Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#4619321 - 01/24/23 07:21 PM Re: Possible Engine Mod [Re: Bletchley]  
Becker01 Offline
Becker01  Offline

Hallo,

@Bletchley,
I forgot to mention that the first error-message from the system was "SignalCrashEventAndWait: dump failed WAIT_object_0+1". This message was new and I haven't had it with the previous mod-versions. The runtime-error was the second message.

@orbyxP,
yes, test it!!! It is not good for this big and specific mod that only one user is testing it. @Bletchley needs more feedback, as @Pol has written on page 2: "Testing is the key - probably easier to test a base set, then extrapolate from there. It would need many missions, and preferably on different PCs, to get a feel of failure rate in sim - even then luck will play a part."

I will wait now for the next steps / results and will fly with the solution, I have written in my last posting: A small version from the EngineFailure-mod via jsgme, only with the actual campaign-relevant aircrafts.

Greetings

Last edited by Becker01; 01/24/23 07:22 PM.
#4619327 - 01/24/23 08:40 PM Re: Possible Engine Mod [Re: Bletchley]  
Bletchley Offline
Bletchley  Offline

Sent you the link orbyxP smile

#4619407 - 01/26/23 11:19 AM Re: Possible Engine Mod [Re: Bletchley]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Note all have to be on the same patch version for a start, as aircraft models all have to be the same version, exactly the same dates/file sizes etc for each PC.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4619442 - 01/27/23 08:54 AM Re: Possible Engine Mod [Re: Bletchley]  
Bletchley Offline
Bletchley  Offline

Thanks Polovski, I have checked and both Becker01 and OrbyxP are patched to 1.35. But I have re-read your advice and I think I may have the answer...

The xdp / bdp combo works on my PC because the bdp files are generated from the xdp files and therefore have a later time stamp, but when anyone else copies these files onto their PC, replacing the existing xdp and bdp files, they copy over together and therefore have the same time stamp applied to both xdp and bdp files (give or take a few seconds). The game software checks the xdp files when the first mission is run, and if the xdp files do not pre-date the bdp files then there is an assumption that the xdp files have been edited since the associated bdp files were generated, and the game therefore attempts to regenerate all those bdp files 'on the fly' (as it does if only the xdp files are copied over). I think I will need to repackage the mod into two 'aircraft' folders, one containing the xdp files (Part A) and the other containing the bdp files (Part B), with instructions to copy over (or activate via JSGME) the one containing the xdp files first (Part A), wait several minutes, and then copy over the one containing the bdp files (Part B). The time stamps for all the bdp files will then be later, on the player's PC, than the xdp files - so that the software, when it checks, will see that everything is then OK and will not try to regenerate the bdp files.

B.

Last edited by Bletchley; 01/27/23 08:57 AM.
#4619523 - 01/29/23 03:10 PM Re: Possible Engine Mod [Re: Bletchley]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Yes exactly is the xdp is newer - or the m3d model, at runtime new bdps will get generated for those aircraft with "newer" files than their bdp.

However, the .XDP and .bdp should not change "modified date" (note this is not the default "date" that windows explorer shows, change file explorer to show modified date) when you copy them in Windows maybe the JSGME tool is changing dates or something. The "Modified Date" is the important one and that would not change. However, there is a tool we made you can use (when you know for a fact the bdps match, the xdps are the same, and the models' m3d is the same as yours only).

They can try to run BDPStamp.exe in the Toolbox, which will set the date to the current time for all bdps.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4619537 - 01/29/23 07:57 PM Re: Possible Engine Mod [Re: Bletchley]  
Bletchley Offline
Bletchley  Offline

Ah, OK, thats great, thanks Polovski!

So if Becker01 and orbyxP download and copy in my file containing the paired xdp and bdp files (not using JSGME, but making a backup of the aircraft folder), and then run BDPStamp from the WOFF Toolbox this should square everything up, assuming that we are all on the same patch 1.35 and no one has modified any of the 3D models. When a campaign mission is then started there will be no mass regeneration of bdp files and everything should be OK , assuming that is the problem. Although, of course, as you say, the problem may be caused by JSGME time stamping files so that they can be rolled back.... smile

But splitting the mod into two , Part A with xdp files to be copied over first and Part B with matching post-dated bdp files to be copied over next, should do the same (and may be compatible with JSGME), and this may be easier and more reassuring for people than asking them to also run a utility from the WOFF Toolbox, so I will continue with this as well (and in case the above doesn't work).

Thank you!

B.

At least on my system the mod is working very well. Checking the Mission log I can see when engine failures start and how they progress, and aircraft within the mission area are now clearly drawing their instructions from the modified xdp files in the 'aircraft' folder and not the 'simulation' xdp file. In my last mission there were a total of 7 minor failures in the sector (those that increment very slowly), and only two of those aircraft had to break formation and return to their home field (which they did without crashing) and 2 major failures, one of which resulted in a fatal crash. One of those 'minor' failures was to my own aircraft, half way through the mission, but I managed to complete the mission and return (although the rotary engine was clanking and spitting oil by the time I landed) smile

Last edited by Bletchley; 01/29/23 08:24 PM.
#4619576 - 01/30/23 01:10 PM Re: Possible Engine Mod [Re: Bletchley]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Originally Posted by Bletchley

So if Becker01 and orbyxP download and copy in my file containing the paired xdp and bdp files (not using JSGME, but making a backup of the aircraft folder), and then run BDPStamp from the WOFF Toolbox this should square everything up, assuming that we are all on the same patch 1.35 and no one has modified any of the 3D models. When a campaign mission is then started there will be no mass regeneration of bdp files and everything should be OK , assuming that is the problem. Although, of course, as you say, the problem may be caused by JSGME time stamping files so that they can be rolled back.... smile

Yes as you say. I can't comment on how JSGME will handle it though.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4619665 - 02/01/23 05:52 AM Re: Possible Engine Mod [Re: Bletchley]  
Bletchley Offline
Bletchley  Offline

Thanks for taking the time to help with this Polovski.

I think JSGME might be part of the problem,but orbyxP seems to be finding anomalies that aren't related, but puzzling that files that work fine for me don't translate well when applied to other people's systems.

I will have to take a good look at the xdp/bdp combo to see if I have inadvertently introduced some corruption to some of the xdp files.

Becker01 is quiet, so I think he must have got the mod to work by loading just the modified xdp files in small batches and is now test-flying the result smile

B.

#4619711 - 02/01/23 07:24 PM Re: Possible Engine Mod [Re: Bletchley]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

We don't have a problem normally (we do this stuff the way I say to avoid these kinds of glitches) so something is amiss.`

Actually the right way to make them is :

Edit xdps as you like them, run the sim first (edit only a few at a time).

So
Best thing, edit SQD SQ1 of a few aircraft only (backup your whole aircraft folder elsewhere outside of WOFF).

Run WOFF. This generates proper bdps.

Run the cloner to clone all the aircraft. Run the BDPstamp

Then gather your xdps and bdps. Just running the bdpstamp won't work

OK that note I will leave you to it, hands full here..

If you want to only clone a few, then rename aircraft folder first to aircraftXXX make new temporary aircraft folder, copy in the sqd and sq1 of the aircraft needing to be cloned.
Run cloner. Wait a little while (30 sec- 1 min is best) then run BDPStamp.

Copy the new aircraft into aircraftxxx. Delete the temp aircraft folder, rename aircraftxxx back to aircraft. Test.

Rinse repeat with any other sets you do.

Last edited by Polovski; 02/01/23 07:31 PM.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4619720 - 02/01/23 08:35 PM Re: Possible Engine Mod [Re: Bletchley]  
Bletchley Offline
Bletchley  Offline

Thanks Polovski, I really do appreciate the time that you are taking away from WOFF and WOTR development to help with this.

I will go back to the beginning and do it the way you advise!

Thanks,

B.

#4619844 - 02/03/23 06:31 AM Re: Possible Engine Mod [Re: Bletchley]  
Bletchley Offline
Bletchley  Offline

Hi Becker01/OrbyxP and all those who have contributed up to now.

I am going to put my attempt to make this Engine Failure mod by editing the individual aircraft xdp files on hold.

Although I have been able to get it to work on my system, and think that with persistence and following Polovski's advice, I could eventually produce a mod that is easily transferable to other systems, the effort and time required to to do this (and then to do it again, every time a new patch or version of WOFF is released by the developers) is going to make it impractical as a mod. The idea of editing the individual aircraft xdp is, I think, in theory a good one and has several advantages over the alternative one of editing the generic 'simulation' file, but in practice it is likely to be unworkable unless it be done in such a way as to be easy to install and update (and I can't think of any easy way to do the latter, although the former might be possible). The alternative, of making several edited 'simulation' files that can be swapped in and out for different engine types is less satisfactory but more workable, I think, as it is easier to update and less likely to introduce problems, as only one file (in several different versions) needs to be edited and updated rather than 800 plus!

If anyone else wants to have a go and to carry on with this approach based on editing the aircraft xdp files, then I am happy to pass on my folder of 800 plus edited aircraft xdp files!

B.

#4619898 - 02/03/23 09:18 PM Re: Possible Engine Mod [Re: Bletchley]  
Becker01 Offline
Becker01  Offline

Hallo @Bletchley,

yes, I test your mod with the small version I have mentioned above and it works without any issues! I have flown Recon Wars with Aviatik C1 almost 40 missions with default without any EngineFailure. And with your mod I have a disruption with the second mission.
I can only test at the weekend so it will take time for a better feedback (sorry!).

I can understand absolutely your argumentation you have written the posting before. I will fly with the small version from your mod furthermore. But if you have a new idea or an idea with the simulation-file (not specific for every aircraft but more workable) so let me know.

Greetings!

P.S.: I have read your P.M. a few minutes ago, maybe a new step forward.

#4619923 - 02/04/23 06:35 AM Re: Possible Engine Mod [Re: Bletchley]  
Bletchley Offline
Bletchley  Offline

Hi Becker01, thanks, I am glad that you have got it to work on your system (at least a small version).

As expected, installing the latest WOFF patch 1.36 has replaced most of the aircraft xdp files on my system with the standard WOFF aircraft xdp (including the Aviatik C1).

I haven't given up entirely on the idea of a mod that changes the aircraft xdp files, just put it on 'hold' until I can come up with some idea to make updates easier (or until someone else can do the same), and will concentrate for now on a mod that contains a number of 'Simulation' variants for swapping in and out.

B.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.