Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4611497 - 10/19/22 10:04 AM Can't fix busted WMP _ preventing me installing WOFF  
Bigfish Offline
Bigfish  Offline

Nottingham, England
Greetings all from a returning WOFF flyer now (nearly) upgraded to WOFF II.

I can't get WOFF II installed because I get the message 'Component 'wmp.dll' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid'.

I never use Windows Media Player so when I tried to fire it up it wouldn't run and gave me a similar message.

OK so I'll just reinstall it I thought. Made no difference, same error. Uninstalled it and downloaded a fresh copy from MS, no difference. Ran SFC scannow from the command prompt, didn't repair it.

So I'm stuck!

I appreciate this isn't an OBD issue, but would some kindly WOFF flyer be able to point me to another solution to my busted WMP problem so I can complete the install?

For example, do I have to go and find my copy of wmp.dll and replace it with a new one, and since this might be reaching the limits of my technical competence, is there someone/somewhere will tell me how, exactly?

Thanks for reading this, many thanks if you know how to fix it, and I'm eagerly looking to rejoin my squadron!

Best wishes from Nottingham, England

Alan

PS My apologies if I should have posted this in 'Technical' issues - I'll get the hang of it eventually!

Last edited by Bigfish; 10/19/22 11:08 AM.

Intel i9-10900k @ 5.2GHz, ROG Maximus XII Hero, 32Gb DDR4, RTX 2060, 4 SSDs + HDD, Acer Predator 34", TM Cougar stick, TM Warthog throttle, Saitek pedals, TIR v5.4.2, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, ESET NOD 32 AV, WOFF II BH&H v 1.35
#4611515 - 10/19/22 12:40 PM Re: Can't fix busted WMP _ preventing me installing WOFF [Re: Bigfish]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Welcome Alan, what antivirus software are you using pal? It could be that it’s interfering with the install..also have you downloaded the correct WMP.dll file for your OS? I believe there’s a 32 and 64 bit version, I’ve found this that I’ll copy and paste.Also not sure if Direct x makes a difference but have you installed the direct x files 1st has directed in the FAQ mate The FAQ can be found and downloaded from the support section on the main WOFF page. Sincerely hope you get sorted

INSTALL DLL FILE TO PROGRAM FOLDER
· Copy the extracted wmp.dll file to the installation directory of the application or game.
· Check if the problem is solved. If the problem persists or you are not sure which software is having problems, install the file directly to Windows system folder.
REGISTER DLL FILE USING MICROSOFT REGSVR
· Copy the file to "C:\Windows\System32\"
· You can install the .dll file in both system folders without any problems. In order to complete this step, you must run the Command Prompt as administrator.
· Open the Start Menu and before clicking anywhere, type "cmd" on your keyboard.
· Right-click the "Command Prompt" search result and click the "Run as administrator" option.
· Paste the following command into the Command Line window that opens up and press Enter key.
· %windir%\System32\regsvr32.exe wmp.dll

Pol and WM are knee deep in WOTR at the moment but you can contact support on..support(at)overflandersfields.com Hopefully Pol I’ll see your query and advise.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4611541 - 10/19/22 02:41 PM Re: Can't fix busted WMP _ preventing me installing WOFF [Re: Adger]  
Bigfish Offline
Bigfish  Offline

Nottingham, England
Hello Adger, thanks very much for your swift and helpful reply!

Yes I've religiously followed all the instal instructions for WOFF II including Dir X.

My AV is Eset's NOD32 which I doubt is affecting things.

My theory, for what it's worth, and supported by your extract I think, is that somehow the correct wmp.dll has been replaced in C:\Windows|System32\ by some alternative media player I installed (maybe Cyberlink Power DVD) which renders Windows Media Player defunct.

For reasons I don't understand when you uninstal WMP, and reinstal it, it doesn't overwrite the wmp.dll. Presumably part of the WOFF instal looks for the original wmp.dll so as to play intro movies etc., can't find the one it wants, and terminates the instal.

So I just need a 'proper' copy of wmp.dll. WMP doesn't work on my other PC either (probably for the same reason!). Do you know if I can get a safe one anywhere?

Alan

PS yes I didn't want to trouble support with my query, hopefully can get a fix via the forum.

Intel i9-10900k @ 5.2GHz, ROG Maximus XII Hero, 32Gb DDR4, RTX 2060, 4 SSDs + HDD, Acer Predator 34", TM Cougar stick, TM Warthog throttle, Saitek pedals, TIR v5.4.2, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, ESET NOD 32 AV, WOFF II BH&H v 1.35
#4611560 - 10/19/22 05:55 PM Re: Can't fix busted WMP _ preventing me installing WOFF [Re: Bigfish]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Hi mate, do you have Windows 64bit ? Theres 2 "WMP.DLL" s in windows i've one in c:\Windows\system32 which is 11,177kb and one in c:\windows\wow64 which is 9,265 kb, i can't see the harm if i sent them to you via email?

We will remember them.
#4611570 - 10/19/22 08:58 PM Re: Can't fix busted WMP _ preventing me installing WOFF [Re: Bigfish]  
Bigfish Offline
Bigfish  Offline

Nottingham, England
Adger, outstanding! That would surely fix it. Shall I pm you my email address?

Thanks for taking such trouble to get me started.

Alan

#4611571 - 10/19/22 09:08 PM Re: Can't fix busted WMP _ preventing me installing WOFF [Re: Bigfish]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Originally Posted by Bigfish
Adger, outstanding! That would surely fix it. Shall I pm you my email address?

Thanks for taking such trouble to get me started.

Alan

Yeah send me a PM Alan, at least then you can try the files i have on my Rig.

We will remember them.
#4611594 - 10/20/22 10:27 AM Re: Can't fix busted WMP _ preventing me installing WOFF [Re: Bigfish]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

BTW did you update to the latest version that could fix some issues with the splash media playing on PCs with broken Windows media player.

Try that first please. There is another possible workaround but updating to the latest version should avoid it.

The old fix note no longer in the FAQ as the latest update works around it.

"If you launch and the WOFF menu seems to hang, try renaming OBDSplash.wmv found in C:\OBDSoftware\WOFF\OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields\campaigns\CampaignData\ShellMusic
Rename it to something like OBD.wav instead, and it will be ignored. WOFF menu will load."

But update first before trying that please.

Last edited by Polovski; 10/20/22 10:32 AM.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4611633 - 10/20/22 07:03 PM Re: Can't fix busted WMP _ preventing me installing WOFF [Re: Adger]  
Bigfish Offline
Bigfish  Offline

Nottingham, England
Hi Adger, got your PM, downloaded your wmp.dll from Dropbox, will give it a go tomorrow.

Massive thanks for taking the time and trouble

Alan

#4611637 - 10/20/22 07:21 PM Re: Can't fix busted WMP _ preventing me installing WOFF [Re: Bigfish]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Originally Posted by Bigfish
Hi Adger, got your PM, downloaded your wmp.dll from Dropbox, will give it a go tomorrow.

Massive thanks for taking the time and trouble

Alan

No worries mate , Pols tips above might work aswell best of luck pal.

We will remember them.
#4611639 - 10/20/22 07:24 PM Re: Can't fix busted WMP _ preventing me installing WOFF [Re: Polovski]  
Bigfish Offline
Bigfish  Offline

Nottingham, England
Hi Polovski, I can't believe you have the time to even notice my post let alone reply, so thank you so much!

I was pretty sure I'd installed v1.34 over the original download.

Just to be sure I double-clicked 1.34 exe and it said I'd already installed it; but I did it again anyway.

And - well, bugger me as we say in moments of high stress in the RFC - the splash screen loaded, I put my order number in, and there I am on the main screen with a different piece of beautiful music to what I recall from WOFF I.

How to explain? Something dumb I did, no doubt. I should have known you very smart guys would have built in a fix for broken WM Players!

So I'm very sorry to have wasted your time (and Adger, I'll give your wmp.dll a go anyway as it might fix my broken WMP).

I've been re-reading all the books I've got (quite a lot) on the RFC and I'm so excited to be starting flying WOFF again. This time my intention is to try and follow a complete campaign.

Big thanks

Alan

#4611643 - 10/20/22 07:42 PM Re: Can't fix busted WMP _ preventing me installing WOFF [Re: Bigfish]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Great stuff Alan, BHAH II is a phenomenal piece of work, once you’re up and running and If your confident with Jsgme and mods then absolutely have a nosy at the mods page. The consolidated airfields mod, Jerbears aircraft skins and definitely Buckeyebobs Ver 5 of his cloud mod are personal favourites of mine pal.

We will remember them.
#4611667 - 10/21/22 06:22 AM Re: Can't fix busted WMP _ preventing me installing WOFF [Re: Adger]  
Bigfish Offline
Bigfish  Offline

Nottingham, England
So much to go at! I'm just watching Rick Rawlings videos, what a tremendous help.

I'll check out the mods page once I get going.

It's great to know all you helpful people are still cheerfully helping - a great forum.

Alan

#4611716 - 10/21/22 06:22 PM Re: Can't fix busted WMP _ preventing me installing WOFF [Re: Bigfish]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Good to know Alan, back in the sky!

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search