Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4619625 - 01/31/23 12:32 AM Crash to Windows  
jnhoward Offline
jnhoward  Offline

somerset
3 months ago I pulled out the LAN internet cable while it was all live, and messed up my comp' big stile. Sent it down the shop for repair, but all games & everything on 'C' was lost.
When I got it back I installed WOTR and WOFF recon wars & patches. before reinstalling Norton. Then excluded games from security, along with patches'
All seemed fine with quick missions until I started a career. Get to end mission, press Ctrl + Q as usual , but when I hit Return both games crash straight to Windows.
It's like I bought a car 3 years ago and spent two and a half years under the bonnet/hood.
Lost count of how many times I've reinstalled these games, but nine out of ten times I find I have wasted another 2 or 3 hours, after all the joystick and button configs, DX9 and JSGME. Talk about temperamental, seem to get a different problem every time.
Is there anything I can do without installing it all over again ??
Had them both working perfectly before I messed up my C drive.
I guess the problem is with Norton, I can't blame AMD for everything!. So looked on YouTube and read some reviews, and all seem to think Norton is best for gaming. So that wasn't much help.
Pol said he uses Kaspersky [or whatever it's called]. Well I almost bought it until I realized it's Russian. So that's a big NO NO.
Any suggestions ?. Getting Really fed up with all the wasted time.
Got most of what that inferior Russian game has to offer but I can't get immersed in it coz the game play is crap.
I have been looking forward to Battle of France, but If I can't get this sorted 'easily' soon, I wont be paying for more hassle.
Thanks for any easy solutions !..

#4619626 - 01/31/23 01:04 AM Re: Crash to Windows [Re: jnhoward]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Hi JnHoward, whilst not sure of what's exactly happening but i will say this..I've used Kaspersky for nearly 10 years and i've had zero issues with both WOFF and WOTR, infact No titles have ever given me an issue and (touch wood) nothing nasty has ever got through

i'm not sure who raves about Norton but personnally speaking i wouldn't touch it and i've gamed since the 80,s had it pre installed on a rig i purchased many years ago i uninstalled it within half an hour.( I'll personally also add McAFee to that i hated it). You mention Kaspersky being a big No No but you've purchased "most" of what the inferior Russian game has to offer so Russian and..Russian haha, I grab a cheap key from ebay every 12 months and it's never given me a issue (I live in the UK also).

Has far as im aware Pol doesn't use Kaspersky i believe he uses ESET NOD32..hopefully he'll come along and advise.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4619682 - 02/01/23 01:02 PM Re: Crash to Windows [Re: Adger]  
jnhoward Offline
jnhoward  Offline

somerset
Hi Adger. Thanks for the reply.
Yes unfortunately I got all the recent IL-2 stuff nearly 2 years ago on early access pre order, well before Ukraine kicked off.
Just a bit concerned about having Russian internet security at this time. Call it personal sanctions.
So looking for the next best thing. Never heard of ESET NOD34 before, I will look it up.
I started off on the Amiga playing Gunship and F-15 strike eagle. When that platform ended, I got a PC with Norton installed I've had loads of agro ever since. Just thought it was me being 'thick', never put it down to Norton.
Never had any issue 'Steam' downloads for some strange reason.
But Norton has got to go. so need a sign post.
Thanks..

#4619708 - 02/01/23 06:38 PM Re: Crash to Windows [Re: jnhoward]  
jnhoward Offline
jnhoward  Offline

somerset
Hello again. Just looked on google at ESET NOD32. And says it's OK, but has some connection with the Donbas Terrorists. They'er everywhere !..

#4619713 - 02/01/23 07:53 PM Re: Crash to Windows [Re: jnhoward]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Hi JnHoward, had a nosy myself and quite a few reviewers seem very happy with Bitdefender..not used it myself though..hoping you get sorted soon mate.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4619755 - 02/02/23 10:20 AM Re: Crash to Windows [Re: jnhoward]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

I use ESET - used it for about 15-20 years, it has worked brilliantly. Norton we have a had a few users with issues. A couple of people through support had to totally uninstall it before WOTR or WOFF worked. It even did not work when they "excluded" WOFF/WOTR and files, so it shows that Norton is still active somehow. They bought different AV after that!
I personally also had many issues years ago, similar experiences as some users used it where I used to work.

You could also try setting WOTR.exe to "run this as an administrator" from the icon, right click properties, compatibility, tick / check "Run this program as an administrator" apply.
(same for WOFF.exe if that works).

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4624515 - 04/10/23 06:26 PM Re: Crash to Windows [Re: jnhoward]  
jnhoward Offline
jnhoward  Offline

somerset
Hello I'm back, and all is pretty good.
Finally got rid of Norton. what a difference, I went for Bitdefender in the end. Installed WOTR, with no issues ( I did exclude it just in case). Played a few missions, and all ran better than I've ever seen it before.
I installed BoF. Still no issues, really happy with that !.
I did have a major disaster 2 days later, but that's not your fault. I got the pop up invitation for Windows 11. So I thought what's the harm. Well it didn't work for me. After the 4th boot up it went into the 'recovery loop', which I couldn't get myself out of. So that cost me £85 to put right.
Installed WoFF, it runs and plays really well.
Your BoF expansion is a massive improvement, good work. The coast looks better and the dockyards look much better, big improvement trying to cover up those black squares in the landscape too.
One thing I can't help noticing every flight is I can't see any visible air fields. To land I'm using the TAC display as a sort of ILS. I'm getting the field boundary's cutting though the airfields.
And one more, I have a pilot in RAF17, BOB. I've flown 10 missions now, I started with 'light activity' and gone all the way to 'heavy' now. My very first flight was a very pleasing affair, I took out two JU88s on the same pass, looked behind and saw 4 shoots, BIG smiles.
But since then only 1 mission has seen any enemy aircraft at all. It's the middle of August 1940, there should be something in the air between 'Debden' and 'Folkstone'. It says on the brief that we're 'not fully operational yet' (still), but send out 12 Huri's on fruitless routine flights. Where are the 'Scrambles'???.
Thanks for all the previous suggestions. Hopefully Getting rid of Norton should sort most things out.
Thanks again.

#4624702 - 04/13/23 09:15 PM Re: Crash to Windows [Re: jnhoward]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Glad it's better jnh, yes Norton for me over decades I keep a wide berth. Something is screwy there, no airfields??? Never heard of anything like that. Do you have a screenshot?

What airfield complexity?

No airfields anywhere at all?

If you are NON OPERATIONAL then the clue is right there. You will need go to a squad that IS operational for more action, obviously. You could try with "regional flights" turned on (workshop, more settings).

I'd say do a clean UNINSTALL as per the FAQ section 17, then install again, with Bitdefender temp turned off.
Backup your wotrkeys.xca to keep your controller settings if you set those up.
C:\Users\YOUR-LOGON-NAME\AppData\Roaming\OBD_Games\OBDWW2 Wings Over The Reich

Last edited by Polovski; 04/13/23 09:16 PM.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.