620998 - 02/17/23 08:44 PM My Top 100 Black Artists Songs + 50 [now 100] Runner Ups)  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I'm an old white Rocker who also likes old Country (as shown on my My Top 100 Country Music Songs thread). But sometimes I'm in the mood for more soul in my music (also my food smile ).

This thread, which I believe will conclude my 'Top 100' lists, is about the black artists who make up the bulk of my R&B/Soul/Motown (whatever you want to call it) sound. This selection is missing lots of Blues and Jazz and many lessor known songs as it's meant to be a selection of the more popular songs that get regular rotation in my playlists.

I want to note that race plays a major part of my music library organization, so much so that the majority of my main 'selection playlists' (the playlists I use to select songs from for making smaller playlists) are organized by race, as shown in this pic (B: black / W: white)...

[Linked Image]

My Top 100 Black Artists Songs...

[Linked Image]

Plus an additional 50 100 Runner-ups...

[Linked Image]

BTW, I use an old version of iTunes to organize my music library which consists of MP3s burned from my CD collection, plus a few supplemental Amazon MP3s.

++++++++++

There are some crossover sounds, of course. This dude is white...

Bobby Caldwell - What You Won't Do for Love (Album Version)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gru4IfbKlfU

...as are these guys... smile

Wild Cherry - Play That Funky Music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDZsNksbw2Q

...but not often do I get fooled the other way (although Living Colour fooled some people in the 80's).

I normally include these black-sounding artists in my 'soulful mood' playlists (there's not many of them).

Attached Files Music.jpgBlack_Top_100.jpgBlack_RU_100.jpg
Last edited by MarkG; 03/05/23 10:39 PM.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4621002 - 02/17/23 09:15 PM Re: My Top 100 Black Artists Songs (+ 50 Runner Ups) [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
UPDATE: I increased the Runner-ups to 100, which better reflects a representation of my choices. In other words, if there was such thing as a Black Jukebox, and it could hold only 200 songs, those would be my selections.

Missing due to space or not qualifying for what I was going for:

- one Chuck Berry (sorry Johnny B....trying to keep it '65-to-'95).
- one Johnny Nash (I go back and forth with the Bob Marley cover of "I Can See Clearly Now").
- the rest of Seal II album (a Brit, I thought he was Nigerian).
- any qualifying 007 James Bond themes.
- any qualifying songs from Footloose (Shalamar, Deniece Williams).
- need more George Benson (instrumentals and vocals).
- maybe more Whitney Houston (that I'd never admit to).
- definitely more Jimi Hendrix (this one hurt).
- Hues Corporation rocking the boat.
- Dazz Band letting it whip.
- S.O.S. Band taking their time and doing it right.
- DeBarge is holding Donna now and liking it. <- I brought these back and killed MJ's bad mirror gazing...depends on my mood.
- Billy Preston is going round in circles.
- Stephanie Mills who never knew love like this before.
- Gloria Gayner who will survive.
- Hot Chocolate who believes in sexy miracles.
- The Ohio Players who are ridding the love rollercoaster.
- Rose Royce who is working at the car wash.
- Luther Vandross who thinks it's never too much.
- Carl Carlton who has an everlasting love of bad mama jammas.
- Peaches & Herb who reunited to shake their groove thing.
- Boney M. who is taking the nightflight to Venus to see Rasputin.

Kudos to the sexy little Soul Train dancers I watched with adolescent fascination. Bandstand was boring by comparison. Plus the black chicks were skinnier.

++++++++++

White, or mostly white artists, with that funky groovy sound:

- Silver Connection who learned only eight words in English to record a song about a flying robin (Batman objected, he's no Superman).
- Average White Band who is picking up the pieces.
- What Bobby Caldwell won't do for love.
- Nicolette Larson who's got a lotta love.
- Wild Cherry who can play that funky music.
- Yvonne Elliman who can't have you and wants nobody else.
- Alicia Bridges who loves the nightlife.
- Sheena Easton who has that look according to Prince.

- "We Are The World"! Dammit! tuner

The sun is in the east
#4621037 - 02/18/23 07:17 PM Re: My Top 100 Black Artists Songs (+ 50 Runner Ups) [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
You knew some follow-ups were coming... smile

For as long as I can remember, clear versions of Jimi Hendrix's songs were a no-go on YouTube. Not anymore, and I want to share some of my favorite semi-hits that you may not have heard on the radio.

Top comment on first video...

==========
"1 month ago
Thank God above Jimis estate finally got over it. Finding only live versions of his music has been extremely frustrating."
==========

From this CD...
Experience Hendrix: The Best of Jimi Hendrix

Castles Made of Sand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MCCvY2oD2w

Bold as Love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYxfOxjswxc

Angel - Jimi Hendrix (with lyrics)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Jm2HoE6rw

The sun is in the east
#4621041 - 02/18/23 07:51 PM Re: My Top 100 Black Artists Songs (+ 50 Runner Ups) [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
When listening to the Commodores, I prefer the shorter versions of "Sweet Love", "This Is Your Life" and "Just To Be Close To You" (without all the talking) from their iconic 1978 Greatest Hits as shown below (I had the 8-track).

This album also includes the full version of "Three Times A Lady" (6:40), not the shortened version (3:40) that you sometimes hear on the radio which, among other things, cuts the nice harmonies out of the end of the song.

Attached Files Commodores.jpg

The sun is in the east
#4621044 - 02/18/23 08:05 PM Re: My Top 100 Black Artists Songs (+ 50 Runner Ups) [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Oh yeah, and a forgotten instrumental (music for the soul...I'm enjoying the funk out of this project! tuner )...

Love Unlimited Orchestra ~ Love's Theme 1973 Disco Purrfection Version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLTJ95kj9ng

The sun is in the east
#4621045 - 02/18/23 08:16 PM Re: My Top 100 Black Artists Songs (+ 50 Runner Ups) [Re: MarkG]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
my #1 black Artist Maxi Jazz RIP.

Last edited by dutch; 02/18/23 08:17 PM.
#4621047 - 02/18/23 08:41 PM Re: My Top 100 Black Artists Songs (+ 50 Runner Ups) [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
^ Thanks for sharing. If I understand correctly, when Disco was ruthlessly murdered in the US at a ballpark, it reincarnated in Europe as club-type music.

++++++++++

I don't know how well-known this band was/is, but apparently they once toured with Molly Hatchet (I would have enjoyed that immensely)...

MOTHER'S FINEST - Baby Love - Live At Rockpalast (live video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BcdaRmGtoU

The sun is in the east
#4621048 - 02/18/23 08:59 PM Re: My Top 100 Black Artists Songs (+ 50 Runner Ups) [Re: MarkG]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Guess you are from US, they are not a fan from techno, raven, gabber, mellow, Belgium newbeat, Manchester sound etc. Some say this all was invented at Detroit gay disco’s. Think before Detroit acid house there was Moroder. Just listen to the electric beat underneath the music, its btw from 1977.

Last edited by dutch; 02/18/23 09:14 PM.
#4621051 - 02/18/23 09:25 PM Re: My Top 100 Black Artists Songs (+ 50 Runner Ups) [Re: MarkG]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
B.B. King
Chuck Berry
Nina Simone
Ray Charles

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4621057 - 02/18/23 09:59 PM Re: My Top 100 Black Artists Songs (+ 50 Runner Ups) [Re: dutch]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by dutch
Guess you are from US, they are not a fan from techno, raven, gabber, mellow, Belgium newbeat, Manchester sound etc. Some say this all was invented at Detroit gay disco’s. Think before Detroit acid house there was Moroder. Just listen to the electric beat underneath the music, its btw from 1977.

That was...GOOD! <starts list for next Amazon MP3 purchase> thumbsup

BTW, I live in Louisiana (US Deep South). Age 55.

++++++++++

Speaking of gay discos... smile

So I'm going through my Diana Ross singles for this project, and I get to the familiar smash hit, "I'm Coming Out". Catchy tune, but now I'm wondering...was this a gay thing? Nah. Full lyrics don't indicate it as such, and Diana Ross certainly wasn't gay, AFAIK. But I'm kinda slow about these things sometimes (and apparently so was Diana, who didn't realize the song’s background until after she recorded it).

It was given to her by the dudes in Chic (who also weren't gay). They wrote it after seeing NYC drag queens imitating Diana Ross, thinking she had a fan base in that world so it ought to help make it a hit. She thought it was more of a female-empowering thing or something (I think) and after being told the full backstory, she thought releasing it was going to ruin her career. It just turned out to be a big hit.

Personally, I don't care (same with Frankie's "Relax"...just avoid the video smile ) as long as the lyrics are ambiguous enough, because I've been listening to these songs way before the internet and even before TV music videos, so I don't associate them with whatever they might truly be about. I have limits, but since my music library spans ~1965 to 1995 it's not a problem, especially considering these songs were played on family-friendly FM radio.

The sun is in the east
#4621068 - 02/19/23 01:26 AM Re: My Top 100 Black Artists Songs (+ 50 Runner Ups) [Re: McGonigle]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by McGonigle
B.B. King
Chuck Berry
Nina Simone
Ray Charles

Well, I've got a B.B. King and a Ray Charles, and I almost had a Chuck Berry who would have made another 50 Runner-ups listing, along with 3 or 4 more Diana Ross's. smile I don't know Nina Simone.

++++++++++

Really, I could have done at least 200 strong songs, and feel bad that at least some had to be left off to make room. My listings are in iTunes alphabetical order of artist, and I thought I'd post the beginning and ending songs as a good representation of the genre(s) represented here, in their studio form the way I listen to them...

Al Green - Let's Stay Together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COiIC3A0ROM

The 5th Dimension - (Last Night) I Didn't Get to Sleep at All (Official Audio)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niwt47gHtmM

Yeah, lots of romantic songs in this group (happy and sad), what this era of musicians did so well. I was always curious what the late-SimHQ poster Bearcat(?) played on bass, if he covered any of these songs.

++++++++++

Picking an absolute favorite in this selection is impossible, but with the wailing guitar and positive message, I'd go with...

The Gap Band - Yearning For Your Love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjT5ZCueNZo

Comments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pnPYbwqFZU

The sun is in the east
#4621072 - 02/19/23 02:33 AM Re: My Top 100 Black Artists Songs (+ 50 Runner Ups) [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
One more, just to ease off the sap a bit (I once had a crush on Marilyn McCoo) and add some groovy funk...

L.T.D. - Back In Love Again (1977 HD 720p)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er-CXTh4Ves

EDIT: My version is listed as Jeffrey Osborne (L.T.D.'s lead singer) and sounds exactly like this one (obviously studio audio for 1977), but at twice the time length (8:38 vs. 4:37).

Last edited by MarkG; 02/19/23 02:57 AM.

The sun is in the east
#4621079 - 02/19/23 08:04 AM Re: My Top 100 Black Artists Songs (+ 50 Runner Ups) [Re: MarkG]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Oke and now something not seriously, They told me this was the breakthrough for Donna Summer. Donna did like the show as she did visiting the tv show a couple of times. It was a great “over the top” parody based on serious modern music programs all over Europe, like Top of the pops in de UK and TopPop in the Netherlands. Yep a long time before MTV and all artists playbacking. The DaVinci he is talking about at the start of the YT, is Paul Da Vinci a singer from the UK, here also something went wrong when he did perform his song.

I think Donna did a great performance here.

#4621080 - 02/19/23 08:14 AM Re: My Top 100 Black Artists Songs (+ 50 Runner Ups) [Re: MarkG]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4621106 - 02/19/23 07:47 PM Re: My Top 100 Black Artists Songs (+ 50 Runner Ups) [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
dutch, That Donna Summer clip was out there. smile But interesting for being her breakthrough. BTW, I really dig this song...

Donna Summer - On The Radio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYEFTYzd7zA

As well as this movie clip with Donna Summer track... biggrin

Cheer Distraction. The Replacements (2000)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n3gS4Nkl_c

The sun is in the east
#4621109 - 02/19/23 08:11 PM Re: My Top 100 Black Artists Songs (+ 50 Runner Ups) [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
McGonigle, Nina Simone predates my listening preferences but still very listenable.

OTOH, I can find something that post-dates my preferences like "Megan Thee Stallion - Plan B" (watch video at your own risk, not safe for...anything) and I'd say give me Nina Simone all day. smile

I do have Billie Holiday's Greatest Hits however (19 songs)...

Billie Holiday - Solitude (Audio)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiU-O8arVa8

++++++++++

My mother was an amateur pianist pre-arthritis (the large Yamaha keyboard you see in some of my pics is actually hers, after giving the family piano to her sister as she didn't have room for it) and I'm sure hearing piano growing up affected my listening preferences to this day. Because songs like these will always be music for my soul...

The Commodores - "Easy" (1977)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saaLW0jiiUE

Commodores - Sail On

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg-ivWxy5KE

The sun is in the east
#4621112 - 02/19/23 08:35 PM Re: My Top 100 Black Artists Songs (+ 50 Runner Ups) [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
BTW, I picked the Bob Marley cover because I like his unique sound, but kudos to Johnny Nash, his original version I also have and enjoy...

Johnny Nash - I Can See Clearly Now (Official Audio)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0cAWgTPiwM

The sun is in the east
#4621115 - 02/19/23 09:06 PM Re: My Top 100 Black Artists Songs (+ 50 Runner Ups) [Re: MarkG]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Originally Posted by MarkG
McGonigle, Nina Simone predates my listening preferences but still very listenable.

I admit to being a fairly recent convert to the music of Nina Simone in my ongoing efforts to widen my musical tastes and gently trying to comprehend more Jazzy material. I confess still having a penchant for the more Bluesey stuff.

A classically trained and very accomplished pianist with a distinctive voice and at times a scary intimacy in her art, Nina Simone was a unique and true artist.

Thinking about Black artists and their music, we really find much of the foundation of Rythm’n’Blues, Rock’n’Roll, and Rock music.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4621116 - 02/19/23 09:28 PM Re: My Top 100 Black Artists Songs (+ 50 Runner Ups) [Re: McGonigle]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by McGonigle
Thinking about Black artists and their music, we really find much of the foundation of Rythm’n’Blues, Rock’n’Roll, and Rock music.

Yup, and not just the influences, but sometimes even the band names (a repeat of my comments from another thread)...

==========
"The name [Pink Floyd] is derived from the given names of two blues musicians whose Piedmont blues records Barrett had in his collection, Pink Anderson and Floyd Council."

"The band is just fantastic
That is really what I think
Oh by the way, which one's Pink?"

Right here...

[Linked Image]
==========

The sun is in the east
#4621117 - 02/19/23 09:44 PM Re: My Top 100 Black Artists Songs (+ 50 Runner Ups) [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Here's one that didn't make my list (although I really wanted "Never My Love" in my Top 100...had to make room)...

Marilyn McCoo Live"One Less Bell To Answer" on Solid Gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV5_MaKMyDg

A guilty pleasure maybe, but this woman's voice is just so soothing (especially on a quality recording...I have "The Ultimate 5th Dimension" CD - 21 songs).

I remember Solid Gold being a regular on the living room family TV.

The sun is in the east
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.