jerbear  Offline

i think you'll like the next one even better. salute

#4641321 - 01/19/24 05:43 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

[Linked Image]

Mittwoch, 19. Dezember 1917

Flliegerwetter.

It snowed again in the night, and this morning feathers continue to fall from Frau Holle’s pillows*.

*Frau Holle’s pillows – Pre-Christian goddess in Germanic culture, widely known in German popular culture and made famous in the Grimm fairy tale called ‘Old Mother Frost’ in English. There are variations to the story.
Her ‘feather pillows’ are a metaphor for snow or snow clouds.
Holle is one of the names for the early Germanic mother goddess and predates their pantheon, including Woden/Odin, Thor, Loki and others. She is the goddess to whom children who died as infants go, and she is known to reward or punish the good and the bad.
She is alternatively known as both the Dunkle Großmutter (Dark Grandmother) and the Weisse Frau (White Lady), elements which are more typically associated with the Grimms' fairy tale as well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Early in the morning, I drive the Benz eight km to Phalempin with Paul sitting in the back like a Hochnasig General.* The snow has been cleared from the roads but there are some drifts where the road has been re-covered.

We have to pass through a checkpoint as we approach the train station. The guards speak to Paul, rather than me, and they treat him as though he’s someone of great importance, though his rank insignia does not indicate this.

One can’t be too careful with people being driven around in the back of staff cars.

He returns their salutes in the casual way of an Etappenschwein Stabsoffizier. After we’re cleared to proceed he orders me, “Get going my man, there is no time to waste!”

“Jawolle, mein furchtloser Anführer.”**

The place is heavily protected with machine guns and there are Flakkanone everywhere.

*High nosed General
** yes my fearless leader

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 19 DEZ AVELIN IN THE SNOW.jpg19 DEZ AC FRAU HOLLE.jpg19 DEZ AG BENZ.jpg19 DEZ FI PHALEMPIN DISTANCE.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 01/19/24 05:46 PM.
#4641322 - 01/19/24 05:49 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

CAPTION: This is Phalempin airfield 3 May 1918

[Linked Image]

CAPTION: This is a view of Phalempin as reproduced in the Consolidated Custom Facilities Airfields Mod for WOFF BHHII by Robert Wiggins.
According to the Mods page, Rob had the input of ‘Panama Red,’ ‘RAF Louvert,’ ‘Oldhat,’ and ‘Geezer.’ Along with assistance from Jim Miller, “Olham,’ ‘Raine,’ Shredward,’ and Fullofit.’
The weather used for this scenario is from BuckeyeBob’s Optional Clouds Mod version 5.0, PR (Panama Red) Snow Clouds.
He had the assistance of ‘Panama Red,’ in the creation of this Mod.
Thanks to all of you for your effort in these excellent Mods.

Attached Files 19 DEZ PHALEMPIN MAP.jpg19 DEZ FG PHALEMPIN PHOTO.jpg19 DEZ FH PHALEMPIN MOD.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 01/19/24 05:51 PM.
#4641324 - 01/19/24 05:54 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

We cross the tracks and pass between the rail station and a number of warehouses to reach the airfield on the other side of the village. There’s a bakery and a small café which we plan to stop by on our way back to Avelin.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

CAPTION: I asked Robert Wiggins about the names of these two establishments.

He messaged back – “Ah, yes, rather confusing! Bourdaleu is the name of a French tart "not to be confused with ladies of the night". It is not a common pastry. It consists of poached pears with almond slivers on top and a glaze. I also searched the web for clarification but there is little to be found. Both the cafe and the bakery are fictionalized for Phalempin, but the cafe is a stolen fixture from Covent Gardens where it is reputed that Thomas de Quincy 1785-1859 wrote "Confessions of an English Opium Eater" in an upstairs apartment. I doubt these explanations can work their way into your story.”

Oh yeah?

Attached Files 19 DEZ FJ PHALEMPHIN RAIL STATION A.jpg19 DEZ FK PHALEMPIN RAIL STATION B.jpg19 DEZ FJA PHALEMPIN WAREHOUSES.jpg19 DEZ FL PHALEMPIN TOWN.jpg19 DEZ FM PHALEMPIN BAKERY.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 01/19/24 05:56 PM.
#4641325 - 01/19/24 05:59 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I park the Benz behind the tent hangars and as we get out I see Leutnant von der Marwitz walking his dog.

He’s not wearing his Uhlan uniform now, just a rather generic tunic, but well-tailored.

I come up and salute him while Paul, his equal in rank, if not in social standing, bows. Marwitz replies to both gestures together, which looks a bit comical.

“Who is your friend Herr Leutnant?

“This is my Duc.”

Paul and I greet Duc in the way one of his social standing is greeted, with pats and scratches. He’s a well-cared for and happy dog, a Pyrenean Shepherd.

I ask if I may take a picture of the Leutnant and his friend, to which the reply is in the affirmative.

[Linked Image]

CAPTION: This is one of the many little details you will find all over this airfield Mod. It was obviously a labor of love, and I think Rob is still improving it.

Attached Files 19 DEZ FNA AIRFIELD A.jpg19 DEZ FNB PHALEMPIN AIRFIELD B.jpg19 DEZ FNC PHALEMPIN AIRFIELD C.jpg19 DEZ FO MARWITZ AND DUC.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 01/19/24 06:00 PM.
#4641326 - 01/19/24 06:04 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

Holthusen comes from the nearby Ready Hut with his Jack Russell Terrier, Puck and another Leutnant, Kurt Katzenstein, with his canine friend Beppo,* another Jack Russell pup.

These three are good friends and all about the same age. They’re a very merry group and I warm to them, even von der Marwitz, especially after seeing him with Duc. I judge a man by the way he treats his animals.

*Duc and Puck were the dogs of Marwitz and Holthusen. Beppo actually belonged to their previous Offz. Z b V, Ltn Douglas Schnorr, who left the Staffel in October 1917. I don’t know if Katzenstein had a pet. I liked the name and so I gave it to him.

Beppo is a common nickname for Josef. I don't know where that one comes from, but there it is.

[Linked Image]

CAPTION: Left to right is Marwitz, Katzenstein and Holthusen

[Linked Image]

The Jack Russell is very popular with this bunch, all from the same litter. I meet several others, whom we see and speak to. In the Ready Hut, we are greeted by yet another. This one belongs to the Staffelführer.
Bethge is well liked and when his pilots speak of him they usually say, “good old Bethge.”

Attached Files 19 DEZ FP THE THREE LEUTNANTS.jpg19 DEZ fr PUCK AND DUC.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 01/19/24 06:05 PM.
#4641327 - 01/19/24 06:11 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

After a bit of refreshment, in the form of ersatz coffee and rum, the three musketeers take us on a tour.

I promise to see if I can do something for them in the way of coffee, stocks are rather low at this point, but Malmann and I can probably find something. I’ll try to keep Malmann from sticking it to them.

They have a captured Camel from Number 28 Squadron, which is now outside its hangar. Holthusen tells me about its capture.

On 11 Oktober, he had just returned from a patrol of two Ketten and was sitting in the Readiness Hut on standby. The other two Ketten had just gone out.

Suddenly he and his Staffel-Kameraden heard the sounds of the engine of an approaching aircraft. They went out on the terrace, and to their astonishment, saw a Camel slowly glide towards the field, land and taxi. The red, white and blue cockades could be seen clearly on the Flugzeug.

They ran as quickly as they could to the machine as the pilot climbed out and walked towards them. They had their flying outfits on and therefore could not be recognized as Germans at first sight.

The pilot, 2/Lt W.H. Winter of 28 Squadron RFC, evidently thinking they were French, politely asked for 'essence’ and ‘castor oil’.

When he received a reply in German he was completely taken aback.

Ltn Douglas Schnorr, the Ozbv, explained to him then, in his best English, that he was on a German airfield and that he was now their prisoner.

The Cockades were overpainted and the Camel is being used by the pilots of Jasta 30 to test and familiarize themselves with it. Bethge is very fond of flying it. He is out by the machine at this moment, talking to his Motorschlaßer.

These flights have to be reported to the Kolf and the Camel is always accompanied by an Albatros from the Staffel for protection.

We begin our tour with a look at this Camel.

I plan to speak to Vater to see if he can persuade our Guja to allocate some time for our Staffel before the Camel has to be turned in to Armee-Flug-Park 6.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

CAPTION: This is the 28 Squadron Camel that landed for fuel at Phalempin on 11 October

TO BE CONTINUED

Attached Files 19 DEZ GB READY HUT A.jpg19 DEZ GD READY HUT B.jpg19 DEZ GF CAPT CAMEL A.jpg19 DEZ GG CAPT CAMEL B .jpg19 DEZ GGA CAPT CAMEL C.jpg19 DEZ GH CAPTURED CAMEL.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 01/19/24 06:17 PM.
#4641348 - 01/19/24 11:48 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Jerbear, love how you worked the Phalempin airfield into the story!!
The souvenir British tail sections on the roof of the dromes probably were a factor as to why tha Camel landed there.

Looking forward to the continuation.

Thanks for recognizing the contributors input to this molded airfield. It's appreciated!

Best Regards

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 01/19/24 11:49 PM.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4641351 - 01/20/24 02:23 AM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

beercheers

#4641458 - 01/22/24 12:41 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

19.Dezember 1917 CONTINUED

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Another item of interest on the tour is the Trophy Rudder Collection on the roofs of some of the hangars. This collection, in part, led to the British Lieutenant Winter’s mistaken assumption that Phalempin was an Entente airfield.

The first aircraft we look at is Holthusen’s ‘Korkenzieher ‘(‘Corkscrew’.) He’s painted his Albatros with a spiral band in the red and white colors of his home town, Hamburg, where he was following in his father’s footsteps as a merchant before the war began.

After I photograph him with the Albatros, he has to excuse himself. They have some guests coming from the hospital, Marwitz’s sister and some of the other nurses from her field hospital.

Holthusen functions as the Staffel gourmet and chef. So he must prepare a large meal, to which we are invited as well.

[Linked Image]

off_Alb_DV_later_Ace_t_Jasta 30 1917_Hans_Holthusen –Based on information found in ROYAL PRUSSIAN JAGDSTAFFEL 30 by Bruno Schmäling and Winfried Bock.
The skin is far from being a fully accurate representation of his “corkscrew.” I was simply not able to do it as it actually appeared, but made this one so he would have something similar to fly.

Attached Files 19 DEZ GK WEATHERVEINS.jpg19 DEZ GM MOTOR POOL.jpg19 DEZ JB HOLTHUSEN CORKSCREW.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 01/22/24 12:43 PM.
#4641459 - 01/22/24 12:46 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

von der Marwitz takes over as tour guide and shows me his KIste. He turns out to be a quite gracious and affable host, with the easy manner of one to whom things usually come without too much effort on their part.

He points to his light blue cap band and tells me that the cowling and trim are a gesture of respect for his Stammregiment, Ulanen Regiment Hennings von Treffenfeld Nr. 16. A fact that I had already ascertained.

This is quite usual with officer pilots. They like to use the colors of their parent regiment or service branch. That’s one of the reasons why there are so many black machines being flown by officers from the artillery branch.

He mixed the wine red color himself, to match his favorite beverage. Then spent the evening with his Schwarzer Mann, painting the KIste and drinking two bottles of the stuff.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

off_Alb_DV_later_Ace_t_Jasta 30 1917_Hans-Georg von der_Marwitz – WOFF provides no DV skin for Marwitz. This “wine red” DV is based on Profile 26 by James F. Miller in ROYAL PRUSSIAN JAGDSTAFFEL 30 by Bruno Schmäling and Winfried Bock. The light blue cowling is to honor his original cavalry unit.

Attached Files 19 DEZ JJ MARWITZ A.jpg19 DEZ JJ MARWITZ B.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 01/22/24 12:47 PM.
#4641460 - 01/22/24 12:54 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

We go to the next tent hangar, where Staffelführer Bethge’s Albatros and Pfalz are housed.

His Albatros is in excellent shape, but the color he uses for identification is rather dull, gray with a broad white stripe. Marwitz says he calls it his “Maus.” He allowed his pilots to each choose a color for their birds. After that was done, there was little to choose from that would be easily differentiated, so a gray mouse it was. It actually looks rather distinguished.

Bethge also has a Pfalz as a second machine. This displays an orange tail and a large orange lozenge, outlined in black on each side of the fuselage and on the upper and lower surface of the horizontal plane. Another of these large lozenges is on the upper wing.

The Staffel’s aircraft are in transition in two ways. First, they’re replacing their Albatrosn with the new version of the Pfalz. Something most of them are unhappy about, Marwitz included. Those who can, are holding on to their Albatros as long as they can, so the Staffel’s aircraft are mixed.

The other transition is the Staffelkennung (Staffel marking), which Kolf required Bethge to choose and employ. He chose the orange lozenge. Some of the aircraft have them and some do not as yet. Bethge doesn’t consider the matter urgent.*

I think it looks garish and ruins the look of some of the markings on the aircraft, but esthetics are a secondary consideration.

*This is not true. Jasta 30 has been using the lozenge marking since mid-November.
The time period in which the Staffel uses this marking is from sometime in September and beyond. I had to choose whether to make the aircraft as they would have appeared before the marking or after, since this would all be within the same 1917 markings division in WOFF.
I chose, simply out of personal preference, to make the Albatrosn without the marking, and the Pfalz, which came later, with. I think it ruins the look of the Albatros.

[Linked Image]

off_Alb_DV_later_Ace_t_Jasta 30 1917_Hans_Bethge – According to ROYAL PRUSSIAN JAGDSTAFFEL 30 by Bruno Schmäling and Winfried Bock, the Jastaführer called this his “Mouse.” The reason for this rather dull looking gray fuselage with broad white stripe was that he had allowed his pilots to choose the paint schemes for their aircraft and no other easily differentiated color was left. The plane is as depicted by James F. Miller in Profile 32 of that book.

[Linked Image]

off_Pfalz_DIIIa_ace_t_Jasta 30 1917_Hans_Bethge – The original WOFF skin for Obltn Bethge was based on incorrect photo captioning in a number of publications, while his skin was attributed, for the same reason to von der Marwitz.
This replacement skin is based on a profile, photos and information given to Bruno Schmäling, to be found in ROYAL PRUSSIAN JAGDSTAFFEL 30 by Bruno Schmäling and Winfried Bock.

Attached Files 19 DEZ JG BETHGE MAUS.jpg19 DEZ JH BETHGE PFALZ.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 01/22/24 12:55 PM.
#4641461 - 01/22/24 12:59 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

Several pilots are now gathered around our tour group, and the inevitable discussion about the relative merits of the Albatros and Pfalz begins.

My advocacy of the Pfalz puts me in the minority in this discussion.

They were particularly unhappy with the Pfalz DIII’s which were assigned to them briefly on 6 Dezember. The slightly improved DIIIas now being allocated are better, but considered by most of them to be difficult to fly, unpleasant to land, and fairly trouble-prone.

To their mind, even if the Albatros DV and DVa are inferior to the latest Entente fighters and even many of the two-seaters, then this is even more true of the Pfalz DIIIa, despite its nominally comparable flight performance.

Marwitz himself, among others, actually prefers the Albatros DIII over the DV and held onto his as long as possible as well.

I mention that I was quite fond of the DIII OAW myself and feel a pang of guilt again over poor Beomia.

Some of them therefore swear that they’ll give up their Albatrosn when their cold dead hands are pried off them, no matter what Kolf orders.

The next aircraft I get to have a look at belongs to another of the Kette leaders, Leutnant Paul Erbguth, a Saxon from Reichenbach. He’s a little older than most of the pilots, twenty-seven, close to the age I appear to be and the age of his Staffelführer, whom they consider a bit old and is like a father to them. In peacetime, Erbguth was studying engineering.

He has a weathered appearance and an aquiline nose. He, for one, actually uses his cane for something other than an affectation and walks with a limp from a wound he received in 1915, while with the Saxon Territorial Reserve Infantry.

He’s one of the Albatros camp and is still flying his. He has it painted in the Saxon green and white, with a bright red cursive ‘E’ on each side of the fuselage and black outline on the rudder. This black trim used to be a marking used by the Ketteführer at an earlier time in the Staffel’s history.

About the Pfalz the Staffel is now receiving, he says, “It’s all politics. The Bavarian government wants their Pfalz-Flugzeugwerk in Speyer working at full capacity. So they applied pressure to have not only the Bavarian Staffeln equipped with them, but the Saxon, Württemburg, and even some of the Prussian units as well.”

“They should have been forced to retool their workshops and produce the Albatros Dva instead. But the Bavarians think only of themselves. Look at the way the Amerika Programm is being implemented, again a Bavarian idea, pulling good pilots and crew out of existing units, so they can have their own separate, regional Staffeln.”

We speak also of the likelihood of being pulled out of our current Jagdstaffel and placed in a Saxon one. I know that I’m unlikely to be exempt from this eventuality.

Erbguth shows Paul and I how he had the lower wings strengthened on his Albatros and explains the calculations he used to accomplish this. A bit over my head, but Paul seems to have a good grasp of it and he plans to do the same. I’ll stick with Antiope.

[Linked Image]

off_Alb_DV_later_Ace_t_Jasta 30 1917_Paul_Erbguth - This skin is based on color profile 16, by James F. Miller, in ROYAL PRUSSIAN JAGDSTAFFEL 30 by Bruno Schmäling and Winfried Bock.

Page 63 of the above book states; “the fuselage of Paul Erbguth’s Albatros DV D.1042/17 was painted green, the tail was white, representing the colors of the Kingdom of Saxony. On both sides of the fuselage the letter “E” (in cursive) was applied in red.” Later he added a black outline to the rudder. A photo of this aircraft, before the black stripe was added, can be found on page 31 of the book.

The black outlined rudder was usually the mark of a Ketteführer before the orange lozenge Staffel marking was introduced. After that, a lozenge was painted on the top wing instead. I made no attempt to place the serial number on the vertical stabilizer as warpage in the model on the right side prevents this. A number of WOFF skins have the serial number on the vertical stabilizer, but also have this warpage and it looks strange. Let’s just say he had it painted over when he added the black rudder outline. Shall we?

I know that I make frequent comments about warpage on the 3D models and I’m sure it sounds like a complaint. It is not.

Warpage is just a beast you have to deal with on a model. It’s gonna happen.

The way I look at it, and I may be too simplistic, since I’m not all that knowledgeable about game graphics, is that you’re encountering the same problem you might find when you wrap an object in gift wrap. A toy airplane or car for instance.

You have a flat piece of wrapping paper and you want to cover the object, but retain its basic shape. There’s no way of avoiding fold overs, wrinkles and creases.

When you put a graph on the 3D model skin you can see these warpage areas.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 19 DEZ JE ERBGUTH.jpg19 DEZ 3D Model graf.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 01/22/24 01:00 PM.
#4641462 - 01/22/24 01:03 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

A creamy white Albatros with Bundfarbenaufdruck* on the wings is being pulled out of one of the tent hangars, so we go over. This is the ‘Zuckerei’ (‘Sugar Egg,’) so named because the white paint over the yellow wood fuselage so resembles this confection. It’s the steed of another young nobleman, Leutnant Rudolf Freiherr von der Horst zu Hollwinkel. von der Horst has a great fondness for candy and sweets of all kinds, especially for sugar eggs, which his mother regularly sends to him. Even while flying he often can be seen nibbling candy.

von der Horst, I found, was a quiet young man. From his manner and bearing I concluded that he isn’t well suited for military life.

The others told me that this is quite true of him. His bent is more towards philosophy and poetry. He comes from an old line of nobility and is in some way related to the Secretary of State and a number of high ranking officers.

* waistband color print – this term is used as a generic description for colored prints, including the Lonzenge camouflage patterns used by the Germans.

[Linked Image]

off_Alb_DV_later_Ace_t_Jasta 30 1917_Rudolf Freiherr von der_Horst – There is no OBD skin for Horst. This aircraft is as depicted in profile 28 by James F. Miller in ROYAL PRUSSIAN JAGDSTAFFEL 30 by Bruno Schmäling and Winfried Bock.
This Albatros was referred to as his “Sugar Egg.” According to the above book Horst’s comrades chose white for him because of his fondness for these candies. Because the white paint was applied to an unprimed plywood fuselage, the result was a cream color similar to the color of sugar eggs. I recreated this by lowering the opacity of a white albatross overlaying a plain plywood one.

Attached Files 19 DEZ JC HORST SUGAR EGG.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 01/22/24 01:03 PM.
#4641463 - 01/22/24 01:07 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

In the adjoining hangar tent is another Pfalz. This one belonging to Leutnant Erich Kaus, who is not present. It has the orange Staffelkennung and is painted with yellow stripes from behind the engine cowl to the tail. These stripes, combined with the silver fuselage, represent the colors of the Kingdom of Hannover, substituting the silver for white.

[Linked Image]

off_Pfalz_DIIIa_ace_t_Jasta 30 1917_Erich_Kaus - WOFF provided no Pfalz Skins for Erich Kaus. This skin is based on a profile, photos and information given to Bruno Schmäling to be found in ROYAL PRUSSIAN JAGDSTAFFEL 30 by Bruno Schmäling and Winfried Bock. The profile of this plane is #43 by J.F. Miller.
I did not follow Miller’s profile completely because Schmäling’s description of this aircraft on page 108 left certain details about the tail section open to interpretation.

If you look at the wing root area, where the paint should come down from the fuselage side, you will see that it doesn’t match up. This is because this is a skin made for the new model OvStachel made, placed on the old Pfalz model.

When the new model is introduced in the upcoming BHH2 release, this will be corrected. The skin you have in your present version of my Mod is not affected by this warpage.

Leutnant Katzenstein proudly shows us his ‘cat on a stone’ which he says was painted for him by Otto Fuchs, a former member of the Staffel who was transferred to command a newly forming Bavarian Jagestaffel.

He admits that it doesn’t “look much like a cat, more like a fox really, you see, Otto is more of a landscape painter, but I like it very much. I hope the old man does not make me cover it with an orange diamond. I’ll probably have to turn it in for a Pfalz soon anyway.” He shrugged and sighed.

Katzenstein, one of Erbguth’s Kette, is a Jew, from an upper middle class family in Kassel, but seems well accepted by his Staffel-Kameraden.

Erbguth takes me aside and warns me that I should watch him, von der Marwitz and Holthusen as well, as they’re the perpetrators of most of the practical jokes, “but they don’t mean any harm.”

I suppose I must look like I don’t have a sense of humor. Understandable.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

off_Alb_DV_later_Ace_t_Jasta 30 1917_Kurt_Katzenstein – No WOFF skin is provided for Kurt Katzenstein’s “cat on a stone” Albatros, (Yeah, I know, it looks like a fox, but Otto Fuchs who painted it for Katzenstein said it was a cat). So, I converted the wingman skin to conform to color profile 27 by James F. Miller in ROYAL PRUSSIAN JAGDSTAFFEL 30, by Bruno Schmäling and Winfried Bock.

There is no guidance as to whether the cat on the right side of the fuselage was a mirror image of the one on the left or not. I chose to do it this way as this is the way I would have done it if I had painted it on myself.

This skin can be found in User Skins by jerbear Pack 1.

Attached Files 19 DEZ Ji KAUS PFALZ.jpg19 DEZ JL KATZENSTEIN A.jpg19 DEZ JL KATZENSTEIN B CAT DETAIL.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 01/22/24 01:08 PM.
#4641464 - 01/22/24 01:10 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

Next is a nice duck egg blue Albatros, which belongs to Gefr. Funk, a Württemberger. He’s another one who doesn’t have much to say. Perhaps he’s one of those who’s uncomfortable in the company of officers, especially well connected ones like all these ‘vons.’

[Linked Image]

off_Alb_DV_later_Ace_t_Jasta 30 1917_Josef_Funk – There was no DV skin for Funk and I have no information to base a skin on other than the blue Pfalz provided by OBD.

I chose to continue with the blue theme for Funk. Profile 30 by James F. Miller in ROYAL PRUSSIAN JAGDSTAFFEL 30, by Bruno Schmäling and Winfried Bock, has a light blue Albatros DV used by Karl Weltz. Weltz is not used in WOFF, so, I commandeered Weltz’ color scheme for Funk.

Vzfw Oberländer has his Pfalz outside the hangar, going over it with his Schwarzer Mann. He’s embraced the new Staffelkennung in a big way, everything from the motor back is orange and black.

I like him right away. He’s one of those, ‘it’s the Sergeants who run the army, not the snot nosed officers,’ kind of non-com. He’s also a fellow Pfalz-fancier and prefers it to the Albatros. “It’s a tough little beast. You’ve just got to listen to it and it’ll fly itself.”
I quite agree.

Attached Files 19 DEZ JN FUNK.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 01/22/24 01:10 PM.
#4641465 - 01/22/24 01:12 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

[Linked Image]

off_Pfalz_DIIIa_ace_t_Jasta 30 1917_Hans_Oberländer – I have information on Oberländer’s previous Albatri, but nothing on his Pfalz or Fokker DVII. Rather than copy the “O” and chevron device, he used on his Albatros DV, I chose to use a design I was itching to use from page 105 of ROYAL PRUSSIAN JAGDSTAFFEL 30 by Bruno Schmäling and Winfried Bock.

This depicts, what I believe is a Pfalz which is painted orange from the middle of the cockpit to the tail, with a 1917 cross enclosed in the orange diamond Staffel marking. Eric Kaus is sitting on the aircraft, but he has his own yellow and white striped personal marking. While it is possible that this is one of his other machines or he shared this one with someone else, I wanted to use it for Oberländer…so I did.

Both the 1917 and 1918 versions of this Pfalz carry the orange Staffel marking on the upper wing to indicate a Ketteführer.

This skin can be found in User Skins by jerbear Pack 1, or rather it will be when I’m able to release a new version of the MOD. I have to wait until the new BHH2 version comes out because this skin is made on OvStache’s new Pfalz model. All the new Pfalz that are not part of the WOFF SKIN Pack will be placed in Pack 1 from now on.

If you look at the wing root area, where the paint should come down from the fuselage side, you will see that it doesn’t match up. This is because this is a skin made for the new model OvStachel made, placed on the old Pfalz model.

When the new model in introduced in the upcoming BHH2 release, this will be corrected. The skin you have in your present version of my Mod is not affected by this warpage.

Attached Files 19 DEZ JO OBERLANDER.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 01/22/24 01:13 PM.
#4641466 - 01/22/24 01:14 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

The last Jagdgflugzeug (hunting aircraft) we look at is that of a newly joined pilot, Leutnant Hans Seewald. He has the orange Staffelkennung on the side and tail section, with black stripes around the fuselage from the cockpit aft. Very striking.

[Linked Image]

off_Pfalz_DIIIa_ace_t_Jasta 30 1917_Hans_Seewald – This pilot only flies with the Staffel for two weeks before transferring to Jasta 54s with Paul Erbguth. The skin is based on profile #46 in ROYAL PRUSSIAN JAGDSTAFFEL 30 by Bruno Schmäling and Winfried Bock. This was a Pfalz with 1918 national insignia for which the pilot is unknown.

This is an earlier, 1917 version of this paint job. Something for Seewald to leave behind as a hand-me-down to a new pilot.

This skin can be found in User Skins by jerbear Pack 1, or rather it will be when I’m able to release a new version of the MOD. I have to wait until the new BHH2 version comes out because this skin is made on oVStache’s new Phalz model. All the new Pfalz that are not part of the WOFF SKIN Pack will be placed in Pack 1 from now on.

Attached Files 19 DEZ JS SEEWALD PFALZ.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 01/22/24 01:16 PM.
#4641467 - 01/22/24 01:24 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

At the far end of the line of tent hangars is the Staffel Hack, an old blue-green DFW. The Schwarzer Mann are working on it and fueling it up. It will be used today to give rides to the nurses who will be visiting.

[Linked Image]

off_DFW_CV_ace_t_FA 0 1917_Jasta 30_Hack – this skin has a combination of 1916 and 1917 markings. It was made as a representation of the Jasta 30 Staffel Hack, which can be found in several photographs in Bruno Schmäling and Winfried Bock’s, “Royal Prussian Jagdstaffel 30, with illustrations by J.F. Miller, Aeronaut books 2014. Most notably on page 104.

It can be found in the Two Seater Skins by jerbear Mod when the next version is released, hopefully soon.

A bell rings to let us know that Mittageßen (lunch) is ready.

The Schwestern have arrived from Lille. Frl. Ilse von der Marwitz, a volunteer and Hans-Georg’s sister, has brought three of her colleagues.

One is Frl. von Arnim, another volunteer Schwester, a bit older than the rest, Frau Kuhlenkamp, and her daughter Frl. Kuhlenkamp who are Krankenschwestern by profession.”

A number of the pilots and other officers have come in their best uniforms. The reason is Frl. Kuhlenkamp. Evidently, about half of the officers are infatuated with her.

She’s a short, dark haired young woman, with rather striking blue eyes, very sweet, but with a mischievous light in those eyes. A type that makes men feel big and strong. She very much enjoys the attention. She looks from one to the other of her admirers, dividing her attention evenly among them. Not being particularly attentive to any one individual.

*Krankenschwester - The word for nurse in German, literally, sister of the sick. Often shortened to Schwester , sister. This can confuse them with nuns, which they sometimes are.

[Linked Image]

CAPTION: Ilse von der Marwitz is on the left, Frl Kuhlenkamp is on the right.

After the meal, ersatz coffee and cakes, and Paul Erbguth switches on his gramophone, which plays ‘Die Liebe vom Zigeuner Stammt’ (The Love Comes from the Gipsy) from the opera Carmen.*

We meet Oberleutnant Preißler, who is second in command and acts as Staffelführer in Bethge’s absence. He is also the Offizier zbV. He knows of me and we speak about certain hard to obtain items that I may be able to help with, real coffee for one.

Paul goes off to join the circle hanging around Frl. Kuhlenkamp.

I wonder how Ilse feels about all the attention her colleague draws, while she talks to her brother and Bethge.

We leave in the mid-afternoon, I need to get back to talk to Malmann, we have some possible business to conduct.

As we leave, the Schwestern are getting ready to take rides in the Hack around the field and area, all except Ilse. She’s climbing into the cockpit with her brother to sight see in his wine-red Albatros.

When we arrive back at Avelin, Paul is called to Vater’s office. He has been offered command of one of the forty newly forming Amerika Programme Jagdstaffeln, number 57.

It’s a Prussian Staffel, which is surprising, Paul being a Württemberger.

He’s quite excited about having his own command and is making plans to visit Rittmeister Grieffenhagen at Jastaschule I to try to obtain pilots.

I’m sorry he’s leaving us, but pleased for him. He was unhappy under der Eiserne and doesn’t feel Vater is competent to command in the air.

Seppl likes Vater but he too, questions his abilities. He corresponds with Berthold regularly and I’m sure he outlines all Vater’s failings to him. Though he’s one of the best natured fellows I’ve met in my long life, he’s above all, Berthold’s man. One must be careful what one says in his presence.

Paul is immanently qualified for Staffel command. He’s an Aktiver Leutnant, has been a pilot since June, 1916 and has been a Jagdflieger with this Staffel since September of 1916. He’s been a Kettenführer for most of that time and led the Staffel in the air for the first month after Berthold was put out of action.

When not leading the formation, Paul always flies in the ‘Guardian Angel’ position, above and behind us all. He always has an eye for the situation of his Staffel-Kameraden and never hesitates to rush to their aid.

He it was that came looking for me when Beomia and I crashed between the lines. Swooping down on the British Infantry who had me pinned down in a muddy shell hole.

He has seven confirmed Luftsiege, and was awarded der Hohenzollern this August.

He tells me that he has already decided on the Staffelkennung for his aircraft. All the fuselages will be painted sky blue as means of camouflage against the sky and also against ground haze. But each pilot will have colored noses extending to the front of the cockpit like those of this Staffel, each in his own chosen color. Paul will have red.

He says, “The different nose colors will allow me to tell at a glance just who is where.”

*This is Paul Erbguth’s favorite song and to play it whenever this gramophone was used was obligatory.

[Linked Image]

CAPTION: Strähl's Albatros DIII OAW for Jasta 57

ENDE

Attached Files 19 DEZ JV SQUADRON HACK.jpg19 DEZ HB ILSE and Frl Kuhlenkamp.jpg19 DEZ Z Strahl J57.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 01/22/24 01:25 PM.
#4641493 - 01/22/24 09:24 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Jerbear, cudos on all the skin work you have done!! You have provided so many more choices to the skin collection. I like the way you are seeking historical accuracy and I know there is much research you have logged in providing us with these choices!

Many thanks!!

kneeldown

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Page 39 of 41 1 2 37 38 39 40 41

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Incredible historical ironies