Hop To
#4615112 - 11/29/22 11:41 AM Wagyu beef  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Has anyone here ever tried it? I recently went to an upscale restaurant for a special occasion and I noticed that Wagyu beef was on the menu. It was sold by the ounce and it was $40 USD per ounce. That means if you want to order a 4 ounce steak it would cost you $160! Needless to say I passed on that but for those here who have tried Wagyu beef, did you think it was worth the price?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4615127 - 11/29/22 01:56 PM Re: Wagyu beef [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
It's supposed to be as close as you can get to Kobe, I worked at a place that had Waygu Burgers and I got to try some. It was rather disappointing, it was "extra lean" (dry) and I told the Chef I found it a waste of money and could get a better burger from Five Guys. He was pretty miffed. You should never get one cooked more than medium.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)
#4615130 - 11/29/22 02:12 PM Re: Wagyu beef [Re: KRT_Bong]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by KRT_Bong
It's supposed to be as close as you can get to Kobe, I worked at a place that had Waygu Burgers and I got to try some. It was rather disappointing, it was "extra lean" (dry) and I told the Chef I found it a waste of money and could get a better burger from Five Guys. He was pretty miffed. You should never get one cooked more than medium.

Thanks for that info KRT_Bong. I'll just stick with my tried and true Ribeye. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4615131 - 11/29/22 02:12 PM Re: Wagyu beef [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
No, too expensive. Plus, I've had Kobe once in Japan and found it not worth the extra cost.

#4615135 - 11/29/22 02:35 PM Re: Wagyu beef [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Most Wagyu and Kobe sold in the USA is fake. If they are sold as burger, they are definitely fake. Only 2 dozen restaurants in USA sell real Wagyu and Kobe.

#4615136 - 11/29/22 02:41 PM Re: Wagyu beef [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
Most Wagyu and Kobe sold in the USA is fake. If they are sold as burger, they are definitely fake. Only 2 dozen restaurants in USA sell real Wagyu and Kobe.

The restaurant I went to was super expensive so I'd be surprised if that Wagyu beef they carried was not authentic. They also didn't sell it as burgers but sold it only by the ounce.

#4615462 - 12/02/22 02:11 PM Re: Wagyu beef [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida

I don't know how you came up with that, you cannot call something Waygu unless it is actually. We had Waygu from Australia and the boxes were marked and stamped with all proper information and had security tape on them from the manufacturer. Arby's even sells one although the cooking method is actually Sous Vide not grilled. it is the breed of cattle and how they are raised. If it was "fake" then that would be fraud and whoever was selling it would be in a lot of trouble, like selling punched out Skate as Scallops or Suremi as Crab which on the menu would be identified as "Krab". Easy enough to ask any local establishment to show you the certifications. You can't sell fish and call it Grouper unless it is actually Grouper, it could be Vietnamese but it has to be actually Grouper. Likewise with any Beef, If you're calling it Angus it had better be Angus.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
#4615465 - 12/02/22 02:17 PM Re: Wagyu beef [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida

I don't know how you came up with that, you cannot call something Waygu unless it is actually. We had Waygu from Australia and the boxes were marked and stamped with all proper information and had security tape on them from the manufacturer. Arby's even sells one although the cooking method is actually Sous Vide not grilled. it is the breed of cattle and how they are raised. If it was "fake" then that would be fraud and whoever was selling it would be in a lot of trouble, like selling punched out Skate as Scallops or Suremi as Crab which on the menu would be identified as "Krab". Easy enough to ask any local establishment to show you the certifications. You can't sell fish and call it Grouper unless it is actually Grouper, it could be Vietnamese but it has to be actually Grouper. Likewise with any Beef, If you're calling it Angus it had better be Angus.
https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-wagyu-beef.html
There is at least 10 restaurants in Sarasota that sell it so I guess you are mistaken about numbers.

Last edited by KRT_Bong; 12/02/22 02:24 PM.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
#4615466 - 12/02/22 02:19 PM Re: Wagyu beef [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Thanks for that info KRT_Bong.

You learn something new on SimHQ every day. smile

#4615470 - 12/02/22 02:27 PM Re: Wagyu beef [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

A lot of restaurant and grocers will label something when it's not so they can make money. It's called Fraud. Google Wagyu and Kobe beef in USA not real and you will find many stories about it. A lot of Angus sold at U.S. supermarket like Vons and Kroger are not real Angus. Just like the free range grass fed beef that cost double regular beef. How do you know it's free range grass fed. Just because a little label says so? Or all those organic products, cause a label reads organic? Also For example many scallop sold in restaurants contain no scallop. Restaurants and grocers don't care, they want to take you money and millions of people will give it without asking for any evidence they are paying for the real thing.

#4615478 - 12/02/22 03:15 PM Re: Wagyu beef [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
And it was in New York.. go figure knock off city. Yes, there are lots of fakes out there so you are only half right. I've worked in Food Service and I can identify real scallops in the raw and I can tell you I've never worked at a legit Seafood Restaurant that served imitation. Here in Florida LOL it ain't happening in any Mainstream eatery. As far as Waygu, I can give you the addresses of 10 upscale eateries that serve it when available and it's legit. I have over 40 years of experience, you?

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
#4615486 - 12/02/22 04:00 PM Re: Wagyu beef [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Snow46 Offline
Veteran
Snow46  Offline
Veteran

Idaho, USA
While on a business trip to Japan, we were taken out to a “special” restaurant and served what we were told was Kobe beef. It was tasty but I didn’t think there was such a huge difference in taste or texture to warrant spending that much money on back in the States. I lived in the Florida Panhandle for a few years and had the opportunity to actually dive for scallops and quickly learned that they have a unique aroma and don’t have that “hockey puck” uniformity. As for grass fed beef, I now am a resident of a valley in Idaho where there are thousands of acres of grasslands where thousands of cattle (mostly Angus) live off the grass from May to September when most of them are then transported to feed lots to be fattened prior to slaughter. They may be grass fed but they are finished with corn. Not sure the beef tastes any different.
While I will choose Prime over Choice in the local meat market, I have to admit I would rather grill fresh Tuna.

Desktop Intel i9 3.7GHz, 32GB RAM,
3 TB SSD, NVIDIA 3080
#4615496 - 12/02/22 05:35 PM Re: Wagyu beef [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
A lot of restaurant and grocers will label something when it's not so they can make money. It's called Fraud. Google Wagyu and Kobe beef in USA not real and you will find many stories about it. A lot of Angus sold at U.S. supermarket like Vons and Kroger are not real Angus. Just like the free range grass fed beef that cost double regular beef. How do you know it's free range grass fed. Just because a little label says so? Or all those organic products, cause a label reads organic? Also For example many scallop sold in restaurants contain no scallop. Restaurants and grocers don't care, they want to take you money and millions of people will give it without asking for any evidence they are paying for the real thing.

Free range, grass fed beef actually does taste different and is somewhat noticeable. It goes beyond taste to actual texture--to a smaller degree. My in-laws live on the high planes in Arizona and are surrounded by ranchers who produce only grass fed beef and bought an entire cow. I had some this summer and it matched the grass fed beef I eat normally that I source either locally in Georgia or buy at a store. The trick is looking for a few things:

a) 100% grass fed on the label. Simply "grass fed" means they could feed them grass their last month.

b) "USDA Organic" which is an actual certification that they must pay for and costs quite a bit.

We had to switch over to eating this way about eight years ago right before my wife got sick. Almost everything is organic, even the milk--which really does have a distinct tinge to the flavor. The one item I try not to compromise on is anything wheat, for farmers often use round-up to ripen the wheat, as it is much quicker this way. Who wants to eat that stuff?

I, like you, thought it was all b.s. too, before we had to make this swap for my wife's health.

I would not bother with Kobe or Waygu, way too expensive and beyond reasonable.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 12/02/22 05:45 PM.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.