Hotshot

Chicagoland
Vid poster is going up against 6 AI opponents in the game Diplomacy

tanksalot
duel
cheers
ahoy
ar15

I simply love playing Diplomacy! I played online a few times, but soon stopped since I realized my enjoyment comes with being in the same location with the other players. In my Diplomacy game experiences I have never seen any friendships end and only one occasion where a player become angry and abusive due to the gameplay of us opponents...I guess it is because we always emphasis the knowledge that any player can be backstabbed by who they thought was a "neutral" or "allied" power.

https://arstechnica.com/information...asters-diplomacy-tricking-human-players/

Expert Diplomacy Player vs CICERO AI

CaptainMeme takes on Meta's new Diplomacy AI, CICERO! This video shows the entire game in real time, including all Press - yes, this AI negotiates!

There's a commentary track with me giving my thoughts on the game, but feel free to mute if you just want to watch the messaging.

Diplomacy is a negotiation-based board game set during World War One. 7 players each control one great power (England, France, Germany, Austria, Italy, Russia, and Turkey) and fight for control of Europe, using their diplomatic skill to make covert deals with one another and to backstab their friends.

Animal Mother > Rambo+ChuckNorris
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4614843 - 11/25/22 06:02 PM Re: Expert Diplomacy Player vs CICERO AI [Re: Patrocles]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
So it's like a Total War game but without the war part being modelled. I'll pass biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4614844 - 11/25/22 06:09 PM Re: Expert Diplomacy Player vs CICERO AI [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
So it's like a Total War game but without the war part being modelled. I'll pass biggrin

Total War is for babes! neaner

you are missing out on one greatest games of all time.
War, Diplomacy, Backstabbing, Sowing Paranoia, Alliances, DMZs, Negotiations, Public Denounciations (when we play with a "media phase"), Sabotage, etc etc etc So much crazy stuff happens in Diplomacy.

#4614846 - 11/25/22 06:14 PM Re: Expert Diplomacy Player vs CICERO AI [Re: Patrocles]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Patrocles

War, Diplomacy, Backstabbing, Sowing Paranoia, Alliances, DMZs, Negotiations, Public Denounciations (when we play with a "media phase"), Sabotage, etc etc etc So much crazy stuff happens in Diplomacy.

I think the Paradox games have achieved the perfect formula. They are very deep strategy games but also include a warfare/combat aspect. "Imperator Rome" is the last Paradox title I played and while it had some flaws it was an overall positive experience.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4614847 - 11/25/22 06:21 PM Re: Expert Diplomacy Player vs CICERO AI [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Patrocles

I think the Paradox games have achieved the perfect formula. They are very deep strategy games but also include a warfare/combat aspect. "Imperator Rome" is the last Paradox title I played and while it had some flaws it was an overall positive experience.

Nice! Glad you enjoy them. yep

back on topic. The ars technica article is fascinating! I need to watch the vid and see if the AI is anything closr to what they say in playing Diplomacy. I am skeptical at this early point.

#4616318 - 12/10/22 11:54 PM Re: Expert Diplomacy Player vs CICERO AI [Re: Patrocles]  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
Lex Fridman podcast has an interview with one of the creators of the AI vs Humans in Poker card game and Diplomacy boardgame.

The Diplomacy boardgame discussion starts at about the 1 hour 17 minute mark.

https://lexfridman.com/noam-brown/
Noam Brown is a research scientist at FAIR, Meta AI, co-creator of AI that achieved superhuman level performance in games of No-Limit Texas Hold’em and Diplomacy.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Cindy Williams was 75
by F4UDash4. 01/31/23 02:28 AM
Why is so many famous folks dying?
by NoFlyBoy. 01/30/23 05:08 PM
Bobby Hull, RIP
by WangoTango. 01/30/23 04:12 PM
Annie Wersching passes from cancer at 45
by NoFlyBoy. 01/30/23 01:44 AM
You're going to be served
by KRT_Bong. 01/28/23 01:24 PM
Stealth modelling
by bolox. 01/27/23 05:14 PM
Living One Hundred Years....
by F4UDash4. 01/26/23 10:50 AM
How British are you.
by NoFlyBoy. 01/25/23 12:48 AM
Flight Stick/HOTAS Suggestions?
by Snow46. 01/21/23 11:35 PM
1958 guide to finding husband
by NoFlyBoy. 01/21/23 03:55 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.