Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4607467 - 09/02/22 02:48 PM Spitfire Mk V 3D project  
Lythronax Offline
Lythronax  Offline

Scotland
I've been modelling in Gmax/Max as a hobby for the past few years though I haven't focused the various techniques and skills I've picked up over that time into one proper aircraft project for a few years now. So over the past week I've started building an early Merlin Spitfire with the goal of making it as completely accurate as I can manage. I plan on making the Mk Vc first though a Vb is hard to resist. This is where it stands at the moment:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The model is based on the extremely accurate plans found in Spitfire IX/XVI Engineered by Paul Monforton. This will provide the basis for all geometry and most detail firewall rearwards. Original Supermarine engineering drawings have provided the basis for the early Merlin engine cowlings and will provide reference for modelling the port wing oil cooler - the only other point of difference between the Mk Vc and Mk IX excepting the engine and its corresponding components.

The next piece to be built is the wing fillet, which I've found to be the most complex shape on the entire aircraft.
[Linked Image]

I'll keep you posted on my progress with this bird!

Last edited by Lythronax; 09/02/22 02:49 PM.
#4607540 - 09/03/22 11:28 AM Re: Spitfire Mk V 3D project [Re: Lythronax]  
Lythronax Offline
Lythronax  Offline

Scotland
This morning I've constructed the horizontal stabiliser! In involved cutting a hole in the tail section corresponding to the gap in the skinning for the stabiliser, then building the structure using splines shaped to drawings of the ribs. After CrossSection then Surface modifiers, and converting the mesh to Poly, most of the work was already done. All that was left was shaping the outer curved section and bridging the gaps in the mesh. Finally, the flange/fairing for the elevator hinge was extruded from the back portion. Once one was made, it was cloned - the intersecting vertices then welded.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

More detail is yet to come - specifically the hinge arms for the elevator itself (as with the rudder), but this will be completed later on.

#4607546 - 09/03/22 12:22 PM Re: Spitfire Mk V 3D project [Re: Lythronax]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Looking great Lythronax

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4607552 - 09/03/22 01:09 PM Re: Spitfire Mk V 3D project [Re: Polovski]  
Lythronax Offline
Lythronax  Offline

Scotland
Originally Posted by Polovski
Looking great Lythronax

Thank you so much! I'm pretty happy with how it's progressing so far which is rare for me.

I've also just completed the fillet for the tailplane which was an annoying process to say the very least.
[Linked Image]

#4607556 - 09/03/22 01:32 PM Re: Spitfire Mk V 3D project [Re: Lythronax]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Looks great, Lythronax. Any interest in modeling WWI aircraft, say the Moraine Bullet? biggrin

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4607563 - 09/03/22 02:31 PM Re: Spitfire Mk V 3D project [Re: Lythronax]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Nice work Lythronax, are you hoping to incorporate your work into WOTR either officially or as a mod mate?

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4607564 - 09/03/22 02:55 PM Re: Spitfire Mk V 3D project [Re: Adger]  
Lythronax Offline
Lythronax  Offline

Scotland
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBob
Looks great, Lythronax. Any interest in modeling WWI aircraft, say the Moraine Bullet? biggrin

That IS an aircraft I love and would love to model at some point, though if there were any aircraft I'd want to see in WOFF that I'd be happy to model myself it's the Sopwith Dolphin wink

Originally Posted by Adger
Nice work Lythronax, are you hoping to incorporate your work into WOTR either officially or as a mod mate?

The current Spitfire Mk I 3d model in WOTR is excellent so a new one doesn't need made at all, but if the team want to offload the work of developing the model into later Spit variants I would be ecstatic to help!

Last edited by Lythronax; 09/03/22 03:31 PM.
#4607588 - 09/03/22 06:49 PM Re: Spitfire Mk V 3D project [Re: Lythronax]  
Lythronax Offline
Lythronax  Offline

Scotland
Lovely big elevator; was nearly as much of a pain as the tailplane fillet! I dread to think what the wing will be like.

[Linked Image]

And some general views as to how things are shaping up!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

#4607597 - 09/03/22 07:45 PM Re: Spitfire Mk V 3D project [Re: Lythronax]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Very nice! I think you have some talent, sir!

How long did you say you have been experimenting with GMax? I took a look at it a few years ago, but it quickly gave me a headache! dizzy

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4607598 - 09/03/22 07:56 PM Re: Spitfire Mk V 3D project [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
Lythronax Offline
Lythronax  Offline

Scotland
Very nice! I think you have some talent, sir!

How long did you say you have been experimenting with GMax? I took a look at it a few years ago, but it quickly gave me a headache! dizzy

You are far too kind! I've been experimenting on and off with Gmax since about 2018 but I've taken "breaks" of over a year at least twice since. I'm building this in Max 2008 which has greater flexibility, is easier to use and should still have easy compatibility (or can be made to work with) tools required for CFS3 modelling.

At this very moment I have no idea what to build next - I'm stuck between the cockpit enclosure, wings, prop blades, or the landing gear :')

#4607610 - 09/03/22 10:00 PM Re: Spitfire Mk V 3D project [Re: Lythronax]  
Lythronax Offline
Lythronax  Offline

Scotland
Last post in what's definitely been quite the productive day on my part - the beginnings of that timeless wing!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

At the moment it extends through to the centreline but it'll be refined to true outline of the skinning in the real deal. Thereafter the wing fillet is the final basic contouring shape needed. Once that's sorted I can get onto the finer details, which I'm both anticipating and dreading.

#4607676 - 09/04/22 05:12 PM Re: Spitfire Mk V 3D project [Re: Lythronax]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
"Shaping" up nicely!

I imagine that getting the elliptical wing just right will be a real challenge. You have certainly started out on the right track. Bravo!

#4607682 - 09/04/22 07:45 PM Re: Spitfire Mk V 3D project [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
Lythronax Offline
Lythronax  Offline

Scotland
"Shaping" up nicely!

I imagine that getting the elliptical wing just right will be a real challenge. You have certainly started out on the right track. Bravo!

The wing is shaped to the actual ribs in the real aircraft with the correct incidence and washout so it should hopefully be spot-on, though in the end it's the aerodynamic fillet which really completes the look so it'll be very important to get that absolutely right!

#4607715 - 09/05/22 11:26 AM Re: Spitfire Mk V 3D project [Re: Lythronax]  
Lythronax Offline
Lythronax  Offline

Scotland
Speaking of the fillet, here's its beginnings!

First the middle contours of the upper fillet were drawn as splines, plus a lovely CrossSection then Surface modifier, then converted to poly. Thereafter it was fettled and fitted to shape.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Then, the end section section (actually a metal sheet attached to the fuselage itself) was modelled to the contours of the rearmost fillet section, then fitted to shape.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Next is the lower "gull wing" section, which is in my opinion one of the most important shapes in getting the contours of the Spitfire correct. Stay tuned.

#4607726 - 09/05/22 03:37 PM Re: Spitfire Mk V 3D project [Re: Lythronax]  
Lythronax Offline
Lythronax  Offline

Scotland
And now, the completed fillet. Was definitely quite the hassle.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

#4607756 - 09/05/22 10:57 PM Re: Spitfire Mk V 3D project [Re: Lythronax]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Well, to my admittedly untrained eye, your model looks fantastic! Good work!

#4607793 - 09/06/22 12:55 PM Re: Spitfire Mk V 3D project [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
Lythronax Offline
Lythronax  Offline

Scotland
Well, to my admittedly untrained eye, your model looks fantastic! Good work!

Thank you so much! I owe the decent results to the very, very accurate and in-depth plans I have available. It's made my job roughly 100% easier. Whenever I do the Westland Whirlwind (the WW2 bird I really want to model) things'll be much trickier, unless I can get in contact with the restoration group who has made new plans.

This is where it's at this afternoon - the wings and fillets have been stitched together at the vertex level into one continuous piece to simplify construction, plus some cleaning up has been done on the shape of the underside.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here is the completed basic wing shape, overall I'm very happy with how things have turned out so far. Planform, thickness, dihedral and washout have all turned out to my liking.

[Linked Image]

#4607797 - 09/06/22 01:33 PM Re: Spitfire Mk V 3D project [Re: Lythronax]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Beautiful. One question: is the fuselage really that thin, particularly from the back of the airfoil to the horizontal stabilizer? Might just be a matter of perspective. Still, your model is looking very good. thumbsup

#4607800 - 09/06/22 01:54 PM Re: Spitfire Mk V 3D project [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
Lythronax Offline
Lythronax  Offline

Scotland
Beautiful. One question: is the fuselage really that thin, particularly from the back of the airfoil to the horizontal stabilizer? Might just be a matter of perspective. Still, your model is looking very good. thumbsup

Actually yes! The Spitfire has a very specific contour, I'm lucky that I had drawings for each frame.

[Linked Image]

#4607804 - 09/06/22 02:42 PM Re: Spitfire Mk V 3D project [Re: Lythronax]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Makes sense, as they obviously wanted a design that was as streamlined as possible. Did the original Spitfires even have rivets? I know the British removed the rivets from the American P-51, giving that aircraft another 10 or so knots of airspeed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.