Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4606522 - 08/22/22 05:00 PM When is it really convenient to install an optical collimator?  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy

... And how historically correct is this?
Many aircraft offer the possibility of replacing the "iron sight" with an optical device (Aldis - also trophy - Le Chretien, Oigee). But how advantageous is this in simulation (and compatible with historical correctness)? For example, in the case of the SE5a the choice of the Aldis is almost obligatory (both for the bad position of the ring and bead in this fighter and for historical fidelity), but in the Hanriot HD1 the installation of the Le Chretien optical collimator forces pilot to a position lower which reduces visibility to the outside; then I don't know how often Belgian pilots used it.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4606724 - 08/24/22 03:32 PM Re: When is it really convenient to install an optical collimator? [Re: Greybeard]  
masterKamera Offline
masterKamera  Offline

It depends on the pilot of the day.

Dont think you would see many german pilots with one though, even the trophy thing. Germans liked the crosshair of the wiring, and on inline engines just used the lit radiator cap way in front and your good to go.

But for allied planes, some really improve with it. Others its helpful, although its put in the way of proper visibility for flight.

And overall its a reall really big #%&*$# to get the tube site set up as the default controls dont work the way they claim in the manual.

#4607081 - 08/28/22 10:29 PM Re: When is it really convenient to install an optical collimator? [Re: masterKamera]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
Thanks for your reply.

Eventually, I chose optical sight wherever available, for the reason that I tend to get confused between various iron sights in view (I mean those on top of deck machine guns), or have problems to "detect", in the excitement of a dogfight, the radiator cap when it cross the target, among all the "protuberances" on the engine. The optical gunsight, instead, can't be confused. In addition, like in reality, it does not require a perfect alignement: bullets always land in its centre, also if misaligned. OTOH, it has annoying reflections when sunlight hit it from rear. Moreover, as you too mentioned, I sacrificed some historical fidelity making this choice.

Originally Posted by masterKamera
And overall its a reall really big #%&*$# to get the tube site set up as the default controls dont work the way they claim in the manual.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean...

#4607140 - 08/29/22 03:43 PM Re: When is it really convenient to install an optical collimator? [Re: masterKamera]  
Greybeard Offline
Greybeard  Offline

Italy
Originally Posted by masterKamera
Germans liked the crosshair of the wiring, and on inline engines just used the lit radiator cap way in front and your good to go.

Thinking back, I don't even understand this tale of aiming with the crossing of wires or with the radiator cap: how do you collimate with a single reference? It would be like aiming only with the ring or only with the bead: you definitely miss the target! I am more inclined to think that the German pilots were aiming with the collimator of one of the two machine guns ...

#4607146 - 08/29/22 04:52 PM Re: When is it really convenient to install an optical collimator? [Re: Greybeard]  
masterKamera Offline
masterKamera  Offline

Um seriously, i know the user name your using from il2 sturmovik, and even i believe from the ROF website forums.. and on those two forums this username is well known for "being an #%&*$# know it all" about the most trivial things to do with the games and the planes in them.

SO ill take the bait and have some fun.

IF you get into the cockpit of a ww1 plane, youll see between the cabane struts, bracing wires that create an X shape when viewed form the piliots seat.

normal german behavior and even allied behavior was to use the intersection of these two bracing wires as a primitive cross hair. Its fast, easy, and relatively effective.
The only downside is that it works best with the standard ww1 manner of 100-150 sight in distance and shooting ranges actually used in the war.

the tube sites do work, but most are placed in locations that really really suck to use. And the way the controls are actually set up, to move the pilot head view around do not work the way the user manual says.

Meaning, the user manual says you are setting up a "instant snap view button" that will take you directly to the gunsight view when hit, when in REALITY you are changing the permanent "pilot centered view button" location.

And the actual method described in the manual, and the official rof website key board command lists, do not jive with how it actually has to be done by the buttons your told to do when you do a thread search on that website.

and you HAVE to have the head view centered on the gun sight, just like the collimator sight. and the iron gun sights.

And thus its easier and more accurate to just use the bracing wire and the radiator cap.

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.