#4614414 - 11/21/22 11:42 AM Re: SimHQ pilots sound in on these [Re: semmern]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by semmern

My fault for not speaking French, you say? Well, there are six official ICAO/UN languages, and it is a stretch to demand that every pilot speak all six wink

If I won the Lotto and could quit my job I would tackle French after I finally achieve full fluency with German. It turns out that 2 years of high school German and 2 years of college German isn't enough when you never get to actually speak the language on a daily basis. biggrin

Besides, you are fully bilingual so you are well ahead of the global population in that respect. smile

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 11/21/22 11:43 AM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4614416 - 11/21/22 12:20 PM Re: SimHQ pilots sound in on these [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Hehe.
Makes me think back to a theory instructor we had at Dassault in Paris eons ago.

He was teaching fuel systems and at one point discussed problems if you got air in the fuel lines.
So he turned to a college of mine and asked "So mr. R, what happens if you get air in the fuel lines?"
The instructor had a distinct french accent when he spoke english, so in words that started with a wovel it sounded like it was a "h" before the wovel.
In this case the A.
My college thought about the question and finally answered :" A clogged fuel filter?"
biggrin

Those were happy days. smile

“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
#4614484 - 11/21/22 10:11 PM Re: SimHQ pilots sound in on these [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

semmern: Thank you for sharing that. I now know to never fly to Paris.

#4614501 - 11/22/22 08:22 AM Re: SimHQ pilots sound in on these [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy

Fly with Air France and there should be no problem wink

I checked this thread, but it must have been a different one where it was about a near-crash in Paris because the ATC gave a wrong barometer setting in English, while at the same time while communicating with a Air France plane she gave the proper setting in French...

#4614898 - 11/26/22 04:57 PM Re: SimHQ pilots sound in on these [Re: WhoCares]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted by WhoCares

Fly with Air France and there should be no problem wink

I checked this thread, but it must have been a different one where it was about a near-crash in Paris because the ATC gave a wrong barometer setting in English, while at the same time while communicating with a Air France plane she gave the proper setting in French...

Yep, that was an A320 recently. Lowest recorded radio altitude was 6 ft, more than one nautical mile short of the runway!

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4618795 - 01/16/23 12:57 PM Re: SimHQ pilots sound in on these [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Why punish the passengers of the Delta plane by delaying their journey? IMO American plane is at fault. https://abcnews.go.com/US/faa-inves...es-planes-collided-jfk/story?id=96447033

#4618800 - 01/16/23 03:29 PM Re: SimHQ pilots sound in on these [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Why punish the passengers of the Delta plane by delaying their journey? IMO American plane is at fault. https://abcnews.go.com/US/faa-inves...es-planes-collided-jfk/story?id=96447033

It's not like "Delta, you did something wrong, your flight is punished" - the article says that due to crew resources Delta could not execute the flight, indicating that the current crew could not do the flight anymore, and they had no reserve crew at hand to take over.
Considering that the flight was in the evening (8:45pm), the current crew might already have flown some trips and due to the delay simply exceeded their daily operating times. Or due to the incident they were not allowed by official or company regulation to proceed.
As the comms in the video indicate, it seems the AA taxied the wrong way, crossing the active runway to hold short of 31L, instead to 4L. But we have not heard the actual taxi clearance, so who knows...

#4618820 - 01/16/23 07:54 PM Re: SimHQ pilots sound in on these [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA

That’s what you took from that ?

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4618852 - 01/17/23 12:46 PM Re: SimHQ pilots sound in on these [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

In this NY Times article there is another video including the taxi clearance. And some flight (ground) radar map showing parts of the path of the planes. It looks like the shown path is really just the incursion, would have been nice to see the full taxi of AA106, and when they got instruction to "cross 31L at Kilo".
The way it looks now, they would have to pull a left 270° turn. If that was the point and time AA106 got the taxi instruction to cross the runway, I can see why he crossed the runway in front of him instead of pulling a 270...

But as said, the map/video and audio are obviously not time accurate sync'd, so it's not clear where AA106 really was when they got the instruction to cross the runway 31L. But they still lost the situational awareness which made them cross runway 4L, so ultimately the blame is on them.

Edit: Just looked again, the first taxi clearance was "hold short of Kilo", so when the second clearance to "cross 31L at Kilo" comes he is standing right there at the intersection, just a normal right-hand turn. Maybe it was the pilot "driving" in the left seat that saw the runway crossing ahead but not to the right, but that's a weak excuse...
At the start of the video he is already beyond the Kilo intersection, but that's likely because audio and video are totally out of sync.

Edit2: Here is a better video that should be (somewhat as per intro screen) sync'd map and audio:

Last edited by WhoCares; 01/17/23 01:13 PM.
#4619883 - 02/03/23 06:14 PM Re: SimHQ pilots sound in on these [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Passenger plane fly through a storm at 37000 feet and is struck by lightning and everything goes dead. Instruments, avionics, radio, transponder. The only thing left is battery giving it 10 minutes of time in the air. Is that possible for lightning to do that to a plane? There are no backup?

Watching this Plane https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5884796

#4619906 - 02/03/23 10:51 PM Re: SimHQ pilots sound in on these [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
BUFF Offline
Hotshot
BUFF  Offline
Hotshot

Glasgow, Scotland
It's Hollywood, truth takes a back seat to a good story.
Afaik they should have a ram air turbine as a backup.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"

www.CombatACE.com SF P1/WOV/WOE/First Eagles flunky

abit forums
#4619908 - 02/03/23 11:15 PM Re: SimHQ pilots sound in on these [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4619910 - 02/03/23 11:53 PM Re: SimHQ pilots sound in on these [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Thank you BUFF and OldGrognard.

Then after they landed, the copilot
change a couple of fuses in the BUS and Backup BUS and APU in the forward landing gear hole under the fuselage and it was ready to fly again.

#4620785 - 02/14/23 02:21 PM Re: SimHQ pilots sound in on these [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

A320 loss of engine power after lightning strike, Feb 12th 2023

A SAS Scandinavian Airlines Airbus A320-200N, registration SE-ROD performing flight SK-4434 from Oslo to Tromso (Norway), was on approach to Tromso's runway 19 when the aircraft received a lightning strike followed by loss of thrust on one of the engines (LEAP) prompting the crew to declare Mayday Mayday and initiate a go around from about 1200 feet MSL. The aircraft climbed to FL110, subsequently FL160, and returned to Tromso for a safe landing on runway 19 about 30 minutes later.

In another article it's said the engine shut down, but the crew managed to restart it.

#4620787 - 02/14/23 03:11 PM Re: SimHQ pilots sound in on these [Re: oldgrognard]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil

yeah, but that was in the aluminium era of planes. now with composite materials they are being damaged by lighting

#4620800 - 02/14/23 08:52 PM Re: SimHQ pilots sound in on these [Re: WhoCares]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted by WhoCares
A320 loss of engine power after lightning strike, Feb 12th 2023

A SAS Scandinavian Airlines Airbus A320-200N, registration SE-ROD performing flight SK-4434 from Oslo to Tromso (Norway), was on approach to Tromso's runway 19 when the aircraft received a lightning strike followed by loss of thrust on one of the engines (LEAP) prompting the crew to declare Mayday Mayday and initiate a go around from about 1200 feet MSL. The aircraft climbed to FL110, subsequently FL160, and returned to Tromso for a safe landing on runway 19 about 30 minutes later.

In another article it's said the engine shut down, but the crew managed to restart it.

My airline. That was quite well handled, as the braking action was medium to poor and the airport only managed to sweep part of the runway width before they landed. Some interesting conditions around ENTC with strong wind, due to the terrain around the city and airport. Check the area out in Google Earth if you like. It can get pretty rough there at times, and the terrain to the north of the airport even scallops the glideslope signal a bit, so undulations coming down the glide for runway 18 is not unusual. There’s a wind meter at 2600 ft not far from the airport that sends wind data to the ATIS/METAR, and you can see it was blowing a bit that day, 64 kts is full hurricane force. It’s a 4-degree glide due to the terrain, which doesn’t sound like much more than 3 degrees, but is actually quite a significant increase, to the point where you have to slow down to less than 200 kts in a 737/A320 and have some flaps out in order for the speed not to get away from you when descending along the glidepath. Strong winds and varying braking action make for interesting landings at times.

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4620818 - 02/15/23 09:24 AM Re: SimHQ pilots sound in on these [Re: semmern]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Originally Posted by semmern

My airline. That was quite well handled, as the braking action was medium to poor and the airport only managed to sweep part of the runway width before they landed. ...

I posted that incident just because I remembered the earlier discussion of the effect of a lightning strike on a plane.

Even though in the same AV Herald link above there is a message from the airline that does not mention a lightning and engine failure as reason for the go-around:
The airline reported the aircraft needed to abort the first landing attempt due to strong wind and icing in the air but managed to land safely on the second approach. At the time the weather was terrible with strong westerly winds and thunderstorms.

#4620822 - 02/15/23 11:33 AM Re: SimHQ pilots sound in on these [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Yeah, just heard from the company today, there were several versions of the story floating around the media over the last couple of days. It appears that severe icing was the issue, leading to high engine vibrations.

#4620834 - 02/15/23 01:37 PM Re: SimHQ pilots sound in on these [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

I made a search for Lightning at AV Herald
Not all listed reports are actually caused by lightning srtike, but a fair share are - resulting in quite some aborts and diversions. And the planes temporarily grounded for technical inspection.

Of the few that I actually checked out, these two have some pictures of the resulting damage:
Incident: Easyjet Europe A320 at Naples on Sep 25th 2022, lightning strike
Accident: Jetstar B788 at Melbourne and Coolangatta on May 7th 2022, lightning strikes

I also feel with these passengers:
Incident: Brussels A320 at Tenerife on Dec 7th 2022, lightning strike
The airline reported that following the lightning strike a small hole was discovered. Airbus and the airline decided that the aircraft was permitted to do one more flight, the aircraft should return to Brussels with the passengers. This resulted in discussions with the passengers who argued they were just 15 minutes from their destination and should now return to Brussels for a 4.5 hour flight and the next day fly to Tenerife again. Over these discussions the crew timed out, everybody had to get off the aircraft. As the airline has no services in Las Palmas, hotels or onward travel could not be arranged, the passengers were on their own.

Last edited by WhoCares; 02/15/23 01:53 PM.
#4620839 - 02/15/23 05:28 PM Re: SimHQ pilots sound in on these [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
yo guys, we found a hole in the plane after struck by lightining but its fiiiiiiiiiine, i think it can hold another leg, you can go 4.5 hours back to departure or you can stay here on your own since we have no service. gooday.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.