Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4610073 - 10/02/22 01:19 AM Elon Musk Tesla robot  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Skynet nightmare with robots become self aware and think humans are not worth living may soon be reality

https://electrek.co/2022/09/23/tesla-thousands-humanoid-robots-factories/

https://www.yahoo.com/video/teslas-robot-real-robot-now-021737333.html

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4610074 - 10/02/22 01:33 AM Re: Elon Musk Tesla robot [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
NP - humans killed by non-robots will still far outnumber those that are taken out by artificial intel, case in point:

today ... "At least 127 people reported dead following soccer match, police say" ....... no link and info removed so as not to be political but there u have it !

Elon loves innovation but in this field there's plenty of competition

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4610075 - 10/02/22 02:46 AM Re: Elon Musk Tesla robot [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
No Cherry 2000, no care.

#4610078 - 10/02/22 07:16 AM Re: Elon Musk Tesla robot [Re: Haggart]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted by Haggart
Elon loves innovation but in this field there's plenty of competition

Tesla is a late arrival to the robot game to be sure. They have some advantages that could really pay off. Musk adopted the approach to design for mass production as a key part of his projects. Tesla and SpaceX vehicles both exemplify it. Tesla's pursuit of Full Self Driving has amassed a high amount of data and expertise in practical functioning in the real world, with the fleet feeding more data in as time marches on.

While Musk is notorious for being overly optimistic on time estimates for something coming to fruition... he's also relentless. I suspect his experiences to date have taught him to build in more padding on his time estimates, but maybe not. Either way, he seems pretty committed, as he sees this as a path to greater abundance for humanity. While I haven't heard him say it, I'm sure he's envisioning these as a force multiplier for Mars colonization. Robots won't need nearly as much support (air, water, food) and can function for prolonged periods if sufficient power is available. If other robots can perform the needed maintenance to keep the robots going, that could have a major impact on colony viability.

#4610081 - 10/02/22 01:28 PM Re: Elon Musk Tesla robot [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
No one has yet to explain convincingly how you can go from something with purely digital programming to somehow magically achieving self-awareness and consciousness. That leap is still firmly science fiction.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4610082 - 10/02/22 01:30 PM Re: Elon Musk Tesla robot [Re: Haggart]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA

today ... "At least 127 people reported dead following soccer match, police say" ....... no link and info removed so as not to be political but there u have it !

While at the same time global population is increasing by about 100 million per year. Looking at this from a purely statistical perspective those 127 deaths are not even a drop in the swimming pool when it comes to the human race possibly going extinct.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4610084 - 10/02/22 01:57 PM Re: Elon Musk Tesla robot [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
CyBerkut ..... "Tesla is a late arrival to the robot game to be sure. They have some advantages that could really pay off. Musk adopted the approach to design for mass production as a key part of his projects. Tesla and SpaceX vehicles both exemplify it. Tesla's pursuit of Full Self Driving has amassed a high amount of data and expertise in practical functioning in the real world, with the fleet feeding more data in as time marches on.
While Musk is notorious for being overly optimistic on time estimates for something coming to fruition... he's also relentless. I suspect his experiences to date have taught him to build in more padding on his time estimates, but maybe not. Either way, he seems pretty committed, as he sees this as a path to greater abundance for humanity. While I haven't heard him say it, I'm sure he's envisioning these as a force multiplier for Mars colonization. Robots won't need nearly as much support (air, water, food) and can function for prolonged periods if sufficient power is available. If other robots can perform the needed maintenance to keep the robots going, that could have a major impact on colony viability."

good post Cyberkut ...definitely !

#4610085 - 10/02/22 02:03 PM Re: Elon Musk Tesla robot [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

While at the same time global population is increasing by about 100 million per year. Looking at this from a purely statistical perspective those 127 deaths are not even a drop in the swimming pool when it comes to the human race possibly going extinct.

its up to 174 now ..... if people are going to die like this over a soccer match they might as well sign up for a war (doesn't have to be in their own country) so they can at least die while trying to preserve freedom from dictators - that way at least their death will have some meaning and their family can feel that they died for a great cause ...rather than for a soccer match

#4610098 - 10/02/22 03:27 PM Re: Elon Musk Tesla robot [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
No one has yet to explain convincingly how you can go from something with purely digital programming to somehow magically achieving self-awareness and consciousness. That leap is still firmly science fiction.

I don't think achieving self-awareness and consciousness is even a goal that Tesla has for the Optimus robot(s). Consciousness is probably something you really don't want your manual labor machines to have, actually. You sure don't want them unionizing and forming picket lines out in front of the business, protesting for better lubrication, maintenance and equipment upgrades.

#4610123 - 10/02/22 10:32 PM Re: Elon Musk Tesla robot [Re: CyBerkut]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
Originally Posted by CyBerkut

I don't think achieving self-awareness and consciousness is even a goal that Tesla has for the Optimus robot(s). Consciousness is probably something you really don't want your manual labor machines to have, actually. You sure don't want them unionizing and forming picket lines out in front of the business, protesting for better lubrication, maintenance and equipment upgrades.

rofl

#4610126 - 10/02/22 10:54 PM Re: Elon Musk Tesla robot [Re: Crane Hunter]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted by Crane Hunter
No Cherry 2000, no care.

Lol, that was a great cheesy movie.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4610134 - 10/03/22 12:09 AM Re: Elon Musk Tesla robot [Re: Crane Hunter]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Crane Hunter
No Cherry 2000, no care.

That's rad

add to my list

https://www.amazon.com/Cherry-2000-David-Andrews/dp/B003U6KUTW

#4610141 - 10/03/22 02:39 AM Re: Elon Musk Tesla robot [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Witchy Woman Offline
Witchy Woman  Offline

usa
its ironic how many movies Hollyweird has made about AI and robots taking over and destroying mankind and even big tech has admitted this danger but they still strive towards this very bad direction. The world needs a Sarah Connor very soon or we are doomed. hahaha

Last edited by Witchy Woman; 10/03/22 02:39 AM.
#4610152 - 10/03/22 03:24 AM Re: Elon Musk Tesla robot [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas
It goes back way further than that. Rossum's Universal Robots had crazy AI robots taking over in the 1920s IIRC.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.