Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 29 of 41 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 40 41
#4635578 - 09/16/23 07:48 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

[Linked Image]

I take us down to the level of the Ballongondel* and we wave to the observers, then take a tour along the front.

The British Artillerievögel** are very active this evening. The evening is the best time for them because the sun is at their back.

They fly up and down, just over into Ententland, at a thousand to fifteen hundred meters, ‘sighting in’ their batteries using wireless telegraphy.

*Balloon gondola, the wicker basket for balloon observers

**Artillery birds.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 8 NOV BALLOON GERMAN CLOSE A (2).jpg8 NOV RE8 ARTILLERY MACHING.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 09/16/23 07:48 PM.
#4635579 - 09/16/23 07:51 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

As soon as they see a German flying towards them, they dive down to just a few hundred meters to keep us from getting underneath them and expose us to ground fire if we attack.

This puts us in a dangerous position, engaging the enemy at low altitude over his own territory where the slightest damage to the motor may make a return to Germany impossible.

[Linked Image]

I think I’ll take my Hasen on an Artillerievögel hunt after the next balloon protection patrol. I’d like to do it this evening but I want them to know what we’re about, and discuss it with them first.

I talk to Vater and request 1700 as the balloon patrol time for my Kette, when practicable.

ENDE

Attached Files 8 NOV RE8 DIVING.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 09/16/23 07:52 PM.
#4635610 - 09/17/23 09:23 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

SORRY BECKER01

Somehow I didn't see your reply from 11 SEP.

I appreciate the feedback.

You must be in MY head, because this is what's playing there all the time too.

Jerry charge

[Linked Image]

Oh yeah...Carl says "Salve."

Attached Files EBERHEAD JPG.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 09/17/23 09:30 PM.
#4635659 - 09/18/23 06:18 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

Frietag, 9 November 1917

Seien sie wachsam und halten sie stets Ausschau nach dem freund.*

The first Patrouillenflüg lifts wheels at 0935. There are layers of stratus from 500 meters, all the way up to 4,000. Strong north-west wind.

Vater Turck leads the upper patrol, a mixed formation of Albatros with some Pfalz. Paul, Rahn, Jan Klein, Dingel, Viebig and Richard Runge.

*from the WOFF Campaign mission start screen. ‘Be vigilant and always watch out for your friends.’

[Linked Image]

My Kette and I follow Seppl in the lower patrol.

With the intervening layers of clouds, the two formations have little chance of supporting each other as they only occasionally catch a glimpse of one another.

Our Halberstaffel completely loses contact with the upper patrol as Vater, embarrassingly, takes them too far southwards, not allowing for the strong north-west wind. He got verfranzt and had to go looking for the lines.

Seppl led us over the Passchendaele area. We found little enemy activity and a little Flak.

After a few circuits back and forth between Zonnebeke and Passchendaele, we land.

The second patrol, at 1405 is much the same. Nothing of particular interest.

My Kette’s Balloon Protection patrol is again, as I requested, at 1700.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 9 NOV MIXED FORMATION.jpg9 NOV BALLON GERMAN B.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 09/18/23 06:19 PM.
#4635661 - 09/18/23 06:24 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

After the scheduled end of our duties over the Himmelwurst, I take Deberitz and Schafer in the general direction of the two Artilleriehasen I have been watching during the patrol. We still have plenty of fuel to harass the Englishmen and still get home. We can always refuel somewhere along the way as well, if needs be.

We fly past them at about 2,000 meters so my two Hasen can get a good look at them, then turn east, as if we are going home. They’re difficult to see with the sun in our eyes. I’m hoping that this will help them to develop their Jägerblick.

[Linked Image]

Once we’re out of sight I bring us about and we climb to 2,500 meters, approaching Ententeland again, somewhat south of where the enemy artillery machines are working. We fly about two miles behind the lines to get the sun at our backs.

If we’re not given away by the Flak, I’ll dive down out of the sun or clouds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

CAPTION – The skin is for RFC-6, the sky is from BuckeyeBob’s cloud Mod; Panama Red’s PR Partial Overcast

Attached Files 9 NOV SUN BEHIND US.jpg9 NOV RE B.jpg9 NOV KETTE OVER RE.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 09/18/23 06:25 PM.
#4635662 - 09/18/23 06:27 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

We see an RE, concentrating on his job. My Jungvögel stay above as I dive below the two-seater’s tail to get off a few shots and then dive away towards Germany.

[Linked Image]

The REs inherent instability and the strong wind requires the full attention of the pilot. The backseat man is fully occupied with his task.

But as soon as they hear the rattle of my machine guns and see the gray threads of my incendiary ammunition, the pilot puts his tail up and dives down to just a few hundred meters to keep me from getting underneath them again, unless I expose myself to ground fire.

[Linked Image]

The reward of the game is not necessarily to destroy the Artillery machine, but to disrupt his mission and perhaps send him home.

Even if we did manage to shoot one of these down, any confirmation of the Luftsieg is unlikely because the ground observers can’t see what happens to the aircraft that goes down. A balloon observer might be able to confirm but they’re usually busy with more important things.

Now the flak barks at us in rage. But their efforts are in vain. Behind us there’s a long stretch of dissolving white clouds.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 9 NOV EBER ATTACKING RE.jpg9 NOV RE DIVING.jpg9 NOV FLAK.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 09/18/23 06:30 PM.
#4635663 - 09/18/23 06:32 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

After we reform, we fly back toward Germany.

We repeat our performance twice more, first going north so Schafer can take a shot at one of the two seaters. Then we go south again for Deberitz’s performance as the first RE has returned to his business after my attack.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 9 NOV SCHAFER ATTACKS RE A.jpg9 NOV SCHAFER ATTACKS RE B.jpg9 NOV SCHAFER ATTACKS RE.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 09/18/23 06:35 PM.
#4635665 - 09/18/23 06:38 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

Deberitz’s Pfalz stalls out when he noses-up and goes into a spin. One of the hazards of these, otherwise excellent, but underpowered birds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

No enemy is shot down, but they both go home and that’s good enough. It gives the Feldgrau a little evening respite.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ENDE

Attached Files 9 NOV DEBERITZ ATTACKING RE.jpg9 NOV DEBERITZ STALLS.jpg9 NOV DEBERITZ RECOVERING.jpg9 NOV RE GOING HOME.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 09/18/23 06:40 PM.
#4635818 - 09/20/23 07:10 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

[Linked Image]

Montag, 11 November 1917

Yesterday and this morning there are immense mountains of stratocumulus and rain.

The weather clears about 1300 and Vater takes out a patrol but has to turn back because the rain has returned
It finally clears to a partly cloudy sky by about 1600. So Vater tries again, with more success this time, but no enemy aircraft are seen.

[Linked Image]

My Kette has its usual 1700 white mice patrol and we repeat our harassment of the Artillery machines. The easterly wind is not helpful to our cause so we only feint at them rather than trying to actually attack, just to disrupt their work.

Besides, a flight of 5 Bristols shows up and now keeps watch. So, we turn our backs to Ententeand and go home as the clouds begin to reform.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 11 NOV airfield r rain xd.jpg11 NOV airfield taking off ue.jpg11 NOV BRISTOLS 20 SQU B.jpg11 nov EBER KETTE FORMING UP B.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 09/20/23 07:12 PM.
#4635819 - 09/20/23 07:18 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

Dienstag, 12 November 1917

Paul is ill and so he doesn’t fly with us on the one patrol we’re able to make before rain sets in again.

There’s a heavy ground fog well past 1000. We patrol from Menen to Houthulstwald, back down to Poellkappelle and Warneton before turning for home. The Flak is very heavy. The only enemy air activity we see is an RE, very low down, going home and very near his lines.

[Linked Image]

Over Iseghem a formation of five SEs and two SPADS shadow us from above but we can’t entice them to come down and attack.

Everyone is putting in to take leave and fly to Brussels, in turns. I’m due, especially after my wound, and things seem to be winding down in Flanders for a while so I put my name forward.

[Linked Image]

ENDE

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 12 NOV RE8 RFC18 A.jpg12 NOV se5a 60 squ c.jpgZ BLOWNUP GERMAN INF A.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 09/20/23 07:21 PM.
#4635977 - 09/22/23 02:52 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

Frietag, 15 November 1917

We have our first serious scrap with the Lords in two weeks. Paul is not among us as he is still ill.

We’re attacked by a flight of SEs over Staden-Langemarck, who are joined then by a group of perhaps six or seven pushy brown fellows (Camels).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

CAPTION – These Se5s were from 65 Squadron. 65 Squadron is not featured in the WOFF lineup. This is the SE5a default ski
n.

Attached Files 15 NOV SE 65 SQU A.jpg15 NOV SE 65 SQU B.jpg15 NOV CAMELS 45 SQU A.jpg15 NOV DOGFIGHT A.jpg15 NOV DOGFIGHT B.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 09/22/23 02:55 PM.
#4635978 - 09/22/23 02:57 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

Seppl sends one of the SEs down in flames.*

*An SE5 from 65 Squadron, according to “Jasta Pilots.” This is Veltjens 9th Luftsieg.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 15 NOV VELTJENS VS SE.jpg15 NOV VELTJENS FLAMES SE .jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 09/22/23 02:58 PM.
#4635979 - 09/22/23 03:03 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

At almost exactly the same instant, Runge’s Albatros bursts into flames and breaks apart as it falls.*

*Osprey “Jasta 18; the Red Noses,” Greg VanWyngarden, “While other accounts state that Runge’s DVa number 5253/17 was brought down by flak, it is almost certain that he fell to the guns of No. 45 Squadron’s Cpt K B Montgomery, flying Camel B3929” at 1035 over Langemarck, his 10th claim.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Caption – Runge was killed by, then Lieutenant, Kenneth Barbour Montgomery of 45 Squadron, his 10th aerial victory. This is the WOFF Camel skin for Montgomery.
Runge was flying an Albatros DV or DVa when he was shot down. I have him flying a DIII OAW because the stock WOFF skin for him is the one he flew prior to Berthold taking command of Jasta 18 and instituting his red and blue color scheme.
I was too lazy to make a DV for Runge in the Berthold livery so I just used his DIII OAW. Deal with it.(Imogi)

Attached Files 15 nov runge.jpg15 NOV MONTGOMERY VS RUNGE A.jpg15 NOV MONTGOMERY VS RUNGE B.jpg15 NOV MONTGOMERY FLAMING RUNGE A.jpg15 NOV MONTGOMERY FLAMING RUNGE.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 09/22/23 03:04 PM.
#4635981 - 09/22/23 03:08 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

I immediately attack the Camel that shot down Runge, intent on revenge. But I couldn’t stay with him for all the other aircraft dodging about and soon lost him. The Camel was brown, with a large L in white painted on wings and fuselage, and like all the 45 Squadron Camels it carried a dumbbell symbol behind the cockade.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 15 NOV EBER VS MONTGOMERY.jpg15 NOV MONTGOMERY .jpg15 NOV DOGFIGHT C.jpg15 NOV DOGFIGHT D.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 09/22/23 03:09 PM.
#4635982 - 09/22/23 03:12 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have no time to contemplate Richard’s flaming death until the fight breaks up and we fly to Harlebeke.

Remembering his comments to Paul at Otto Schober’s funeral, I say to Antiope; “Well, he got what he asked for. One must be careful; the Parcae may be listening.”*

Unbidden, words form in my head in Latin. Not the Latin taught in schools in this time. The Latin of the Caesars. “A man is allowed to fly only for a certain length of time in the sun and light, and the fall to his death is short.”**

“Ave Richard. I hope you were dead before you started burning.”

*The Fates -the three Roman goddesses who represented the fates were Nona, the Spinner, Decuma, the Alloter and Morta, the cutter of the thread.

** Adapted from a new translation of Rudolf Stark’s Memoir “the Jagdstaffel – Our Homeland, in “Memoirs of German Pilots in the First World War, Vol.3” from Aeronaut Books. Edited and translated by Jason Crouthamel.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ENDE

Attached Files 15 NOV DOGFIGHT E.jpg15 NOV DOGFIGHT F.jpg15 NOV the Fates.jpg15 NOV RUNGE PHOTO.jpg15 nov Runge DIIIOAW.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 09/22/23 03:15 PM.
#4636128 - 09/25/23 02:48 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

16-20 November, 1917; Leave in Brussels

On Saturday I stow a small suitcase in my Antiope. Her wheels roll and rise off the ground, and I turn her nose to the northeast, away from Ententeland.

Harlebeke and Kortrijk disappear behind me, and large forests appear as dark patches on the countryside. Settlements become more and more dense, village follows village, mountains of coal rise up like pyramids, and large, red industrial towns stretch many fingers of chimneys up to the sky.

The flight takes about 65 minutes. I feel sleepy flying over the peaceful landscape, so I lean out, away from the windshield and the cold air revives me.

[Linked Image]

In the distance, a large mass of haze appears. In front of it is a broad forest belt, shining castles, and a golden dome shining out of the haze. Brussels.

Antiope lands on a nice airfield at Eve’re, and pulls up to the large airship hangar, looking like a mosquito. Paul told me that he helped build these back in 1914. I leave her there in good hands and tread on pavement and well-maintained paths. A tram takes me to the center of the city.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

CAPTION – This is the WOFF Zeppelin hangar at Wilhelmshaven.

Attached Files 16 NOV FLYING TO BRUSSELS.jpg16 nov A EVERE AERODROM MAP.jpg16 NOV B EVERE AERODROM HANGAR.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 09/25/23 02:49 PM.
#4636129 - 09/25/23 02:53 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

[Linked Image]

CAPTION – Occupation of Brussels.

The first objective is to go to the hotel. It’s the Palace Hotel at the train station. It’s very difficult to get a room here. They’re all reserved and only for the higher ups, Major and above, at least. But one can get connections with the porter. He’s receptive to a good tip and not particularly impressed by the higher ranks.
Pecunia non olet.*

A room with a bath. If you’ve been up front for a while, even in the easier conditions we pilots enjoy, a hot bath in a nice tub is a most beautiful experience.

*Money does not stink, Latin phrase.

[Linked Image]

Caption - The Palace Hotel is on the right, the one that has PALACE in big letters over it. salute

Attached Files 16 NOV C BRUSSELS OCCUATION.jpg16 nov D PALACE HOTEL.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 09/25/23 02:56 PM.
#4636132 - 09/25/23 03:00 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

[Linked Image]

I sit in the bath for over two hours until the growling in my stomach reminds me of other needs and pleasures.

Fresh laundry and pants, patent-leather boots, all very regulation. I don’t make the mistake many flyers make when on leave of wearing a soft collar as I might at the front. This draws the attention of every high ranking Etappenschwein in the Schweinegehege.* I don’t want confrontation with such people. I just want a peaceful few days off. I also have some back stairs business to transact and a visit to a bank which requires a low profile.

*Every rear area swine in the hog pen.

[Linked Image]

Reborn, I go down the stairs to the dining room.

I sink into the soft armchair, while a white tablecloth, reflecting porcelain, and silver cutlery smile up at me, all very elegant. The waiter brings me something to drink and eat. I slurp down oysters, drink good wine and close my eyes, feeling euphoric.

I leave the hotel full and happy. The evening comes and wraps the city in a delicate blue veil. Lamps flash and shop windows are illuminated. It’s like a magic land.

I meet up with one of the old business acquaintances I have come to see and stroll through the streets with him, through this glowing unreality.

So much is going on! In the stores you’ll find meat, sausages, white bread and cakes, even flowers. We’ve heard a lot about shortages in Belgium, but there don’t seem to be many shortages here in Brussels.

So much is going on here! Girls laugh with us. You talk with them. Some of their countrymen might condemn them and treat them with derision, but they make us happy. They’re neatly dressed and a nice distraction from all the eternal field-gray.

You Flemish girls, I thank you for many a happy hour and the memory of our time together is more valuable than any self-righteous sermon of making the world a better place, which is just empty noise.

Life smiles at us from a thousand eyes. We move from one place to another. Music floats towards us. Sometimes it’s a good violin concert, sometimes it’s the squeaky pipes of an orchestrion.* Everything is singing to us about life Wine bubbles in glasses, girls dance, music, light…life.**

A little bit of shopping the next morning, then the rest of the afternoon is business.

*A machine designed to sound like an orchestra or band, usually a box with pipes, strings and sometimes percussion instruments.

** Adapted from a new translation of Rudolf Stark’s Memoir “the Jagdstaffel – Our Homeland, in “Memoirs of German Pilots in the First World War, Vol.3” from Aeronaut Books. Edited and translated by Jason Crouthamel.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ENDE

Attached Files 16 nov E palace bath.jpg16 nov F Palace dining room.jpg16 nov G orchestrion.jpg16 NOV H BRUSSELS PISS.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 09/25/23 03:02 PM.
#4636200 - 09/26/23 05:44 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

19 November 1917

On Monday, before I go back to the front, I have one last visit to make.

Less than 30 kilometers south of Brussels is the field of Mont St-Jean, which the British chose to call Waterloo and the Germans call La Belle Alliance.

I hire a car to drive me to the old Battlefield, much of which has not changed a great deal since 1815.

The field of battle is marred of course, by the huge mound of Lion Hill, which the King of Netherlands had built to commemorate the battle and the place where his eldest son, the Prince of Orange, was wounded, as well as the other battle, fought two days before, Quatre Bras.

[Linked Image]

A cyclorama has been built beside the great mound. It is here that I go first.

Inside is a huge painting of the battle. Mostly the cyclorama depicts Ney’s great blundering cavalry charge against the British squares, which I did not see. But the infantry columns are as I remember them.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 16 NOV WATERLOO A CYCLOROMA.jpg16 NOV WATERLOO B CYCLOROMA  NEY.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 09/26/23 05:47 PM.
#4636201 - 09/26/23 05:50 PM Re: DEAD IS NOT DEAD [Re: jerbear]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

When I come back out, I climb Lion Hill.

[Linked Image]

From the top of the hill, I look toward the ridge where the Grand Battery stood.

Near the mound, on which I stand, they altered the field to bring the soil needed for the 43 meter tall mound but the ridge and La Haye Sainte are still there, looking much the same and La Belle Alliance too. The ruins of Hougoumont can be seen in the distance.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 16 NOV WATERLOO C LION HILL.jpg16 NOV WATERLOO D LA BELLE ALLIANCE.jpg16 NOV WATERLOO E  HOUGOUMONT THE WELLS.jpg
Last edited by jerbear; 09/26/23 05:51 PM.
Page 29 of 41 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 40 41

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Fighter ace causes of death
by PanzerMeyer. 02/27/24 06:46 PM
HMS Northumberland
by RedOneAlpha. 02/26/24 09:01 AM