Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4606490 - 08/22/22 04:45 AM difficulty levels  
masterKamera Offline
masterKamera  Offline

Well i am a fan of the difficulty level in Cliffs of Dover blitz. you can fly a plane with 20 minutes of trial and error. another 15-20 and you are capable of dodging with a stuka or a bomber. half hour more you can dodge with a fighter.

Issue is, what are the difficulty levels like in WOFF?

#4606515 - 08/22/22 04:10 PM Re: difficulty levels [Re: masterKamera]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Well you can set all sorts up in Workshops, but fundamentally, to ramp down the difficulty you can setup a QC you in a decent 1917 aircraft like an SE5a. Set the enemy in an older craft such as an Eindecker now you are king.
You can also set the enemy aircraft AI level Novice, Veteran and Ace to tailor that more.
Converse to that you can then later setup enemies to be Aces and in better aircraft such as Fok DVIIs and yu could be in a lesser aircraft like a BE2 HD wink

You can also setup accuracy of guns etc, and set your pilot to never dies.

Last edited by Polovski; 08/22/22 04:11 PM.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4606519 - 08/22/22 04:54 PM Re: difficulty levels [Re: masterKamera]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Yeah, I don't think there was a lot of, if any, testing of the easy and medium flight models during development, so it's probably best to set up QC missions as Pol just described.

However, it might be interesting for some bold soul to test out the easy or medium flight models in a campaign. Any volunteers? wink

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4606570 - 08/23/22 04:37 AM Re: difficulty levels [Re: masterKamera]  
masterKamera Offline
masterKamera  Offline

SO in other words. no one can actually give an answer.. Or is it the typical IL2 retort "it all depends on your brand of video card"

#4606578 - 08/23/22 06:49 AM Re: difficulty levels [Re: masterKamera]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

@OP, have never tried the simpler level FMs in the WoFF series so I can't really comment on difficulty levels in terms of flight models -- I stick with the historical/realistic FM level (also, those who fly with my FM packs for WoFF -- keep in mind that they were only tested using the full-realism FM level; did not bother testing with simple or medium FM difficulty settings).

If you are referring to other, broader difficulty level toggles in WoFF -- there are options for "AI never backs down," also that the AI is able to see perfectly through clouds, fog, and many other things, etc. (see the "workshop" settings in WoFF for those options).

Last, I would also recommend downloading JJJ's excellent MultiMod for the WoFF series -- and which contains other options for setting gun accuracy, stress limits for aircraft, etc. (see representative pic. below of an older ver. of the MultiMod; the MultiMod itself is available on Sandbagger's WoFF mods. page).

Cheers all,
Von S smile2

[Linked Image]

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4606580 - 08/23/22 07:13 AM Re: difficulty levels [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
catch Offline
catch  Offline

QLD, Australia
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBob

However, it might be interesting for some bold soul to test out the easy or medium flight models in a campaign. Any volunteers? wink

I've been asked many unsavoury tasks in my lifetime Buckey but it's realistic FM or nothing! The answer is NO!

#4606584 - 08/23/22 10:59 AM Re: difficulty levels [Re: masterKamera]  
orbyxP Offline
orbyxP  Offline

Washington State
Originally Posted by masterKamera
SO in other words. no one can actually give an answer.. Or is it the typical IL2 retort "it all depends on your brand of video card"

Short answer, there is no "button" to give an overall easy, medium, or hard difficulty.

Long answer: see above replies. Summary is that WOFF has knobs and dials in its workshop that allows you to tweak your difficulty settings.

#4606598 - 08/23/22 03:57 PM Re: difficulty levels [Re: masterKamera]  
masterKamera Offline
masterKamera  Offline

I understand the tweaking, perhaps i should have been more descriptive...

I played red baron early 2000's had much fun.

been playing rise of flight for a few years. and cliffs of dover for a while, and just abandoned il2 sturmovik.

My question is more on the dog fighting difficulty. In rise of flight there are two flight models, that control how AI oponnents behave. And in IL2 great battles there are diffirent hard ness levels based on how you play.

Online multiplayer, campaigns/pre made missions, old single player and new single player.

WIth il2 great battles.. if you use the old single player route, your opponents regardless of what they are flying are essentially flying a P51D with a DVa skin on it.. fly and behave like the mustang. But everything you fly behaves like a stuka with an SC 1800 hanging from it.

#4606599 - 08/23/22 04:29 PM Re: difficulty levels [Re: masterKamera]  
Burning_Beard Offline
Burning_Beard  Offline

Red Bluff, CA
I think it as an Apples to Oranges thing. If you are flying a campaign, you can set the AI levels on the second page of Workshops. If you like to fly Quick Combat, there are quite a lot of options on how you set up your flight. There you can pick to type of mission you want to fly, aircraft, if you start on the field or in the air, your wingman nr and skill level, your enemy aircraft type, altitude, nr in flight, and their skill level. Also you can choose season, weather and location. Anything you fly will use the appropriate FM the enemy also uses the appropriate FM. And you can pick pilot never dies, so you don't have to make a new pilot in case of a mishap. The Quick Scenarios are different in that you are flying a mission that is canned but they are described, you can also use the pilot never dies option, these are usually not easy missions and again all FMs are appropriate.

Hope it helps wink

Last edited by Burning_Beard; 08/23/22 04:30 PM.

More Scotch and Stogies for my Wingman!
#4606609 - 08/23/22 08:46 PM Re: difficulty levels [Re: masterKamera]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

... My question is more on the dog fighting difficulty. In rise of flight there are two flight models, that control how AI oponnents behave. And in IL2 great battles there are diffirent hard ness levels based on how you play. Online multiplayer, campaigns/pre made missions, old single player and new single player. WIth il2 great battles.. if you use the old single player route, your opponents regardless of what they are flying are essentially flying a P51D with a DVa skin on it.. fly and behave like the mustang. But everything you fly behaves like a stuka with an SC 1800 hanging from it.

If the OP is referring to FM consistency/integrity -- as far as I have been able to test (and enjoy), the exact same FM parameters are used both by the AI and player-flown aircraft in the WoFF series, ever since about the UE (Ultimate Ed.). Same consistency/integrity of FM (player or AI-flown) is also found in First Eagles 2. Largely the same situation holds true for RoF too (at least in single player mode) -- can't comment on MP in RoF since I've never bothered with MP.

Also can't comment on consistency/integrity of FMs in the IL2-BoX series (never really bothered to fly that series long enough to take active interest in it; largely bought the "BoM" pack, when on sale, for the sake of novelty, although I prefer WoTR).

And yes - AI FMs and player-flown FMs in the old IL2-1946 series (in single player mode) are indeed NOT identical -- I have no idea if this (single-player AI trick) was ever resolved/rectified in the newer BoX series.

Cheers all and happy single-player flying with balanced FMs in the WoFF series (and in FE2),
Von S smile2

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4606611 - 08/23/22 08:55 PM Re: difficulty levels [Re: masterKamera]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Apart from the reasonably clear answer I gave given your vague-ish question

But IF you mean is there a big button you can click to get easy/hard whatever. Nope.
WOFF has lots and lots of options, honed over years, to tailor it, and some of those I mentioned.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4606661 - 08/24/22 05:00 AM Re: difficulty levels [Re: VonS]  
masterKamera Offline
masterKamera  Offline

The alternate flight model for the AI in the old style single player modes is still a hell hole to deal with. its why the newer method of single player quick combat flights is actually liked.
Its not fun to take a p-38 up against a nother p-38 only to have yours act as if your flying a ROF Felixstowe, and the AI controlled P-38 is bouncing about like a Sopwith Pup on cocaine.

Im not exactly a fan of ROF fighter versus fighter play. I prefferred to go after bombers and sink ships.

Last edited by masterKamera; 08/24/22 05:02 AM.
#4606690 - 08/24/22 01:01 PM Re: difficulty levels [Re: masterKamera]  
GPatricks Offline
GPatricks  Offline

Valencia, Spain
The alternate flight model for the AI in the old style single player modes is still a hell hole to deal with. its why the newer method of single player quick combat flights is actually liked.
Its not fun to take a p-38 up against a nother p-38 only to have yours act as if your flying a ROF Felixstowe, and the AI controlled P-38 is bouncing about like a Sopwith Pup on cocaine.

Im not exactly a fan of ROF fighter versus fighter play. I prefferred to go after bombers and sink ships.

When did WOFF get P-38s?

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS \ Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler \ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3192mhz \ SBlasterX G6 \ 2TB NvMe M.2 Boot Drive \ Zotac GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 546.17 drivers \ 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz Gsync \ Win11 Pro Ver.  22H2 - Build 22621.2715 \ TIR 5 \ Warthog HOTAS with VirPil stick base \ MFG V3 Pedals \ TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs \ Simgears ICP \ Varjo Aero VR
#4606723 - 08/24/22 03:26 PM Re: difficulty levels [Re: GPatricks]  
masterKamera Offline
masterKamera  Offline

Originally Posted by Icer

When did WOFF get P-38s?

well if WOFF was made by the IL@ great battles team, then with a 70$ upgrade kit, or as is done already in the flying circus games. If you own a plane you can fly on any map you own.. so people are already doing so currently as Flying Ciruc vol 1 + 2 have severe issues with german fighters..

#4606777 - 08/25/22 03:11 AM Re: difficulty levels [Re: masterKamera]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
In my experience, WOFF is built to have maximum realism. AFAIK, the Realistic flight model is the only one really developed'. The 'easy' and 'medium' modes are ignored left-overs from a bygone time because almost nobody gives a crap about flying an unrealistic version of the game.

Same with the AI pilots ... maximum realism. They act as real as OBD could make them and will put up their maximum fight based on their skill level (ace, novice, etc.). You have to go into the workshop and work hard to get a dumbed-down AI.

You get no magic abilities, nor do the AI; everyone is flying the same flight model and aircraft physics. Your scenario of two identical aircraft flying differently will never happen in WOFF.

The game is highly modifiable as to how hard you want to make it. You can fly 'full real' with all the 'aids' turned off (no TAC, no text messages on screen, navigate by paper maps, etc) or turn on whatever level of 'help' you need (autopilot, player-never-dies, etc).

#4606781 - 08/25/22 09:09 AM Re: difficulty levels [Re: masterKamera]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Good point regarding the TAC, and messages 77_Scout I forgot about all that and labels etc. There's also a "target cone" option to indicate where the enemy is if you felt that necessary. So within the many dozens of options and settings you can tailor things pretty well, just no big button to click. Also yes the Map you can also remove the aircraft icon and without TAC you have to know the waypoints yourself or mark on a paper map as you say. so many areas you can tweak.
But yes the AI always tries to do its best, adjusted by their skill level, morale, fatigue, damage, aircraft type, enemy type, where over the lines and many others.

Regards,

Polovski,

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social