Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4606370 - 08/20/22 01:17 AM Recon Wars: Taking notes: Constant wrong location  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
I am LOVING this mod!! I'm flying in early 1915, no enemies around, just me piloting a sloth of an Aviatik B1 high over the front. The view is incredible and this mod actually allows you to really enjoy flying in pre-air war WWI. The country side is amazing!

So... I fly my route at my assigned alt of +1524m. With my radar tracker on (Shift+T), I make sure I am over the target box, take the notes at level flight... and return.

Either I get poor visibility when there is no cloud cover over the target, or it tells me wrong location?? I'm dead on the troop box, on the assigned troop area. Correct Alt, level flight, slow speed.

What am I doing wrong? I've had the same result on 3 consecutive flights... so 15 notes denied.

Best,

OvS

The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
#4606372 - 08/20/22 03:09 AM Re: Recon Wars: Taking notes: Constant wrong location [Re: OvStachel]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Are you dropping off the notes at local headquarters? I think you need to do that with notes instead of return to your airbase. You also have to be only 100 ft. above the drop site to get credit. Not always easy to do!

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4606392 - 08/20/22 02:04 PM Re: Recon Wars: Taking notes: Constant wrong location [Re: OvStachel]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
Not all missions require the bag drop. But that's definitely not the issue. I've accidentally done that as well. It tells you you were not supposed to drop the notes. Just another great aspect of this mod. You HAVE to read the mission breifing as to who and where and what you're doing. I love it.

But no, nothing to do with the results. I think it's a little sensitive as to the cloud cover. If I can see the ground below, then it should not read poor visibility. If it has a haze or above, then yes. Twice I've been in broken clouds and could clearly see the target area. Last night I al.ost turned back because I could see clouds over the front where I was assigned. But as I got closer, I broke through the clouds and had clear vis for miles well over the target.

#4606405 - 08/20/22 03:03 PM Re: Recon Wars: Taking notes: Constant wrong location [Re: OvStachel]  
orbyxP Offline
orbyxP  Offline

Washington State
You could test to see if its actually the cloud sensitivity, but you'll need to edit the mission file before takeoff.

Select the option in the workshop to use third party mission editor
Launch a campaign mission like you normally would
When you get the pop-up, navigate to your missions xml file. Usually located at XX:\OBDSoftware\WOFF\OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields\missions\historical
open OFF_Camp_Mission.xml with notepad
find and replace Weather="OFFDynamicMissionWeather.xml" with Weather="Off_Clear Sky.xml"
Save and close

Now your mission should have a clear sky and you can fly to the target without any clouds and test it again.

#4606413 - 08/20/22 04:49 PM Re: Recon Wars: Taking notes: Constant wrong location [Re: OvStachel]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Good idea, orbyxp. You don't even need to use notepad--you can do it inside JJJ's mission editor, before you fly the mission. In the editor, click the "Description" button. This will open a window in which you can edit various mission details, including weather. Click the small, blue or purple button on the right and select the desired cloud type from the drop-down menu. Click the save button in the mission description menu and continue.

My theory of why you may get a mission failure due to poor visibility, even with no clouds over the target, is that visibility is not based on cloud cover over the target, but weather type for the mission. In other words, you are more likely to have a mission success when the weather is "Good" or "Light," as opposed to when you have "Changeable" or "Heavy" weather conditions. My GUESS is there is some kind of die-roll going on behind the scenes, with the probability of success determined by overall weather conditions, not actual clouds above the target, which may be difficult or impossible to determine within the game engine.

Only Pol or Winder know for sure, though!

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4606425 - 08/20/22 07:50 PM Re: Recon Wars: Taking notes: Constant wrong location [Re: OvStachel]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
I think you're right. I think that's more of what it is. Is for the whole mission rather than just what is over the target.

#4606428 - 08/20/22 08:02 PM Re: Recon Wars: Taking notes: Constant wrong location [Re: OvStachel]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
I think you can still have a mission success, even in Heavy weather, although the probability may be very low. Maybe they might consider bumping it up a bit?

#4606516 - 08/22/22 04:14 PM Re: Recon Wars: Taking notes: Constant wrong location [Re: OvStachel]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Note if you chose to fly in bad weather (workshop option Bad Weather Cancels Flights turned off, or optional) , it's highly likely it will fail. Basically, you should not fly in bad weather for several reasons, one being visibility.

Last edited by Polovski; 08/22/22 04:14 PM.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4606531 - 08/22/22 06:44 PM Re: Recon Wars: Taking notes: Constant wrong location [Re: OvStachel]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
I don't. I have that as a choice, and I always say no. I'll keep trying and see how things go. Right now, just seems like I get more bad than good. Wrong location when I'm over the target, and poor vis when the area is clear.

I'll keep testing and flying. War is hell...no one said this will be easy. Lol. I do have to say the ack ack is getting to me. Very nerve racking. They're really getting close. Lol.

#4628820 - 06/14/23 04:03 PM Re: Recon Wars: Taking notes: Constant wrong location [Re: OvStachel]  
nbryant Offline
nbryant  Offline

Maryland USA
Found this thread doing a search and didn't realize it was under the technical issues threads. This is not a technical issue.

Following up on an old thread but having a similar experience. I am being challenged in note taking in that I am over the target at the required height and after taking 4-5 notes only have had at most 2 and even none be worthy. What I am doing is initiating the note taking, getting the TAC post indicating such, and flying until the TAC note goes off. I then repeat this as necessary. Then as mentioned I get credit for some or none.

What am I missing?

Clarification: I do understand the mix that goes into the final results. I also assume that even if everything were perfect there may still be times when a note would not be accepted and this would be more or less historical. When I get a 0 out of 4 or 5 it confuses me. No old man or retired Marine jokes allowed!

Last edited by nbryant; 06/14/23 08:11 PM.
#4628891 - 06/15/23 09:40 AM Re: Recon Wars: Taking notes: Constant wrong location [Re: OvStachel]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Note the above comment regarding weather. If you choose to fly in bad weather (options in workshop) - and bad weather is very often in WW1, nothing will be successful. Also note the altitude you need it AGL not ASL (z key readout can give you AGL).
Also some require a successful bag drop to make the notes successful, depends on the mission.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4628901 - 06/15/23 12:39 PM Re: Recon Wars: Taking notes: Constant wrong location [Re: Polovski]  
nbryant Offline
nbryant  Offline

Maryland USA
Originally Posted by Polovski
Note the above comment regarding weather. If you choose to fly in bad weather (options in workshop) - and bad weather is very often in WW1, nothing will be successful. Also note the altitude you need it AGL not ASL (z key readout can give you AGL).
Also some require a successful bag drop to make the notes successful, depends on the mission.

I doing everything as advertised/needed. I posted this in the main forum looking for help there also:

- aircraft is configured
- I arrive over the front and begin flying over the designated area
- I use TAC to provide me feedback on if I am on target or not.
- As I enter into the rectangular area shown on the TAC I initate note taking, it is reflected on the TAC.
- I fly as level and straight as possible until the TAC dispay goes off.
- I orbit and repeat.

I have been at around 1400-1500m each time. Skies are clear with no cloud cover over these 3 missions. Once complete I have successfully dropped the notes off as instructed.

Thanks for the feedback. Time to go grind out another 2 or 3 missions to see if I can improve on this.

#4628982 - 06/16/23 12:55 PM Re: Recon Wars: Taking notes: Constant wrong location [Re: OvStachel]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Check the AGL altitude in Z readout too. Also sometimes try from further outside the rectangle you are meant to be in a good viewing area, right above may not be the best. Maybe take a couple of notes outside, and some inside, and see.

Regards,

Polovski,

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.