Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4607120 - 08/29/22 12:32 PM Are historical TW titles a thing of the past?  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
It's been several months now since support for Three Kingdoms has ended and there hasn't been a single peep about any new historical title by Creative Assembly. I'm wondering if CA has simply dropped historical and will now concentrate fully on the fantasy genre stuff like Warhammer.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4607123 - 08/29/22 12:38 PM Re: Are historical TW titles a thing of the past? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I'm sure we'll continue to see both.

CA made a filing with the UK's Intellectual Property Office in 2021 for "Total War: Medieval" which is a sign that the developers are working on a new title. However, a file for a patent doesn't necessarily mean it will become a game. But that's the best indication we have of what's next.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4607124 - 08/29/22 12:46 PM Re: Are historical TW titles a thing of the past? [Re: DBond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DBond

CA made a filing with the UK's Intellectual Property Office in 2021 for "Total War: Medieval" which is a sign that the developers are working on a new title. However, a file for a patent doesn't necessarily mean it will become a game. But that's the best indication we have of what's next.

A Medieval 3 would be great indeed but I would actually prefer a Napoleon 2 or an Empire 2. I want to get back to some gunpowder weapons!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4607125 - 08/29/22 12:52 PM Re: Are historical TW titles a thing of the past? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I say yes to all of that.

What would be cool would be a Total War game that actually covered multiple eras, let's say your empire started in ancient Rome, then ran through the eras sort of like Civ.

Total War: Eras.

#4607844 - 09/07/22 03:46 AM Re: Are historical TW titles a thing of the past? [Re: DBond]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

A Medieval 3 would be great indeed but I would actually prefer a Napoleon 2 or an Empire 2. I want to get back to some gunpowder weapons!

Completely agree. Empire was the best concept of all the games, but the worst executed. I would like to see that done correctly.

I say yes to all of that.

What would be cool would be a Total War game that actually covered multiple eras, let's say your empire started in ancient Rome, then ran through the eras sort of like Civ.

Total War: Eras.

Eh . . . I think that would end up as a mess, unfortunately, trying to balance units from different eras.

Last edited by Nimits; 09/07/22 03:47 AM.
#4607858 - 09/07/22 10:27 AM Re: Are historical TW titles a thing of the past? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
And this is subjective of course but I think the naval combat in TW: Napoleon was absolutely the best implemented in all of the TW games.

#4607965 - 09/08/22 01:42 PM Re: Are historical TW titles a thing of the past? [Re: Nimits]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Nimits

Eh . . . I think that would end up as a mess, unfortunately, trying to balance units from different eras.

Yeah, it's kept Civ from getting any traction in the market biggrin

I have a different take, and think that balance is not a thing we should aim for in wargaming , aside perhaps from considerations for multiplayer matches. I've written long posts over at Combat Mission's boards about this, how seeking 'balance' is misguided when designing war games and scenarios. I think asymmetry is a desirable thing. Clashes between two matched forces have their appeal, but more interesting to me is finding success when things are not on an even footing. History of course is filled with dissimilar forces joining battle.

How to beat cannons with your archers. Or armor with your cav. I don't see lack of balance as a disqualifier, but a challenge to overcome. Of course, sometimes I'm the one with the guided missiles.

I think it would work splendidly in Total War. Let's say you have three pillars of your empire, and call them Military, Economic and Technology. The balance is in how the player prioritizes each. An Eras game would allow the player to seek his own balance between these competing things, and if he allows his Military to lag, by choice or by circumstance, it's just a consequence of decisions, actions or circumstances, some perhaps out of his control.

There would be no attempt for the designers to balance units from different eras, that seems impossible. Parity or ascendance is sought through the game play, and not baked in by the design decisions. Or that's how I would see it.

#4607966 - 09/08/22 01:58 PM Re: Are historical TW titles a thing of the past? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
And anyway.... it doesn't have to be that as the eras tick by that some empires will be left in the last one. The mechanic could be that all factions get their upgrade at the same time, with various factors affecting perhaps the quality and quantity of the transition to the next ToE pattern. It wouldn't have to follow Civ's formula. New era, new units, maybe affected by the tech and eco pillars. For everyone. Just one possible option. So not tanks versus cav, but maybe more akin to Panzer IIs vs T-34/85s, ya know? Shermans vs Abrams.

There's plenty of latitude in the scope or approach to this sort of Total War game.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.