Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4610668 - 10/08/22 12:18 PM New Player  
Snow46 Offline
Veteran
Snow46  Offline
Veteran

Idaho, USA
Hello All,
New to flight sims and new here. I thought I would learn the game a bit but am finding that when I start a mission in the career mode everyone just flies away from me. I do take off but it seems the only way to keep up is at 100% power with wep (?) on. I arrive at the waypoints alone and don’t see anyone until time to land. Is this normal? I was afraid of running out of fuel.

Desktop Intel i9 3.7GHz, 32GB RAM,
3 TB SSD, NVIDIA 3080
#4610694 - 10/08/22 05:44 PM Re: New Player [Re: Snow46]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Welcome to WOTR! WWI is much more my thing, but my guess is that you need to fine-tune your prop pitch and fuel mixture. At takeoff, you need full rich, but when you get above a couple thousand feet in height, you need to start leaning the mixture. Or, you can set fuel mixture to automatic in Workshop.

You may also need to use WEP at takeoff in order to get up into the air, but don't forget to cut back after a minute of two in order to prevent damaging the engine. Finally, don't climb too aggressively as it will slow you down. Keep in mind that the AI always knows exactly what the correct combination of throttle, prop pitch, fuel mixture and climb is required at any given moment, so it can be quite difficult to keep up with them at times. Depending on squadron, they may also have later models of aircraft than you.

Someone much more knowledgeable than me will be able to give you better and more detailed information, so please be patient, and good luck!

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4610699 - 10/08/22 07:29 PM Re: New Player [Re: VonS]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Originally Posted by VonS
Performance tips for the Hurries and Spitties available here and here.

Carry on gents',
Von S smile2

Links not provided VonS ..nothing to click on pal.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4610703 - 10/08/22 08:02 PM Re: New Player [Re: Adger]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Originally Posted by Adger

That initial post went through by mistake for some reason, while being edited -- fresh post included below, in this message, to minimize multiple postings.

-----
-----

Cheers all,
Von S smile2

Last edited by VonS; 10/08/22 08:04 PM. Reason: Edited post.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4610704 - 10/08/22 08:12 PM Re: New Player [Re: Snow46]  
Snow46 Offline
Veteran
Snow46  Offline
Veteran

Idaho, USA
Thanks VonS, but I am a great example of a clueless beginner and have no idea what to do with this great information. Maybe someday I will get a clue.😵‍💫

3 TB SSD, NVIDIA 3080
#4610722 - 10/09/22 05:07 AM Re: New Player [Re: Snow46]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Until you feel a bit more comfortable, just take things one step at a time. First, set auto-mixture to ON in Workshop. Then, practice taking off at full power (100% + WEP, or war emergency power) and learn how to retract flaps and landing gear so it becomes second nature. Then, cut back to 100% power (non-WEP) and start fiddling with the pitch until you are getting around 2800 rpm's. After that, you can focus on keeping up with your flight mates. Once you have mastered that, you may wish to turn off auto-mixture in Workshop in order to get maximum performance from your aircraft.

As suggested above, be sure to turn on the TACtical display so you can see where your flight mates are and where they are headed. You can also use the in-flight map to see where each waypoint is to get a better idea where the AI may be headed next. I don't consider it cheating if you take a more direct route to the next waypoint than the AI, especially if you are already falling behind them a bit.

With practice, you will literally "catch up" to the AI. Just don't get jumped by Jerry!

P.S. You should probably learn to do this in QC, not the campaign. Choose free flight and start on the field. You can also practice your landings, all at the same time. Don't forget to choose "Pilot never dies" as this will save you the time from having to create new pilots.

Last edited by BuckeyeBob; 10/09/22 05:48 AM. Reason: added QC recommendation

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4610740 - 10/09/22 01:52 PM Re: New Player [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Originally Posted by VonS
Originally Posted by Adger

That initial post went through by mistake for some reason, while being edited -- fresh post included below, in this message, to minimize multiple postings.

-----
-----

Cheers all,
Von S smile2

Cheers mate appreciated.

Originally Posted by BuckeyeBob
Until you feel a bit more comfortable, just take things one step at a time. First, set auto-mixture to ON in Workshop. Then, practice taking off at full power (100% + WEP, or war emergency power) and learn how to retract flaps and landing gear so it becomes second nature. Then, cut back to 100% power (non-WEP) and start fiddling with the pitch until you are getting around 2800 rpm's. After that, you can focus on keeping up with your flight mates. Once you have mastered that, you may wish to turn off auto-mixture in Workshop in order to get maximum performance from your aircraft.

As suggested above, be sure to turn on the TACtical display so you can see where your flight mates are and where they are headed. You can also use the in-flight map to see where each waypoint is to get a better idea where the AI may be headed next. I don't consider it cheating if you take a more direct route to the next waypoint than the AI, especially if you are already falling behind them a bit.

With practice, you will literally "catch up" to the AI. Just don't get jumped by Jerry!

P.S. You should probably learn to do this in QC, not the campaign. Choose free flight and start on the field. You can also practice your landings, all at the same time. Don't forget to choose "Pilot never dies" as this will save you the time from having to create new pilots.

Excellent advice Chris, I usually leave the mixture to auto I’m going have a good practice flying with auto mixture off.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4610745 - 10/09/22 03:12 PM Re: New Player [Re: Snow46]  
Snow46 Offline
Veteran
Snow46  Offline
Veteran

Idaho, USA
Thanks, that helps. Is there a post or place that describes how to read the TAC display? I tried using auto pilot after taking off and was able keep up with the flight group. When we encountered bogies, I turned off the autopilot and turned it back on to return to the field. Landed out of autopilot.

3 TB SSD, NVIDIA 3080
#4610754 - 10/09/22 08:30 PM Re: New Player [Re: Snow46]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
The TAC is relatively straight-forward. It shows you a 360-degree view of the space around your aircraft but does not indicate if the enemy is above or below you. You can turn it on or off, and you can toggle the range of the view from 4.4, 2.2, 1.1, 0.6, or 0.3 nautical miles. You can also toggle whether the TAC tracks "all", "aircraft", "balloons", "airfields", or "structures." I tend to have it track aircraft, as it will still mark ground objects even with aircraft selected. Friendly aircraft are colored green, while enemy aircraft are red. Aircraft that are too far away to be identified are grey in color. With another key, you can "highlight" a particular aircraft to track, which can be useful in a dogfight. Highlighted aircraft are colored yellow.

You can also make the TAC appear larger or smaller, but that requires editing the view.xml file, I think. Most people leave it alone.

Finally, in the Workshop menu, you can control the distance where labels will identify the identity and distance of enemy aircraft, but you need to make sure that labels are turned on for this to display.

#4611025 - 10/12/22 09:22 PM Re: New Player [Re: Snow46]  
Snow46 Offline
Veteran
Snow46  Offline
Veteran

Idaho, USA
What does the blue line on the TAC indicate?

3 TB SSD, NVIDIA 3080
#4611030 - 10/12/22 10:15 PM Re: New Player [Re: Snow46]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
The light blue line indicates the direction and distance to your next waypoint. If the line is angled to the right, you need to steer right and so on. When you get very close to the waypoint, the line will shrink and then shift direction to point to the next waypoint.

If you set your pilot to AI control, you can watch the AI follow the line as it shifts from one waypoint to another.

Note: the line may disappear if you encounter enemy aircraft until the combat is resolved. It may also shift from the next waypoint to point to a friendly airfield if your plane is damaged.

Last edited by BuckeyeBob; 10/12/22 10:20 PM.

#4611217 - 10/14/22 06:35 PM Re: New Player [Re: Snow46]  
Snow46 Offline
Veteran
Snow46  Offline
Veteran

Idaho, USA
Thanks, played with it yesterday, your comments really helped!

3 TB SSD, NVIDIA 3080
#4611223 - 10/14/22 07:55 PM Re: New Player [Re: Snow46]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Thanks. Glad to be of service.

#4612052 - 10/26/22 11:08 PM Re: New Player [Re: Snow46]  
Snow46 Offline
Veteran
Snow46  Offline
Veteran

Idaho, USA
Having started with flight sims just a few weeks ago which translates to about 8 play hours. I find this game very enjoyable but still difficult. I wonder if I should spend more or focus on an easier game (IL-1946?) first?

For instance I can take off with no issues but have difficulty keeping up with the flight, so I initiated autopilot. When we encounter enemies, again no real issues there except staying alive. Return to base is ok. But landing is still Autopilot. Part of the problem is getting the muscle memory on all the commands. Any idea of the typical time it takes to get relatively proficient?

Last edited by Snow46; 10/27/22 02:21 PM. Reason: Added

3 TB SSD, NVIDIA 3080
#4612104 - 10/27/22 04:58 PM Re: New Player [Re: Snow46]  
Sandbagger Offline
Hotshot
Sandbagger  Offline
Hotshot

Coningsby, Lincs, UK
Hi Snow,
Visit the OBD page to find FAQ and other helpful stuff,

Mike

https://www.overflandersfields.com/support.html

[Linked Image]

Alienware Aurora R5
Windows 10 64 bit
Intel i7-6700K 4.2Ghz
Two GTX 1080 Foundations in SLI (8 Gig each)
32 Gig DDR4 2133Mhz
1TB SSD boot drive - 1TB SATA storage drive
5.1 Surround Sound
34" Dell Ultra Sharp U3415W (3440x 2440)
CH Pro-Pedals, Stick and Throttle
TrackIR-5 Pro
#4612133 - 10/27/22 10:12 PM Re: New Player [Re: Snow46]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
For landing, there are a few things you need to do, usually in this order:

1) Open your canopy. This will increase drag and slow your speed.
2) Reduce throttle. How much will depend on a variety of factors, but you should probably chop it to somewhere between 30% to 60% (this also depends on a variety of factors, and more knowledgeable and experienced players may have better or more detailed recommendations).
3) Once your speed has begun to drop, start lowering your flaps. If your speed is still too high, gently pull back on the stick and/or engage in a few slow turns. Note: once your flaps are extended, you may need to increase your throttle a bit to compensate so you don't stall (see note 1 below).
4) Lower your wheels and line up with the runway, if you haven't already.
5) Ideally, your airplane should be just above stall speed just before you touch ground. The most common mistake that rookie pilots make (including myself) is coming in too fast. If you find yourself coming in too fast, DO NOT reduce throttle to 0% (see note 2 below). Instead, go to max power, climb, come around, and try again.

Notes:
1) It's critical to know the stall speed of your aircraft, both with flaps fully extended and without. Falling below stall speed at any time during approach can be deadly.
2) When landing, the elevator plays a greater role in controlling your speed, and the throttle plays a greater role in controlling your rate of descent.
3) Practice, practice, practice! You will never learn how to do this by letting the AI do it for you. Plus, you will get a tremendous feeling of satisfaction once you learn how to do this on your own. If dying and having to start a new campaign over and over again is an issue, use QC instead of the campaign to learn how to land.

I am sure there are a few points I may have missed (or got wrong) or that may require more elaboration. Feel free to keep asking questions.

#4612258 - 10/28/22 09:41 PM Re: New Player [Re: Snow46]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

..and to add to BuckeyeBob's comments, you can set "pilot never dies"in QC (bottom row) to save you recreating pilots when practising.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4612368 - 10/30/22 04:26 PM Re: New Player [Re: Snow46]  
Snow46 Offline
Veteran
Snow46  Offline
Veteran

Idaho, USA
Is there a way to set up a “training flight” mode where you can practice things like taking off and landing? I like the game and know it will take a lot more practice. Do I need a throttle? I see the number keys control throttle in 10 steps. The throttle on the Thrustmaster fcs works but is awkward to use.

Thanks for the great advice Buckeye Bob!

Last edited by Snow46; 10/30/22 04:27 PM.

3 TB SSD, NVIDIA 3080
#4612381 - 10/30/22 05:26 PM Re: New Player [Re: Snow46]  
Burning_Beard Offline
Burning_Beard  Offline

Red Bluff, CA
You can go into Quick Combat and select Free Flight and set your altitude to Field. Be sure to check pilot never dies, in case of unfortunate accidents. You can pick any field you like that is active for the side you are flying for.

More Scotch and Stogies for my Wingman!
#4612421 - 10/30/22 11:15 PM Re: New Player [Re: Snow46]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
The "Killer Bees!"

B = Bletchley
B_B = Burning_Beard
BB = BuckeyeBob

biggrin

Good idea to look around inside the QC menu. As Burning_Beard just mentioned, it gives you a lot of options, including Free Flight, which is ideal for practicing takeoffs and landings free of enemy interference.

Keep us informed of your progress, Snow46!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.