Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4606601 - 08/23/22 06:18 PM Albums that you really wanted to like but just didn't  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
There are three albums that top my list. These are all albums from artists who I really like but for whatever intangible reason just failed to grab me even after listening to them several times.

1. "Animals" - Pink Floyd

I've listened to this one about 5 or 6 times and every time I just find myself struggling to get though it.

2. "Clockwork Angels" - Rush

While I'm actually listening to this album it's OK but by the next day or two I've forgotten most of what I've listened to. None of it "sticks" to my memory.

3. "Brainwashed" - George Harrison (his final album).

This is essentially the same experience I had with "Clockwork Angels".

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4606602 - 08/23/22 06:47 PM Re: Albums that you really wanted to like but just didn't [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Animals is my favorite album of all time. lol

#4606603 - 08/23/22 06:53 PM Re: Albums that you really wanted to like but just didn't [Re: WangoTango]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by WangoTango
Animals is my favorite album of all time. lol

It's really strange too because I love all of their albums from Dark Side to Division Bell with the exception of this one!

Pre- Dark Side though is a different story. The only album I really like is Meddle. All of the others are forgettable for me.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4606604 - 08/23/22 07:07 PM Re: Albums that you really wanted to like but just didn't [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Dogs is my favorite song of all time.
Animals is a great album to just put the headphones on, an chill.

I don't like Rush. Probably because the Canadian content was forced down our throats on FM radio up here. I can't get past Geddy's vocals.
I even saw them in 1984 in Toronto, where they are considered gods. I found it boring. No chicks in the audience either.

People experience music differently.

I wanted to like David Gilmour's and Roger Water's solo stuff more. But I only care for some of it.
as you mentioned, pre Meddle is a whole different world of Pink Floyd, I only like some of it as well.

And The Beatles, I tried, I don't get the hype. The Stones are/were better.

#4606626 - 08/23/22 10:29 PM Re: Albums that you really wanted to like but just didn't [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I think the first time that happened to me was with Van Halen's Diver Down album. I really wanted to like it, but to me it just felt like they phoned it in.

#4606629 - 08/23/22 10:35 PM Re: Albums that you really wanted to like but just didn't [Re: WangoTango]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

I even saw them in 1984 in Toronto, where they are considered gods. I found it boring. No chicks in the audience either.

I didn’t see Rush until their Clockwork Angels tour and there were women. What I also noticed is that the audience was 100% white. Lol.

#4606635 - 08/23/22 11:04 PM Re: Albums that you really wanted to like but just didn't [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I loved early Rush, but never like their live stuff because of Geddy's live voice. I know how unbelievably hard it is to sing and play an instrument at the same time. Especially if the music is complicated like Rush. Add to that doing it for a couple of hours. Very few artists can do it.

I can understand how having it pushed down your throats by Canadien radio would sour a person to a band. We used to have a few Canadien radio stations here that played way too much Bare Naked Ladies (which I hated) and Sarah McLachlan. Drove me nuts. Always loved the Tragically Hip, but hated them live (even though I saw them several times). I loved Gord Downey's voice on the records, but hated his style during live performances. I know that is considered blasphemy in Canada. lol.

As far as girls at concerts, I think Black Sabbath waa the worst concert I ever saw for that. Freaking Sausage party., lol.

Last edited by LB4LB; 08/23/22 11:06 PM.
#4606641 - 08/23/22 11:51 PM Re: Albums that you really wanted to like but just didn't [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, and every other Genesis album I’ve listened to. I think Peter Gabriel is just too weird for me. More weird than David Bowie or David Byrne.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4606648 - 08/24/22 01:28 AM Re: Albums that you really wanted to like but just didn't [Re: LB4LB]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by LB4LB
I think the first time that happened to me was with Van Halen's Diver Down album. I really wanted to like it, but to me it just felt like they phoned it in.

That is one of my favorite summer time albums. Yeah it had too many covers on it. But I can't think of another band that can do covers, and make it their own like Van Halen did.
It still had Little Guitars, The Full Bug, Secrets and Intruder is an amazing build up to Pretty Woman. Hang Em' High I like too. I remember the summer of 82 well. I even like Big Bad Bill (Is Sweet William Now)........as my name is Bill, and I have been tamed, A BIT, by being married to a wonderful woman. 25 years next month. Who am I kidding, at 55 I've been tamed a lot.

Imagine if Rush had hired an actual lead singer.

#4606650 - 08/24/22 01:32 AM Re: Albums that you really wanted to like but just didn't [Re: LB4LB]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
I loved early Rush, but never like their live stuff because of Geddy's live voice. I know how unbelievably hard it is to sing and play an instrument at the same time. Especially if the music is complicated like Rush. Add to that doing it for a couple of hours. Very few artists can do it.

I can understand how having it pushed down your throats by Canadien radio would sour a person to a band. We used to have a few Canadien radio stations here that played way too much Bare Naked Ladies (which I hated) and Sarah McLachlan. Drove me nuts. Always loved the Tragically Hip, but hated them live (even though I saw them several times). I loved Gord Downey's voice on the records, but hated his style during live performances. I know that is considered blasphemy in Canada. lol.

As far as girls at concerts, I think Black Sabbath waa the worst concert I ever saw for that. Freaking Sausage party., lol.

The Tragically Hip are severely overrated in Canada. They have about 5 songs I like. Did I go to their concerts in the 90's ? hell yes, a couple times. They were massive parties. Beer Gardens with lots of girls. Gord Downie was weird.

The only Canadian artist, I will die on a hill for, is Neil Young. No he does not have a the voice of an angel, but d@mn can he write some good songs.

#4606652 - 08/24/22 02:21 AM Re: Albums that you really wanted to like but just didn't [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I actually am/was a big fan of the Tragically Hip. I would say they are probably one of my top 3 favorite bands. I have everything they have ever made (I think). I actually saw them play at the Toledo Zoo once. What a weird venue that was. I didn't care for Gord's politics at the end, but I just tuned that out because he wasn't overbearing about it in their concerts.

Now Neil Young has wrote some absolute masterpieces. I have never agreed with most, if not all, of his politics, but I liked his music enough to just ignore it. He certainly is the king of the one note guitar solo.

I think every artist that we really like reaches that point were they make an album that we really wanted to like, but just couldn't. It's inevitable.

Oh, and this is my favorite Neil Young song:

Last edited by LB4LB; 08/24/22 02:25 AM.
#4606658 - 08/24/22 04:45 AM Re: Albums that you really wanted to like but just didn't [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
<On borrowed time, gotta make this quick...>

Animals...fantastic.

Clockwork Angels...only when I'm in the mood for the story, which is usually after I've read the book.
Although I do like what I believe to be the closest that Rush has ever come to a love song (think of a sexy little flying trapeze 'spinner')...

Rush-Halo Effect (Lyrics)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gsOxmyp5YI

God I miss Rush concerts. frown

All I know of George Harrison solo is "Got My Mind Set On You"...meh.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4606674 - 08/24/22 10:30 AM Re: Albums that you really wanted to like but just didn't [Re: NH2112]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by NH2112
The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, and every other Genesis album I’ve listened to. I think Peter Gabriel is just too weird for me. More weird than David Bowie or David Byrne.

I like Peter Gabriel quite a bit but I can see where you are coming from. Not many rock band front men dressed as a flower while singing on stage and reciting poetry. LOL

#4606675 - 08/24/22 10:32 AM Re: Albums that you really wanted to like but just didn't [Re: WangoTango]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

The only Canadian artist, I will die on a hill for, is Neil Young. No he does not have a the voice of an angel, but d@mn can he write some good songs.

What about Celine Dion, Bryan Adams or Triumph? duck

#4606699 - 08/24/22 01:39 PM Re: Albums that you really wanted to like but just didn't [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

What about Celine Dion, Bryan Adams or Triumph? duck

This is a great Triumph song, but its probably the only one I would not skip if it was playing. My sister loved Rick Emmett, so did many girls in the 80"s.

#4606700 - 08/24/22 01:43 PM Re: Albums that you really wanted to like but just didn't [Re: LB4LB]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
I actually am/was a big fan of the Tragically Hip. I would say they are probably one of my top 3 favorite bands. I have everything they have ever made (I think). I actually saw them play at the Toledo Zoo once. What a weird venue that was. I didn't care for Gord's politics at the end, but I just tuned that out because he wasn't overbearing about it in their concerts.

Now Neil Young has wrote some absolute masterpieces. I have never agreed with most, if not all, of his politics, but I liked his music enough to just ignore it. He certainly is the king of the one note guitar solo.

I think every artist that we really like reaches that point were they make an album that we really wanted to like, but just couldn't. It's inevitable.

Oh, and this is my favorite Neil Young song:

Great song LB4LB. I can look past Neil's politics. I would say I can for all artists, but Roger Waters pissed me off at his shows last month.
This is my favorite Neil Young song. I saw him in 91, saw him again in 96 and some cocky band named Oasis opened for him.

#4606703 - 08/24/22 02:05 PM Re: Albums that you really wanted to like but just didn't [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Pearl Jam playing Rockin In The Free World, in Toronto 2011. A special guest joins them.
BTW I love how Eddie Vedder makes sure the young boy gets a tambourine, at 3:07.
Clicking on the link "watch on YouTube" works. Looks like PJ has it blocked from being displayed.

#4606730 - 08/24/22 04:26 PM Re: Albums that you really wanted to like but just didn't [Re: WangoTango]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME

This is a great Triumph song, but its probably the only one I would not skip if it was playing. My sister loved Rick Emmett, so did many girls in the 80"s.

Yep, girls mooned over Rik’s looks while guys mooned over his playing. He tended to write more introspective songs than the other 2, such as Ordinary Man and this one, my favorite. The man can play! They don’t call him “The Canadian Eddie Van Halen” for nothing!

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4606732 - 08/24/22 04:35 PM Re: Albums that you really wanted to like but just didn't [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Rick was actually tapping before Eddie made it famous. This is pretty cool.

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.