#4619038 - 01/20/23 11:59 AM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: wormfood]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by wormfood
Turns out I was only lvl 17 when I quit last night..

In case you are curious, the maximum character level in the game is 713. At that level you max out all of the attribute categories at 99.

To use the Spirit Ashes you need to equip it in one of your inventory pouches. You then select it by clicking on the square where you put the Spirit Ash. Do this immediately when you cross the "barrier of light" when fighting a boss.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4619062 - 01/20/23 04:26 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas
Had to google it and it turns out I also need a summoning bell.

#4619065 - 01/20/23 05:34 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: wormfood]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Had to google it and it turns out I also need a summoning bell.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that. One of the main story NPC's gives that to you early in the game. I can't remember the location where you find her but if you Google it I'm sure you'll find it.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4619085 - 01/20/23 08:53 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas
I did and I think I missed it. If you don't go to the church at night before going to the Roundtable Hold that NPC stops spawning there. Since I beelined though the first bits there it's too late to go back. Now I gotta fork over some more cash for the bell. Time to play toll collector again.....assuming those big guys with the cart respawn.

#4619125 - 01/21/23 11:52 AM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: wormfood]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I did and I think I missed it. If you don't go to the church at night before going to the Roundtable Hold that NPC stops spawning there. Since I beelined though the first bits there it's too late to go back. Now I gotta fork over some more cash for the bell. Time to play toll collector again.....assuming those big guys with the cart respawn.

ALL enemies in Elden Ring except bosses respawn when you die or when you use a site of grace.

#4619185 - 01/22/23 07:09 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas
So I got the summoning bell and just crushed the Beastman. It almost wasn't fair with those wolf summons. Did some more exploring around the map and killed the boss in the Deathtouched Catacombs. Feeling over confident, I went and tried Margit again. He wasn't having it. I did get fairly close to beating him though.
So I crushed the giants around Stormhill a few times, leveled to 42 and upgraded my sword and the summoned wolves. Went back and beat him. Then I proceeded to die a ton of times in that castle. New enemies with different moves that I wasn't accustomed made for a rough start to it. I could skip it for now since I found that path around it at the start, but I'm stubborn and need payback on those knights and some kinda giant spider thing in the kitchens.

#4619203 - 01/23/23 09:09 AM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: wormfood]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
So I got the summoning bell and just crushed the Beastman. It almost wasn't fair with those wolf summons. Did some more exploring around the map and killed the boss in the Deathtouched Catacombs. Feeling over confident, I went and tried Margit again. He wasn't having it. I did get fairly close to beating him though.
So I crushed the giants around Stormhill a few times, leveled to 42 and upgraded my sword and the summoned wolves. Went back and beat him. Then I proceeded to die a ton of times in that castle. New enemies with different moves that I wasn't accustomed made for a rough start to it. I could skip it for now since I found that path around it at the start, but I'm stubborn and need payback on those knights and some kinda giant spider thing in the kitchens.

Keep at it!

Stormveil Castle is a wonderful place to explore with tons of different and difficult enemies. And it will reward you with good loot and a huge amount of XP. yep

Time is the only luxury.
#4619209 - 01/23/23 11:27 AM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: wormfood]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Congrats on your progress wormfood and yes, those Forsaken Knights can be a huge PITA. Just wait until you come across your first Crucible Knight....

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 01/23/23 11:27 AM.

#4620414 - 02/09/23 07:49 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
How's your Elden Ring journey going wormfood? Even with 600 hours in the game I still have one "secret" area of the game world to visit. Two very tough bosses await me there.....

#4620425 - 02/09/23 11:55 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas
Haven't had too much time to play the last few weeks. Still stuck in Stormveil castle. I did find an alternate route going up to the top and jumping down, only to find a different kind of armored knight enemy that wasn't didn't take too kindly to me being there.
I did venture SE across a bridge only to run into a night cavalry guy, since the boss night cavalry keeps killing me I avoided him so I turned back to save that for a later date. Went up the the NE in a red part of the map and fought some zombie guys. They are technically easy since they're slow, but one mistake and half my health is gone and a bleed meter gets about 3/4 full and since they're in pack it's no picnic. Went past them and found some bird things and what looked like rats, but with dog heads. Those things are mean. So I went back to Stormveil and trekked north until I found ghosts which had some mean magic ranged attacks I couldn't really counter. Tried another route and found a dragon. Tried another and found a runebear that kept crushing me.

Despite those set backs I did level to 58 and kill several bosses in caves around the starting location including two knights (demihuman chiefs?), some burial dog thing, a different runebear, and pumpkinhead.

One thing that annoys me is the arenas. If you don't know where they are it's a drag when you stumble upon it and your only indication is when a rival player just spawns and starts smashing you. And if you had a bunch of runes, you can't go retrieve them because usually the same higher level player just spawns in and crushes you again. I did manage to beat one of them once with a couple lucky hits and a mistake by the other player. I could do without that part of the game.

Aside from the surprise PVP parts, exploring the map is fun and the sense of danger keeps you on your toes.

#4620428 - 02/10/23 02:10 AM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas
I did also kill the Tree Sentinel and a Boatman at Summonwater village. Explored the underground river and found the next site of grace. Tried to explore that, but there's some big and very mean blue guys don't take to kindly to me exploring down there.

#4620445 - 02/10/23 11:40 AM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Your game progression very closely mirrors mine as far as dying. The game is very unforgiving so it basically becomes a trial & error exercise of discovering what parts of the map you can explore and which enemies you can fight based on your character level.

Oh, the PVP "invasion" crap you can turn off. There's a setting under the options menu where you can disable player invasions. I did that right away when I first installed the game.

#4620459 - 02/10/23 01:06 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: wormfood]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee

I did venture SE across a bridge only to run into a night cavalry guy...

That was a good read, and encapsulates my impressions of the game (which I've never played)

I'll head this way. I won't.

There's a path, off I go. Not yet I don't.

How about here, the way looks clear. Oh, dear.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4620476 - 02/10/23 04:02 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas
That's exactly how it is. I just ping pong around the map seeing where I can go and what I can currently get away with. And every new enemy just smashes me the first time or two. Even if they technically aren't too difficult, it just takes a time or two to learn what it is they do and how I can counter it.

#4620698 - 02/13/23 01:48 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I had this video in my recommended viewing list yesterday. You have played enough of the game by now wormfood that I'm sure you'll get the humor. smile

#4620902 - 02/16/23 01:44 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas
Funny video PM. Kinda reminds me of this one:

Turns out I did have the multiplayer thing disabled and there's a couple NPC ones that will invade you. Once you kill them once, they're gone. So I killed a couple of them and a few more bosses. One of them was Patches and I was hitting a long windup attack when as surrendered and accidentally killed him. Turns out I could have used him as another merchant, oh well.

#4620903 - 02/16/23 01:46 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: wormfood]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
there's a couple NPC ones that will invade you. Once you kill them once, they're gone.

Oh yes, there are about 5 or 6 of those NPC invaders that you will encounter in certain areas of the game world. They are worth fighting because they drop some really good loot when you defeat them.

#4623458 - 03/24/23 02:38 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Ray tracing has been added to the game. I played it last night and it looks even more gorgeous.

#4623490 - 03/24/23 10:56 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
In case anyone is interested in sharing their character builds. Here's mine:

Attached Files 20230324173741_1.jpg

#4623612 - 03/27/23 04:07 PM Re: Let's talk Elden Ring [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Just gave Elden Ring a quick try again after PanzerMeyer mentioned Raytracing has been added.

Looks even better in some areas but it is too much of a performance hit on PS5 unfortunately.

Here is a picture of my character and the build I was using when I played the game some months ago in NG+.

Attached Files ELDEN RING™_20230327175537.jpgELDEN RING™_20230327175525.jpg

Time is the only luxury.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.